Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
6K views 99 replies 28 participants last post by  brodie_rider 
#1 ·
I'm in for what will probably the first of the three O-Cups I'm planning on doing this year. Albion's like home so I couldn't very well skip this one! Also, my start time is back where it belongs: 10AM! :thumbsup:

#2 ·
hardwood was really challenging...

but it made me looking forward to racing at Albion even more... hmmm... semi-slicks and a hardtail??

squishy was definitely advantage at Hardwood... Smarty raced on squishy singlespeed!!! Did very well too...

we'll see on Tuesday...

#6 · (Edited)
What is the big climb at the 3k mark?
If it's the one I'm thinking of, I'm not even sure it has a name, unofficial or otherwise, other than "big stupid climb I hate so much..." :D

I'm glad to see they're using so much from "across the road". Should have a good HAN feel to it! :thumbsup:

The rollers before you get to the last bit of singletrack ahead of the start/finish are a great place to attack. :)

#4 ·
I signed up last week, so I cannot back out now...

I did 5 laps yesterday while you guys were duking it out at Hardwood.

The course is fast, brutally fast, but the laps are also long.

If that map is correct, and we dont go across the road by the chalet, then I can see the top Elite guys average 25-26km/h. Given my current shape, im happy to see the absence of the green monster, as well as the rest of that grindy stuff across the road.

I was going at a steady pace and averaged about 26-27mins per lap.

#17 ·
The O-Cup course is designed very well - and consists of sections of singletrack that drain much better than the rest of the system at Albion Hills... Also, Chico moved Albion Hills O-Cup to mid June, from May, for a reason.

So hopefully we don't get too much precipitation on Saturday and/or Sunday - and we'll be just fine...

We've had enough mud this season already... Not that there is anything wrong with it, but it is just more fun without it...

#18 ·
osokolo: the weather forecast is less than perfect ... if wet, Albion Hills clay can and will be slick ...

This is very true. We had some muddy races at Albion that were beyond frustrating. I remember one time my shoe being sucked off my foot by the sticky mud. As usual, I shall debate with myself on the sanity of racing in nasty mud and as usual, I will probably end up lacking (in common sense). :)

#22 ·
Second O-Cup!

Well, even though I thought the Hardwood Hills O-Cup was punishing, I have signed up for the Albion race this coming weekend. I am going from never racing in an O-Cup event before to two in one week! Hopefully the weather will be nice and the course will be dry!

#25 ·
Its definitely not as hard as Kelso, not even close.

I suppose its just the grade that makes it tough or the fact that you start at the bottom and just can look straight up the entire climb. Perhaps its the fact that at a race there you are always on the gas then you come to this and it gets exhausting after a few laps.

To me its the fact that its grass and usually not that great for traction. Or maybe because I get out of my car at the chalet and the first thing I do is ride up it.
Hmmm...Interesting you find it easier than Kelso. I would rather ride up the service road at Kelso honestly and have done both in a race. The GM is rather steep and a potential granny gear climb by the third go in a sprint race like an OCUP. At least with Kelso, you can just hunker down and hammer away until you get up it.

#26 ·
lots of surprises...

Did the "FUN" race yesterday night....

To me it's either climbing or hammering on double track. Couldn't find enough section to recover or regroup.
Maybe it's the lack of trail knowledge or I just went out way too fast but by the 2/3 of the first lap I was soo cooked I had to stop for a couple of sec to catch my breath.:eek:

It is a fast course, I managed to do 2 laps under 52min and I'm an Average Joe. Need to go back and take a look on those little rock gardens and rock step up and downs they caught me off guard in the warm up lap and I choose to go around them in the race.

Now I have to decide the category. Having a citizen license only Try an O-cup would be ideal but the Sport category would be the real challenge.
One thing for sure this will be my first O-Cup rain or shine...:)

#37 ·
Now I have to decide the category. Having a citizen license only Try an O-cup would be ideal but the Sport category would be the real challenge.
One thing for sure this will be my first O-Cup rain or shine...:)
With two laps under 52, you'll probably be fine in Sport (assuming you can hold that pace for the third and I'm sure you can). Probably mid-pack or better depending on who shows up! :thumbsup:

#30 ·
Since I've never done an O-CUP at Albion hills (only 24 hour races), I've never had the pleasure, at least to my knowledge, of riding the 'Green Monster'.

While it may not be in this years course, can some one compare it to other notably climbs. People make it seem like it's the worst thing we got in Ontario, but I've never seen any topography at Albion to suggest there is a killer hill. Is it worse than the start climb at Mansfield? How about climbing the service road at Kelso? Is it just steep?

#31 ·
Its definitely not as hard as Kelso, not even close.

I suppose its just the grade that makes it tough or the fact that you start at the bottom and just can look straight up the entire climb. Perhaps its the fact that at a race there you are always on the gas then you come to this and it gets exhausting after a few laps.

To me its the fact that its grass and usually not that great for traction. Or maybe because I get out of my car at the chalet and the first thing I do is ride up it.

#32 ·
I don't know, as far as I am concerned the Green Monster is WAY worse than the Kelso Service road. The latter is longer, but much less steep and there's lots of recovery at the top. On the GM, if you get gapped you're going to have to work a lot harder to get back on the train. It's steep enough that I think everyone is pretty much redlined by the top.

#33 ·
It's all about what kind of climber you are. If you're a power climber, the Green Monster is a great place to make a move. There's almost always a good rest before you get there and you can carry a decent amount of speed into it if you make a wide enough turn.

If you're more of a "tempo" climber, the lactic acid build-up will make you suffer.

The closest thing I can think of around me is the Gravel Chute in Dundas (except the Monster is shorter and offers better traction :D).

#35 ·
It's all about what kind of climber you are. If you're a power climber, the Green Monster is a great place to make a move. There's almost always a good rest before you get there and you can carry a decent amount of speed into it if you make a wide enough turn.

If you're more of a "tempo" climber, the lactic acid build-up will make you suffer.
Agreed.

At Kelso, you can throttle your pace to your desired comfort level... Green monster affords you no such luxury as you grind your way up, putting yourself in teh redzone.

Also, green monster is a nightmare when damp... Kelso is never slick, and the obvious line is usually good, traction wise.

I did some race interval stuff yesterday and almost died... this is gonna be a survival race for me with the hope that I dont get lapped.

I might just see ya in expert for the next race Jeff.

#36 ·
Like superlightracer, I committed myself to this one so we'll see how it goes after not racing mtbs all season like usual. I rode my mtb around the neighbourhood for 15 minutes yesterday, so I'm pretty well prepared I think.

I'll be turning some laps on Saturday to see if I still have anything resembling flow in the singletrack. Here's to not killing myself attempting to be a mtb racer again :p

#38 ·
Here's to not killing myself attempting to be a mtb racer again :p
I didn't know you were ever an MTB racer, but ok... good to know... ;)

Though the course at Albion may appear "not as hard" as Hardwood - after racing it on Tuesday - I can assure you that it will hurt. The only consolation is that it will be shorter (faster) than Hardwood, so instead of 2-ish hour of hurt, it will be around 1:40ish of hurt.

But the hurt will be comparable. Heart Rate may be even higher than Hardwood course - as there is less sections at Albion where one can recover. It is just a relentless go-go-go...

I certainly hope that showers that will be coming down in the next few days and particularly on Saturday (5mm is current prognostication) will not be as moist as predicted, as that will change the complexion of the course. It actually will make it easier on the motor, I think... as we would have to slow down in the singletrack...

Anyway, it will be what it will be... And it will be fun, no matter what...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.