Newb - Applying chain lube- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Newb - Applying chain lube

I recently read Zinn and last week gave my bike a tune-up and lube. After cleaning the bike I used some bio-cycle degreaser then applied a lube (Finish Line Krytech Wax). After applying the lube in small amounts to each roller, I pedaled and held a rag gently to wipe off excess (tell me if any of this is wrong).

Well, I went for my 1st ride yesterday, about 10K on a bike path, some water and mud, which of course transferred to my clean bike. The chain was very quite and I had no problems shifting. When I got home I lightly hosed and cleaned the bike. I noticed the chain didn't seem as smooth as it did on the trail (because of hosing the bike???) so I re-lubed and again wiped down lightly. I then tried moving the train through the gears and it slowly got noisier and noisier, was skipping and generally sucked.

So, what did I do wrong? Should I have let the lube dry 1st? Should I not use a rag right after? Does this lube stink (seems to if you read the reviews on this site)?

I'd appreciate if you share your after-ride and pre-ride thoughts when it comes to using a lube with the chain and other parts...thanks.

Jan 2004

chain lube

Hey there,

For wet/muddy conditions etc, I use Pedros SYN LUBE ATB. Dry conditions I use Original White Lightning wax lube. Others will tell you what works best for them, but those are my choices.

Below is a good site in general for repair/tech help. But that link is for washing up your bike mainly, and post ride work.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/BCB4.shtml

Hope some of that helps you.

Space for rent...

Steve F

A couple of other things you may consider.

Try using a chain cleaner instead of just water. Depending on how dirty your chain is, water alone wiill not get it clean. Particularly beteween the links.

I also prefer SRAM chain, as you can remove it from the bike, and clean the rest of the drivetrain easier. The shimano chain is not really set up for this.

After I have cleaned the chain I rinse it off with WD40 to get all of the water out of the rollers. Then give it a wipe down, and a large dose of your favourite lube.

Like crank mentioned, White Lightening does a pretty good job. I am now trying "Rock n' Roll" lube. I've have only had a couple of sloppy rides on it, but first impressions are positive.

Good luck.
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

chain lube

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I still have a few specific questions though:

1) Should I use a chain de-greaser with every wash? Or can I just lightly wipe down as I'm cleaning the rest of the bike (assuming the chain is not that dirty)?
    2) Should I re-lube every time I give the bike/chain any cleaning?
    3) What should I do immediately after applying the lube to the chain? Should I run through all the gears? Should I hold a towel lightly to the chain crank a few times to take off excess?

That's it, thanks.

Space for rent...

Some answers...

1) Should I use a chain de-greaser with every wash? NO

Or can I just lightly wipe down as I'm cleaning the rest of the bike (assuming the chain is not that dirty)? YES. UNLESS IT IS VERY DIRTY. IF THE LUBE IS STILL IN PLACE, I WOULDN'T AUTOMATICALLY RE-LUBE EVER TIME.

2) Should I re-lube every time I give the bike/chain any cleaning? YES IF YOU WIPE CLEAN AND IT HAS BEEN A WHILE SINCE THE LAST LUBE.

3) What should I do immediately after applying the lube to the chain? Should I run through all the gears? Should I hold a towel lightly to the chain crank a few times to take off excess? YES TO BOTH. THE ONLY TIME I CHANGE FROM THIS, IS YOU ARE GOING INTO A REAL SLOPPY EXTENDED RIDE. IF YOU KNOW IT IS GOING TO BE BAD, YOU MAY WANT THE "GREASE" YOUR CHAIN, IN AN ATTEMPT TO KEEP SOME LUBE IN PLACE BY THE END OF THE RIDE.

Something you should also consider is changing your chain frequently. Given the cost of a new drivetrain, I think changing the chain is a good insurance policy. I usually install a new chain every season, and again in the middle of the summer. At $30 a pop, I figure it saves me in the long run.
    It's only pain......