O-Cup #3 @ Hardwood - Canada Cup- Mtbr.com
    sock puppet

O-Cup #3 @ Hardwood - Canada Cup

While still savouring great memories and telling bonfire stories about Epic 8 at Mansfield, cursing all the rain that is coming down and screwing up the tire choice for every event, it is time to focus on the next get together at Hardwood - this coming weekend.

The weather promises to be unpredictable, which is in line with the season so far, so no surprises there. Hardwood course is usually very capable of sustaining some moisture without any effect on the race, but how much is enough?

Preriding starts on Wednesday - 9-9 (may as well race the Wednesday night series), Thursday through Saturday 9-5.

Looking forward to riding the full Boneshaker... It will be interesting... See you all there....

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

CC Course

Course has been marked for a while now, rode it on the weekend. Different than last year, should be a fun. Only Elite will do the full boneshaker, 1:30 race will come in half way (at least as marked on the weekend). Not sure how the Elite's will like their course given the new UCI format (shorter lap, more laps), large part of the 1:30 course is cut out for them. Will be interesting to see what they think post race.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draystex View Post
    Course has been marked for a while now, rode it on the weekend. Different than last year, should be a fun. Only Elite will do the full boneshaker, 1:30 race will come in half way (at least as marked on the weekend). Not sure how the Elite's will like their course given the new UCI format (shorter lap, more laps), large part of the 1:30 course is cut out for them. Will be interesting to see what they think post race.
    Ugh, I hate coming into Boneshaker from half-way.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sock puppet
    agreed... it will be interesting...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hopefully it's not going to be another CC HH Hot as Balls race... especially since I'll be racing at 1:30 blah!

I'll be preriding with Superfly Thursday afternoon. Nspace, take the afternoon off too and join us!

sock puppet
    if memory serves me well, last time we raced CC at HH, it was SNOWING in the morning... or was it 2 years ago?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    if memory serves me well, last time we raced CC at HH, it was SNOWING in the morning... or was it 2 years ago?
    It snowed two years ago, and the year before that was just as cold, minus the snow. I skipped it last year since I was doing Transylvania instead (where Ms. Vagabond is currently toodling away, BTW).
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Wish I could make it out to pre-ride this one. I am off all day on Thursday but I will be moving into the new place that day, so pre-ride is a no go.

See you all on Sunday though!

I wish they would unleash us on the full bone shaker though! I'll take what I can get though

mtbr member
    While still savouring great memories and telling bonfire stories about Epic 8 at Mansfield, cursing all the rain that is coming down and screwing up the tire choice for every event, it is time to focus on the next get together at Hardwood - this coming weekend.

The weather promises to be unpredictable, which is in line with the season so far, so no surprises there. Hardwood course is usually very capable of sustaining some moisture without any effect on the race, but how much is enough?

Preriding starts on Wednesday - 9-9 (may as well race the Wednesday night series), Thursday through Saturday 9-5.

Looking forward to riding the full Boneshaker... It will be interesting... See you all there....
    Looking forward this race, especially if it's dry, warm, and I don't have drivetrain or crashing issue. Wishing for a clean, hard race. Good luck to all!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    kind of looking forward to this one, it is a hard course lots of short steep climbs, boneshaker, coffee run, and skid rock are all in it for the 1:30 race at least. There is a few corners that are a lot different then the last two years so it is a little unnatural to take them as some of those lines are pretty engrained in my head, from both racing C Cups and from racing Radical. Now all I can hope is that whatever is plaguing my shoulder right now will calm down today or tomorrow so I can ride trails again.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Evil Jr.
    I forgot that SS got moved to 1:30 for the C-Cup. Not loving that idea.

/runs to check Hydrocut conditions...

mtbr member
    I did not register for the race yet. I might skip this one if I cannot recover from the 8 hour race. I will decide after my Wednesday workout. The good news is that I donít feel too bad today.

I pre-rode the course last weekend and I found it very hard, even though I used my GF Superfly. At race pace on a rigid, single speed bike it will be painful!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

sock puppet
    what was so hard about the course? rough surface or climbs or else?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    A lot of steep climbs, mixed in with long grinding climbs, and short steep downhills so there is little recovery time.

sock puppet
    are you Arek's cousin?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    /runs to check Hydrocut conditions...
    pretty slick yesterday.

Like that I get to do all the fun downhills (coffee run, boneshaker, and BMX) 6 times. Don't like the relatively short 36 km though.

Looks like a super fun course though!

mtbr member
    osokolo: what was so hard about the course?

The section between the start and the end. The rest was very easy.

To be honest, the Canada Cup course always kicks my butt because of all the climbs, particularly after the boneshaker section.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rgkicksbutt View Post
    pretty slick yesterday.
    The WCC site actually says they're still closed. Here's hoping five dry days will do the trick!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    The WCC site actually says they're still closed. Here's hoping five dry days will do the trick!
    Yeah it should Already nice and grown in though from the wet spring and low traffic combination

Hardtail Freak
    I love Hardwood, it always kicks my ass too. The 50km Challenge in October is always the hardest. I haven't done that since 2009.
    2018 Stanton Slackline 853
    2016 Norco Torrent 7.1
    Gone - 2000 Marin Indian Fire Trail
    Gone - 2001 Brodie Holeshot

I Strava Hamburgers
    Since I suck ass and am racing in Citizen, whats the 6km course like? I imagine boring to Elite riders, but any insight would rock.

sock puppet
    I do believe you will be racing the full course.

Only Junior and Senior Elite will race shortened course, due to UCI regulations. Also, no Boneshaker for you. Hardwood course is always fun... but hard work...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishExperiment View Post
    A lot of steep climbs, mixed in with long grinding climbs, and short steep downhills so there is little recovery time.
    Hello - I'm a newbie to this whole scene & the Ocups. I'm a back of the pack sport rider & very happy to hear I'm not the only one who found the course tough! (pre rode yesterday)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    hey, 26er or 29er for hardwood this weekend. i've never been there and am travelling with only one bike...

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgod64 View Post
    hey, 26er or 29er for hardwood this weekend. i've never been there and am travelling with only one bike...
    Whichever one is the better climber.

mtbr member
    tight twisty single track and short steep climbs, with some long steep climbs thrown in there for good measure, as well as some bumpy single track and bumpy downhills. So really the bike you can hammer the fastest on the doubles and up the hills but still have tones of control in the tight twisty bumpy singles. Really fun course, I am sad that I think I have to bow out of it now due to a shoulder/neck strain riding after the 8 hour.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

sock puppet
    the course is easier than the last year. The only issue is that it feels already chewed up in places, only to get worse as the day progresses on Sunday. But it is what it is... I like the features around the boneshaker... Rode boneshaker a couple of times, just to make sure... Kinda lame going from the half only... Still enough rocks for spectacular spills... Defined a couple of lines, just in case. Passing on boneshaker would be priceless...

The rest of the course was a hard work, but didn't give me impression of many climbs etc, even though I am not a climber... Liked big rocks and log overs. Liked those drops as well, just to keep us focused till the end... Singletrack is mostly very tight and rough, wether it is the roots or just rough terrain... No passing in there, for sure. Lots of fast doubletrack for passing - that is good. Coffee Run is fast, can be tricky at higher speed...

No relaxation on this course, just constant hammer... Look forward to racing on Sunday...

Evil Jr.
    Passing on boneshaker would be priceless...
    The best place to pass on Boneshaker is at the bottom but it only works if the guy ahead of you stays to the left. You just have to roll the rocks on the right and you have enough of a boost in exit speed to get up the hill ahead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

I've signed Up!

This will be my first O-Cup ever! Looking forward to it. I won't be able to pre-ride the course before the race which is not ideal, but I guess it will add some additional excitement to the race!

sock puppet
    wow... this was one of the hardest races for me... it almost turned into "the last man standing" contest... i suspect there will be few DNFs...

since i did not connect a couple of fast laps during the preride, i think i underestimated the course... after the first lap i was thinking "what, 3 more laps of THIS?"... i also underestimated the need for hydration... one bottle was not enough. nearly enough. left me begging for spare water on my last lap... to no avail.... i was craving water so bad, i couldn't wait to finish the race to drink something... anything...

the course was relentless. couldn't drop the guard for a second... baby boneshaker was fun, but always tense. no issues here, but few guys flew over their handlebars... one right in front of me... very soon i realized that i made a mistake the night before, tuning up the bike for the race... screwed up the limiter for the big cog, rendering it useless and almost breaking the chain, until i realized what the issue was... i hate mechanicals... so discouraging...

with a goal to finish the race, i had to slow down on my 2nd lap and on, pushing as much as legs would go, but not a bit more. that strategy worked well and i kept going and going... the finish line looked sexier than ever... i thought i was the upper middle of the pack finisher... to my surprise, it was much better than that... allright...

congrats to everyone who raced today... it was a character building day, for the most part...

EDIT: BTW, thank you to all you gals and guys who were in the feed zone or just by the course and encouraging racers, before or after your races... it feels a million when hearing your name breaks the cycle of suffering... kudos to this tight community... way to go...

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Congratulations Oggie!

I wish I could have been there today, even though I know I couldn't have kept your pace.

... the finish line looked sexier than ever... i thought i was the upper middle of the pack finisher... to my surprise, it was much better than that... allright...
    Jouko

All my faucets is Moen.
    Yup, a good old fashion beat down today. It's nice to be back on the OCUP scene. Raced within ear shot of the podium all day until a mental collapse in the final few k.

I did some good things like stay in the lead group up the opening climb and chase back on after a crash. And I did some stupid things like crash between the Joyride ramps and had to run over the second one.

I concur with Oggie, the cheers of support definitely helped and I did what I could to pay it forward. Even when I couldn't remember Serious' real name I just yelled out Go Serious!

Nice job out the everyone.

mtbr member
    thedumbopinion,

Thank you so much for that support! I did realize who said "Go Serious" when I turned around that shack and saw you. It is great to hear friends and fellow racers cheer for each other.

I was a bit worried that the 8 hour race of last wekeend will affect me, but it was not a big factor after all. I had a decent race even though I am not crazy about racing so late in the day. The course was basically as expected - technical, tough and challenging. As it should be.

Congratulations to all who braved the heat and the tough course. Bigger congratulations to all who made it to the podium!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member

Really fun race, but some confusing things...

Well, I had a really fun race today to start with. Start was clean save for a minor collision between two guys that left one of them in the dirt temporarily. I settled in with three other guys that were similar pace to me and we likely didn't go as fast as I could have for lap two, but I don't know that we could gap the lead pack and the group behind us wasn't anywhere near catching us. We were gabbing and talking it up through 2.5 laps and had a hoot doing it.

On lap three, about 2/3 in, it was go time, or wait until the last 500m to figure out who was taking what I thought was fourth, but ended up being 6th. So I am glad of having put the hammer down and gapping the other guys before the coffee run race track.

After coming in I thought I was fourth...

So, this was my first Canada Cup race and I have to say there's a couple of things that could be done better.

1. Chip timing...Seriously what era are we in that we can't have this and then the final results don't even have individual lap times? And you have to wait until your category is finished and printed to see how you did...

2. Combining categories so that guys you don't know you don't have any clue as to what cat they are in...It changes the game guessing who is passing you or likewise when you are used to at least starting with all the riders in your category.

I know, I am going to be accused of belly aching but I am really just making an observation. This is supposed to be a premier event and these things could use some attention...

Those comments aside, it was a wicked fun race!
    Last edited by mtbmeister; 06-06-2011 at 05:20 AM.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Members who have read this thread: 0