No riding for 2 weeks- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    91

    No riding for 2 weeks

    I blew 2 shocks today and had no idea how that can be possible. Blew my vanilla after my first run. Then the repair shop at BM happen to have the same model and I took it for $150. 3 runs later I blew the replacement. The guy at the repair shop was kind enough to call Fox for me and was able to pull out an warranty replacement, expect to arrive in 2 weeks. Hopefully everything will goes fine. He told me the reply from Fox was they're sure the shocks was being used beyond its level of performance. But all I did was practicing basic skill on embryo, I can't do anything beyond that anyway. I really have no idea what went wrong. Does anyone had bad experenice with the vanilla shocks? This is my first FS bike, is there something that I've missed in setting up my bike properly? I feel I must have done something wrong with my bike I don't feel good.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndrewTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3,949
    Wow, that sucks. Cudos to Fox for fixing you up.

    Your best option is to re-post in the "Let's talk about shocks" section. List as many specifics as you can; your weight, which bike, which shock, how you set up the shock (spring rate and all that) and what type of riding. Also, who set up the bike? You, LBS?

    That's all VERY important stuff.

    It also might be a case where something is wrong with your frame.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

    ... and cookies. :D

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    how much do you weigh & on what bike did you install...

    ...also, what size pre-load spring was on the shock? and how tight did you crank it down? and how much sag did you set?

    the vanilla is rated for free-ride as well as XC and all-mountain, not really a DH shock but holds up well if not abused. If the rebound was set for a plush ride it could have bottomed out and blew

    Not on point, but do the guys up there still throw the bikes around when they take them up?...some take more of a pounding going up than down

    at least its covered by fox
    Last edited by JM01; 06-06-2005 at 08:51 AM.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    how much do you weigh & on what bike did you install...

    ...also, what size pre-load spring was on the shock? and how tight did you crank it down? and how much sag did you set?

    the vanilla is rated for free-ride as well as XC and all-mountain, not really a DH shock but holds up well if not abused. If the rebound was set for a plush ride it could have bottomed out and blew
    I must admit that I knew little nor have I pay attention to set up my shock. I ride a norco fuse frame. Vanilla with 625/2.?? and Vanilla R with 600/2.??. Already forgot the travel of the spring. Sag was rather in the soft side cos' with my weight (140lbs) and my skill I thought pretty much any shock with a softer setup will do the job.

    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    Not on point, but do the guys up there still throw the bikes around when they take them up?...some take more of a pounding going up than down
    They have installed bike racks on the lift this year, as far as I can see they are pretty gentle with the rides. No complains here.

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    nice bike...if i recall, the fuse came with a vanilla rc, a 5"-6" adjustable travel shock and has a spring coil...so if you set the preload by just hand tightening the spring so it doesn't rattle...maybe a 1/4 turn to keep it snug, and for DH, set the rebound adjustement for about 1/2" of sag, all should be well. your weight is not a factor (but you must bounce around a lot...a heavier build will help)

    the only things that comes to mind are:

    1) that the rebound was set too light causing the shock to bottom out a lot, but this should not have happened unless you're doing 3' drops

    2) that like some DH riders, you "drop your seat" to lower your centre of gravity...if the seat post protruded to above the shock, it may have been hitting the shock on some of the bigger bumps...most bikes have a stop to prevent the post from protruding, so this may not be the cause, and you would see the scars on the shock anyway

    3) the vanilla rc has a lock-out, perhaps it was not released when taking a big hit

    i'll ask around and keep you posted

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    still asking around, seems like you set a pecedent, everyone blows their shock, but two in one day?...someone metioned to check if the shock is being hit on the chair lift or if rough handling by the staff is an issue, but looks like its the guiness book of records for you

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    ask 3 people, you get 5 opinions

    one suggested that he has seen this happen to someone who really cranked down the pre-load...compressed the over-spring as far as possible, basically locking out 4" of travel, causing the shock to blow on the first big hit...never heard it happening twice, though

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    91
    Hey dude, thanks for STILL asking around for me. Still haven't heard from the repair shop yet about the warranty. But I've heard bad things about fox canada though.

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by esmundo
    Hey dude, thanks for STILL asking around for me. Still haven't heard from the repair shop yet about the warranty. But I've heard bad things about fox canada though.
    lots of fun, learning new stuff...meeting new friends along the journey...looks like a few may be up to Kolapore on the long weekend and we may tag up

    thanks for the opportunity to share the ride

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Braids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01
    lots of fun, learning new stuff...meeting new friends along the journey...looks like a few may be up to Kolapore on the long weekend and we may tag up

    thanks for the opportunity to share the ride
    Good luck going up the 400 with Live 8 AND it being a long weekend. I suspect the highway will be packed solid going north from the morning of July 1 until the evening of July 2.

    I would love to head up there but I think I'll be staying off the 400 and probably heading to Durham and maybe Albion on Sunday if my bike is back from Titus by then.

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids
    Good luck going up the 400 with Live 8 AND it being a long weekend. I suspect the highway will be packed solid going north from the morning of July 1 until the evening of July 2.

    I would love to head up there but I think I'll be staying off the 400 and probably heading to Durham and maybe Albion on Sunday if my bike is back from Titus by then.
    no kidding, remember those canada day concerts when it was Molsen Park?

    plan is to take airport road, but if the crowds do the same, i take gore road to 9, simcoe road 50 to 89, then through lyle to simcoe road 10 and on to 26...its actually 15 km shorter than the 400 for me

Similar Threads

  1. Midwest or East Coast Riders...Epic Help?
    By Giventofly in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 01:34 PM
  2. blast from the past, cut/paste from archived MTB DOC posts
    By ashwinearl in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 09:47 AM
  3. Official policy for nightriding at Wakefield
    By Drevil in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 10:50 AM
  4. Girlfriend new to riding and totally scared
    By some_guy282 in forum Women's Lounge
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 08:11 PM
  5. new class of riding
    By Ultra Magnus in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-02-2004, 06:23 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.