OCA Memhership info needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

OCA Memhership info needed

I would like to join the OCA as an Affiliate Member, but I am not affiliated with any club. Yet a General Member states "non-riding".

Any advise? Before I email the OCA with such a newbie question, I thought I'd ask it here first, as I'm sure someone will know the answer.

TIA
    I just want to ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Borador View Post
    I would like to join the OCA as an Affiliate Member, but I am not affiliated with any club. Yet a General Member states "non-riding".

Any advise? Before I email the OCA with such a newbie question, I thought I'd ask it here first, as I'm sure someone will know the answer.

TIA
    not to answer a question with a question but what are you looking to do with a membership?

The club affiliate membership, you would need to join a club to have access too. All clubs(are supposed) to be open membership and usually have a very low cost to join usually 20-30 dollars plus the insurance.

You may be better served with a citizen permit, it basically covers the insurance cost and lets you take part in events like weekly races, citizen races like substance projects , if you join a club your cost would be lower as the insurance is paid for.

General membership- gives you a vote at the AGM, and in theory would allow you to serve on committees and the board but without the need for riding insurance.

if you don't belong to a club or team but are looking to do events go for the citizen permit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    if you don't belong to a club or team but are looking to do events go for the citizen permit.
    There is a riding group on Facebook that requires members to have insurance coverage through OCA, but they are not listed as an Affiliate themselves, so although I do not have plans on competing, I guess the Citizen Permit is the way to get coverage.

Thanks
    I just want to ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There is a riding group on Facebook that requires members to have insurance coverage through OCA, but they are not listed as an Affiliate themselves, so although I do not have plans on competing, I guess the Citizen Permit is the way to get coverage.

Thanks
    Interesting, the insurance only covers a rider when taking part in a (affiliated) club or teams approved and submitted group rides. Or at a sanctioned event. Or when being coached by a licensed certified coach.

I'd double check with the group, that they are affiliated with the OCA cause if they're not the insurance won't be in effect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swabag View Post
    Interesting, the insurance only covers a rider when taking part in a (affiliated) club or teams approved and submitted group rides. Or at a sanctioned event. Or when being coached by a licensed certified coach.

I'd double check with the group, that they are affiliated with the OCA cause if they're not the insurance won't be in effect.
    I got that same impression when I read the 'fine print' on the OCA website. Thank you for clarifying
    I just want to ride

mtbr member
    You would need to join an OCA-affiliated club in order to pull an affiliate membership. You'd have to pay for both the club membership and the OCA license at the same time through the CCN Bikes website.

However, the affiliate license is mostly offered as a formality these days, as most clubs clubs require at least a citizen permit for membership because they assume that you'll be participating in citizen class events.

However, if you join an IMBA aligned club things are completely different.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys. I just want to ride with a group of people for fun. So I ended up creating a FB group called Simply Cycling. We'll see if this works out. If not, I may end up joining a cycling club.
    I just want to ride

mtbr member
    You could also check with some of the shops in your area to see if they know of any informal rides. I used to be cold to the idea, but now I'm a big advocate of joining a club though.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    It's probably not a big deal, but just be aware that as a ride leader, you potentially could be sued. If there's no club or insurance, there's always the (small) risk that you could lose everything.

mtbr member

Who do you all ride with then?

It's all very confusing. Even joining in on a ride with a bunch of like minded people is not covered under OCA insurance anyway. So as far as I can tell, being a member of OCA would be a mute point??? Unless I joined an actual "cycling club"??? And my local cycling club only does road and cyclocross. I was hoping for a mix of road, singletrack, and gravel trail type riding.

Frustrating to say the least....
    I just want to ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by permanentrevolution View Post
    You could also check with some of the shops in your area to see if they know of any informal rides. I used to be cold to the idea, but now I'm a big advocate of joining a club though.
    LOL! That's how this started. I went on a few rides with my lbs 'group'. They wanted to expand beyond just riders associated with that one lbs. Understandably, they don't want to be held liable, and therefore require 'members' to be affiliated with or a member of OCA.

I'll send them a private pm to get clarification...thanks
    I just want to ride

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It's all very confusing. Even joining in on a ride with a bunch of like minded people is not covered under OCA insurance anyway. So as far as I can tell, being a member of OCA would be a mute point??? Unless I joined an actual "cycling club"??? And my local cycling club only does road and cyclocross. I was hoping for a mix of road, singletrack, and gravel trail type riding.

Frustrating to say the least....
    have you offered to organize an off road component to your local club? Many clubs do lean towards the road side of things but most are open to a MTB component it just takes a member or members to step forward and organize it.

be thankful your not going after Triathlon club insurance, their standards for sanctioned rides are crazy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I love a good OCA thread.
    Guy wants to ride with some of his buddies and his best option is to organize an entire MTB division for his local club.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    I love a good OCA thread.
    Guy wants to ride with some of his buddies and his best option is to organize an entire MTB division for his local club.
    I end up looking at this every year trying to refresh my memory as an exec member of my club.

There is nothing inherently wrong with riding with a bunch of friends as a non-member of the OCA/a club. If something goes pear-shaped on the ride, there is always the risk of litigation for someone to try and recover any losses (whether OCA insurance is a factor or not). When you're riding with two of your close riding pals, the likelihood of being slapped with a suit is probably pretty low, all things considered. The risk increases with the number of people involved (and to a degree with the level of familiarity of everyone involved). The potential damages of a large group crash are also much higher. Substitute any other sport/activity for cycling and it's the same thing - there's nothing special about our sport in this regard.

What we do have is an insurance program offered by the organizing body within the province (as a part of our national and international body) which does provide an insurance program that provides a level of protection in the event of an incident. And by protection, that means money to pay for a lawyer to mount a defense if you need it.

As to Savvy's point about the LBS group, the requirement likely comes from the LBS not wanting to assume full liability should something happen on the AcmeX LBS Group Ride. Because even if their name is peripherally associated with the ride, if something goes wrong they will be dragged into the lawsuit and be required to defend themselves. They may ultimately not be held responsible depending on the circumstances of the case, but it's still time and headaches and costs to deal with. Requiring insurance protects them (in the way I described above) against that.

When you ride independently (e.g. by emailing 1, 2, 5 or 10 of your close friends), you are basically self-insuring against anything happening. If you do get drawn into a legal situation, you are on the hook for the expenses yourself. But as I said above, that's no different than doing the same for a pickup game of baseball, ultimate frisbee, or cliff diving (though clearly the inherent risks of each sport vary widely).