O-Cup #2 @ Woodnewton- Mtbr.com
    sock puppet

O-Cup #2 @ Woodnewton

I waited for usual keeners to start the thread, but
    - GM is father to be now so he is excused,
    - nspace is just about to get married - not really an excuse but I do feel for him,
    - suppa' is not in great shape and is dreading racing all together,
    - smarty is pretending he is a cool cat,
    - jouko is still doing push ups,
    - mtbmeister is hoping someone else would do it for him
    - spak is busy recovering after morning session of spinning
    - shirk doesn't care,
    - enduramil is busy with McGuinty
    - noggs is MIA
    - PS forgot unglued - here is a honourable mention - don't want to get in trouble with a lawyer...

etc, etc...

So, regrettably, it has to be me.

Anyone else wondering what this added technical climb really is?

I hope the weather serves us better - last year rain spoiled the fun. The venue seems to be a lot of fun when dry...

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    - GM is father to be now so he is excused,
    Plus I'm building trail that day.

These future O-Cup courses don't just create themselves, ya know!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

rad to the power of sick

- suppa' is not in great shape and is dreading racing all together,

Anyone else wondering what this added technical climb really is?

I hope the weather serves us better - last year rain spoiled the fun. The venue seems to be a lot of fun when dry...
    Ill be there...should probably do a race sometime this year...and itll make all these shitty salad lunches ive been eating worthwhile...hopefully.

fingers crossed that it will be dry!

Im curious as to what this technical section will look like. In past experiences, man made techy sections were more like riding over cobblestone road, than, say, riding hilton falls.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'll be preriding on Thursday to check it out. I wasn't too keen on the course last year as there wasn't much technical stuff. Should be fun, and if it rains, bring it! Seems I ride well in those conditions

Evil Jr.
    That roller-coster bit at the end of last year was awesome. Definitely a highlight of the O-Cup season for me!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Course map: http://chicoracing.com/2011-mountain...ourse-map.html

Looks awesome. I love this course.

Sadly, the festivities will have to go on without me. Preservation of my marital status (it is my anniversary on Sunday) requires me to be elsewhere.

Hopefully VY can step up and take my spot in the SS train.

sock puppet

i am thinking thursday preride

as well... i'll hit it around 4pm... can you make it in earlier? anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Louda
    I'll be preriding on Thursday to check it out. I wasn't too keen on the course last year as there wasn't much technical stuff. Should be fun, and if it rains, bring it! Seems I ride well in those conditions

sock puppet

awww... that is too bad...

but i respect your commitment to your significant other.

Quote Originally Posted by smarty
    Course map: http://chicoracing.com/2011-mountain...ourse-map.html

Looks awesome. I love this course.

Sadly, the festivities will have to go on without me. Preservation of my marital status (it is my anniversary on Sunday) requires me to be elsewhere.

Hopefully VY can step up and take my spot in the SS train.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    as well... i'll hit it around 4pm... can you make it in earlier? anyone else?
    I thought it wasn't open for riding until 5? I'll be coming from Bolton with Superfly Craig, so I'm hoping he can leave work earlier around 330-4ish so we could be there for 5.

mtbr member
    I am in...No one offered to race for me > . I have no idea what to expect from this course not having done it last year. By all accounts, it should be good having had a little traffic on it and some Chico additions made to enhance it also. Hoping for a clean start this time, unlike Mansfield! Good luck to all!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

sock puppet
    it is open at 4pm. I think. I'll look for you two at the end of my first lap - if you want to hook up... with me, i mean... if you dont, i understand...

bi-winning
    I'll be there. Looking forward to riding a new course.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    I'm hoping to be there to try and not blow up on my last lap, hopefully the time spent on the bike this past weekend will help that!
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

I Wanna Be Sedated
    After my less-than-stellar performance at Mansfield, it became evident I need much more time on the XC bike to shake some demons and regain confidence.

As of tonight, I haven't had a ride on the XC bike since Mansfield. Expecting four laps of pain.
    Jouko

mtbr member
    I will be there too oogles. Maybe around 5, 5:30ish. I haven't calculated how long it takes to get there from Bolton. Going to give my new 1x6 build a test run, providing its ready to roll.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    skinny light tires for a 29er on this course ??? Last year the hills killed me! (3Laps), hope for no cramping this week with 4laps.

advise is welcomed.....LC(cheers)

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by twenty6black
    advise is welcomed.....LC(cheers)
    Start hydrating now!

sock puppet
    it is going to rain.... raiN... raIN... rAIN... RAIN!!!

good luck with skinny light tires... Rocket Rons here...

Evil Jr.
    it is going to rain.... raiN... raIN... rAIN... RAIN!!!
    It is starting to look that way isn't it? Race weekends just aren't really working out this year at all!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    It is starting to look that way isn't it? Race weekends just aren't really working out this year at all!
    How do you mean? Is mud contrary to the XC ethos?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald
    How do you mean? Is mud contrary to the XC ethos?
    Like most things, mud is fine in moderation. It just starts to get you down when you have to clean your bike with a chisel week after week. To think, just three years ago, the most I ever had to do to race prep my bike was dust it with a soft rag!

sock puppet

not at all...

Is mud contrary to the XC ethos?
    unlike DH if they had to actually pedal up the hill that they go down on...

god forbid if there is no chair...

we actually endorse mud... we enjoy it as much as we enjoy the cold beer after the race... any race without mud is not a race, but a soft ride through the woods... mud is an inspiration.

mtbr member
    Like most things, mud is fine in moderation. It just starts to get you down when you have to clean your bike with a chisel week after week. To think, just three years ago, the most I ever had to do to race prep my bike was dust it with a soft rag!
    Sorry, I neglected to include the appropriate winky-face! The truth is, I'm a terrible rider who switched from cyclocross to MTB two years ago, only to find everyone riding 29ers that look like CX bikes with flat bars! Worse, I always kinda sorta imagined that MTB races would be held over terrain that would break a fifteen pound carbon cross bike, and contain treacherous mud pits that would swallow 700x34 tires whole. To my pleasant surprise, I discovered that XC racing is about the racing, not about surviving the course with limbs and equipment intact.

I swore off racing after Mansfield, but if it does rain I will probably do Woodnewton. But definitely no way if it's dry.
    Last edited by raganwald; 05-11-2011 at 09:41 AM.

Evil Jr.
    Sorry, I neglected to include the appropriate winky-face! The truth is, I'm a terrible rider who switched from cyclocross to MTB two years ago, only to find everyone riding 29ers that look like CX bikes with flat bars! Worse, I always kinda sorta imagined that MTB races would be held over terrain that would break a fifteen pound carbon cross bike, and contain treacherous mud pits that would swallow 700x34 tires whole. To my pleasant surprise, I discovered that XC racing is about the racing, not about surviving the course with limbs and equipment intact.
    Lovely as O-Cups are, they do not represent the entire breadth of MTB racing. At one end, you have the super-sprint Super-Ds and at the other, 100-milers and multi-day stage races. And I've seen many carbon wonder-bikes crumble across them all.

sock puppet
    sometimes XC racing is like F1 - enjoy the wind in your hair, if you have it... Course is bone dry and smooth... Go as fast as your lets would push you...

sometimes XC racing is survival... just sign up for a marathon race with substance projects and try it. last year's Haliburton marathon race had it all - mud, rocks, washed out creek bed downhils etc... true survival of the fittest.

day 1 and 2 of the Crank the Shield, are quite to your liking - if you survive them...

picking and choosing WHAT to race is not happening here... you race regardless...

yes, racing the dry course is fun, grin inducing activity. however, racing under most adverse conditions has it's own merits that we all appreciate... neither one is better or easier. just different...

i am yet to pull out or cancel any race due to weather conditions. i just try to prepare as best as i can...

you just need to be around xc crowd a bit longer and you'll know it...

sock puppet

Like a beautiful, brand spanking new

Trek Top Fuel that broke within the first 20ish kms on Day 1 at Crank the Shield - Michael Mazza was the rider...

not the only one either...

And I've seen many carbon wonder-bikes crumble across them all.

mtbr member
    Lovely as O-Cups are, they do not represent the entire breadth of MTB racing. At one end, you have the super-sprint Super-Ds and at the other, 100-milers and multi-day stage races. And I've seen many carbon wonder-bikes crumble across them all.
    Aha! O-cups are a kind of gateway drug leading to TransAlps expeditions. Makes sense. As an aside, I saw a tech area at Mansfield. Are O-cups not entirely self-supported? Are you allowed to leave tools there? Spare wheels? A spare bike? Can you get assistance from a mechanic?

Evil Jr.
    Aha! O-cups are a kind of gateway drug leading to TransAlps expeditions. Makes sense. As an aside, I saw a tech area at Mansfield. Are O-cups not entirely self-supported? Are you allowed to leave tools there? Spare wheels? A spare bike? Can you get assistance from a mechanic?
    According to the Commissaire's Handbook, you must finish the race with the same frame and number plate that you used at the start. In the tech zone, you can store wheels and other bits and pieces and neutral technical assistance is allowed.

mtbr member
    According to the Commissaire's Handbook, you must finish the race with the same frame and number plate that you used at the start. In the tech zone, you can store wheels and other bits and pieces and neutral technical assistance is allowed.
    That is very interesting indeed. Can someone change out their entire bike somewhere during a race, then change back to the original frame for the final lap?

rad to the power of sick
    mud is satan spawn, and against everything i stand for.

Evil Jr.
    That is very interesting indeed. Can someone change out their entire bike somewhere during a race, then change back to the original frame for the final lap?
    I was just wondering that myself. Would probably have to flip through the UCI bible to know for sure but I believe the "spirit" of the rule is that you're meant to be on the same bike for the whole race. I don't think I've ever seen an entire bike in the tech zone before.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    mud is satan spawn, and against everything i stand for.
    These days are over for me, but:

And from another race:

Evil Jr.
    These days are over for me...
    Why did you forsake cyclocross? I find it's the perfect compliment to the end of MTB season.

And as for mud, it's as much part of CX as beer and cowbells!

mtbr member
    Why did you forsake cyclocross? I find it's the perfect compliment to the end of MTB season.
    I sold the CX bike to buy a 33 pound shore hardtail bike last year, so I've never actually owned both kinds of bike when the seasons transitioned. I now ride so slowly that observers are having trouble determining if the season has in fact started for me or whether I'm still on the couch watching Danny MacAskill videos.

It's looking like two straight days of rain, so Woodnewton may yet see me take my single speed cruiser bike out of the shed. If I can complete two laps, I will have doubled the personal best I set at Mansfield.

mtbr member
    superlightracer: mud is satan spawn, and against everything i stand for.

Well said.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

sock puppet
    pu$$y...

i know you love it, deep, deep down inside you...

rad to the power of sick
    These days are over for me, but:

And from another race:
    Yeah... eff that noise.

my worst nightmare right there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    superlightracer: mud is satan spawn, and against everything i stand for.

Well said.
    X2...Takes the fun out of it a lot of the time. I have my fingers crossed for a change in the forecast...My drivetrain has not behaved well in the slop in recent excursions.

mtbr member
    osokolo,

Yes, rain does take the fun out of it. It is best if it the rain gets going after we start the race. It is hard (impossible) to quit after I start a race.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

rad to the power of sick
    If its piss pour rain like its saying itll be, i definitely wont race. Ill be there though, with a wheel barrow full of excuses and apathy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    used to believe mud was evil and treacherous and avoided riding in it like the PLAGUE ( I would get off and walk rather than ride) - until just recently. I did a fair amount of winter mtb riding this year in sketchy conditions and have subsequently discovered that snow handling skills translate perfectly to mud. I also realized the bike does not melt when hosed off. So, I for one am praying for rain- that's probably my only hope for a respectable finish, given my woeful fitness!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by rckygrrl
    used to believe mud was evil and treacherous and avoided riding in it like the PLAGUE ( I would get off and walk rather than ride) - until just recently. I did a fair amount of winter mtb riding this year in sketchy conditions and have subsequently discovered that snow handling skills translate perfectly to mud. I also realized the bike does not melt when hosed off. So, I for one am praying for rain- that's probably my only hope for a respectable finish, given my woeful fitness!
    I like your spirit.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Pre-rode the course last night. With the start loop, it gets off a bit of a slow start on the lumpy grass, but the further you get into the lap the more fun it becomes. The good news is, you only have to do that once. Early on there is a new section of singletrack that's been built with a couple of log over and small man-made rock garden features. It's a little lumpy right now (hard to stay seated) until more traffic smooths it out, but not sure if that will happen by Sunday since the soil isn't very dense in this area. I think some rain will help this course overall though. As you get around to the half way point, the course starts getting more interesting. There is a piece of singletrack that dives into the gully that is very reminiscent of Kamikaze at the Hydrocut, and boy is it a blast to ride. Just be careful on your way up and around the first swoop as the soil is really loose in this area as you corner!

After the gully you continue to bomb down some windy singletrack until you have to make a hard right and make your way back to the top on the course's longest climb. As you get closer to the end of the lap, you have 2 really fun sections. The first is another singletrack downhill that runs along a bit of a ridge. There are lots of fun corners and a little concrete slab kicker as you finish. The second piece runs along the perimeter of the property adjacent to a side-road. I suspect this is going to be an awesome area to spectate, as you can see a ton of windy fast singletrack within one "view". As you make your way through this, you are confronted with a coupe more man-made rock gardens and some hard corners. At this point you are nearly done the lap.

I think the Chico guys did a great job on the course, and I think by the end, this course is going to feel more physically taxing than Mansfield. Good mix of climbing, and all the singletrack downhills are super fun (there are no long doubletrack downhills like at the end of the Mansfield course).

Looking forward to Sunday!

sock puppet
    pre-rode today... it was dusty...

the course is superfun. not as physically taxing as Mansfield (sorry Tom). I think it will be well behaved even if it rains. The greasy middle section - that was an issue last year because of the rain - is excluded this year. 1:30 start will get - what is called a "technical climb" - technical due to 2-3 tight switchbacks which may be an issue if it rains... Other than that - everything else will challenge us to go as fast as our motors would allow...

Some man made rock gardens will be interesting at speed and race pace exhaustion level... Cheat lines are available...

Chico did a great job designing the course... Let the festivities start...

mtbr member
    Ok, I rode the course last right (The "pre-ride" consisted of unpacking my bike from the trunk ). I'm in for tomorrow morning. I rode two laps with a short rest between, tomorrow's goal will be three laps without stopping. That will triple my Mansfield personal O -Cup best

The course is way, way better than Mansfield IMO. A lot of the singletrack was similar in character, but there were more ride-overs and a couple of sections featuring rolling bumps that get you out of the saddle and using body language to maintain pace.

There are two rock gardens. The first is a doddle and comes after a sharp turn in flat singletrack, so I didn't hit it with any speed. The second is longer and comes after a downhill banked turn, so you can hit it as fast as you like. I whaled on it the second time around, but I'm still here so it can't be that harsh.

There was also a medium-sized ride-over rock that looks harder than it is. It is round enough that you will not bash or hang up on a chainring, so it does not require any advanced moves to pass. Those three features all had ride-arounds, and the ridearounds were very short. I'm not experienced enough to know if taking the features is a shortcut or if you'll go faster riding around them.

I'll be riding the features every time, but that is a luxury I can afford by not being good enough to worry about whether I'm losing time.

As Oggie mentioned, there's a short section of singletrack reserved for the expert and elite riders featuring some climbing switchbacks. The rest of us take some doubletrack past it. If you see me listed as DQ, it will be because I got busted for riding (and running, let's be honest about my lack of climbing prowess) the singletrack instead of the doubletrack there.

The downhill is WAY WAY more fun than Mansfield. I've been told that Mansfield made for good racing because the doubletrack downhills provided passing opportunities, whereas Woodnewton has singletrack DH. So no judgment about that from me, just a note that it swoops, it carves, you can really have fun. I caught good air on one hump. Whee! Right after that is a long doubletrack climb, I had to walk that. I imagine that gaining a few seconds in the DH is irrelevant next to climbing well, but hopefully I will be able to go even faster down that thing under race conditions. I might take a mouth guard with me just in case I go off.

I rode the course with flat pedals. I'm divided about clipless. It obviously helps on double track. I'm not going to be in the running, but if I'm a little more efficient, I have a better chance of finishing all three laps, stands to reason. It doesn't do much for me on singletrack, and on the DH I did put a foot down and slide the bike on some of the turns. If it's soft on Sunday, I might need more torque and clipless will really help.

I guess I need more experience riding DH using clipless, if I was confident I could go flat out with my feet attached, I'd ride clipless with confidence.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to hearing from someone that is preriding today to see how the moisture affected it. I don't think there was as much rain as expected and it could use a little in spots. Surprisingly, it was rather dusty yesterday, so a good splash might tack it up a little. Definitely some superfun downhills. Unfortunately, the last rock garden was taped off yesterday on the first two laps so I only had one successful run through it. I would prefer to have found a couple lines that work as there is some good size baby heads in there that could send someone OTB. If they are a little wet and mucky, it's a crap shoot whether to take the "easy" route. Looking forward to a fun race!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    I would prefer to have found a couple lines that work as there is some good size baby heads in there that could send someone OTB.
    IIRC, there's an obvious groove where you enter the garden. A few feet in is a key stone. You can go left of it and weave between some stones, or you can go to the right and roll over some flat rocks. When dry, those flat rocks were easy and that line may look worse than weaving, but it was easier at speed.

Once you're past that, there were a few good lines. Most people I saw went full right. but I found it faster to go straight down the middle, maybe a touch left. Full left was not fun.

mtbr member
    I pre-rode this morning. The rain made things a little more "interesting". IMHO, the course was still good, but already greasy in spots. Front wheel could go from under you if you push it too much in speedy turns. The rock gardens are slippery like hell, so I might avoid them, especially the last one. I doubt many can go through it faster than the easy way around.

If it rains all night it will be messy and with pouring rain it will be downright nasty.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    I pre-rode this morning. The rain made things a little more "interesting". IMHO, the course was still good, but already greasy in spots. Front wheel could go from under you if you push it too much in speedy turns. The rock gardens are slippery like hell, so I might avoid them, especially the last one. I doubt many can go through it faster than the easy way around.

If it rains all night it will be messy and with pouring rain it will be downright nasty.
    Thanks for sharing. Glad to here your reference to "interesting" instead of some of the more endearing terms that could be used if it was a sloppy mess. I share your thoughts on the rock gardens especially the last one. You really won't lose much time if any taking the easy route and the speed coming around it is more than sufficient to maintain position without risking a crash. At least that's what I am telling myself.

I have been weather watching as usual and it would appear that it will be worst in the next 6-8 hours, with some sprinkles tomorrow. Assuming they have a clue of course. Should be a really interesting race to say the least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    I share your thoughts on the rock gardens especially the last one. You really won't lose much time if any taking the easy route and the speed coming around it is more than sufficient to maintain position without risking a crash. At least that's what I am telling myself.
    I would be amazed if you would lose much if any time taking the easy route around either rock garden even in dry conditions.

It really did not look to me like the trail builders were trying to give people a bonus or short-cut for riding the technical features, they were just giving people options so that those people who enjoy the technical features would have an interesting course to ride and those people who don't enjoy them would have a worry-free course to ride.

sock puppet
    my thoughts as well...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Hard Easy

The course was amazing Thursday. Lots of choices in the rock gardens. 29ers work well.
    Today I was told about 70% through very little traction in one area..
    I wonder if Chico will modify course to do volume of rain.

Evil Jr.
    I have a better chance of finishing all three laps, stands to reason.
    Good luck to you in this. If nothing else, I would say that this should be your objective. Forget about evertything else - this is paramount. I'm sure you'll be fine. My thoughts are with you all (as I lay out some distant O-Cup, deep in the wilds of Hamilton... )

sock puppet
    they already did... the middle greasy section from last year is out...

i wonder if the 1:30pm only - climb - will remain a part of the course in the afternoon... it's got a few very tight switchbacks and nice elevation...

at this point, i feel pretty numb thinking about this muddy race... it is what it is.... we are all used to it by now...

mtbr member
    at this point, i feel pretty numb thinking about this muddy race... it is what it is.... we are all used to it by now...

p.s. Also applies to people who walk up hills and have troubles finishing the course

mtbr member
    I hate racing in the mud!

Call me a wussy, but I hate racing in anything that prevents me from getting traction or causing my wheels to roll slowly. I like to go fast, and features that are put in place that I need to slow down for and navigate are fine, mud, I hate. I also need to work on this, especially mentally. I got my ass handed to me in the sludgy sections. I was being passed like I was standing still. The choice of tires didn't help either (specialized fast trax), but I don't think anyone was getting good traction in those sections but they were certainly motoring faster than me.

First lap I did just fine, had a nice 3 person pack making some good time, then second lap, poor ddakin had another technical, watched his chain break right in front of me (luckily it was at the start finish). I thought he had dropped, but he kept on trucking, and major kudos to him. I had a horrible second lap. I lost contact with first place and my motivation and enjoyment went quickly. I really struggled through the muddy sections. At one point, I just got off my bike to tuck my glasses in my jersey and didn't seem to care how much time I lost.

By the third lap, I was caught by another guy in the division and had relinquished myself to just holding on to third place, then ddakin passed me! I was happy to see he made his way back up, but now I was off the podium. I starting wallowing in my own self pity, then decided I could go faster (and luckily we were already through the muddy sections!). I knew there were two climbs left and decided to give'r as best I could to see if I could catch ddakin and the other guy. First climb I got about half of the distance covered and didn't have to blow myself up. I managed to ride well on the valley descent and other singletrack and pulled them in. On the last climb, I gave it and ddakin and I got a descent gap on 4th place. We then a pretty good battle going for second. I wasn't overly concerned about 2nd or 3rd and told ddakin not to do anything stupid, lets just ride safe. He suggested a sprint to the line. I took him when he went around the last rock garden and I went through it. He then slipped on the inside of one of the last corners. I plowed through the last mucky section on his wheel, but he powered through better and took second.

Overall, I was pretty happy. Due to some other commitments, I've had no training in the past 2 weeks, but before the Canada Cup I should be able to get some good riding in. I also need to get the endurance racing mentality out of my head. I find myself settling into that 'comfortable' zone too much, when I could be going a lot faster. Should be a fun time at the next race.

Evil Jr.
    How was the weather overall? It didn't REALLY start raining (just spitting) here until about 11:30 this morning and then things got really wet...

mtbr member
    GM, it rained the whole time at Woodnewton. I stood in my car between 9 and 9:55 AM debating with myself if I should race or go home. But as usual, I made the less-than-rational choice and lined up in the rain with many other miserable looking people.

Fortunately once the race started, I warmed up and felt much better. I basically raced against Guy (Le Hare ) most of the time. We switched spots several times, but every time I passed him he came back stronger and passed me. At the end he just powered through ahead of me by a comfortable margin.

I know Guy was brought down to my level because of the nasty conditions, but I think both of us enjoyed the friendly competition. I know I did. Thanks Guy for pushing me so hard.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    I took him when he went around the last rock garden and I went through it.
    That's awesome, it sounds really exciting! alas, he squeaked back into the lead, but you certainly made him work for it with a daring attack in the serious rock garden. Great stuff!

All my faucets is Moen.
    First lap I did just fine, had a nice 3 person pack making some good time, then second lap, poor ddakin had another technical, watched his chain break right in front of me (luckily it was at the start finish). I thought he had dropped, but he kept on trucking, and major kudos to him.
    I knew Dakin had a solid MTBing core buried under that roadie exterior. Hopefully I'm fit enough to mix mix it up with you guys at the Canada Cup.

mtbr member
    That's awesome, it sounds really exciting! alas, he squeaked back into the lead, but you certainly made him work for it with a daring attack in the serious rock garden. Great stuff!
    We had a fun little end to the race. I really wasn't trying to get by him in that section. I rode it every lap and wasn't going to stop now. I didn't even ride it that clean, worst of the three laps, but it was faster than going around.

I think our division is going to have a fun little battle at the Canada Cup.

mtbr member
    Results are up here and here!

p.s. I have no idea who the various photographers are. When the pics go up, could people please either PM me links or post them here? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Check www.cyclingphotos.ca and http://www.kraikerphoto.com/ - I saw both those guys out today.

---

I was happy to see 10th place today when I checked out the post-race results but now I see online my position's changed to 11th (in 30-34 sport). Bummer ... not sure how that happened. Anyone know who the proper contact is at Chico/OCA to request a double-check? Not a big deal but I wouldn't mind asking at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shapelike
    Check www.cyclingphotos.ca and http://www.kraikerphoto.com/ - I saw both those guys out today.
    Thanks! I saw the cyclingphotos.ca guy, I think he's J. Safka, he greeted me by name. I guess he remembers me from Cyclocross...

I was happy to see 10th place today when I checked out the post-race results but now I see online my position's changed to 11th (in 30-34 sport). Bummer ... not sure how that happened. Anyone know who the proper contact is at Chico/OCA to request a double-check? Not a big deal but I wouldn't mind asking at least.
    I heard at least one other person noting that they were marked as finishing one place behind someone they are sure they beat. Did the timing system have some hiccups?

mtbr member
    That was my category.

From what I heard and saw, the initial results were a little wonky. I thought I heard them say the new system there were using didn't like the rain.

The guy I came up with, who raced sport 19-29 was originally placed as a DNF, saying he hadn't finished, which he did.

ddakin from our category also had his timing a little wonky. He had to fix his chain and was running through the start finish. Original results had him doing a a 50 something minute second lap, which was the time for his 2nd and 3rd. They corrected this just before podiums, possibly why you went down.

---

Last edited by CptSydor; 05-15-2011 at 04:50 PM.

mtbr member
    That was a great race, nice work in the sport category guys, it sounds like there is a lot of fun competition going on there.

Well it looks like I didn't have to wait until Canada cup to get my first top ten finish, however a lot of guys who beat me last time weren't there. So still a bit of work to do for the rest of this month. off the line I was DFL and pretty much stayed there until the first little steep hill. Got behind some people in the mucky single track on the first lap so I ended up running a fairly large section where I lost a lot of places which I had to earn back though the double track. Third and Fourth lap I pretty much rode with somebody else, that was pretty good. Over all I will say that with the conditions of woodnewton today I am glad that there was much more double track then single track out there, if it were dry it would not have been as interesting a course, but none the less it was a fun day of racing!
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

bi-winning
    How to ride the rock garden:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/23775815" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/23775815">Woodnewton Rock Garden</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user4992128">Ryan J</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

sock puppet

wussy...

Call me a wussy,
    first, you complain about mud, second, you lose sprint finish...

tsk, tsk, tsk...

i hope you don't get rejected tonight...

sock puppet
    hmmm, i must start this comment by saying that under the circumstances - Chico designed the course that was a blast... yeah, there were greasy sections etc, etc... but this course was still a lot of fun, way beyond my expectations...

i also think that 29ers had a distinctive advantage in greasy sections, but i may be biased....

it was pretty cold, waiting for the start of the race... however, once the race started - cold and wet became a non issue... my game plan was to hammer on the double track as hard as i can and be cautious in the singletrack... i figured, the easiest gain is going deep into zone 11 on DT as pushing it in the singletrack could cost too much. Including the last rock garden... kudos to those that cleaned it every time, but i hear there were too many that didnt... i actually managed to pass a guy in a frantic finish, by going around... all other man made obstacles were a safe bet...

i had a pretty good race until mid second lap when i noticed that my rear tire was starting to get soft... at that moment i remembered that i scraped the barbed wire by the starting zone, with my rear wheel as i was turning back - to get into the correct box... sidewall slow leak... yes, i had stan's in there, but it wasn't sealing...

had to stop by the barn and use my only cartridge to top up the air... gord, jeff and few others just zoomed by me... but now I was good for another lap... yelled at a friend of mine, who was spectating, that i would need air on my next lap...

had to slow down a bit in certain spots, particularly in the kamikaze rolling section and then again towards the end... i was running on rims in some corners but luckily i made it into the technical zone... pumped as much air with floor pump and stuffed an air cartridge in my back pocket and off i went for the last lap... steve and dave zoomed by me during this operation...

caught up some riders on the last lap and almost had to sprint finish to beat howard... left enough juice just in case, but it wasn't needed...

i rarely have mechanicals... considering how many races i go through, i consider myself really lucky but also do not leave anything unattended preparing for the race... it was a tough feeling thinking that i would have to DNF because of this freaky slow leak. prior to this race i didnt have to top up the air in tires for weeks... shows how it is easy to run out of luck, at any given time, and how important it is to line up physical, mental and mechanical performance in order to succeed..

congrats to everyone who braved crappy weather forecast leading to this race and bad weather during the race... serious - way to go, but the list goes on and on... LeHair hates wet and mud - but he was there too... congrats to craig who podiumed in SS category - he is finally that fast... hard work pays... twenty6black - with Spesh Renegade in the back - that must have been fun. congrats on bringing it home...

now, can we please get a break and have some good racing weather for once... not because we hate mud, but because we've had it enough and we do like dry and fast... at least once in a while....

it was good seeing everyone today...

bi-winning
    Jouko

jcr1

bi-winning
    Mmm, yeah. O-Cup #2 went much better for me than O-Cup #1. At Mansfield, I was pretty much seeing stars all race long.

Once again, the weather forecast was very poor, but for the race the weather was ok. A little cool, with some real light rain at times, but not the worst weather I've raced in.

Personally, I don't mind riding in the mud once in a while. Overall, I thought the course was very fun. Considering the amount of rain that fell prior to the race, I think the course was in fantastic shape. Imagine if O-Cup #2 would have been at Albion like it typically is? Yikes. Woodnewton handled the wetness well. I found the course more interesting than Mansfield. The descents were fun, and all of the singletrack had a challenging element to it due to the mud. Also, everything was rideable. No hike a bike needed. Sweet. The were some easy / hard lines, which I think helped to accommodate the less / more skilled riders.

As for the rock garden, it tripped me up the first lap, but I managed to ride it (slowly) on laps two and three.

As for my fitness, I definitely felt better than two weeks ago. I was able to pace myself appropriately. It felt a little more like racing, even if I was only fighting for 15th place. None of the climbs were exceptionally long, which bodes well for me. Skill wise, my performance was passable.

My bike performed flawlessly. The WTB Prowler MX tires (fairly open knobby) worked well enough.

In conclusion, I had fun.

mtbr member
    I had a blast this weekend. Starting in the rain and cold never gets me too excited but as osoloko mentioned, once everything got going it was neither. Maybe a little wet, but there was far less mud flinging me in the eyes than I initially anticipated. I had by best finish in a long time at an OCUP, with 5th in SS. I did hear that everyone who raced after 10:00 got the greasy really muddy section of singletrack removed from their course?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well done on your race Tom!!! Congrats on your finish, you did great! And you looked really good too... your eyes didn't look like they were on fire or squirelly lol!

Yeah, they took that last bit of singletrack after the 10pm races, which was too bad... just would have made for more excitement Course held up great! And i Had a blast too. Great job Chico!

mtbr member
    More importantly, congrats on your first place victory!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks! Felt great to get the win, especially coming back from a broken ankle... I think just focusing on one sport and dropping triathlons has really made the difference this year!

mtbr member
    If you're into Facebook, Chris Bagley has started to post some pics. Right now he has 115 of what appear to be 9am riders. He says he left before the 1:30 race. Hard to blame him, it was not a good day to be standing in one place for a long time... But hopefully he'll get some 10am and 11:45am pics up there for duffers like me.

Update: 50 more, including the singlespeed men and some of the master sport men.

Update: More of the 10am riders, including some pf the women, more of the men, and the lowly "Try" guys (Image (c) 2011 Chris Bagley Photography, used with permission)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails O-Cup #2 @ Woodnewton-chris_bagley_photography_woodnewton.jpg  

Last edited by raganwald; 05-19-2011 at 07:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    didnt do very well - but didnt cramp and had a BLAST - Chico Racing, cheers and great job - do the same again and Woodnewton will be a 4star venue! thx

mtbr member

Video of OCup #2 Woodnewton

Hi there:

CRTV has a brief video report from up: link at www.chainreactiontv.ca

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by CRTV
    Hi there:

CRTV has a brief video report from up: link at www.chainreactiontv.ca
    Cool video, thanks for posting. A nice recap of the day's events.

Members who have read this thread: 0