OCup #7 Provincials at Hardwood- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

OCup #7 Provincials at Hardwood

Has anyone had a chance to preride the course yet? What's it like?

Bored
    Great course. Most of the hills are in the first 3 km. Finish at the top of the BMX course.

It will be a great race for attrition.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Living Life Behind Bars..
    I agree, rode it yesterday, I found the first few kms really tough and there is one beyotch of a hill ( at least for me ) and the bit leading into the road climb was super fast. Course is about 10 km per lap ish I think and you don't do bone shaker on the first lap but on the laps after that it is right after the start. Most of the course is in the ' wilderness section ' across the road. It was good should be nice plus there was not a lot of sand at all in the area across the road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

attrition

Rode two laps Sunday and was max HR for the first 10-15 mins each lap... There's not a lot of room to pass once you get on the wilderness side of the road past coffee time. The course is the 8hr course we rode back in July but in reverse... a lot of the sketchy downhill sections are now sketchy uphills with root ledges from having hundreds of people skidding down the trail previously.

Once up past the quarry, it's hammer time. Double track and full throttle to make up ground and time. The downhill parallel to the road is good fun but watch the hard right hander onto the road that comes up earlier than expected.

Once again, hammer up the road to make up time and then calm down as the singletrack is rutted and tight pretty much all the way to the start finish.

Not sure how they are incorporating bone shaker but there's two clear lines.. I was riding the right side and my 8 yr old was making it down the left .. he managed to have the right line into the concrete ramp over the rock while I was forced to pick my way down and trying not to endo in front of junior!

Good fun .. not sure if I have the guts to try to race that for 3or 4 + laps...

good luck to those that do

mtbr member
    I went through the course on Saturday and I found it difficult for SSing. The first few kilometers have some tough climbs and they come at you hard and fast. After that the course is very fast. Tall gears and suspension would certainly help. It is not a technical course, but all that speed can make it challenging (especially riding a rigid).

But I am not too sure about the course layout. My understanding is that towards the end of the loop you actually pass the BMX course and drop into lower boneshaker and then come back up near the start line. At least that is what I did. Yet I don't think it makes sense to finish by climbing out of boneshaker. Perhaps on the last loop we'll take the BMX course and finish in the traditional way.

Anyhoo, my computer showed 9.1 km per loop. I did 3 loops, each finishing with the boneshaker as I described. I used my rigid SS with 32:17 gearing.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Living Life Behind Bars..
    you climb the bmx track and the=n drop into boneshaker but not on lap #1.

mtbr member
    Thanks g-t-, that seems to make sense now that I look at the course map. I will pre-ride the course again this coming weekend and do it properly.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Rode the course 5 times now...each time seems faster and more fun!!! The climbs at the start actually seemed shorter once I knew what was coming up next. This is going to be a Very Painful 15 minutes for me...then fun...then repeat!!!!
    Yup - it is up BMX, then down boneshaker.
    Can't wait.

Members who have read this thread: 0