Official Dundas Monstercross Monster Thread- Mtbr.com
    Evil Jr.

Official Dundas Monstercross Monster Thread

With Mini-Monster's arrival due some time in mid-October, it seems prudent to move the Dundas Monstercross up a couple of weeks. I'm currently tossing around two dates: September 25 (the day after the Fall 8) or October 1 (the day before Hillbilly) so if there is a preference, let it be known.

So, what is the Dundas Monstercross? First of all, it is NOT a Hamilton Cycling Club ride. I will be taking a leisurely fall ride around the rim of the beautiful Dundas Valley on my cyclocross bike - anyone* wishing to follow me from the Cafe Domestique parking lot at 8AM (gotta start early to avoid the Tilley hat crowd) is totally welcome.

Though ever-evolving, the point of the route is to take in as many views of waterfalls and fall colours as is humanly possible. It is a mixed-surface ride best enjoyed on a cyclocross bike but really anything with knobby tires will do. No drops and all smiles.

Lunch will be had back at Monster Ranch. Soup is promised and grilled cheese sammiches are a strong possibility. Anything else (including libation) is pot-luck.

*When I say anyone, I really do mean ANYONE. Leave your internet baggage at home and come out for a great morning of laughs and general fun! Don't be shy!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Awesome. One of my fav rides of the season. Both of those days are doable for me, but my preference is for the 1st.

CANT WAIT!

Evil Jr.
    I forgot to mention that the Christie Lake leg of this year's Monstercross will feature some of our shiny new hand-built single track!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    IN!

My vote for a date would be Oct. 1st as well. Guelph CX and possible St. Catharines mega-ride (rumors) will be on the 25th.

Can't wait to see what you've been up to at CL.

mtbr member
    Can't wait to see Christie Lake!

Bonus points awarded for bunny hopping deer heads.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace View Post
    Bonus points awarded for bunny hopping deer heads.
    And for riding the half-pipe!

mtbr member
    I own a cross bike and live in Dundas. I hope I qualify for this adventure.

At this point, either day seems fine, and those weekends should be the start of chili season as well.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    I own a cross bike and live in Dundas. I hope I qualify for this adventure.

At this point, either day seems fine, and those weekends should be the start of chili season as well.
    Bring your helmet and you're in!

Speaking of food, we were down at the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning and the pickling cucumbers are in! Mrs. Monster made 8 jars of garlicky dills (which, incidentally go really well with grilled cheese sammiches)!

Saw the first few bushels of roma tomatoes out too. I see a lot of canning in my near future.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Bring your helmet and you're in!

Speaking of food, we were down at the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning and the pickling cucumbers are in! Mrs. Monster made 8 jars of garlicky dills (which, incidentally go really well with grilled cheese sammiches)!

Saw the first few bushels of roma tomatoes out too. I see a lot of canning in my near future.
    But you said nothing of pants!

I got my first local peaches for post OCUP picnic. That usually signals the start of late summer produce madness.

Unfortunately this summer, give my temporary living situation, I don't think I'll be making my usual stash of pickles, mixed vegetables, salsa and sauce (not to mention wine and cider). Things better change once sausage season arrives!

Lemmy Rules!
    In! October 1st works best for me, but really, it's all good...
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Well, let's call it October 1st then and see what happens. Looking forward to Guelph Cross on post-Fall 8 legs...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Well, let's call it October 1st then and see what happens. Looking forward to Guelph Cross on post-Fall 8 legs...
    Oct 1st is good.

You planning the full 30k route or will it be the shorter option Marc?

Evil Jr.
    Actually, I'm altering the route slightly to add a few kms.

sock puppet
    since this will be my first exposure to this annual event - cross or MTB bike? Please and thank you

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    since this will be my first exposure to this annual event - cross or MTB bike? Please and thank you
    *Ahem!*

It is a mixed-surface ride best enjoyed on a cyclocross bike but really anything with knobby tires will do.
    Am I instigating bickering? Uh oh.

Looking forward to seeing you! /insular /cliquey

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    This year most important decisions will be how best to carry and consume Rum and Beer or what ever alcohol. Keep in mind that Mrs Nerdgirl can't drink.....

Trust me.......... dealing with angry pregnant woman is a bad idea

I thinks camelbak with bladder mix of defizzed Coke and Rum would work.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Bicycles, alcoholic beverages and good friends? Sounds like my type of event!!

Sadly, we will miss the event due to a previous engagement somewhere in Tuscany.
    Jouko

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    I dont think anybody really knows me on this thread, but sounds like a fun ride. I may be in for this.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    I dont think anybody really knows me on this thread, but sounds like a fun ride. I may be in for this.
    So we'll know you after Oct 1. Come on out
    Strava made me do it....

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Trust me.......... dealing with angry pregnant woman is a bad idea

I'll mostly get angry if someone hurts themselves on the ride due to poor decision making. Were you drinking during the ride last year? I thought it was mostly restricted to after the ride (btw, Cafe Domestique just got a liquor licence!). Naive? As I said before, it's not the Anti-Race. Not a hammerfest, but plenty of climbing and worth keeping your wits about you, particularly if you're on a cross bike.

Just to make it clear, I'm not riding this one, so it might actually be faster than last year. Way too close to my due date. Mr. Monster will have his cell phone on him just in case (there's also a slim possibility that timing might not work out at all).

And I completely forgot about nspace's rut adventure, probably because I didn't see it, having partly led him into the rut. Doh.

mtbr member
    Good memory! That rut could have been disastrous at those speeds. I am still not quire sure how I didn't go over the bars, and how I didn't taco my front wheel. Definitely had butterflies in my stomach after that.

Can't wait for this ride! Usually the next day is dealing with sore wrists from all the braking with cantilevers.

Evil Jr.
    If you can make it, that would be great! It's a completely unpretentious roll through fall forests, backcountry roads and escarpment views. I think we're going on five years now and they get better every time.

mtbr member
    This event I think was its biggest last year and seems to keep on growing.

I need to make something cool for this.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    OK....I've got it scheduled.

mtbr member
    Scheduled to work but ...."cough , cough " .

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I'll mostly get angry if someone hurts themselves on the ride due to poor decision making. Were you drinking during the ride last year? I thought it was mostly restricted to after the ride (btw, Cafe Domestique just got a liquor licence!). Naive? As I said before, it's not the Anti-Race. Not a hammerfest, but plenty of climbing and worth keeping your wits about you, particularly if you're on a cross bike.
    Nope. I prefer my suffering on the bike with out modifiers these days. Let's just say the last time I did back in 96 I somehow added an extra 75k on the odometer.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    /off topic

Only reaon I'm mentioning this is due to it coming up at work. And the girls where discussing baby stuff for one of the girls.

Friendly tip from a parent,

If you are thinking of bringing anything for the future little Monster clothing wise.... bring stuff say 6 months out. When we had Gabi we had a pile of stuff for he first 2-3 months then nothing. Only other suggestion.. gift cards.

OT has ended.

mtbr member
    Washed my CX bike for the first time a few weeks ago...since...wait for it.....P2A. Well.. As you may have already guessed, there were some bearing seizures. Thankfully the cheap headset was the only casualty. Ordered me up a shiny new stainless headset from Chain Reaction in anticipation for the Monstercross ride. Can't wait.

Evil Jr.
    Other than racing, I'm riding my CX bike 100% of the time now (which admittedly isn't saying much). Rode a bit of the Monstercross course over lunch today - amazing how much bigger rocks and roots get with those UCI-compliant tires!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Remember to practice your tire changing technique specifically remounting the tire.

Lemmy Rules!
    Specifically, Unglued needs to find some kind of CO2 cartridge clinic. (Don't get the Lance Armstrong Guide to Inflating Your Own Tires - I've seen him in action and it's not that impressive.)
    Oh man, it's gonna be a long winter....
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Remember to practice your tire changing technique specifically remounting the tire.
    Specifically, Unglued needs to find some kind of CO2 cartridge clinic. (Don't get the Lance Armstrong Guide to Inflating Your Own Tires - I've seen him in action and it's not that impressive.)

mtbr member
    Headset installed. Gave my CX bike a shake down ride the other night. Things are ready to go. Can't wait for this ride.

Is there any food I can bring to assist with lunch? Mexican food?

Evil Jr.
    Mexican food?
    Duh, that's like my favourite food group!

I've ridden the entire loop piecemeal over the last two weeks and it's in fine condition. All we need now is for the trees to turn!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Is there any food I can bring to assist with lunch? Mexican food?
    Speaking of Mexican food, I'll be hangin' at the house all morning, so if M wants to come any time, I'll be here! I could even go on a VERY slow rail trail ride if she's interested.

mtbr member
    Melissa likes this idea if you want some company! I will bring her with some form of Mexican food and a fresh batch of tomatillo salsa to put on whatever it is we bring.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Melissa likes this idea if you want some company! I will bring her with some form of Mexican food and a fresh batch of tomatillo salsa to put on whatever it is we bring.
    Wicked!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Your forgetting the Tecate.

mtbr member
    I'll bring a pot of chilli if there is spot to give it a warm up. If not, I can supply some cold finger foods.

And a nice bottle of wine. Nothing like sitting down on a brisk afternoon with a warm glass of red. (hopefully it's brisk).

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Maybe I'll bring some Iskiate.

To keep up the theme.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    This sounds great! The ride seems pretty good too. I'm hoping to be able to make it.

mtbr member
    Or should I be the official in charge of acquiring and transporting buttertarts?

Seems like a good idea?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Or should I be the official in charge of acquiring and transporting buttertarts?

Seems like a good idea?
    Is that the going rate for tire reinstallation?

Evil Jr.
    I'll bring a pot of chilli if there is spot to give it a warm up. If not, I can supply some cold finger foods.
    Swing by the house before the ride and we can keep it warm in the oven.

mtbr member
    Your forgetting the Tecate.
    Although not a beer drinker, I will give you bonus points for unknowingly selecting a beer from Melissa's hometown.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Although not a beer drinker, I will give you bonus points for unknowingly selecting a beer from Melissa's hometown.

Mentioned lot's in Born to Run.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    So.. what is the official Dorito's flavour for pre ride??

Evil Jr.
    So.. what is the official Dorito's flavour for pre ride??
    Dill pickle. Pucker up!

mtbr member
    Ever since GM and NG introduced me to those Presidents Choice Habanero and Lime, I've yet to make a another Doritos purchase. Ever since they removed the Habanero and Guac explosions from their line up, I've had to pull back on the Dorito love.

sock puppet
    Coming to the Hooters near you, soon.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Coming to the Hooters near you, soon.
    For a second I thought you where hinting that Hooty crossed to the darkside.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I think this is appropriate,

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZWDTqKkWdrc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    There's a bike in my office, dear MonsterCross, dear MonsterCross,
    There's a bike in my office, dear MonsterCross, a bike.

Went out this morning and conquered that same section of rail trail. Might session it after work, really get comfortable with it.

I should be healthy enough to pull up the rear, I can volunteer for sweep since I know the area! Though I'll likely be riding full squish, no cross bike.

Last couple days have seen a big increase in range of motion on my arm. Don't think it's quite a bad as I originally expected, though I won't be rock climbing anytime soon.

Evil Jr.
    Went out this morning and conquered that same section of rail trail. Might session it after work, really get comfortable with it.
    I rode it yesterday at lunch very gingerly. Escaped unscathed.

Glad to hear you're feeling better!

bi-winning
    There's a bike in my office, dear MonsterCross, dear MonsterCross,
    There's a bike in my office, dear MonsterCross, a bike.

I should be healthy enough to pull up the rear, I can volunteer for sweep since I know the area! Though I'll likely be riding full squish, no cross bike.

Last couple days have seen a big increase in range of motion on my arm. Don't think it's quite a bad as I originally expected, though I won't be rock climbing anytime soon.
    Glad to hear it is improving quickly. Just don't do too much too soon.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    Glad to hear it is improving quickly. Just don't do too much too soon.
    Yes Mom!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Isn't it so much fun trying to massage the tendons so they will release?

mtbr member

I might have missed it but how big is the monster?

How far are we riding, and how long does it take? Sounds like a fun ride.

Evil Jr.
    It's somewhere between 30 and 40 km and at sight-seeing pace, we should get 'er wrapped up in a bout 3 hours, give or take.

Lemmy Rules!
    For the record, the Misfit is having a tubeless set up installed even as we speak. Can the 'cross bike be far behind?
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member

sorry about all the questions but when we end up at the

ranch, how far to get back to the start as I might have to leave before noon?
    It sure would be nice to meet mtbrs from around here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    ranch, how far to get back to the start as I might have to leave before noon?
    It sure would be nice to meet mtbrs from around here.
    Under 2 minutes and it's all downhill.

Depending on your 'miss manners' you may not even have to stop, or pedal.

Thursday is Chilli making night. Really looking forward to getting out on my bike and having a great ride.

Evil Jr.
    We'll actually finish right back at the start and proceed to the "ranch" from there but they're only about 2 minutes apart by bike.

The walnuts and sumacs have turned and the maples are just getting there. It's gonna be gorgeous! (The stuff I did hit this afternoon didn't even seem all that wet!)

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Will be on the MTB as well. Stupid tendons haven't fully released from the last 2 crashes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Assuming still 8am start at Cafe Domestique?

Evil Jr.
    Assuming still 8am start at Cafe Domestique?
    That's the idea.

I'll be the dorky guy on the Yeti.

bi-winning
    That's the idea.
    Yeah, I'm going to try to make it out for this.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member

I'll be the dorky guy on the Yeti.

That makes two of us.

GM will have less suspension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    That makes two of us.

GM will have less suspension.
    Three...but I will be on FS MTB...no CX bike...and I dont think the road would be a good idea...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Three...but I will be on FS MTB...no CX bike...and I dont think the road would be a good idea...
    That makes 3 on MTB's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Make that 4 mountain bikes, assuming I remember how to wake up before 7am.

Lemmy Rules!
    Rode my cyclocross bike in anger for the first time tonight. It's way more fun doing a cx course on the right bike (spectacular downhill/wet grass wipeout notwithstanding). I'm pretty pumped to ride it not in anger on Saturday morning. Looking forward to seeing the usual suspects, and by the sound of it, meeting some new MTBR'ers.

Will whip up a batch of the World's Best Chip Dip. Should go good with the Dorito's.
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    We were just out reconnoitering a Valley section of the ride - there were a couple of mud patches but nothing to fuss about.

PLEASE NOTE, while we probably won't need it, be sure to bring $4 cash along with you. Part of the course "poaches" a section of the Dundas Valley and we MAY encounter an over-enthusiastic fee collector.

For anyone daring enough to bring a CX bike, be sure to pack at least one tube with you. There are plenty of rocks and roots just waiting to prey on the unsuspecting and unprepared.

mtbr member
    Thx for the update Marc!

Good call on the tube, I am notorious for forgetting both the tube and the cash. I am going to keep me eye out for an epic trenches in the middle of the trail this time round.

Evil Jr.
    Our grilled-cheeses will be slightly less epic than this but there will be Jager in the freezer...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CKJgcEgvx4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

All my faucets is Moen.

Sick flip bro...

That was one thing I was going to ask, how rocky/rooty is it. I was thinking just run a high psi (usually run a 55 if I'm riding single track). So you're saying its best not to use a cross bike?

Not that I mind, since I just finished building my new frame.

mtbr member
    If you have a cross bike, bring it. If you don't bring your MTB. This ride is awesome on a CX bike. I think I wan around 45-50psi last year and it was fine.

Evil Jr.
    Most of the ride is super-smooth (especially the rail trail and road sections) but I'm not gonna lie, even I've flatted on it. The very first section we dive into from the ranch is fairly rocky. I'll be running "high" pressure on my 'cross bike.

Fair warning: the final descent down the gravel chute is considerably rockier than last year so make sure your brakes are working as best they can.

The original theme of the Monstercross is that it's a MTB ride on 'cross bikes so it's meant to be challenging but it's not any sort of race so you can pick away at stuff at your own pace.

mtbr member
    Can you divulge the proposed route?

My heart says cross bike for the adventure, my brain says full squish for safety.

All my faucets is Moen.
    If you have a cross bike, bring it.
    'nuff said...
    I'll be on my 'cross bike, his name is Ponyboy.

Evil Jr.
    Can you divulge the proposed route?

My heart says cross bike for the adventure, my brain says full squish for safety.
    My names for trails are probably different from yours but let's give it a go...

Domestique
    >Golf Course
    >McCormack
    >Governor's Road
    >John R. White
    >Spencer Creek
    >*poach*
    >Sulphur Creek
    >Main Loop
    >Headwaters
    >Martin Road
    >Mineral Springs Road
    >Rail Trail
    >Slote Road
    >Old Governor's Road
    >Inksetter Road
    >Concession 2
    >Middletown Road
    >CHRISTIE LAKE!!!
    >Optimist
    >Bruce
    >Sydenham Street
    Domestique

Might have missed something here or there but that's the general idea.

I Strava Hamburgers
    .... urge to ditch friends and family to ride on Saturday rising..........

mtbr member
    My names for trails are probably different from yours but let's give it a go...

Domestique
    >Golf Course
    >McCormack
    >Governor's Road
    >John R. White
    >Spencer Creek
    >*poach*
    >Sulphur Creek
    >Main Loop
    >Headwaters
    >Martin Road
    >Mineral Springs Road
    >Rail Trail
    >Slote Road
    >Old Governor's Road
    >Inksetter Road
    >Concession 2
    >Middletown Road
    >CHRISTIE LAKE!!!
    >Optimist
    >Bruce
    >Sydenham Street
    Domestique

Might have missed something here or there but that's the general idea.
    Makes pretty good sense to me.

No headwaters climb? Ah shucks.

Still undecided, but the brain is likely going to win out.

Evil Jr.
    No headwaters climb? Ah shucks.
    Absolutely Headwaters climb (and super high-speed descent)! We're taking the long way 'round!

mtbr member
    Absolutely Headwaters climb (and super high-speed descent)! We're taking the long way 'round!
    Oh, then why not exit via Gravel Pit Road to avoid back tracking?

Evil Jr.
    Oh, then why not exit via Gravel Pit Road to avoid back tracking?
    Could do. That's a lot of fun too and it's just a quick jaunt over to the rail trail but I do like to give people who've done P2A the opportunity to ride Martin Road in the "fun" direction.

mtbr member
    Could do. That's a lot of fun too and it's just a quick jaunt over to the rail trail but I do like to give people who've done P2A the opportunity to ride Martin Road in the "fun" direction.
    Good point.

Not to mention, the return trip back from the final loop intersection to Martin Road is a lot funner then the trip out.

Actually most of the time when I do headwaters now, I ride the rail trail to Gravel Pit, do the climb, one, or both ways, then back via headwaters.

bi-winning
    The route sounds great. I will not be riding a suspended bicycle.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    'nuff said...
    I'll be on my 'cross bike, his name is Ponyboy.
    After my first 'cross race on it, and the above-noted high speed wipeout, I have re-named my cx bike Gravedigger.
    Strava made me do it....

bi-winning
    For anyone daring enough to bring a CX bike, be sure to pack at least one tube with you. There are plenty of rocks and roots just waiting to prey on the unsuspecting and unprepared.
    This is definitely good advice. There's more and more leaves falling down in the woods, hiding the rocks and roots that are eager to pinch flat a skinny little tire. Not to mention, the Hawthorn....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Fair warning: the final descent down the gravel chute is considerably rockier than last year so make sure your brakes are working as best they can.

Exellent.

Evil Jr.
    Cold front's comin'. Dress warmly (in layers)!

mtbr member
    Is there anything that would cause this ride to be canceled, or at worst, just re-routed? Just a chance of showers in the morning.

On side note, I made chili last night. It was good, unfortunately I have been sick and I was coughing and sneezing while I was making it. I doubt anyone wants any!

Feeling a lot better this morning, so I'll disinfect my hands and pick up some well guarded buttertarts tomorrow morning.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Is there anything that would cause this ride to be canceled, or at worst, just re-routed?
    Well, yes there is, but it isn't the weather. If I go into labour, someone else can lead the ride. Looking good so far, though!

mtbr member
    Well, yes there is, but it isn't the weather. If I go into labour, someone else can lead the ride. Looking good so far, though!
    Ha.....I'll take over if need be!

Evil Jr.
    My favourite weather for this ride is light drizzle with a good snap in the air. Makes the soup (and Jager) at the end seem like heaven!

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    I've been following this thread...it sounds like it is going to be an absolutely fantastic time - great riding, good people, food + beer. So much fun. Hoping I can make it next year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    On side note, I made chili last night. It was good, unfortunately I have been sick and I was coughing and sneezing while I was making it. I doubt anyone wants any!
    At least we know who the Typhoid Mary is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    At least we know who the Typhoid Mary is.
    Ah, it's just about worked it's way through, just getting out the remains. I'll bring up sweep to prevent the possibility of hitting anyone with a lugy.

Consult this thread by our leader to see the etiquette on lugies.

http://forums.mtbr.com/eastern-canad...on-679111.html

If I'm still feel at all under the weather tomorrow, I'll forgo the get together and eat all the buttertarts myself.

mtbr member

does that mean we stuff some more items in backpack

like kettle to boil water, blankets, a small branch to bite on. My wife would probably remind me that "that ain't funny".

Evil Jr.
    To clarify: Mrs. Monster will NOT be along on the ride one way or the other. However, if she does go into labour, I will be out and CptSydor will take over.

All my faucets is Moen.
    ...if she does go into labour, I will be out and CptSydor will take over.
    can we still go to you house, eat your food and drink your alcohol?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    can we still go to you house, eat your food and drink your alcohol?
    I'll leave the key under the welcome matt (it says "Wipe Your Paws" on it, ) just be sure that the last person out turns out the lights and locks back up.

mtbr member
    To clarify: Mrs. Monster will NOT be along on the ride one way or the other. However, if she does go into labour, I will be out and CptSydor will take over.
    Which hospital? I think we could re-route the ride to get you there will minimal road! Blessings of urban trails.

Evil Jr.
    Which hospital? I think we could re-route the ride to get you there will minimal road! Blessings of urban trails.
    St. Joe's. Funny enough, the Hamilton Endurance ride went RIGHT by the maternity ward! I didn't even realise until we took the tour!

mtbr member
    I'll leave the key under the welcome matt (it says "Wipe Your Paws" on it, ) just be sure that the last person out turns out the lights and locks back up.
    Just to be 100% clear, when do we need to be out by if this situation occurs? From all your posts about food and drink you may have supplies to keep us amused for a while.

Evil Jr.
    Just to be 100% clear, when do we need to be out by if this situation occurs? From all your posts about food and drink you may have supplies to keep us amused for a while.
    One night in Delivery/Recovery and one night in Post-Partum, so 48 hours ought to do. Feel free to do a load of laundry and feed the cat while your here.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    All I have to say to this whole thing is:
    Men. Eyeroll.

mtbr member
    One night in Delivery/Recovery and one night in Post-Partum, so 48 hours ought to do. Feel free to do a load of laundry and feed the cat while your here.
    Launder the cat and feed the sheets. Got it.

Is the babies room decorated? I'm sure Jager will give us inspiration.

mtbr member

you would think that as men grow older that become

Men. Eyeroll.
    more sophisticated, more charming, more sensible, more reliable, have better judgment, but I can tell you that ain't so. Blame it on the bike, because everytime I throw a leg over the crossbar, the 12 year old kid gets to sneak out again.

Evil Jr.
    Is the babies room decorated? I'm sure Jager will give us inspiration.
    All done (and Jager did have a helping hand, )!

We got these awesome curtains (there are felt clouds sewn on along the top that are hard to see in this pic.):

And this wicked night light (it changes colours!):

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    This is cold???

mtbr member
    Decided on the CX bike, shoulder be damned.

Now the next decision, which potent potable to bring...

Evil Jr.
    Ooh, just got a bottle of that La Trappe for the Hustle on Sunday! Nice!

Pumpkin Red Curry soup: done! Bread and cheese: acquired!

Only one more sleep to Monstercross!

bi-winning
    I'll be riding to the start of the ride (under 10km) but I might bring a backpack with a change of clothes for hanging out after. I'll just have to stash it in somebody's car or something while we are riding. I don't expect that will be a problem.

See you all bright and early tomorrow.

mtbr member
    RKJ.. I'll have my truck there for buttertart, potent potable and cloth changing purpose. You can toss stuff in.

GM. First time with La Trappe, actually really only started diving into these style of beers. Yummy. I was talking with colleague about his beer tours in Belgium. Might be one of my next trips.

Actually, I'm diving in La Trappe right now. Psuedo celebratory, may change the way I look at mountain biking and give me qualifications to be an EC-MTBR moderator.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Men. Eyeroll.
    Kim... it's better than having Marc hovering over you every second.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    And this wicked night light (it changes colours!):
    If your kid ends up being a serial killer, we'll know where it all went wrong.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    If your kid ends up being a serial killer, we'll know where it all went wrong.
    Well, I'd prefer he was a pro DH rider (Mrs. Monster is cringing as we speak) but I don't want to get my hopes up or heels down.

mtbr member
    I suspect a DJ will be created

Ghosts N Stuff (Hard Intro Version) - YouTube

Evil Jr.

What an odd coincidence. I was listening to this when you posted:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bXWk-aInsow" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pro DJ/Pro DJ rider would be just fine also.

bi-winning

Wow, I could not listen to that kind of music at that recording quality. I had no idea they wore those fabulous um, headpieces when doing their live shows though, so I guess I learned something.

Lemmy Rules!
    What should we feed the cat to?
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Shockingly, I'm awake before sunrise on a weekend. This hasn't happened since the days when I did contract work. See you guys at at 8!

bi-winning

bi-winning
    Thank you thank you thank you.

Thanks for the ride, thanks for the food.

I had a great time.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Thank you thank you thank you.

Thanks for the ride, thanks for the food.

I had a great time.
    Dido.
    Great day.
    Thanks guys and gals.

mtbr member
    Great big thank you to the GM and Nerdgirl for hosting and preparing some amazing soup and grilled cheese sammiches.

It was a great ride with great company.

Some highlights from the back of the pack.

- We hit some greasy bridges. Most people had some form of slip sliding adventure. I didn't see it, but it sounds like Louda can slide across bridges like Penguins do across the snow.

- GM lead me through some new trail (and more than just a little). And I lead the 100 km ride that doesn't touch everything I know. There may be a 100 miler Hamilton Endurance ride next year. The area has such a wealth of paths and trail.

- I lost Unglued twice as sweep. Oh and Kaikara. Those guys are sneaky and were trying to get me fired.

- Unglued's CX bike is cursed, it's not him. I think that bike could get an unfix-able flat with a solid rubber tire.

- Enduramil really is a dirt bag, he doesn't just play one on the internet.

- Best bike of day was Ol-Crank. He truly had a franken Monster cross bike that embodied this ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    And that was the longest ride I've done all year.
    Apparently "oh there's not that more climbing left" does indeed translate to "there's another 2500' between here and the end of the ride".
    Awesome ride, great company and great food!

bi-winning
    There may be a 100 miler Hamilton Endurance ride next year.
    If you want to actually cover 100 miles, you will have to have some type of qualification criteria for those hoping to join you.

mtbr member
    If you want to actually cover 100 miles, you will have to have some type of qualification criteria for those hoping to join you.
    Yes, I agree. It would be by invitation only, though people can submit CV's with their historical km/flat ratios. You will need to have your bike certified by a mechanic within 48 hours of the ride. It will be a drop ride as well, find your own way home if something goes wrong!

Lemmy Rules!
    What a great day! Thanks, to everyone, especially the Monsters, for making this such a memorable ride....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanx for ride today guys, enjoyed myself being out on the bike and on some new trails too!!

Cheers

Verndog

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Thanks for the day out to all. To Kim and Marc for the soup. The only thing that made it complete was a few laps of the pump track in the Don as the sun set.

Now for the rematch with the DH in a week when more rested,

sock puppet
    great day in the cross bike saddle, which made it more challenging and different kind of fun. Marc - monster level quality organization - thanks goes to you and Kim. I am sorry I could not hang around - had to go back and spend time with my family. My wife and son have been very generous with me this season.

Thanks everyone for great company and it was nice to meet more of MTBR characters - a great bunch of real life people. Even Endura, I know... Sounds weird, but it is true...

Awesome area to ride around. Nice work Marc in Christie Lake area. Pine trail is awesome. Bermy ride will be challenging fun.... Captain - you really tried hard to lose Unglued and kaikara. But somehow you managed to find them - good work.

Thanks to the spill on the first greasy bridge, I have a nice 6' cut on my left butt cheek, after almost impaling myself on that rusty peak that was protruding from the creek bank. I'll have to keep an eye on it and get a shot if it gets worse. Considering the circumstances, I was lucky. So far, so good.

mtbr member

absolutely the best day on a bike for a long time, and

thanks for letting me tag along. I never dreamed that there were so many trails so close to home. Nice work on the Christie Lake trails.
    Sorry I had to bail but family was waiting at home for my birthday, actually tomorrow.

the old guy,

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    A great big Thank You GM and Nerdgirl. The soup was awesome, and the grilled cheese hit the spot. The trails were great, and it is always good to meet new MTBers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Another Monsters ride success!!! Thanks for an wicked fun day, helping me get acquainted with Hellcat and learning what I can do with her on the trails and rutty downhills, great company, and perfectly matched post ride comfort foods!

Awesome pics Rkj, really captured the beauty of the ride with all the gorgeous fall colours!

It was a good warm up ride for the Tour de King today, ie. acclimatizing to cold weather wet riding!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Amazing ride. Lots of trails I had never seen before. Thanks to the monsters for hosting us all and the soup and food were amazing.

mtbr member
    Amazing ride and wonderful hosting by Marc and Kim!

Thanks to Kim for taking Melissa out for a nice easy ride

Great photos. I will try to post a couple this afternoon!

Evil Jr.
    Super, giant mega-thanks to everyone that entrusted me with their Saturday morning!

Only two flats, one mechanical and no (serious, I hope) injuries on what was the hugest Monstercross yet speaks to its success.

I can, at times, take for granted just how much amazing riding we have in Dundas/Hamilton but sharing it with other people always helps me see it again with fresh eyes (the pics help a lot too - love the Monster Kitty/Louda shot, BTW!).

Yesterday's ride and today's Hustle give me the greatest sort of warm fuzzy. The richness of our lives is directly proportional to the quality of our friends, old and new alike, and for that, we are tremendously grateful so thank you all!

Only 364 sleeps until Monstercross 2012!

mtbr member
    How many riders did you have ...8 - 10 ??

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    I think there were more like 15ish riders altogether. Someone took a group picture so maybe they could post it up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! 21 riders

21 riders out for ther 2011 monstercross event, did anyone keep track of milage, average speed and riding time?
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by VernDog View Post
    21 riders out for ther 2011 monstercross event, did anyone keep track of milage, average speed and riding time?
    Wow there were that many. Someone mentioned 42km in distance while we were eating. I would like to see a GPS track of the ride.

Lemmy Rules!
    I got 42 km and an average speed of 15ish km. I think riding rime was about 2:45
    Strava made me do it....

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikara View Post
    I think there were more like 15ish riders altogether. Someone took a group picture so maybe they could post it up.
    Craig's camera took this one. I count 17, camera was on a tripod...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    did anyone keep track of milage, average speed and riding time?
    My bike computer says just under 45km including the putting around in the parking lot, average speed of 15.4km/h and ride time of 2:55. Max speed was a surprisingly high 47.5km/h.

mtbr member
    Looks like you all had a really great day. I think next year I'll have to skip the TdK and make it out for this one.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    - Enduramil really is a dirt bag, he doesn't just play one on the internet.
    Now just need to figure out how to make money at it.

I can, at times, take for granted just how much amazing riding we have in Dundas/Hamilton but sharing it with other people always helps me see it again with fresh eyes (the pics help a lot too - love the Monster Kitty/Louda shot, BTW!).
    You know... that last DH run would make a fine Tuesday night beer event.

namagomi
    Does the monster kitty speak it's mind?

Worse than a 2 year old.

Saturday was great riding at least in the forest... probably a bit cold on the road? Nice little waterfall you got there GM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Dont skip the TdK...do both!!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Saturday was great riding at least in the forest... probably a bit cold on the road? Nice little waterfall you got there GM.
    The air was quite "fresh" out on the road so I was sure to keep that to a minimum. We only needed to do a few km up inksetter to bridge Dudas Valley and Christie Lake.

The ride actually passes 5 or 6 individual waterfalls and/or cascades but the two in the pics are definitely the most dramatic!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Thanks to Kim for taking Melissa out for a nice easy ride
    It was the other way around! Thanks to Melissa for coming out on a nice easy ride with me! That way I didn't have to feel grumpy that y'all were out on your bikes having a good time while I was stuck at home. Looking forward to seeing her come out more often!

Lemmy Rules!

- I lost Unglued twice as sweep. Oh and Kaikara. Those guys are sneaky and were trying to get me fired.

- Unglued's CX bike is cursed, it's not him. I think that bike could get an unfix-able flat with a solid rubber tire.

Who else but me could get dropped on a no-drop ride? Twice.
    Strava made me do it....