Nova Scotia and New Brunswick- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Nova Scotia and New Brunswick

Hey my great neighbors to the north

I will be spending the month of July traveling throughout NB and NS. I have been doing some research on places to ride. I am asking for your recommendations for best places to ride. I mostly prefer long climbs to long downs ( i guess this is now considered enduro) but love riding everything.
    Also any recommendations on must visit places, camping areas, breweries etc. We will be traveling in our DIY camper van.
    Any info is much appreciated. If you see a white van with New Hampshire plates and 3 dogs, come say hi and maybe we can ride.
    Cheers,
    Todd

Rocking on a Rocky
    Fundy National Park new trails are awesome. White Rock in Hillsborough NB. Elgin NB trails are a bit hard to find. Down lad Trail Forks NB maps and check them out.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    The highest concentration of trails in NS/NB is in the Fredericton area. Nothing in the area is really considered 'enduro', or I should say there aren't many super long descents, mainly undulating. MVP, Hadley and if you want something completely different, travel up the hwy to Minto. Great craft beer scene in Fredericton as well (Graystone, Trailway, Grimross, Picaroons, Maybee).

Fundy is worth the trip and Whiterock outside Moncton is really good as was mentioned.

Saint John has a good set of trails in Rockwood Park and in Sussex there is the Bluffs (pop into Outdoor elements and get the run down).

In NS, there are trails around Annapolis Valley (Gorge, The Links). I haven't done this in years, but riding out to Cape Split was scenic to overlook the bay of fundy was neat.

Truro has Victoria Park and Keepoch out towards Antigonish, which may be the most enduro.

Halifax has Whopper and Fight trail. Whopper has had some construction/development and can be a little hard navigate. McIntosh Run (AKA Fight Trail) is enjoyable and a very unique riding experience. It's barren coastal exposed rock with lots of technical moves up and off the rocks. Lots of good beer options in Halifax and a cool city

Overall I would describe NB/NS riding as pretty slow and technical, and not huge elevations changes.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    The highest concentration of trails in NS/NB is in the Fredericton area. Nothing in the area is really considered 'enduro', or I should say there aren't many super long descents, mainly undulating. MVP, Hadley and if you want something completely different, travel up the hwy to Minto. Great craft beer scene in Fredericton as well (Graystone, Trailway, Grimross, Picaroons, Maybee).

Fundy is worth the trip and Whiterock outside Moncton is really good as was mentioned.

Saint John has a good set of trails in Rockwood Park and in Sussex there is the Bluffs (pop into Outdoor elements and get the run down).

In NS, there are trails around Annapolis Valley (Gorge, The Links). I haven't done this in years, but riding out to Cape Split was scenic to overlook the bay of fundy was neat.

Truro has Victoria Park and Keepoch out towards Antigonish, which may be the most enduro.

Halifax has Whopper and Fight trail. Whopper has had some construction/development and can be a little hard navigate. McIntosh Run (AKA Fight Trail) is enjoyable and a very unique riding experience. It's barren coastal exposed rock with lots of technical moves up and off the rocks. Lots of good beer options in Halifax and a cool city

Overall I would describe NB/NS riding as pretty slow and technical, and not huge elevations changes.
    Thank you for the detailed response. Any reccomendations on campgrounds near Halifax that would be close to riding?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Fundy National Park new trails are awesome. White Rock in Hillsborough NB. Elgin NB trails are a bit hard to find. Down lad Trail Forks NB maps and check them out.
    Thank you. We will be in Fundy for 4 days. We are camping at chignecto which looks like I can ride from camp. Hoping to hit White Rock on our way to Nova Scotia. I will download the maps on trail forks as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddSH View Post
    Thank you for the detailed response. Any reccomendations on campgrounds near Halifax that would be close to riding?
    I just did a quick search and nothing seems super convenient. I have no experience with any either, so I can't put out a recommendation.
    Straight outta Rossland

Muskoka
    Thank you. We will be in Fundy for 4 days. We are camping at chignecto which looks like I can ride from camp. Hoping to hit White Rock on our way to Nova Scotia. I will download the maps on trail forks as well.
    I'm from Ontario and visited Bay of Fundy area twice. In Fundy National Park I like the Point Wolfe to Goose River Beach trail. This is a 8 K one way out and back ride that follows a rugged old cart path through a lot of hilly and forested terrain and ends on a spectacular secluded little beach and cove at the mouth of Goose River. Another ride ( not technical though) with good climbs and fantastic scenery is the Fundy Trail out of St. Martins. Pics are here...
    https://goo.gl/photos/YkBqi3YMczya8hzK9
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    I'm from Ontario and visited Bay of Fundy area twice. In Fundy National Park I like the Point Wolfe to Goose River Beach trail. This is a 8 K one way out and back ride that follows a rugged old cart path through a lot of hilly and forested terrain and ends on a spectacular secluded little beach and cove at the mouth of Goose River. Another ride ( not technical though) with good climbs and fantastic scenery is the Fundy Trail out of St. Martins. Pics are here...
    https://goo.gl/photos/YkBqi3YMczya8hzK9
    Fundy Park cut a new trail into Goose River runs alone the coast now down into the creek. Almost 12 kms long now with some better views and a couple of crazy switch backs.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Rocking on a Rocky
    You will not be disappointed with White Rock it is some of the most technical trail around here. I know White Rock like the back of my hand if you want a tour and don't mind riding with an old man PM me and if I'm not working I'll meet you there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You will not be disappointed with White Rock it is some of the most technical trail around here. I know White Rock like the back of my hand if you want a tour and don't mind riding with an old man PM me and if I'm not working I'll meet you there.
    Thank you. A tour of white rock would be great. I will shoot you a message when we are close. We will be in Fundy NP the first week of July.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A few more spots to consider

Sussex(halfway between Fredericton and Moncton) - The Bluff trail, views and terrain are amazing - try to hook up with guys from outdoors elements for details.

Miramichi - French Fort Cove and associated trails are pretty good too. Incline sports is the place for more info.

For easy family riding - there are trails in Kouchibouguac National park - more family time trails.

Muskoka
    Fundy Park cut a new trail into Goose River runs alone the coast now down into the creek. Almost 12 kms long now with some better views and a couple of crazy switch backs.
    Nice! good to see mtbiking trail development happening in Fundy NP. Last we were there (2014) options seemed limited. Besides the Wolfe Point ride we did Black Horse (or White Horse?) trail which was really fun but only ~5K if I recall correctly and so went around it twice
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Nice! good to see mtbiking trail development happening in Fundy NP. Last we were there (2014) options seemed limited. Besides the Wolfe Point ride we did Black Horse (or White Horse?) trail which was really fun but only ~5K if I recall correctly and so went around it twice
    Some great improvements since 2014 with many new purpose built mountain bike trails added close to the Chignecto campground and they've built a pumptrack as well.
    It's been great to see them embrace the sport over the last few years, definitely a great place to camp and ride now, great mix of easier and intermediate trails along with great downhill runs through Whitetail or Tippen Lot trails.
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

Rocking on a Rocky
    A couple of pics from Goose River.
    t

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    You will be travelling through the Fredericton area, I highly recommend stopping here.

You can join the local facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/MTBFred/
    Post when you'll be coming and there's a good chance you'll get a tour.

Most of our trails are on trailforks - https://www.trailforks.com/region/fredericton/

Minto was already mentioned, it's the closest we have to a "flow" trail network, but it's all hand built on old mine tailings. Lots of short, steep hills and sharp corners. Really nice looking water too.

MVP is going to be your highest concentration of trails, they have everything from beginner trails to full on double blacks mandatory jump trails.

If you are looking for a more back country (with old school hand built trails, lots of roots and rocks) feel, we have Island View, Claudie and Hadley/Penniac trails. None of those trail heads are overly obvious, so a guide (or an exploratory attitude) is recommended.