O' Canada!- Mtbr.com

Thread: O' Canada!

mtbr member

O' Canada!

I will be visiting your lovely country April 25th and staying for 4 days.
    My wife has an education conference in King City. She is occupied for about 8 hours a day so I will need your help filling my days with bicycles, food and whatever else you can recommend.

I will have a vehicle so travel is not a problem. I also realize that this is not the optimal time of year, but I will work with what I have got.

A few pertinent questions I have;
    What are trail conditions like then?
    Weather?
    Where should I ride?
    Where should I eat?
    Fat Bike or regular type?

I have been riding 20+ years, 4-5 times a week so I'm not scared of much... except boring trails.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    That's a tough time of year to predict anything. There have been years were the trails are in prime riding conditions and other years were they are still covered in snow and ice. I would wait until the middle of April and then ask again. There is a indoor park that you could check out though, Joyride 150 is only about 30 minutes from King City.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member

Moderator Moderator
    If you don't mind driving a couple hours south the Turkey Point trails are sure to be dry and riding well by then. Best place in Southern Ontario to ride in the spring because of the sandy soil that drains well. We have over 70km of trails now.

www.tpmbc.com

mtbr member
    That Paris to Ancaster race really had me going until I realized my flight out is Saturday at 4 pm.

Turkey Point looks awesome, a little further than I wanted to drive but the rideability in the spring might move it close to the top of the list.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=can't get right;13037683]That Paris to Ancaster race really had me going until I realized my flight out is Saturday at 4 pm.

that is too bad. This is a must ride for most of us around here, and a lot of northern New York state riders. I really think that our weather will be fine for almost all of the trails, with the possibility of rain and therefore mud. It is a shame that so many of the peeps that used to hang out here have moved on as there were so many helpful souls and many great riders. I bet you will get hooked up and have a great few days of riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    My wife has an education conference in King City. She is occupied for about 8 hours a day so I will need your help filling my days with bicycles, food and whatever else you can recommend.

I will have a vehicle so travel is not a problem. I also realize that this is not the optimal time of year, but I will work with what I have got.

Weather?
    Where should I ride?
    Where should I eat?

I have been riding 20+ years, 4-5 times a week so I'm not scared of much... except boring trails.

Thanks in advance!
    Welcome, eh?
    Where are you coming from? What kind of trails are you looking to ride, should conditions be favourable? (flowy cross country? rocky & technical?)

You'll definitely want to check back a couple weeks before your trip to find out how our spring is going. As Dgage said, we won't know what kind of spring we're going to have until we're right in the middle of it.
    I love riding my bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetfilly7 View Post
    Welcome, eh?
    Where are you coming from? What kind of trails are you looking to ride, should conditions be favourable? (flowy cross country? rocky & technical?)

You'll definitely want to check back a couple weeks before your trip to find out how our spring is going. As Dgage said, we won't know what kind of spring we're going to have until we're right in the middle of it.
    Coming in from sunny and warm St. George, Utah. (It's 69 degrees today.) So my version of techy and rocky might be different than yours. I am hoping for something a little different, trees would be nice.

I will definitely revive this question as it gets close.

trail gnome
    Coming in from sunny and warm St. George, Utah. (It's 69 degrees today.) So my version of techy and rocky might be different than yours. I am hoping for something a little different, trees would be nice.
    Funny coincidence.... I am going to Hurricane/St. George area around that time (20th to the 26th).

A few people in the EC sub-forum have ridden in your area. If you list some of the trails you like back home, perhaps someone can suggest something with a similar difficulty level but a different flavour here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    Funny coincidence.... I am going to Hurricane/St. George area around that time (20th to the 26th).
    You will have a great time, weather is perfect right now and the trails are in great condition.

Do you know of any shops that rent bikes up there? The interwebs don't show much which surprises me.

trail gnome
    I don't. Sorry. I always bring my bike when I'm in that area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Don't know how you are making out with your quest for trails to ride but my local trails are currently in perfect condition! ~125km worth but they are about an hour away from King City. Look up Durham Forest and Dagmar Trails. I know there are a few other trails systems closer to King but I don't think any have the amount of trails that Durham Forest does.

As for Bike Shops that rent. I know Northern Cycle has a fleet of Trek Demo bikes and I think Impala Cycle here in Whitby does as well.

I'd be happy to take you for a tour on Wed afternoon (26th) if you like, I usually ride after work, can be up in the trails and good to go for 5:00p, which might be outside your time frame.

If you do decide to ride Durham or Dagmar, I'd suggest installing Maprika onto your phone and then uploading the DF or Dagmar maps. Dagmar is well mapped out with posts at intersections but DF ... well, that is a little different! I can't tell you how many people I've helped get out of there over the years.

Trailforks works as well, but Maprika is awesome and does not use cell data.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If you're in King City, you might as well just head North to the Barrie area.

Better trails, less people, less traffic etc etc.

Took this yesterday. As you can see, the trails should be great when you get here on the 25th. This was after two days of rain.

One thing that sucks about places around here, though, is that a lot of the forests tend being an absolute spider web of trails.

For food, I don't eat in King much, but The Locale has been good in the past - Locale

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Good call on Copeland Forest! didn't think of that, you are right, quite a bit closer, although not as many trails as DF.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Weather?
    Where should I ride?
    Where should I eat?

Thanks in advance!

So are you coming still?

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Well, of course today is 4C and pouring rain.

You are a 10 min drive away from the King Brewery, so give it a shot. I like their Pilsner.