O-cup #6- Mtbr.com

Thread: O-cup #6

mtbr member

O-cup #6

Does anyone know if we can pre ride the course Saturday morning (before the 1:00 PM retro race)?
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Lemmy Rules!
    Hope so...I'll be there for the Retro Race and want to bring in my modern bike for a couple of extra laps...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I hope so too, because I cannot go there Friday.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Wow, I hope so too. I would think most people cannot get there through the week. I did the first two o-cups without pre-riding, and definitely felt more comfortable on the next few, having ridden them the day before.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I was hoping that they might have the course set up for the long weekend. That will be the only time I have to get away.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    I was hoping that they might have the course set up for the long weekend. That will be the only time I have to get away.
    i am sure the course will be open on Saturday AM. better be.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Hey everybody,

We're super stoked to be hosting the O-cup again this year! Just did a ride with Sean, and his stoke was notable, I'm confident our new sections mixed with the classics will be well received by all!

As for preriding, opportunities abound:

Thursday July 31, 7pm (Weekly series - $10, citizen permit required)
    Saturday, Aug 2nd, 9am-5pm. Ocup preride fee of $10
    Thursday, Aug 7th, 7pm - weekly series previewing the 9 hour relay course (very similar loop to the 10am ocup course)
    Saturday, Aug 9th - 9 Hour relay - similar course to the Ocup - Solo, Tag team, 3-4 Person, 5-10 person categories. Register at Mountainview Ski and MTB Centre
    Thursday, Aug 14th, 7pm - weekly series previewing the ocup courses.

Friday, Saturday regular ocup preride. I don't believe the course is going to be closed for preriding, even during the vintage race, as it is more of a "gentleman's/lady's race" but if it is closed it will only be for 30 minutes or so.

mtbr member
    That sounds perfect, thank you!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

All my faucets is Moen.
    The big question is…will the guy who stands in the woods and yells “GIV’ER!!!” be in attendance?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That's my buddy Chris, and nope, I don't think he'll be at this one coming up!

mtbr member
    *Actually,* while I'm sure Chris is a fine fellow, the GIVE'R guy at Mountainview is actually Nik, he wrenches at our local shop. I chatted with him about it, and he hopes to be there!

To give you an idea of his motivational techniques, check out this video from the 2009 Ocup at Mview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS9-Q6X7enI

Lemmy Rules!
    I will be there the Saturday before the race to rock the retro race on my vintage Rocky...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm a bit confused. There is the Thursday night race tonight, it says the course is close to the 10am course.

Are all the courses marked off, and any chance of going earlier on Thursday?

mtbr member
    Tonight's race, we did the 9 hour course (which is being held on Saturday), which is like the 10am course but with extra singletrack. The other arrows are (mostly) still up, but the cutoffs have been blocked.

Next week we will be racing the ocup loops with the options of racing the 9am, 10am, or 1:30pm courses. You can ride starting at 6pm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    thanks.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Tmas, I'm looking to camp out for the ocup. What do you think the best place is?
    The superfly website isn't updated.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Bored
    Awenda Park is about 20 minutes away

This place is a tiny bit closer.
    Camping Lafontaine | Lafontaine RV Resort
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Smiths camp is on king street in midland It's less than 10 minutes from mountainview

mtbr member
    Here's a big list of accommodations, places that still had vacancy last time i checked:

Hotels:
    Midland Inn: Midland Inn & Suites, Midland, ON
    Silverstar Motel: Silver Star Motel | Motel | Motel in Midland | Motel Midland
    Comfort Inn: Comfort Inn Midland | Hotel Midland | Comfort Inns Canada
    Shamrock Motel: Shamrock Motel - Midland, Ontario, Canada - Accommodations, Rooms, Hotel, Resort, Vacation Packages
    King's Inn: Kings Inn Midland - About Us
    Best Western Highland Inn: http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...ertyCode=66060

There are also hotels in Wasaga Beach and Port Severn that are about 20-25 minutes away.

Bed and Breakfasts:
    Little Lake Inn: https://reserve2.resnexus.com/resnex...296&ResID=8159
    Beacon Shore B&B: Beacon Shore on Georgian Bay B&B, Midland, Ontario
    Victorian Inn: http://www.victorianinn.ca/
    Bluebird Meadows: Bluebird Meadows Bed and Breakfast Midland | Country B&B in Midland, Ontario Nestled on a 47 Acre Property
    more options - https://bbcanada.com/bb_search_resul...eneral=Midland

Camping:
    Smiths' Camp: Smiths Camp | Quality Family Camping for over 80 years.
    Bayfort Camp: Bayfort Camp HOME
    Awenda Provincial Park: Welcome to Awenda Provincial Park

Things to Do:
    Miss Midland boat cruise: Midland Boat Cruise | Midland Tours Inc
    Midland Drive In: Midland Drive-In
    Midland Cultural Centre: Midland Cultural Centre | Midland, Ontario | Home
    Little Lake Park, swimming at Gawley Park or Balm Beach, Bayshore Lanes bowling, Wye Marsh, Sainte Marie, Martyr's Shrine.
    Spectate the ISA World championships.
    Specatate the Penetang Watercross: Welcome to Ontario Watercross Racing Website | Ontario Watercross Racing

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Had a chance to ride the course last night. Could be one of my favs! It did rain on me pretty hard, and it was really dark, so I don.t remember much of the course. The 1:30 climb is going to kill me. IF the course stays in the shape it was in last night I will be putting the wet weather tires on, the Renegades did not fair well!

Looks like the trails took a bit of a hit form the wind the last couple days, but i'm sure it will get all cleaned up by raceday.

mtbr member

O-cup #6

I will go tomorrow morning to pre-ride. Looks like rain on Saturday afternoon, so it may stay wet. I remember Mountainview as a relatively tough course. Last time we raced there it was in pouring rain. :-(
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    One of my mates rides here often and suggested that I will love this course. He likened it to Radical at Hardwood sans roots. He even suggested it's a raceable course without preriding, which you can't say about a few others. Luckily, I have a set of wheels with Rocket Rons already mounted which will be used. Enjoy and good luck to all racing!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It's a course that seeing it before racing it is a recommendation The rock garden and the rock roll over alone are worth checking instead of hitting it blind

Resident Redneck

mtbr member
    Anyone that has ridden it care to throw up an elevation profile of the 1:30PM course? Not really liking the lack of time on the course (none!) prior to tomorrow's race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Strava Segment | Midland O-Cup 2014 1:30 PM Course (no start/finish/lap) — Midland O-Cup 2014 1:30 PM Course (no start/finish/lap)

mtbr member
    Thanks for that...Is it me or is the elevation change minimal, and lap short? I know the GPS can truncate too, so it may have shortened it inadvertently.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Strava Segment | Midland O-Cup 2014 1:30 PM Course (no start/finish/lap) — Midland O-Cup 2014 1:30 PM Course (no start/finish/lap)
    something is wrong with that map. it does not add up.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I havent pre-rode either
    www.abikeslife.com ontario bike stuff!

WolfPak Racing! :thumbsup:
    https://www.facebook.com/wolfpakracingcanada

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I didnt record that one. So i'm not sure how accurate it was. The 1;30 climb is tough single track with roots. The rest of the course, the climbs are very gradual and will catch people off guard as its all in the single track. there might be one or 2 slight double track climbs, but nothing serious.

*Disclaimer* It was raining and so dark we had to call it a night, I don't remember a lot of the course, but I remember struggling more on the slippery'ness of the climbs but not the hardness of them.

On a side note, I haven't been this nervous all year, I thought this 1;30 thing was supposed to not stress me out, heck, my goal is to stay out of peoples way.......The usual " why do I do this to myself " race day feelings I guess.

Resident Redneck

O-cup #6

Course was amazing. Technical but fun. Climbs were tough because of the rain yesterday.

mtbr member
    That was a great course. After agonizing over tires, and ending up with what I thought was too aggressive, it ended up working well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I did the tire stress out yesterday too. Went with Beavers, and they were incredible. Course was sneaky tough. It crept up on me after a good first lap, had to back way off.

Happy to have survived!

sock puppet
    that was a spectacular course. strong legs were not enough. just skills were not sufficient. complete package was required in order to succeed. Glassford's Grind sucked the soul out of me every time i rode it... good thing we had to do it only 3 times. other climbs while intense, did not beat me up as much. going down was load of fun, including the rock bridge and tight, soft and narrow off camber gravity path... rock garden did not have much flow and required total focus all the time... great work by the trail crew at Midland - thanks for the hospitality and enthusiasm... o-cup crowd and the course were well worth the driving time... Superfly Racing - smooth event as always... it was nice to meet machine4321 and congrats on your first expert finish... super fun weekend...
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You sumed up the course perfect! Good to chat with you too. And congats on the podium!

All my faucets is Moen.
    So I leave home Saturday morning thinking I was getting sick of all the weekend travel.

I make the 3hr drive and arrive about 11, just after they closed to course. So I spend the entire day in the rain, feet soaked from about 5min after I get out of the car. Did a course walk, hung out drank coffee, chit-chatted and the more the day went on, the more rain that came, the more fun I had.

Nine of us from Niagara ended up camping out on site. Our small fire outlined in shoes kept us warm and dry. And of course a few pops helped kill whatever misery remained.

The worst preride day turned into the best OCup race day. I had so much fun talking with the feedzone peeps and cheering the riders on. We had a youth club member do his first OCup and even though the result wasn’t great he had a blast. The course looked so amazing I wish I could have been out there.

Only one more to go and I think I will dawn the lycra for this one. Surely only to come in last but we know it’s not about the result of the race. Its about the atmosphere, the effort, the campfires and the people.

I’m going to miss all this weekend travel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Does anyone know if someone was taking race pics?

mtbr member
    Hey everyone, glad you enjoyed it, by the sounds of things! It was fun to chat with everyone over the weekend, whether or not I knew you as forum members, or just friendly faces. It makes all the hard work by myself and my trail helpers to get the track to where it was. Now all you need to do is hype how awesome it was to Sean so that we can host again next year!

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by tmas View Post
    Hey everyone, glad you enjoyed it, by the sounds of things! It was fun to chat with everyone over the weekend, whether or not I knew you as forum members, or just friendly faces. It makes all the hard work by myself and my trail helpers to get the track to where it was. Now all you need to do is hype how awesome it was to Sean so that we can host again next year!
    I would certainly like to see another race at beautiful Midland next year. Due to important commitments i was unable to sleep over on Saturday this time, regardless of the weather. I'd love to get another kick at the can at it.

The course is as challenging as it is fun, with total quality score rivalling the best O-Cup venues in Ontario. Combined with fantastic volunteers and trail crew - what's not to like about it. My vote certainly goes for Midland next year.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My son loved the course!! Did the 1:30 pm race and said it was one of his favorites so far this year. I didn't race due to an injury but did pre-ride the 11:30 course and also thought it was pretty sweet. So, Midland also gets my vote as an Ontario Cup venue for 2015 Also loved the little produce stand that was set up there. The blueberries were delicious!!
    High on Life

Members who have read this thread: 0