Niagara Region - Looking for trail tools.- Mtbr.com
    Terrain Sculptor

Niagara Region - Looking for trail tools.

It's a very long story. Here's the short version. I'm a trail builder and I've been at it a long time. I've recently gone through treatments for cancer and I'm in the recovery phase. I'm in the Niagara Region and all my tools are in very good hands in B.C. I'm going to be here a while and I'm looking for some trail building tools. Most of the tools I'm looking for are antiques. I'm very poor and can't afford antique store prices. Please have a look in your Grandpa's barn or garage and see if there's anything in there that he would like to see put to good use instead of hung on a wall to rust to death. If it's sharp and you're not sure what it is, I probably know what it is and can use it.

In BC, I did a lot of wood work, old school. Timberframing, log cabin, wooden peg type stuff. To that end I'm looking for:

A cross-cut saw. A big one.
    A broad-axe.
    A draw-knife.
    An adze.
    A froe.
    A 1" or 2" hand auger and/or a brace with some big auger bits.

I'm also looking for a Pulaski. I'll buy a new one, I just don't seem to be able to find one around here.

Eventually, I'd like to replace this pile but the Pulaski and the tools listed above are priority.

Niagara Region - Looking for trail tools.-tools.jpg

Here are some examples of the type of building I want to do. I'm looking for clubs who need a hand. I can build bridges to handle horses if need be (I'd just rather not). I'm in Port Colborne now but will probably end up in St. Catharines or Hamilton to better find work once I get done kicking the crap out of this cancer.

Niagara Region - Looking for trail tools.-backyard5.jpg
    Niagara Region - Looking for trail tools.-bear4.jpg
    Niagara Region - Looking for trail tools.-p1010005.jpg
    Niagara Region - Looking for trail tools.-p1010003-3-.jpg
    Niagara Region - Looking for trail tools.-p1010019-4-.jpg
    Niagara Region - Looking for trail tools.-p1010017.jpg
    Niagara Region - Looking for trail tools.-bear5.jpg
    Niagara Region - Looking for trail tools.-cyclone_log_ride2.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    You need to contact these guys.

SHORTHILLS CYCLING CLUB • Index page

or go to Pedal bike shop in Port and talk to those guys. They know all the local riders/builders.

Good luck with the cancer.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you are kicking ass Trail Ninja and great to hear you are getting ready to start building again.

I don't have a line on anything, but I will keep my eyes peeled for you and would certainly donate anything that I find.

Some other information...

The two local clubs that are doing much of the legal building are

Shorthills cycling club. Lots of members on this board, many based out of Port Colborne. I'm sure they will chime in.

SHORTHILLS CYCLING CLUB

The other is the Hamilton Cycling Club. We are currently building in Christe Conservation Area, but I don't think, at this moment, much wood work is being done. However, we (I am an HCC member but not a regular builder) got a Trillium Grant to fill this trailer full of tools and I'm sure you help all around will be greatly appreciated.

Hamilton Cycling Club

Garage Monster and Kaikara are two of the posters who are major builders and can give you more information.
    Straight outta Rossland

Terrain Sculptor
    I'm working with Wade from Short Hills locally now. I have legal access to "The Hood" and get out when I can. (Fixed up some of the bulldozer mess on Rocky Horror.) I'm fine with digging. I tire easily but I'm sure that will pass over time.

I've been following the "Pinecones..." thread and if I end up in Hamilton, you guys will definitely hear from me. If I can make it up for a trail day, I will.
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    I'm working with Wade from Short Hills locally now. I have legal access to "The Hood" and get out when I can. (Fixed up some of the bulldozer mess on Rocky Horror.) I'm fine with digging. I tire easily but I'm sure that will pass over time.

I've been following the "Pinecones..." thread and if I end up in Hamilton, you guys will definitely hear from me. If I can make it up for a trail day, I will.

Awesomesauce....

Sounds like you are well integrated into local scene if you are working with Wade, knows a thing or two about tools as well!
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    PM sent. I'm sure we can get you access to some of the tools you need through the Club.

sock puppet
    hey Trail Ninja, good to have you in Ontario for a while... hope you get the stuff you need... you've got golden hands...

Terrain Sculptor
    Thanks oskolo. It's good to be here. I've been away for 30 years and the mountains and forests on Vancouver Island were starting to get boring.

Terrain Sculptor
    The Pulaski tool looks like it's going to be a bit of a problem. This is what it looks like. It should cost $25 to $30 new, with a hickory or fiberglass handle. Lee Valley is the only local shop I could find where I could walk in and hand them cash but they want $80 for their version. If anyone knows of a shop that sells them for a reasonable price...
    Maybe a Mom and Pop hardware or a safety supply that sells firefighting equipment.

Name:  image_7752.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  11.2 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Princess Auto shows Pulaskis for 30 dollars,an option maybe?

humber river advocate
    The Pulaski tool looks like it's going to be a bit of a problem. This is what it looks like. It should cost $25 to $30 new, with a hickory or fiberglass handle. Lee Valley is the only local shop I could find where I could walk in and hand them cash but they want $80 for their version. If anyone knows of a shop that sells them for a reasonable price...
    Maybe a Mom and Pop hardware or a safety supply that sells firefighting equipment.

homehardware (there everywhere)

Home Hardware - 3-3/4lbs 36" Fiberglass Pulaski Axe

princes auto is not the best, would avoid...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

sock puppet

can you get me the phone number of

Lee Valley store please? ASAP?

Workin for the weekend!
    Pulaski is just fun to say. "Pulaski" "Hey Pulaski, get me another beer!"

I'm gonna put a Pulaski on my Christmas list.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

Hey Steve,

Not sure why you didn't post this on the SHCC forum.
    You were a Club member last year were you not?

We still have some work to do in Short Hill Provincial Park this fall and could use some help. Trail Build Day is in the planning stages but we are looking to do work in the next week or so.

The SHCC along with the HCC received Ontario Trillium Foundation Grants this year to purchase Trail Building Tools and Equipment. We are currently in the middle of spending the Government's money.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Check your local Restore place. They have a spot for all the tools people give away.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I went for the lee valley pulaski myself. They stand behind their tools and they will last. The only other place I have seen that had them in stock was Princess Auto but they don't always have them. The last time I was there the one in Hamilton had them (a week ago). They were about 30 dollars.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Lee Valley store please? ASAP?
    Burlington - Lee Valley Tools

(905) 319-9110

Terrain Sculptor
    Thanks everyone. I should have though to check with Home Hardware in the first place. Those people keep amazing me with the things I find there. I once bought a bark spud and a gold pan in the same day. The bark spud was an ordering mistake on their part. They thought they were selling sidewalk ice chippers. (Like they were going to sell a lot of those in Qualicum Beach, B.C.)

I'll see if my local Home Hardware will order in a Pulaski for me. They have them listed for $47.99 with a fiberglass handle. That's a reasonable price considering my cost to get to Hamilton to pick one up from Princess Auto.

Terrain Sculptor
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL View Post
    Hey Steve,

Not sure why you didn't post this on the SHCC forum.
    You were a Club member last year were you not?

We still have some work to do in Short Hill Provincial Park this fall and could use some help. Trail Build Day is in the planning stages but we are looking to do work in the next week or so.

The SHCC along with the HCC received Ontario Trillium Foundation Grants this year to purchase Trail Building Tools and Equipment. We are currently in the middle of spending the Government's money.
    Heard about the grant. Well done!

Yes, I was a member last year. I got a little sidetracked (diagnosed at xmas time last year) and I let my membership lapse. I have limited access to the SHCC forums but asking there was on my list of things to do. I'm working on getting my membership up to date. I need it in order to work in the park and should have it for the Hood too.

Wade told me about the project in Short Hills and I'd love to get in on it. Sounds like fun and good exercise. I haven't seen plans yet but it sounds like a bit of a challenge too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks everyone. I should have though to check with Home Hardware in the first place. Those people keep amazing me with the things I find there. I once bought a bark spud and a gold pan in the same day. The bark spud was an ordering mistake on their part. They thought they were selling sidewalk ice chippers. (Like they were going to sell a lot of those in Qualicum Beach, B.C.)

I'll see if my local Home Hardware will order in a Pulaski for me. They have them listed for $47.99 with a fiberglass handle. That's a reasonable price considering my cost to get to Hamilton to pick one up from Princess Auto.
    Let me know if you don't find it. One of the HCC guys will be coming done to see wade of the SHCC in the next week or so (need to pickup the reminder of our tools for the tool trailer). We could pick you one up from Princess Auto and drop it off with him if you still need one. PM me here and I can get you my email info.

humber river advocate

the quality is pretty good also. lee valley is a bit over priced and the wood handles break. the princes auto ones break at the pick. never had a problem with the home hardware one. the most i've done is bend the pick on a large rock (just bent it back). always check out whats on sale at home hardware, you never know what you will find.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Evil Jr.
    We're not quite in need of any features at this point but in the next 12 months, we should be getting to an area where some good skinnies and the like might be appropriate and we could definitely use someone with that sort of experience!

You'd also be welcome to join us any other time as well for more "ordinary" digging.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Terrain Sculptor
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    We're not quite in need of any features at this point but in the next 12 months, we should be getting to an area where some good skinnies and the like might be appropriate and we could definitely use someone with that sort of experience!

You'd also be welcome to join us any other time as well for more "ordinary" digging.
    I'm OK with landowner-friendly building too.
    Niagara Region - Looking for trail tools.-after3.jpg

Name:  blender8.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  74.6 KB

Niagara Region - Looking for trail tools.-deadwood1-3-.jpg

Niagara Region - Looking for trail tools.-evermore1.jpg

Oops. Forgot to move the pile of logs off the trail. Good thing there's room for the horses to get around.
    Niagara Region - Looking for trail tools.-feb8073.jpg

Terrain Sculptor
    I'm now the proud owner of a brand new Pulaski with a bright red handle! Dirt is gonna fly!

Name:  76302321.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  15.3 KB

I'd like to thank someone who wishes to remain nameless.

Thanks

Oh yeah, I was at St. Joseph's in Hamilton on Friday and my doctors are all in agreement that I'm cancer free.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Oh yeah, I was at St. Joseph's in Hamilton on Friday and my doctors are all in agreement that I'm cancer free.
    Awesome!!!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Awesome!!!
    +1! That's great news!

Nice Pulaski too!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Workin for the weekend!

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Congrats on your success, this battle is the toughest. Be well!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm now the proud owner of a brand new Pulaski with a bright red handle! Dirt is gonna fly!

The red ones are the best.

Being cancer free though, better!!

sock puppet
    it will look great on you...

great news from your doctors as well...

Members who have read this thread: 0