New tire recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New tire recommendations

Time for new tires..

Am on my third set of 26 in Nobby Nics. Why NN's? Cause they came with my bike in the first place, and I don't know enough about other tires to stray from these. They seem pretty decent, but but dive a bit in sand and slide on slippery rocks easily.

Looking on line at others, must say I appreciate the price of NN's compared to some of the names mentioned around here (Racing Rons eg).

Looking for recommendations, I ride mainly in Albion, but as an example of the varied places I travel to, here's a list of placed I've been son far this year - Kolapore, Dufferin, Palgrave, Kelso, Puslinch, Currie Tract / Hilton, Hydrocut, and Hardwood.

Any input (brands, tires, tire combo's, local stores with fair prices etc) are greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Continental Trail King 2.2 in either the Race Sport or Protection version, depending on your priorities of weight vs. cut & puncture resistance. They're a large volume tire so it floats nicely on soft surfaces and you can run fairly low pressures to make them stick well on rocks & other slippery surfaces (the Black Chili rubber compound sticks pretty well in the first place). I find they give good traction on pretty much everything and the rolling resistance is pretty darn good considering how big they are and how much grip they have. They also wear pretty well, I have about 1000km on my set and I've just begun to round over the braking edges on the knobs.

mtbr member
    I am running rocket Ron's on my 29er right now, but rode the kings mentioned by aerious, on my brother's bike and really like them. I will get them when I need tires again. I also like the crossmarks if you ride primarily hardpack. The Ron's are great except in the wet. They don't seen to grip all that great. Otherwise, probably a good choice for southern Ontario .
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, well grab some Kings based on your words, not to mention at that price I'd be crazy not to try them, and will look into crossmarks as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just make sure you get the Black Chili rubber with Continental tires. AFAIK, only the Race Sport and Protection versions of their tires have that rubber (not all UST versions will have it), so if the price seems too good to be true, check the fine print to make sure you're getting the good stuff. Non Black Chili Contis are fine as long as it's dry, but once it gets wet you might as well be riding on ice.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    No doubt the Continentals offer steady grip, and they seem similar to the WTB Bronsons which have been the grippiest all-round tire I've ever tried.

But just FYI, there's a price to be paid. Don't know what variant of the NN you have, but the midweight version in 26x2.25 is ~580g. The Continentals in 26x2.2 are showing at ~1000g, per tire. (Bronsons are similarly heavy.)

You could be adding roughly 2+ pounds to your bike's weight.

While I wouldn't be concerned with a few hundred grams either way, the amount above is quite a bit. You'll likely notice it, especially if you've had the NNs for a while.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    But just FYI, there's a price to be paid. Don't know what variant of the NN you have, but the midweight version in 26x2.25 is ~580g. The Continentals in 26x2.2 are showing at ~1000g, per tire. (Bronsons are similarly heavy.)
    That doesn't look right. Trail Kings in 2.2 are showing at 730g for the Protection and 640g for the RaceSport version.
    Continental Bicycle -Trail King

1000g is for the cheapo versions and the big 2.4" ones.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Ah, you're right - I was looking at the 2.4 and it kinda surprised me. Depending on the NN version he ran, weight gain would be more like 1/2 a pound.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_o View Post
    Time for new tires..

Am on my third set of 26 in Nobby Nics. Why NN's? Cause they came with my bike in the first place, and I don't know enough about other tires to stray from these. They seem pretty decent, but but dive a bit in sand and slide on slippery rocks easily.

Looking on line at others, must say I appreciate the price of NN's compared to some of the names mentioned around here (Racing Rons eg).

Looking for recommendations, I ride mainly in Albion, but as an example of the varied places I travel to, here's a list of placed I've been son far this year - Kolapore, Dufferin, Palgrave, Kelso, Puslinch, Currie Tract / Hilton, Hydrocut, and Hardwood.

Any input (brands, tires, tire combo's, local stores with fair prices etc) are greatly appreciated.
    Continental X-King Racesport... Black Chilli compound, not to heavy. Best all around tire i have ever ridden... I even successfully raced on them...

I am talking about 29er version - but i am sure they come in 26"...
    Signature

Lemmy Rules!
    It's funny...I have trail kings (black chili) on one Of my bikes. They are great when it is damp out but I don't love them on dry hardpack trails. I prefer racing Ralph's
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    On dry hardpack the Race King and other such fast XC tires are great, on the trails I usually ride they get a bit too sketchy for my comfort if I ride at my usual speed. To me it's a trade-off, tires that do well on soft loose dirt or rough blown out trails aren't great on hardpack and vice-versa.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Maxxis Ikons

I love how predictable the tire is as you lean it. Rode it during PDE last year during the torrential rainfall, was fairly stable there as well.

Schwalbe Rocket Rons / Racing Ralphs.

Rons were awesome, I ride Ralphs now just to try them out. I don't mind them much, but I will probably swap back to Rons on both the bikes as I wear the Ikons and Ralphs down.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    On dry hardpack the Race King and other such fast XC tires are great, on the trails I usually ride they get a bit too sketchy for my comfort if I ride at my usual speed. To me it's a trade-off, tires that do well on soft loose dirt or rough blown out trails aren't great on hardpack and vice-versa.
    I think this ^^ is the key takeaway. No perfect tire for all conditions, and to one of the OP's questions, I'm not sure there is a perfect solution for slippery rocks or roots.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Maxxis Ikons

I love how predictable the tire is as you lean it. Rode it during PDE last year during the torrential rainfall, was fairly stable there as well.
    heck, at your speed, you may consider any semi-slick even for the rain...
    Signature

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    heck, at your speed, you may consider any semi-slick even for the rain...
    Name:  imagesEB26OFLG.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  6.2 KB