Night trails in Ontario?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2004

New question here. Night trails in Ontario?

Any recommendations for great night riding trails in Ontario? I'm looking for a place(s) safe to leave my car for a few hours and not have to worry about break-in's or being towed away. Darker the trail the better!

Kai

Jan 2004

Night rides

Durham is always great for a night ride. Parking seems safe and there are often groups riding there at night. Durham is also as dark as it gets around here.

Jan 2004

Second that.....

.... Durham Forest is VERY dark at night. There are no major subdivisions or anything nearby.
    Also, if you are concerned about parking, another alternative is the bottom of the Seaton Hiking Trail for night rides. You can park in the subdivision or in the strip mall at the bottom of Valley Farm Road.... <5 minute ride to the trails. Pretty dark, but the trails aren't necessarily up to the standards of Durham.
    This is of course in the east end of the city.... if you are from the west, it is a long way to come.
    Ride on!

Bike Junkie

Albion Hills

During the summer I've done night rides at Albion Hills. It's pretty dark inside there and I've never heard of anyone having trouble with their cars. Plus during the summer months it is a camp ground so there are people there.

Good practice for the 24-hr Summer Solstice race in June.

mtbr member

Speaking of riding at night

Back in my youth riding at night was done without lights and with drugs,,,
    Now im a little wiser its the other way around....

My Q, what should I be looking to spend for lighting system.
    And where should the lights be..helmet mounted, handlebars...both?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomik
    Any recommendations for great night riding trails in Ontario? I'm looking for a place(s) safe to leave my car for a few hours and not have to worry about break-in's or being towed away. Darker the trail the better!
    I've heard Coulson's Hill is good for night riding but I've never done it. I'm not sure if they're doing weekly races there again this year but if they are it's probably not safe because the idiots would put logs across intersections often at the bottom of hills or blind corners and not remove them after the race was over. They'd also leave their tape up and I don't know if that would make you crash if you ran into it in the dark. It's just rude and makes a bad impression on other trail users to leave that stuff up.
    It's beside the 400 in case you get hurt and you could park you car in the Works place close by and probably not worry about it getting borken into because people would think you were working or just not see it.

I have lights on my bars and helmet but I think helmet should be good enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Back in my youth riding at night was done without lights and with drugs,,,
    Now im a little wiser its the other way around....

My Q, what should I be looking to spend for lighting system.
    And where should the lights be..helmet mounted, handlebars...both?

Cheers
    Ideally you should have both helmet and bar mounted lights - bar mounted should be a bit wider and pointed a bit closer in front of the bike, and helmet light helps you scan further in front of you, and especially around the bends and switchbacks, so you can see what's there before you would be in range of your bar mounted light, since it only points where the bike is pointed.
    But, since lights are not cheap, for a first set you shoud definitely choose a helmet mount one, for the reason as above. It's just much easier when you can see where you look, not only where your bike is pointing at the time.
    You can get a decent set of Planet Bike lights at MEC in Toronto, I think they're around $140-150. I've had a set for 2 seasons now, rode 2 24hrs of Adrenaline events, worked great, sufficient light, and burn time. Another option could be BLT lights, also have a set (I think X-ray), helmet mounted. I always run the combo of both, it's been great so far. I get out noght riding maybe up to 6-7 times a season, so I have no need to update my system, the batteries are still holding the charge like when they were new.

Arek

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

night ride

coulson hill is very good for night ride. There are plenty of open space between tress that allow you to see far with your lights. I, however, haven't ride there at night. You definitely need a hight quality lights. It is best to invest in a set such as Jet Lights. It is expensive but still much cheaper than all other brands. It is durable too. I had the original analog version since 2000 and it still runs well.

Durham forest look like an ideal place for night ride. You must bring lots of batteries for your lights.
    PS. You need to bring a good flashlight as backup light for yourself and another commuter handlebar mount light as a backup.

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Ganaraska forest is a good night riding spot. I just bought a Headstrong light and they are made locally it is a very good design they have a web site headstronglights.com
    Last edited by icy; 04-05-2005 at 09:16 PM.