New Ontario Legislation passed June 2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New Ontario Legislation passed June 2

Pedestrian and Cyclist Safety

• Requiring drivers to yield the whole roadway to pedestrians at school crossings and pedestrian crossovers, instead of yielding only half of the roadway
    • Allowing for new pedestrian crossing devices on low-speed and low-volume roads as requested by municipalities
    • Allowing cyclists to use the paved shoulders on unrestricted provincial highways instead of riding in main lanes
    • Allowing municipalities to create contraflow bicycle lanes to provide more direct routes and connectivity. A contraflow bicycle lane flows in the opposite direction of the surrounding lanes on what would otherwise be a one-way street
    • Increasing the fine range for convictions of 'dooring' of cyclists from $60 to $500, to $300 to $1,000 and raising the demerit points from two to three
    • Requiring all drivers to maintain a distance of at least one metre when passing cyclists, where possible
    • Increasing the maximum fine for not using required bicycle lights and other reflectors/reflective material from $20 to a set fine amount that falls in the range of $60 to $500
    • Permitting the use of flashing red lights as a safety feature on bicycles
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    Pedestrian and Cyclist Safety

• Requiring drivers to yield the whole roadway to pedestrians at school crossings and pedestrian crossovers, instead of yielding only half of the roadway
    • Allowing for new pedestrian crossing devices on low-speed and low-volume roads as requested by municipalities
    • Allowing cyclists to use the paved shoulders on unrestricted provincial highways instead of riding in main lanes
    • Allowing municipalities to create contraflow bicycle lanes to provide more direct routes and connectivity. A contraflow bicycle lane flows in the opposite direction of the surrounding lanes on what would otherwise be a one-way street
    • Increasing the fine range for convictions of 'dooring' of cyclists from $60 to $500, to $300 to $1,000 and raising the demerit points from two to three
    • Requiring all drivers to maintain a distance of at least one metre when passing cyclists, where possible
    • Increasing the maximum fine for not using required bicycle lights and other reflectors/reflective material from $20 to a set fine amount that falls in the range of $60 to $500
    • Permitting the use of flashing red lights as a safety feature on bicycles
    Wow. Some of these things have been a long time coming, haven't they. In the short time that this particular bit of legislation has been on my radar, driverless cars have come out of nowhere. I'd long been thinking that driverless cars could represent a big setback for transit use, since the time in the car goes from mostly wasted to mostly useful just like that. However, just now, it's reassuring to think that this legislation, which seems so long overdue, will in fact become quite irrelevant in far less time (about one decade) than it took to cough it up in the first place (about four decades, or more).

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I feel so much safer on the roads.

mtbr member
    "...where possible?"
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Requiring drivers to yield the whole roadway to pedestrians at school crossings and pedestrian crossovers, instead of yielding only half of the roadway

So I read this as if there is a pedestrian anywhere on the road you can't proceed. This is going to make a right hand turn in the city basically impossible.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Requiring drivers to yield the whole roadway to pedestrians at school crossings and pedestrian crossovers, instead of yielding only half of the roadway

So I read this as if there is a pedestrian anywhere on the road you can't proceed. This is going to make a right hand turn in the city basically impossible.
    I don't read this new rule as applying to intersections, so you should still be able to make right turns if as long as you're not running over pedestrians.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hopefully the $60-$500 fine for lights and reflectors on bikes will be applied with discretion (i.e. only to dumbasses riding at night with no lights or reflectors, not to random cyclists riding in broad daylight).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surestick Malone View Post
    Hopefully the $60-$500 fine for lights and reflectors on bikes will be applied with discretion (i.e. only to dumbasses riding at night with no lights or reflectors, not to random cyclists riding in broad daylight).
    Agreed! And I have been using flashing red lights on my bike for several years now. I had no idea it was not allowed!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Agreed! And I have been using flashing red lights on my bike for several years now. I had no idea it was not allowed!
    I have a bit of a problem with doubling down like that. I don't think it's entirely logical to have a specific line in the act making illegal a specific technology that is optimized for cyclists, for so many years, only to reverse course by precisely 180 degrees, announce that said technology is suddenly legal and on top of that announce punitive fines for not using said technology. My arithmetic shows that the maximum fine for dooring has increased by a factor of 2, while the maximum fine for a lighting infraction has increased by a factor of 25. That is punitive. Rather than punitive, shouldn't there instead be some kind of, uh, apology, for being so re tard ed about the lighting bit? The last time I checked, the unit cost of energy in small batteries was about three orders of magnitude higher than the cost in fossil fuels which power yer typical 400 watt halogen highbeams. Denying cyclists the right to use that comparatively expensive energy wisely was just, plain, re tard ed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    I don't read this new rule as applying to intersections, so you should still be able to make right turns if as long as you're not running over pedestrians.
    Looks like you are correct:
    Pedestrian crossovers (also commonly called crosswalks) are designated areas that allow pedestrians to safely cross roads where there are no traffic lights.
    Driver's Handbook

Old rule was:
    Drivers including cyclists must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians in the crossover. Once people have cleared your side of the road, and no other pedestrians are approaching, you may proceed with caution when it is safe.

mtbr member
    I remember reading the old law about lights and it contains something along the line of "as required" or "as necessary", the way it reads definitely makes it seem that you don't even need to think about lights during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by JesusJuice View Post
    I remember reading the old law about lights and it contains something along the line of "as required" or "as necessary", the way it reads definitely makes it seem that you don't even need to think about lights during the day.
    So are you suggesting 3000 lumen lights during the day are the way to go?
    Last edited by kwarwick; 06-06-2015 at 06:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    So are you suggesting 3000 lumen lights during the day are the way to go?
    Just remember: if something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    2 days later I still don't feel any safer.

mtbr member
    The lights thing is new to me. I have no reflectors on my bikes, but at night I ride with two red blinkys on the back and two white ones on the front. I have them on my helmet and on my bike. They are bright. My pack has serious reflector strips. I can be seen easily, but under these new rules I would get fined? I simply find that the rear stays on the bike do not offer a good surface for reflective strip. I think common sense has to rule the day. Reflectors are useless if the are dirty or can break off depending on the style. I am pretty much done with road riding on open roads. I am lucky to live close by enough Multi Use Paths that I can string together up to an 80 kM loop with minimum road. It just means I have to deal with some people and go a bit slower.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    • Requiring all drivers to maintain a distance of at least one metre when passing cyclists, where possible.

this is typical of law makers who are either "do gooders" or "politically motivated" to make dumb laws that cannot be enforced. How does one measure the distance from your fender to a cyclest and who can explain "where possible". Increase the fine for dooring a cyclist, but has anyone ever heard a cop writing a ticket to a motorist for dooring a cyclist. Riding on the paved shoulder on a highway is legal now, does anyone ride on the highway when you have the option to ride on the shoulder? I think the last one is important as I believe it is illegal to have a flashing red light on non emergency vehicles, so to allow a cyclist to put a flashing red light on the back of the bike or on the back pack is positive.

I am still amazed at the law about reflective or tinted windows where the law says "whereby the surface of the windshield or any side window to the left or right of the driver cannot be coated with any colour spray or other colour coating in such a manner as to obstruct the driver’s view of the roadway, or obscure the view from outside to the interior of the motor vehicle.” When I come up to an intersection where a car stops for a stop sign and I have the right of way I would like to see the driver to make sure he sees me. In other provinces it is either illegal to tint the drivers and passenger window, or it is restricted by how much you can block out the sun and is measured by a device.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    this is typical of law makers who are either "do gooders" or "politically motivated" to make dumb laws that cannot be enforced. How does one measure the distance from your fender to a cyclest and who can explain "where possible"
    I don't think the quote in the first post was from the actual legislation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusJuice View Post
    I don't think the quote in the first post was from the actual legislation.
    I don't know but this is on the Ontario MOT website. (It is the law in Nevada, California and some other states but it doesn't make a lot of sense as a cyclist can ride close to a car and then who gets the ticket.)

Ontario Passes Legislation to Improve Road Safety

New Rules Will Help Reduce Collisions, Injuries and Fatalities

June 2, 2015 12:30 P.M.

Ministry of Transportation

Today, Ontario passed the Making Ontario's Roads Safer Act to help ensure that the province's roads are among the safest in North America.

In order to reduce collisions, injuries and fatalities on Ontario's roads, the new act will:
    •Increase fines for distracted driving from the current range of $60 to $500 to a range of $300 to $1,000, assigning three demerit points upon conviction, and escalating sanctions on convictions for novice drivers
    •Apply current alcohol-impaired sanctions to drivers who are drug impaired
    •Introduce additional measures to address repeat offenders of alcohol impaired driving
    •Require drivers to wait until pedestrians have completely crossed the road before proceeding at school crossings and pedestrian crossovers
    •Increase fines and demerits for drivers who 'door' cyclists, and require all drivers to maintain a minimum distance of one-metre when passing cyclists where possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The fine for cycling with no lights on a bicycle now exceeds the set fine for a motor vehicle driving without headlights or with one headlight out - $85. Ridiculous

mtbr member
    I like the one that reads "apply current alcohol-impaired sanctions to drivers who are drug impaired". After watching a program on Colorado's new MJ laws that allow a driver to fill up with gas and purchase a $10.00 doobie and resume his/her journey. I will on the lookout for these guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWxgfTMLtc0

warning this video will certainly be offensive to most people over 18.

mtbr member
    I think one headlight out on a car isn't an excessive hazard. Although I say this as the owner of a car that burns through headlight bulbs and gas in roughly equal proportion.

Now that said, I probably see at least two cars with no lights at all for every bike I see un-lit at night.

It doesn't improve my mood that I've had pedestrians, other cyclists, and yes, motorists curse me out for "too bright" headlights on my bike that IMO, were not bright at all, and aimed rather low.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    So...2 cyclists killed in Toronto in 3 days. I have absolutely no faith that the current situation will change with the new laws. And in fact if involving a cyclist vehicular Homicide will pretty much be legal in Ontario.

And please don't try to sell the bike lane dogma that would have you believe that a white line would save people.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    So...2 cyclists killed in Toronto in 3 days. I have absolutely no faith that the current situation will change with the new laws. And in fact if involving a cyclist vehicular Homicide will pretty much be legal in Ontario.

And please don't try to sell the bike lane dogma that would have you believe that a white line would save people.
    Looks like at least one will result in criminal charges:

Keswick man charged in fatal Yorkville hit and run | Toronto Star

mtbr member
    second death

Driver, 23, arrested after cyclist killed in North York hit-and-run | Toronto Star

23 year old driver was driving when license is disqualified.
    One happened at 11:20 p.m. and the second happened 12:22 am.

mtbr member
    New highway traffic act rules come into effect tomorrow Sept. 1. I am going to have to calibrate my commuting video camera to show 1 metre and then I can hopefully press charges with the video evidence.

Newsroom : New Rules of the Road Effective September 1, 2015
    Last edited by temporoad; 09-01-2015 at 05:55 AM.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

trail gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    ...Increase the fine for dooring a cyclist, but has anyone ever heard a cop writing a ticket to a motorist for dooring a cyclist....
    Yes... if the cyclist ends up hospitalized or dead:

Charge laid in Ottawa cyclist death - Ottawa - CBC News