New-ish "Neilson Est" trail at Vallée Bras-du-Nord- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New-ish "Neilson Est" trail at Vallée Bras-du-Nord

Rode it a few time, this trail is a blast. The climb at the start is totally worth it.

Here's a POV from YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia7B3tWVSso.

mtbr member
    Looks nice and long! Is the trail posted on TrailForks yet?

How's the climb? Is it a trail as well or some gravel road?

With drier weather hitting the East Coast for much of August I'm thinking of getting a little road trip organised to finally ride the region.
    www.ottawavelo.com - MTB & Gravel lifestyle in Eastern Ontario

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fritZman View Post
    Looks nice and long! Is the trail posted on TrailForks yet?

How's the climb? Is it a trail as well or some gravel road?

With drier weather hitting the East Coast for much of August I'm thinking of getting a little road trip organised to finally ride the region.
    The climb at the beginning is hard: ~400m for 2.5km on gravel. Then it's ondulating for another ~2km on a doubletrack.

And yes it's on Trailforks: https://www.trailforks.com/trails/neilson-est/!

The "Full Neilson" loop is quite unique, starts with the Neilson Est, the climb to the Neilson Nord and finish with the Neilson Sud. After that, you can enjoy any other trails in Shannahan. These 3 trails alone are worth a trip, but there's lots of good ridding around QC City, you can easily spend a week without riding the same spot!

trail gnome
    We rode it as part of the Quebec Singletrack Experience (QSE) stage race earlier this month, although I think we went in the back way, instead of via the Côte à Ti-Oui, which I think is the standard way to reach it if you are starting from the visitors centre.

I did the Côte à Ti-Oui in a raid several years ago. Steep sandy road with round gravel rolling under your wheels and the sun beating down on you. Not pleasant, but if you do it, then you can chain the Neilson Est to the other Neilsons and the other trails lower in the valley for a truly epic ride.

Once you get onto the Neilson Est singletrack, if I remember correctly, it undulates and climbs for a bit, before descending very rapidly to the road below. The QSE did their timed descent on this segment. They claimed an average descent of over 14% for just that segment. Don't know if that is accurate or not, but it was steep. You pick up speed fast. I was constantly on the brakes. More speed than I am comfortable with.

There are optional jump lines. At least one involved a gap. An optional log ride with a big (6+ feet?) drop at the end over a stump to clear. Big berms. A very steep bridge near the end that is committing, but it has a long run out and is safe so long as the conditions are good and you don't panic.

Once you reach the bottom of Neilson Est, you need to climb a little to reach the start of Neilson Nord & Sud. Those are my favorite. Big granite rock, bridges, technical features, waterfalls, beautiful views. A work of art.

In the QSE, we followed this up with Petite/Grand Ours, Chute a Gilles, Aurore, Boreal (another favorite of mine), Beurre d'Erable, and some other trails I forget to link it all together. It was a good combination. Over 40k of trails; most of it singletrack.

Bring lots of water and snacks.

If you are going to ride the region, add the trails in town (St. Raymond), Sentiers du Moulin, Ste. Anne des Beaupré, Lac Delage, and Mont-Sainte-Anne to your list.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    can you post google map pin here?
    I want to know exact location.

trail gnome
    Here's the trailforks map from that day:

https://www.trailforks.com/event/1449/

And here are the trails for that region:

https://www.trailforks.com/region/saintraymond/map/

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    thanks for the link on trail fork