O-Cup #1 - Dagmar....conditions?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    (aka SS_MB-7)
    Reputation: 1speed_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    924

    O-Cup #1 - Dagmar....conditions?

    Is anyone else racing O-Cup #1 at Dagmar this Sunday?

    I'll be there for the 1pm start on Sunday. I've raced Dagmar many, many times, but am curious if anyone can tell me what the conditions are like? Our local trails (Ottawa) are drying-up nicely, despite the long winter. But, we've had some recent rains which have brought back the mud. I've got a range of tires that I can select from: IRC Mythos, Panaracer TrailBlaster 1.8s, Continental Twisters, IRC MudMads (doubt it will be that muddy), Hutchinson Spiders and Pythons, etc.

    Also, has the course been confirmed? I'm assuming that we'll be running-up the hill near the end of the lap (near the parking lot).
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

  2. #2
    Looking for Adventure
    Reputation: Ricksom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,060

    Durham Good

    Rode Durham Forest and Glenn Major (just 2 km west of Dagmar) on the weekend. Dagmar has a little less sand in the soil, but the conditions at Durham and Glenn Major were dry and firm. It is quite possible that Dagmar will have some small patches of mud puddles at the bottom of valleys and large dips, but should be firm and dry with some damp areas overall. Course map is at WWW.CHICORACING.COM under Events.

    Good Luck!

  3. #3
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,968
    I'll be there Im doing the 17-18 sport cat.Never ridden dagmar before and it's unlikely that I'll get out for a pre-ride. Can someone explain the course for me?
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

  4. #4
    (aka SS_MB-7)
    Reputation: 1speed_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Rode Durham Forest and Glenn Major (just 2 km west of Dagmar) on the weekend. Dagmar has a little less sand in the soil, but the conditions at Durham and Glenn Major were dry and firm. It is quite possible that Dagmar will have some small patches of mud puddles at the bottom of valleys and large dips, but should be firm and dry with some damp areas overall. Course map is at WWW.CHICORACING.COM under Events.

    Good Luck!
    Looking at the course map (http://www.chicoracing.com/ocup1map.htm), they don't appear to be using the last climb south-west of the parking lot. But, everything else looks the same.

    Forecast (http://www.theweathernetwork.com/wea...s/CAON0706.htm) is for rain all-day Saturday and scattered showers on Sunday. Hmm, tire selection will be interesting...guess I'll have to bring a couple sets and swap accordingly.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

  5. #5
    (aka SS_MB-7)
    Reputation: 1speed_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by trekracer8000
    I'll be there Im doing the 17-18 sport cat.Never ridden dagmar before and it's unlikely that I'll get out for a pre-ride. Can someone explain the course for me?
    Dagmar is one of the more fun courses on the O-Cup circuit. It has a little of everything: a few technical sections, a few steep climbs and a few longish climbs that begin to take their toll on you, some nice areas where you can open-up a little, some nice tight singletrack, etc. Here's the course map: http://www.chicoracing.com/ocup1map.htm
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

  6. #6

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2

    Rode On Wednesday night.

    Did the pre-ride last night at the weekly series, some new singletrack added, we had light rain and the course was pretty slick. I was running IRC Serac's and if it is wet on Sunday I will changing tires. On the up-side Sean's course is excellent and we do not do the ski-hill.

  7. #7
    (aka SS_MB-7)
    Reputation: 1speed_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner
    Did the pre-ride last night at the weekly series, some new singletrack added, we had light rain and the course was pretty slick. I was running IRC Serac's and if it is wet on Sunday I will changing tires. On the up-side Sean's course is excellent and we do not do the ski-hill.
    Judging by the weather forecast for Saturday and Sunday, I suspect the course will be in similar conditions as you described for last night's race. What tires will you be running?
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

  8. #8
    mac
    mac is offline
    high school Prom King
    Reputation: mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    30

    How do you like the Spiders?

    I have been running a python rear and a scorpion front for a couple of seasons (I like both), so I am curious about the spiders...

    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    Is anyone else racing O-Cup #1 at Dagmar this Sunday?

    I'll be there for the 1pm start on Sunday. I've raced Dagmar many, many times, but am curious if anyone can tell me what the conditions are like? Our local trails (Ottawa) are drying-up nicely, despite the long winter. But, we've had some recent rains which have brought back the mud. I've got a range of tires that I can select from: IRC Mythos, Panaracer TrailBlaster 1.8s, Continental Twisters, IRC MudMads (doubt it will be that muddy), Hutchinson Spiders and Pythons, etc.

    Also, has the course been confirmed? I'm assuming that we'll be running-up the hill near the end of the lap (near the parking lot).

  9. #9
    (aka SS_MB-7)
    Reputation: 1speed_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by mac
    I have been running a python rear and a scorpion front for a couple of seasons (I like both), so I am curious about the spiders...
    I had ~6 long, hard rides on the Spiders. Conditions were very rocky, rooty and slick with tight singletrack. I absolutely hated the Spiders. I had 0 confidence in them. I found they would break-out unpredictably, couldn't hold a line, climbing traction was iffy (at best), and despite the widely spaced knobs, they still packed-up like any other tires. In short, I quickly swapped them for my trust IRC Mythos....ah, what a difference.

    I may give them another shot later, but for now, I'm going to stick with my Mythos (which seem to be a perfect match for the terrain and conditions). But, who knows, your results may be the complete opposite.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

  10. #10
    almost there!
    Reputation: AJ541's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    341

    Dagmar course continued...

    I was at the Wednesday night race/pre-ride and I did 2 laps of the course - one before the race and one for the race. It started raining just before the race started so my ride beforhand was enjoyable - I was riding with a Conti Explorer on the front and a really worn down Fire XC 1.8 on the back and these tires were perfect when the course was dry. When I did my 2nd lap, the course was really slick in parts and you were slowing down mainly in the steep climbs and technical parts. With some of the steep climbs you were better off pushing your bike up since traction was almost impossible (no matter what tire you were using). Both tires were ok in the mud, the Explorer's downside was that it would clog up but it was getting better traction than the Fire XC 1.8, but my rear tire wasn't clogging up and it would only get traction when you leaned into a turn.

    For Sunday I might leave my tires the way they are, or swap rear tire for another Explorer?

    Since they took out the ski hill climb, they've replaced that with more singletrack climbing. I found that my 1st lap through the course seemed really hard mainly because of the short steep climbs but after doing it once it seemed easier the 2nd time.

    I'm hoping that it doesn't start raining on Sunday until after the race is over! (I'm starting at 1:00 pm too).

  11. #11
    (aka SS_MB-7)
    Reputation: 1speed_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ541
    I was at the Wednesday night race/pre-ride and I did 2 laps of the course - one before the race and one for the race. It started raining just before the race started so my ride beforhand was enjoyable - I was riding with a Conti Explorer on the front and a really worn down Fire XC 1.8 on the back and these tires were perfect when the course was dry. When I did my 2nd lap, the course was really slick in parts and you were slowing down mainly in the steep climbs and technical parts. With some of the steep climbs you were better off pushing your bike up since traction was almost impossible (no matter what tire you were using).
    Sounds like I'll get to use my cyclocross dismounting, running, remounting skills

    Quote Originally Posted by AJ541
    Both tires were ok in the mud, the Explorer's downside was that it would clog up but it was getting better traction than the Fire XC 1.8, but my rear tire wasn't clogging up and it would only get traction when you leaned into a turn.
    Sounds like sticky mud. Wonder how the IRC MudMads would do?

    Quote Originally Posted by AJ541
    For Sunday I might leave my tires the way they are, or swap rear tire for another Explorer?

    Since they took out the ski hill climb, they've replaced that with more singletrack climbing. I found that my 1st lap through the course seemed really hard mainly because of the short steep climbs but after doing it once it seemed easier the 2nd time.

    I'm hoping that it doesn't start raining on Sunday until after the race is over! (I'm starting at 1:00 pm too).
    I don't really mind the rain. Some of my best rides/races have been in the rain. You just gotta go with it and have fun.

    See ya at the start line at 1:00. I'm Master Expert (30-39). You?
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

  12. #12
    almost there!
    Reputation: AJ541's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    341

    ... and if we just ... a fellow competitor...

    See ya at the start line at 1:00. I'm Master Expert (30-39). You?


    Yep I'm in the same category, so we'll be competing against each other! I'll be wearing the new Northern Cycle jersey, you can't miss it, it's bright orange and blue. Although there might be 3 of us in that category wearing that jersey. I'll keep an a eye out for the guy on the course riding a single speed, that's if I'm passing you - or you're passing me?!

    Adam

  13. #13
    (aka SS_MB-7)
    Reputation: 1speed_Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ541
    See ya at the start line at 1:00. I'm Master Expert (30-39). You?


    Yep I'm in the same category, so we'll be competing against each other! I'll be wearing the new Northern Cycle jersey, you can't miss it, it's bright orange and blue. Although there might be 3 of us in that category wearing that jersey. I'll keep an a eye out for the guy on the course riding a single speed, that's if I'm passing you - or you're passing me?!

    Adam
    Cool. I'll be wearing a red/white/blue "Catena Networks CycleLogik Racing" kit. See ya on the trails!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    15

    Did anyone ride today?

    Did anyone pre-ride today.. I know that we got a REALLY heavy downpour here in Barrie... how muddy is it going to be?
    See y'all there.. rain or shine!!!!

Similar Threads

  1. NRS Air Frame VS VT 1 Frame
    By NRSAirDriver in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 04:34 PM
  2. Anyone have a Surly 1 x 1 fork they'll part with?
    By SDizzle in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2004, 02:52 PM
  3. Minute 1 vs. Marathon S
    By running life in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 03:30 PM
  4. Mountain Bike Gear Ratio Calculator V4.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 11:57 AM
  5. Mountain Bike Gear Ratio Calculator V4.0
    By FireDog46 in forum Canadian Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 11:27 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.