O-Cup #6 - Kelso (2)

Printable View

• 08-05-2011
    osokolo
    O-Cup #6 - Kelso (2)
    I hope mods will let this one live, but we have to keep it civilized. This thread is important for exchanging useful information about this race, for those that want/need it.

Here is the course map so that we can use trail names that Chico uses on their map for simpler communication...

Chico Racing - Course Map
  • 08-05-2011
    CdaleTony
    Off to a good start :madman:

Lets TRY to keep it to the topic, everyone. I understand warnings have been given, so i imagine with the closing of the first thread pretty much everyone gets the idea.
    Next I suppose is timeouts:confused:

From
    this
    point
    on

Or is it this point?
    Seriously with 10k posts, you just HAVE to piss on a thread, for what, piss sakes??

I swear kids, dont make me pull this thread over.........................;)
  • 08-06-2011
    Louda
    EDITED for chrissakes... CDT

Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow. Looking forward to it! Not necessarily the escarpment climb but as Superfly put it... it's as easy as 1, 2, 3... well for those of us who only have to climb it 3 times that is ;)

The feed zone is going to be a bit of a grunt going up the hill back up to that rocky singletrack bit before we get spit out to loop around again. I did notice some glass shards in there so be careful. I saw the Chico crew last night and mentioned it to them. Lots of pinch flats in there last year too, so ride smart!
  • 08-06-2011
    CdaleTony
    Ya know, you would think that warnings would suffice...................

Do people really think that people pointing out the other guy started it and isnt stopping, and someone else pointing they arent stopping reminding us the other guy isnt stopping.
    WTF.
    I imagine timeouts or bans are coming. I will not be around this weekend to stand over the sandbox.

Also, just so you know, on the internet? There is NO having The Last Word.....:madman:
    CDT
  • 08-06-2011
    osokolo
    EDITED - CDT

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louda
    Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow. Looking forward to it! Not necessarily the escarpment climb but as Superfly put it... it's as easy as 1, 2, 3... well for those of us who only have to climb it 3 times that is ;)

The feed zone is going to be a bit of a grunt going up the hill back up to that rocky singletrack bit before we get spit out to loop around again. I did notice some glass shards in there so be careful. I saw the Chico crew last night and mentioned it to them. Lots of pinch flats in there last year too, so ride smart!

I hope the weather cooperates as well. Rocks would be very slick if wet...

Is it just me, or does that last bit of the long fire road climb - really hurts? Fourth lap will be character building, no doubt...

Let us know how the preride goes - for those that are doing it today...
  • 08-06-2011
    CdaleTony
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CdaleTony View Post
    Ya know, you would think that warnings would suffice...................

Do people really think that people pointing out the other guy started it and isnt stopping, and someone else pointing they arent stopping reminding us the other guy isnt stopping.
    WTF.
    I imagine timeouts or bans are coming. I will not be around this weekend to stand over the sandbox.

Also, just so you know, on the internet? There is NO having The Last Word.....:madman:
    CDT

quoted
  • 08-06-2011
    aerius
    Quote:

Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    I hope the weather cooperates as well. Rocks would be very slick if wet...

I dunno, I thought Kelso was way more fun when I raced there in a rainstorm. Normally I wouldn't even think about racing there, but after helping a friend pre-ride the course in the rain I signed up and went for it. It was my best ever showing in an O-cup thanks to a disproportionate number of riders crashing out and DNFing.
  • 08-06-2011
    osokolo
    thats because of your mad riding skillz. An average racer is higher in endurance and lower in skills, compared to very skilled week/weekend warrior....

At this time of year - there is some sort of vegetation on most rocks in Kelso and when wet - it changes the game completely... I admit, I avoid Kelso when wet as there are other options that are more fun FOR ME. Howerver, raced/rode many a trail, including Buckwallow and raced LaRuta in torrential downpours.... Will race Kelso as well, if it rains... Just differently...
  • 08-06-2011
    BrokenAnimator
    There is no "vegetation" on the rocks at Kelso on the course, Kelso is rode daily and any "vegetation" on the rocks would not last long. SO this is not true.

Kelso is one of the best places to ride when wet as the rocks do get slippy but not too much that it is unrideable. Certain parts have better drainage than others, but overall still fun riding dry or wet.
  • 08-06-2011
    trekbikes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    EDITED for chrissakes... CDT

Louda, you mention the rocky singletrack before the loop. Where was that? When I pre-rode on Thursday night it seemed to take us along the gravelly downhill double track at the base of the hill. Have they made a change to the course? Also, does anyone know how well Kelso does or does not drain and dry up after a rain? I am getting really tired of having to wash my bike!
  • 08-06-2011
    osokolo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trekbikes View Post
    Louda, you mention the rocky singletrack before the loop. Where was that? When I pre-rode on Thursday night it seemed to take us along the gravelly downhill double track at the base of the hill. Have they made a change to the course? Also, does anyone know how well Kelso does or does not drain and dry up after a rain? I am getting really tired of having to wash my bike!

Yeah, from the gravel road you go back up the ridge and then across right in to the short wooded rock garden (going down) - we had it in the course 2 years ago. Then you are back into the start/finish loop.

It was not marked on Thursday with tape, but now should be. The feed zone is on that climb up the ridge so it will be a bit harder to do what you have to do in the feed zone...

If it rains - it will drain fine. Short showers will not soften the grounds significantly but there may be a few puddles here and there... Given the temps, it will dry up quickly...
  • 08-06-2011
    aerius
    Quote:

Originally Posted by trekbikes View Post
    Also, does anyone know how well Kelso does or does not drain and dry up after a rain? I am getting really tired of having to wash my bike!

Considering how dry it's been this year, there should only be a few small mud puddles the day after a rainstorm, and those will probably be gone after the first waves of riders get a couple laps in.
  • 08-06-2011
    Unglued
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CdaleTony View Post
    Y on the internet? There is NO having The Last Word.....:madman:
    CDT

Well played CDT. I am going to make this my new signature:thumbsup:
  • 08-06-2011
    Trev
    Pre rode today, a few changes with adding in the rock garden after the feed zone. I'm happy that's in but if you have a weak bottle cage then you'll be running dry the whole lap, I remember 2 years ago all of the bottles that got dropped in that rock garden.

The 2' step up is in the trail called Rough Trade, as far as I know Deer Run is not in the race this year. I went back and forth on it about 10 times today and eventually convinced myself of a line I was happy with, near the right side of the middle, hit it with speed and use your momentum to get you over, seemed to work well. I'm looking forward to the race tomorrow, all those false flats will be taking its toll by the 5th lap

best of luck to everyone tomorrow
  • 08-06-2011
    having fun
    Small Block 8s or Racing Ralphs?
  • 08-06-2011
    osokolo
    if there is a risk of rain - RR
    I have RR on the front no matter what...

Renegade rear.

If it rains, may switch to Rocket Rons...

Doubt it though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by having fun View Post
    Small Block 8s or Racing Ralphs?

• 08-06-2011
    nikojan
    The last time I went up to kelso the climb was intense. Do you take the lifts up and just head downhill or...?
  • 08-06-2011
    CdaleTony
    PM's aside,i like the way this is going! Back to vacation,I expect chum will be involved from here on in .
    Cdt
  • 08-07-2011
    Trev
    Quote:

I have RR on the front no matter what...

Renegade rear.

If it rains, may switch to Rocket Rons...

Doubt it though...

I'm running a RoRo up front with a Specy FastTrack rear. With how dry the trails were the past few weeks I don't think the trails will get wet enough for a more knobbier tire in the rear. I run my RoRo front no matter how dry it gets, I've never had more confidence cornering then I have with that tire up front. If I'm wrong and it is super mucky then I'll just use my spare wheels set which has RoRo's front and rear
  • 08-07-2011
    trekbikes
    Wow!
    This course really put a hurt on me today. For some reason I couldn't get my head in the race, couldn't find clean lines and that hill was just the cap to an otherwise lousy race for me. I felt like I had no gas in the tank. The excessive amount of rain didn't help matters either! Oh well, onwards and upwards:thumbsup:
  • 08-07-2011
    CptSydor
    Fun day at the weekend office.

Course had a few more technical sections that Tuesday night. First lap was greasy. As usual, never even bothered thinking about tire choice and pressure (you'd think I'd learn). My worn out Fast traks at 33-35 psi didn't do much to instill confidence, then again, I guess I'm used to getting squirely.

My sister got warned about kids in the 11:45 feedzone and told it wouldn't be allowed for 1:30. Not that it mattered, but they are very well behaved kids as well (10 and 12), and I hope they posed not problems for anyone else. Though my nephew was feeding me and we messed up the exchange into lap three, so I went without a bottle. I was well hydrated and didn't need it anyway, got a little lucky with that. (I still had a 2/3 a bottle, but I saw him standing there waiting, didn't want to ride by and ignore him).
  • 08-07-2011
    thedumbopinion
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    My sister got warned about kids in the 11:45 feedzone and told it wouldn't be allowed for 1:30.

Good Job Cpt. Nice to see you get your OCup legs back.

I noticed this in the standings
    Quote:

DQd 31 Jarrod Forrest The Hub Race Team 2:14:04.77 Illegal spraying of water
  • 08-07-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post

lol. That *almost* sounds dirty. :D
  • 08-07-2011
    osokolo
    to continue on this "commish" business... just before the start of our 1:30 race, a deputy commish approaches me saying that "they have an issue with my compression socks"... this is the 6th race of the season, and they didn't have any issues for the first 5 races - i even took exception and asked the commish every time if it was ok to wear them. they said 5 times - no problem. i guess it was a problem the 6th time...

"pull them down or take them off" was the order, 30 second before the start... so i pulled them... just the socks, for you dirty minds, of course. :)

water squirting incident is utterly interesting... is that for real?

comments about the race later on...
  • 08-07-2011
    Circlip
    Quote:

Are they sure it was water? When you gotta go, you gotta go!
  • 08-07-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

to continue on this "commish" business... just before the start of our 1:30 race, a deputy commish approaches me saying that "they have an issue with my compression socks"... this is the 6th race of the season, and they didn't have any issues for the first 5 races - i even took exception and asked the commish every time if it was ok to wear them. they said 5 times - no problem. i guess it was a problem the 6th time...

"pull them down or take them off" was the order, 30 second before the start... so i pulled them... just the socks, for you dirty minds, of course. :)

I know an excellent lawyer that can help you out with this. ;)
  • 08-07-2011
    osokolo
    he got his arse handed to him by Mr Craig today and is licking his wounds under his favourite rock right now. he did pace Jouko and I today during our warmup and said he was rushing home in order to log on to MTBR and instil some sense during these hard times...

i will see his counsel on this important issue for me. don't really know if my IQ will be sufficient to understand it, but i will try nonetheless.
  • 08-07-2011
    garage monster
    We would have been out cowbelling today but then a group of roadies we're quite fond of rolled into town and invited us down to Domestique for coffee and scones (not to be missed, BTW). I'll be back in team kit for Provincials though - a fresh new Scott Holmes course is something to look forward to without a doubt. :)
  • 08-07-2011
    Unglued
    Quote:

Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    We would have been out cowbelling today but then a group of roadies we're quite fond of rolled into town and invited us down to Domestique for coffee and scones (not to be missed, BTW). I'll be back in team kit for Provincials though - a fresh new Scott Holmes course is something to look forward to without a doubt. :)

Hey! Who are you calling a roadie???? :D
  • 08-07-2011
    rkj__
    Hmm, attendance was low for this one.

Mansfield - 640
    Woodnewton - 545
    Albion - 571
    Buckwallow - 511
    Kelso - 488

Kelso 2010 - 489

Maybe I'm not the only one who does not like that big climb. :lol:
  • 08-07-2011
    osokolo
    the race at Kelso was awesome
    the course pushed everyone and their equipment to the absolute maximum. i have seen more people on the side with mechanicals and flats than at the Buck. Four excellent riders from my age group had misfortunes either flatting or breaking chain or rear der on rocks

the fire road climb was vicous, exposed to merciless sun and long, with the last killing pitch included as well... the first casualty happened right on the "chainbreaker" turn, out of the rocky plateau - broken chain - the points leader. Heading back by the ski house into the fast sweeping corner - careful - not too much traction there... took a high speed spill on the fourth lap... than back in the shade, through some relatively smooth singletrack followed by the long doubletrack that was leading us to the first technical section with a 1 foot and 11 inches rock and then rocky climb. The rock was still slick on the first lap, so it was important to keep balance and pick right lines... Dabbed on the climb on the first lap, but then had 3 clean and quick climbs for the rest of the race. (Umm, a dab is NOT a dismount ;)). Was looking for spectators that said they would be there to observe our ability to climb this one, but no one was there. I was mildly disappointed. Not really.

Then double track to the Extreem section... First lap was a test of traction, but it worked out fine and continued till the rest of the race. No real issue, but maximum focus on 2-3 spots that included rocks. After that point it was high speed hammer, including ugly-down, fun climb (gnarring the shred) and then another fun descent down Fire... on the fourth lap - went in too hot just before the big rock and almost endoed to the left... no damage except saying something that i can't remember that made two spectators dropping on their arse laughing... nothing was Broken except, but, that is something else...

This was the first race for me that I managed to perfectly line up my hydration. Good stuff.

Excellent course, great organization and it was awesome (again) to see all the familiar faces at the event...

Super-congrats go to Superfly for winning the singlespeed cat in the sprint finish - Smarty is almost a legend and took this defeat gracefully, as he always is. Superfly, Louda and the crew were by the course for the 1:30pm start, cheering on friends - very loudly - thanks... I could not stop grinning every time I passed by. Thanks to everyone who encouraged, cheered, helped or just showed up to make this event so much fun.

Special thanks to twenty6black "team support" for supporting me too. Way to involve the whole family and make the experience sweeter.

Same goes to Paul - who won our race today with authority. Way to go!!! Sharing the podium with Paul and Glen was an honour - and a humbling experience.

Quote:

• 08-07-2011
    osokolo
    don't forget the weather forecast. the day started pretty miserably. i am pretty sure many potential riders were turned back by rain, unfortunately.
  • 08-07-2011
    want to ride
    Great first race in sport category....
    After doing the Try an O-Cup at Albion I decided it's time to take the plunge into the sport category at Kelso...
    On the way there I ran into that huge downpour on the 401 and I started to question my decision so much so I pulled to the shoulder just before the gate and almost turn around and went home.
    Glad I didn't do it......

At the start I was super nervous and I just wanted to go, that 2 minutes felt like 3hrs and just after the start everything started to clear out; I could breath and the fun started...
    I'm not a bad climber but I was really surprised when I was among the first 5 guys who reached the top; getting better...
    I was pushing hard( maybe a bit harder then I should) and I managed to stay at the front until the first really rocky section where I was too close to the guy in front of me and he crashed at the very end of that section. To avoid to run over him I turned left and touched my rear brake at the same time......:eek:
    I did a beautiful 180 and landed on my side hitting my head really hard to the flat rock..
    By the time a put myself together 3-4 guys just flew by so I started to pedal again but I was dizzy and I almost puked. Couldn't handle the singletrack at all I made mistake after mistake, so another 3 guys passed me.
    by the time we came out from the Extreme Trail I was getting better and I started to push as hard as I can.

By the time we reached the feedzone I caught up to the guys and I thought "not too bad let's see who else can I catch"...

On the second escarpment climb I passed 4 guys and I was feeling really good so I kept up my pace up on top and I passed one more guy. That time I didn't know where I am in the field so I kept pushing.

Third lap went super smooth I was watching back but I didn't see nobody closing on me so I just tried to keep up my tempo.
    When I crossed the finish line I was shocked to hear I was in 2nd place.:yikes:

Deep down I was hoping for a top 10 finish and I know some of the big guns decided not to show up today but I'm really happy with my riding today.

Now I know I'm a legitimate sport cat rider so the next step is to buy a road bike for next season and put a bit more thought into my training and do the whole series..

Congrats to everyone who finished today and double congrats who podiumed.

Love the course and all the super friendly people.:thumbsup:

P.S.:
    the rocks at Kelso do get slippery when the rain comes down.:D
  • 08-07-2011
    having fun
    Thank you for the tire suggestions...and too bad I went to bed early instead of reading them (or looking at the weather!).
    I had a great time racing (racing? well probably more like tip-toeing) Kelso for the first time today and nearly puked each time up the big climb. I'm sure the guys hollering from the blue Chico truck near the top would have loved to see that!
    All the people cheering along the course and in the feed zone rock! I sure appreciated the encouragment especially since I'm not who they came to cheer for - that's extra cool.
    It was a good and tough day!
  • 08-07-2011
    osokolo
    awesome race report
    I could feel the excitement you went through. Congrats on podium finish.

The stronger you are - the more fun it is. It never gets easier - you just get faster.

:thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by want to ride View Post
    After doing the Try an O-Cup at Albion I decided it's time to take the plunge into the sport category at Kelso...
    On the way there I ran into that huge downpour on the 401 and I started to question my decision so much so I pulled to the shoulder just before the gate and almost turn around and went home.
    Glad I didn't do it......

At the start I was super nervous and I just wanted to go, that 2 minutes felt like 3hrs and just after the start everything started to clear out; I could breath and the fun started...
    I'm not a bad climber but I was really surprised when I was among the first 5 guys who reached the top; getting better...
    I was pushing hard( maybe a bit harder then I should) and I managed to stay at the front until the first really rocky section where I was too close to the guy in front of me and he crashed at the very end of that section. To avoid to run over him I turned left and touched my rear brake at the same time......:eek:
    I did a beautiful 180 and landed on my side hitting my head really hard to the flat rock..
    By the time a put myself together 3-4 guys just flew by so I started to pedal again but I was dizzy and I almost puked. Couldn't handle the singletrack at all I made mistake after mistake, so another 3 guys passed me.
    by the time we came out from the Extreme Trail I was getting better and I started to push as hard as I can.

By the time we reached the feedzone I caught up to the guys and I thought "not too bad let's see who else can I catch"...

On the second escarpment climb I passed 4 guys and I was feeling really good so I kept up my pace up on top and I passed one more guy. That time I didn't know where I am in the field so I kept pushing.

Third lap went super smooth I was watching back but I didn't see nobody closing on me so I just tried to keep up my tempo.
    When I crossed the finish line I was shocked to hear I was in 2nd place.:yikes:

Deep down I was hoping for a top 10 finish and I know some of the big guns decided not to show up today but I'm really happy with my riding today.

Now I know I'm a legitimate sport cat rider so the next step is to buy a road bike for next season and put a bit more thought into my training and do the whole series..

Congrats to everyone who finished today and double congrats who podiumed.

Love the course and all the super friendly people.:thumbsup:

P.S.:
    the rocks at Kelso do get slippery when the rain comes down.:D

• 08-07-2011
    osokolo
    wrong! they did come to see you as well
    Quote:

Originally Posted by having fun View Post
    I sure appreciated the encouragment especially since I'm not who they came to cheer for - that's extra cool.
    It was a good and tough day!

they came to cheer for all riders. it is one big, nice family and you are a part of it...

don't forget to pay forward, if you get an opportunity. you will need it and get it when you need it the most, as well...

good stuff...
  • 08-07-2011
    sperky
    2 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Rocky climb.....Dabbed on the climb on the first lap, but then had 3 clean and quick climbs for the rest of the race. Was looking for spectators that said they would be there to observe our ability to climb this one, but no one was there. I was mildly disappointed. Not really.

There was some one there watching! See a few photos of you below. In the 2 laps I observed at that rocky climb I'd say about 80% did not make it. Many Elite men, 1 elite woman, and some expert men. A few people had the dismount at the bottom and run up timed perfectly and were moving much faster than the riders and probably expending less energy too. Just an observation.
  • 08-07-2011
    BrokenAnimator
    Most of the riders dismounted On the rocks, just like I knew they would as they were mostly doing it on the pre rides. Including one that is a legend in his own mind and loves to name drop :)

When I rode the o cup we use to go straight up that hill and not go up ascension were you go up in phases and have three chances to recover your heart rate, which was brutal, but was changed because too many riders complained.

Glad it's over, and things back to normal now. Don't like how they shut everything down for this thing.
  • 08-07-2011
    osokolo
    Awesome - I have a proof now...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sperky View Post
    There was some one there watching! See a few photos of you below. In the 2 laps I observed at that rocky climb I'd say about 80% did not make it. Many Elite men, 1 elite woman, and some expert men. A few people had the dismount at the bottom and run up timed perfectly and were moving much faster than the riders and probably expending less energy too. Just an observation.

the second pic just made someone's heart Broken.... lost internet bet as well... but most of all - proved him wrong which is the worst that could have happened.... :D:D:D

for some reason, i made it a point of riding that climb. in most cases i was not faster than the runners, however, it felt dandy... thanks for the pics... the first one is pure suffering up that last pitch of the fire road... :thumbsup:
  • 08-07-2011
    BrokenAnimator
    Self admitted dismount on the rocks, then retraction because the memory kicked in...too funny.
  • 08-08-2011
    VVagabond
    I was perusing the results and noticed a DQ with the explanation "Illegal spraying of water" in the U23.
    Hilarious. Did anyone see this happen?
  • 08-08-2011
    jrastories
    Well I guess that my bike and Kelso don't get along to great, on the rocks at the top of the first climb I flatted the rear tire, got that fixed eventually and worked my way back up though most of the senior field just to go down in the 3rd of the 1:30 only lines where I flatted my front tire and broke my rear brake leaver. So that is number two for me as a DNF at Kelso on that bike. two years ago I broke a chain on my first lap as well. I may just have to borrow a bike next year to race kelso and see if it holds together for me.

Camping the night before was good times though so it wasn't a complete wast of a weekend.

Congrats to everybody who did finish and podium it was a good course this year.
  • 08-08-2011
    electrik
    Quote:

Originally Posted by VVagabond View Post
    I was perusing the results and noticed a DQ with the explanation "Illegal spraying of water" in the U23.

No, but now that my interest is piqued we must find out!
  • 08-08-2011
    jrastories
    Quote:

I didn't see it happen but I did see one of the officials talking to a guy accusing him of spraying water on a guy in the feed zone.
  • 08-08-2011
    raganwald
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jrastories View Post
    I didn't see it happen but I did see one of the officials talking to a guy accusing him of spraying water on a guy in the feed zone.

Meaning a rider squirted water at a supporter in the feed zone? Or a supporter squirted water at a rider to cool them down? Or a supporter squirted water at a rival rider to throw them off?

The first two cases sound funny and no big deal, respectively, however my sense of humor disqualifies me from ever officating an OCA sanctioned event.
  • 08-08-2011
    thedumbopinion
    Quote:

Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    Meaning ....

Someone in the feed zone is not allowed to pour water on a rider, regardless if its to cool or slow them down.
  • 08-08-2011
    raganwald
    Quote:

Someone in the feed zone is not allowed to pour water on a rider, regardless if its to cool or slow them down.

Ridiculous, but racing means dealing with rules and officials whether you like them or not, so I suppose thatís that and the supporter in question wonít be pouring water on their riders any more.
  • 08-08-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    Ridiculous, but racing means dealing with rules and officials whether you like them or not, so I suppose thatís that and the supporter in question wonít be pouring water on their riders any more.

It would have been legal for the supporter to hand the rider a bottle of water in the feed and then for the rider to pour it over their head. Rules, feh. :skep:
  • 08-08-2011
    VVagabond
    Hmmm... sometimes it's better not to know the real story. I was hoping for an impromptu, vicious water fight between two racers or a racer and a spectator.
  • 08-08-2011
    electrik
    Quote:

Hmmm... sometimes it's better not to know the real story. I was hoping for an impromptu, vicious water fight between two racers or a racer and a spectator.

Oh well, could have been something more spectacular... on second thought maybe that is a good rule.
  • 08-08-2011
    VVagabond
    Quote:

Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Oh well, could have been something more spectacular... on second thought maybe that is a good rule.

Nice. I admire your google image searching skills. I had no luck finding a photo with "mountain bike race and water balloon fight". I may just have to create one...

I did find this in my search and I don't think I even need to say how freaking amazing it is.

/banter
  • 08-08-2011
    Louda
    Quote:

the course pushed everyone and their equipment to the absolute maximum. i have seen more people on the side with mechanicals and flats than at the Buck. Four excellent riders from my age group had misfortunes either flatting or breaking chain or rear der on rocks

the fire road climb was vicous, exposed to merciless sun and long, with the last killing pitch included as well... the first casualty happened right on the "chainbreaker" turn, out of the rocky plateau - broken chain - the points leader. Heading back by the ski house into the fast sweeping corner - careful - not too much traction there... took a high speed spill on the fourth lap... than back in the shade, through some relatively smooth singletrack followed by the long doubletrack that was leading us to the first technical section with a 1 foot and 11 inches rock and then rocky climb. The rock was still slick on the first lap, so it was important to keep balance and pick right lines... Dabbed on the climb on the first lap, but then had 3 clean and quick climbs for the rest of the race. (Umm, a dab is NOT a dismount ;)). Was looking for spectators that said they would be there to observe our ability to climb this one, but no one was there. I was mildly disappointed. Not really.

Then double track to the Extreem section... First lap was a test of traction, but it worked out fine and continued till the rest of the race. No real issue, but maximum focus on 2-3 spots that included rocks. After that point it was high speed hammer, including ugly-down, fun climb (gnarring the shred) and then another fun descent down Fire... on the fourth lap - went in too hot just before the big rock and almost endoed to the left... no damage except saying something that i can't remember that made two spectators dropping on their arse laughing... nothing was Broken except, but, that is something else...

This was the first race for me that I managed to perfectly line up my hydration. Good stuff.

Excellent course, great organization and it was awesome (again) to see all the familiar faces at the event...

Super-congrats go to Superfly for winning the singlespeed cat in the sprint finish - Smarty is almost a legend and took this defeat gracefully, as he always is. Superfly, Louda and the crew were by the course for the 1:30pm start, cheering on friends - very loudly - thanks... I could not stop grinning every time I passed by. Thanks to everyone who encouraged, cheered, helped or just showed up to make this event so much fun.

Special thanks to twenty6black "team support" for supporting me too. Way to involve the whole family and make the experience sweeter.

Same goes to Paul - who won our race today with authority. Way to go!!! Sharing the podium with Paul and Glen was an honour - and a humbling experience.

Great job out there Osokolo!!! I love it when friends podium :) Great to see Rob get on there too, especially with showing us the perfect lines on our preride. I was SO stoked to see Superfly.. or Soul Crusher ... get on the top spot! Really motivated me to match his hardware ;)

Great course, I had a blast, even with the grinding climbs. It was fast and love racing in the adverse conditions. Found the rocks to be slippy on the first lap but once I got a feel for them, rode them smart and avoided any mishaps. Provincials is gonna be quite the smackdown, can't wait!!!

VVagabond, OMG, we gotta get that waterballoon joust into the Antirace or something!!!
  • 08-08-2011
    thedumbopinion
    Quote:

Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Oh well, could have been something more spectacular...

Apparently the person the the feedzone dumped water on the rider and then received the warning. I guess it was a casual, "hey you can't do that". "ok I won't do it again, sorry". He then proceeded to finish the race, two or three laps without a mention of the incident. Then when he crossed the line they said he was DQ'd.

He didn't know why as there was no mention of it and he didn't argue or make a big deal about it. He was kind of caught off guard I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVagabond
    I did find this in my search and I don't think I even need to say how freaking amazing it is.

OMG that is so awesome. I agree with Louda, we have to do that. Maybe HAN?
  • 08-09-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

There'll be lots of room for shenanigans down by Camp Misfit. :thumbsup:
  • 08-09-2011
    VVagabond
    Quote:

Not going to make it to HAN... but if you guys do it, I want pictures!!
  • 08-09-2011
    twenty6black
    1 Attachment(s)
    Had to have these pics on page2 of this thread !
    :)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sperky View Post

Great pics!
    Okay, this guy Oggie (hey buddy) is a perfect example of the Expert gate start "F"....40-44, 45-49 and 50-54....have I forgot everyone(?)....anyway, at Kelso I lined up at the back and was chatting with a fellow competitor, and I realized that I was the heaviest person there!!! (relative to height). I had the smallest quads, and largest torso - relative to height....of all the 30 or so other racers.

THIS IS A SERIOUS GROUP OF RACERS. I am not just talking about the podium guys either...all through the field - really impressive fitness!

I was hoping to keep up with my new 29er....but really, I am just pleased to finish these long races. I have had my 2 DNFs that the points system will allow. Both these DNFs were due to fitness and not mechanicals. What has happened is that I try and keep a pace that keeps me close, and BAAM....I am done.

With Provincials coming I will give it one last effort to get the lap times down (for all 4 laps) and finish closer to my competition. AND THEN the off season. I need a coach. :D

CONGRATS OGGIE......and all older experts, a great learning year for me, the FOG (fat old guy).

...LC(cheers)
  • 08-09-2011
    want to ride
    expert is a higher level of riding indeed....
    I was watching the start of the 1.30 wave and I was amazed how much faster those guys took off...
    Second lap is the same not much slower, no emotions whatsoever...

It's nice to see the suffering on Oggie's face at the last steep section of the climb feels much better to know I wasn't the only one who almost got a heart attack...:)

I do remember when last year he was wondering about sweeping the expert class.
    Awesome job!!!:thumbsup:

By the way; check out Sportszone's Photos | SmugMug ,I found a couple of good shots there.

The uploading of the 1.30 race is still in progress but I think it's worth to wait....
  • 08-10-2011
    minifig-phil
    Hey they even have a pic of me. I can feel the pain now just looking at it.
    There were lots of guys taking pics are any others online?

twenty6black quite a difference in what is the best physical size for motorcycles and bicycles eh!
  • 08-10-2011
    SpectralMeat
    For those of you that goes to these events and maybe camp out and bring your bike with you. What do you do to protect your bike from theft and stuff?

Sorry for the stupid question but I am new to camping and biking together and was wondering what do others do.
  • 08-10-2011
    garage monster
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralMeat View Post
    For those of you that goes to these events and maybe camp out and bring your bike with you. What do you do to protect your bike from theft and stuff?

Sorry for the stupid question but I am new to camping and biking together and was wondering what do others do.

When we camp out at an event (we drive a Honda Element for this sort of thing) and we can't keep the bikes in the truck because we're using it to sleep (the seats fold out into cots), we use cable and U locks to secure the bikes to the rear tow hook. So far, so good! :thumbsup:
  • 08-10-2011
    SpectralMeat
    Quote:

When we camp out at an event (we drive a Honda Element for this sort of thing) and we can't keep the bikes in the truck because we're using it to sleep (the seats fold out into cots), we use cable and U locks to secure the bikes to the rear tow hook. So far, so good! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply. I did that before too, I just wasn't sure if that is what other people does also or something else. ;)