new feature at blue- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 85 of 85
  1. #1
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391

    new feature at blue

    turning it up a few notches... the off chamber lip is freaky and will take some getting used to. right now i'm content to see how people take it.



    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,831
    *facepalm* painted off camber wood work to mandatory air???

    Lawsuit dropping in 3...2...1...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dhpunk~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    118
    theres progression theyve been missing.....
    now if they could reduce the number of trails and focus on length of run (East Coast race length)....i would be interested in driving 10 minutes, imho

    good too see!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,831


    If you are going to build something off camber at least give the rider a fighting chance if it's wet.

    Not the greatest picture, but this dirt topped off camber feature at least provides traction in all conditions.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    682
    ^^ shirk, only problem is we'd have to fill it with escarpment clay, so if it got wet we'd be screwed anyways!

    what trail is this on anyways?
    phil shep

    COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,831
    The escarpment clay would be scary...scary...scary. I remember back when Swatty first stared van shuttles on Blue and you could buy single lap tickets, we bought a single lap got to the top and it started pouring rain. The clay was a skating rink to get back down.

    The trail in the picture is 5th Horseman. A number of years ago guys started doing dirt topped features, and they are holding up way better than many all wood structures. The huge bonus is still getting traction in the wet. Even the roughest of hand split cedar can be sketchy when it's off camber and wet.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    682
    yeah that feature looks amazing, and looks like it would stand the test of time.
    phil shep

    COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

  8. #8
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Maybe it's that textured paint? Years off dropping of wet picnic table has taught me not to drop off wet picnic tables.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    226
    [QUOTE=singlesprocket;8374630]turning it up a few notches... the off chamber lip is freaky and will take some getting used to. right now i'm content to see how people take it.



    Not to cause any trouble in here, but that structure is hardly off camber. It is a banked structure. If it were off camber the slope of the structure would face the opposite way, toward the outside of a curve. Off camber turns are used all the time to slow you when cornering.

  10. #10
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    traction seemed ok on it (it was bone dry), though i wouldn't ride it while wet or when it gets loaded up with clay. textured paint won't help when the clay gets on it. some steel mesh would be better. i watched a few people hit it and they tended to be more upright like riding an off camber. i agree with shirk on this one. building it out of dirt/rocks would be better (you just can't use the clay as the surface) then you can also tweak it when the line forms.

    another view

    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: raganwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    913
    I'm looking forward to trying this jump on the hard tail. Haole is a great course for the faint of suspension. Even though it's a downie, I admit I'm not sure how I feel about sucking up the landing, mind you...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,831
    Correct off camber was the wrong description, should have said banked.

    Either way I am really surprised that a risk averse place like Blue decided to build that feature. They could have done 100 different things that would be equal or more fun yet also safer and easier to ride in a wider range of weather.

  13. #13
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Either way I am really surprised that a risk averse place like Blue decided to build that feature. They could have done 100 different things that would be equal or more fun yet also safer and easier to ride in a wider range of weather.
    But would it have had as much room for the North Face ads?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: raganwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I am really surprised that a risk averse place like Blue decided to build that feature. They could have done 100 different things that would be equal or more fun yet also safer and easier to ride in a wider range of weather.
    How is this less safe than the metre-high drop to rocky flat that filters Showcase and Shotglass? Or the huck to rock garden that filters Waterfall? or the flat to down wood tranny where Shotglass splits off from Showcase?

    This looks more intimidating, but I am not sure it is less safe than existing features, they only thing that catches my eye is its presence on an advanced rather than black diamond run. But then again, it looks (from the picture) like it’s completely natural: If you let the bike run, you will be fine.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    How is this less safe than the metre-high drop to rocky flat that filters Showcase and Shotglass? Or the huck to rock garden that filters Waterfall? or the flat to down wood tranny where Shotglass splits off from Showcase?
    Maybe I'm wrong, but my recollection is that all of those are rollable.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: raganwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by jduffett View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but my recollection is that all of those are rollable.
    The huck at the beginning of waterfall is off a wooden ramp. It might technically be rollable, but it’s probably safer to huck it than to risk an endo into the rocks. Same with the filter at the top of Showcase/Shotglass by my recollection. I actually rolled down the LHS through roots just to try it, and I pissed myself compared to launching. That being said, if you have a chopper-style DH rig with forks that recede into the distance, you might find it easier to roll than I do

    In any event, this has a ride-around just like the other trannys on Haole, so I suspect their perspective is that it’s an option, and just as you could roll some of the other features, you could ride around this feature.

    But seriously, it looks safer to me to huck this thing than to either roll or huck the filters I mentioned. But if this is all about lawyers... They can always build a steep downramp such that the only way to roll off the end is to come to a stop, turn the bike sideways, and drop in on it like a half pipe. That would be technically more demanding than hucking off the end, but they could always claim that people launching into space were “doing it wrong” and had the option of rolling it.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,655
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    That being said, if you have a chopper-style DH rig with forks that recede into the distance, you might find it easier to roll than I do
    Dude, I used to roll the highway drop.



    I'm only half joking.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,831
    I have not rode Blue in many years so I can't compare it to other features. I've heard on here and other places many times that Blue had become very risk adverse and removed many of it's jumps. When seeing that particular feature I think they could have used other techniques that would end up being equally fun with less risk.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,434
    Looks like the banked drop at Horseshoe, except that one is unpainted and has a traction strip laid down the middle. You can see the ramp at about 25 seconds into the video. I still doubt it's ridable in the rain, and in fact the time I was there when it was raining they had the run closed off for safety reasons.

    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/27930553?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;a utoplay=0" width="453" height="300" frameborder="0"></iframe>
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 08-26-2011 at 03:23 PM. Reason: turned off autoplay

  20. #20
    Perpetual Hack
    Reputation: mykel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,129
    From what I understand this is a "test" feature.
    If it works out, they have some more "sponsored" features planned.
    Part of the three year build-up plan.

    Still, I agree, a bit weird on a "Blue" run. But then again, Haole, has the width and terain for this. It seems that Haole is starting to become a "progression" trail - with the little optional wooden ladder drops, the wall ride, the jumps with the beefed up lips that can be rolled or boosted... and now this...

    Supposed to be heading up again, sometime between Mon-Wed next week. Can't wait.

    michael
    Last edited by mykel; 08-24-2011 at 11:05 AM.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    The huck at the beginning of waterfall is off a wooden ramp. It might technically be rollable, but it’s probably safer to huck it than to risk an endo into the rocks. Same with the filter at the top of Showcase/Shotglass by my recollection. I actually rolled down the LHS through roots just to try it, and I pissed myself compared to launching. That being said, if you have a chopper-style DH rig with forks that recede into the distance, you might find it easier to roll than I do

    In any event, this has a ride-around just like the other trannys on Haole, so I suspect their perspective is that it’s an option, and just as you could roll some of the other features, you could ride around this feature.

    But seriously, it looks safer to me to huck this thing than to either roll or huck the filters I mentioned. But if this is all about lawyers... They can always build a steep downramp such that the only way to roll off the end is to come to a stop, turn the bike sideways, and drop in on it like a half pipe. That would be technically more demanding than hucking off the end, but they could always claim that people launching into space were “doing it wrong” and had the option of rolling it.
    Watching some youtube vids of those trails, I've both rolled and hucked those features, and I don't think a 160mm Fox 36 matches your description. That said, I’m not trying to be argumentative about what is rollable vs mandatory huck. My point is that I feel like I can roll into any of those features and come out the other side unscathed regardless of how I decide to ride it and within reason, regardless of the speed I come in with – ie it is hard to eff it up. This new feature, on the other hand (having seen it under construction, but not yet having hit it) seems to me to be a higher consequence feature that would be much easier to eff up. As you say though, it is an optional line, and there’s no mistaking what it is on the approach.

  22. #22
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    But seriously, it looks safer to me to huck this thing than to either roll or huck the filters I mentioned. But if this is all about lawyers... They can always build a steep downramp such that the only way to roll off the end is to come to a stop, turn the bike sideways, and drop in on it like a half pipe. That would be technically more demanding than hucking off the end, but they could always claim that people launching into space were “doing it wrong” and had the option of rolling it.
    if someone drops their front end they will stuff it and it will happen. it would suck to go through another purge again. i say make it lawyer safe
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  23. #23
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    if someone drops their front end they will stuff it and it will happen. it would suck to go through another purge again. i say make it lawyer safe
    That is safe. They don't build features without approval. It's marked, off-trail and not a mandatory ride-over (like the trail filters)...The rider needs to make a conscious decision to turn and approach it.

    It's an option, and a relatively safe one at that and I for one am excited for Blue.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

  24. #24
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391

    Good job!

    good input stefanb... it seems that people are taking notice of all the hard/good work and due deligence you did at horseshoe. it shows that it can be done. to bad some people have their heads in the sand down here. keep up the good work!


    Quote Originally Posted by stefanb View Post
    That is safe. They don't build features without approval. It's marked, off-trail and not a mandatory ride-over (like the trail filters)...The rider needs to make a conscious decision to turn and approach it.

    It's an option, and a relatively safe one at that and I for one am excited for Blue.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  25. #25
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    good input stefanb... it seems that people are taking notice of all the hard/good work and due deligence you did at horseshoe. it shows that it can be done. to bad some people have their heads in the sand down here. keep up the good work!


    Speaking of which, I do believe you are due for a visit!

    Our stuff has all been reviewed and approved by a risk manager and insurance company which should set the baseline for what is now acceptable in Ontario bike parks.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    The huck at the beginning of waterfall is off a wooden ramp. It might technically be rollable, but it’s probably safer to huck it than to risk an endo into the rocks. Same with the filter at the top of Showcase/Shotglass by my recollection. I actually rolled down the LHS through roots just to try it, and I pissed myself compared to launching. That being said, if you have a chopper-style DH rig with forks that recede into the distance, you might find it easier to roll than I do
    I've seen both rolled on a hardtail XC bike with 100mm travel fork. He went right down the middle too, not to the left through the roots.

    I've found that launching the waterfall filter is tougher than rolling it because the landing is dusty and off camber. I prefer to launch it though.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: raganwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by jduffett View Post
    Watching some youtube vids of those trails, I've both rolled and hucked those features, and I don't think a 160mm Fox 36 matches your description. That said, I’m not trying to be argumentative about what is rollable vs mandatory huck. My point is that I feel like I can roll into any of those features and come out the other side unscathed regardless of how I decide to ride it and within reason, regardless of the speed I come in with – ie it is hard to eff it up. This new feature, on the other hand (having seen it under construction, but not yet having hit it) seems to me to be a higher consequence feature that would be much easier to eff up. As you say though, it is an optional line, and there’s no mistaking what it is on the approach.
    I'm sure you can! That being said, the day I was at the Wade Simmons camp, I saw someone who broke their wrist on the Showcase/Shotglass filter. No idea whether it was an endo rolling it or a huck gone wrong. Clearly there is danger involved in this business of negotiating drops.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrastories's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    497
    I think the feature makes sense on the blue run, then as a new rider you can see what you can progress to, it will give you a goal to try to hit the features, where if they put it on some of the harder trails new riders would not see them and never really push as hard to progress, a feature like this one seems to me to be a doable feature, it has a nice wide and open landing. Trees and rocks in a landing always scare me and are usually what stop me from going off of big features.

    I liked it when Wade was there they had the progression of drops at the top of the ski run beside waterfall. I wish they could put that type of stuff in, as a new downhiller it is intimidating to do the big drops with out working your way up, all mental not as much skill related.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    I'm sure you can! That being said, the day I was at the Wade Simmons camp, I saw someone who broke their wrist on the Showcase/Shotglass filter. No idea whether it was an endo rolling it or a huck gone wrong. Clearly there is danger involved in this business of negotiating drops.
    There is danger involved at all points of the trails, to varying levels.

    It's possible to break a wrist at any point on any of the trails due to lack of skill or control. I've gone down a few times at Blue. It never happened on the Shotglass filter. The most unexpected location was the right hand corner after the location of the new drop on Haole before it got bermed up, and I went off the outside deep into the woods.

    My wife broke her ankle miniputting. She doesn't consider miniputting dangerous.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,831
    My gripe with this thing is the fact it's banked and made from dimensional lumber.

    It's going to be slick and unpredictable when wet. Traction paint won't be enough to combat the dirt that will get dragged onto it.

    A dirt hip would have been a better option.

    But it's hard to spray paint sponsor logo's on dirt.

  31. #31
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanb View Post
    Our stuff has all been reviewed and approved by a risk manager and insurance company which should set the baseline for what is now acceptable in Ontario bike parks.
    THIS is information I can use! Great news!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  32. #32
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanb View Post


    Speaking of which, I do believe you are due for a visit!

    Our stuff has all been reviewed and approved by a risk manager and insurance company which should set the baseline for what is now acceptable in Ontario bike parks.
    me and judy have it planned! last year we missed the halloween special, we don't want to do that again.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: macming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,008
    That feature looks like a LOT of fun! I can't wait to check it out the next time I go there

    I have rolled off everything (waterfall, trail filter shotglass) at Blue before with a 180mm fork, and this time, everything should be even more rollable with a Boxxer and a full DH bike!

  34. #34
    Workin for the weekend!
    Reputation: -Todd-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    My wife broke her ankle miniputting. She doesn't consider miniputting dangerous.
    Quoted for random entertainment purposes....

  35. #35
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    My gripe with this thing is the fact it's banked and made from dimensional lumber.

    It's going to be slick and unpredictable when wet. Traction paint won't be enough to combat the dirt that will get dragged onto it.

    A dirt hip would have been a better option.

    But it's hard to spray paint sponsor logo's on dirt.
    Have you ever built a dirt hip that size? Just curious; It's a huge pain and effort and the dirt can be uncontrollable due to it being on an angle and you would lose the lip daily. Cost is also a factor as well as legacy costs; the wood will last MUCH longer and be more durable.

    Wood makes sense; not saying their design is wrong but I see what you mean, it WILL be slippery when wet, but I'd assume that feature will be closed when it's raining.

    Ours is steeper, made of rough cut lumber and even has traction adders and it's still closed when wet...not worth it to keep it open and expose to potential customer harm.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

  36. #36
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    me and judy have it planned! last year we missed the halloween special, we don't want to do that again.
    No Halloween special this year

    BUT

    Sat. Oct 1st "Hotdogs and Handlebars" @ Horseshoe Resort is happening...Co-Appreciation event with Norco...They are bringing 2012 fleet for demo, prizes, swag and after-party! More details to come
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

  37. #37
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanb View Post
    No Halloween special this year

    BUT

    Sat. Oct 1st "Hotdogs and Handlebars" @ Horseshoe Resort is happening...Co-Appreciation event with Norco...They are bringing 2012 fleet for demo, prizes, swag and after-party! More details to come
    cool, we are booking a hotel room for that, sounds like fun!
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  38. #38
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,095
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanb View Post
    No Halloween special this year

    BUT

    Sat. Oct 1st "Hotdogs and Handlebars" @ Horseshoe Resort is happening...Co-Appreciation event with Norco...They are bringing 2012 fleet for demo, prizes, swag and after-party! More details to come
    That sounds great! We are definitely going! Will Norco have 29ers to demo? I want to shred the gnar on a 29er hahaha!

  39. #39
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I want to shred the gnar on a 29er hahaha!
    If they have a Shinobi there, give it a shot. You might surprise yourself!

    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  40. #40
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    cool, we are booking a hotel room for that, sounds like fun!
    Ok wait until the special goes live so you can book in under that...$109 room, $12 breakfast and $25 weekend ticket.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

  41. #41
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    That sounds great! We are definitely going! Will Norco have 29ers to demo? I want to shred the gnar on a 29er hahaha!
    I don't know exactly what they are bringing, but we did shoot a 29er that was part of their demo fleet, so I assume yes there will be one there.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

  42. #42
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanb View Post
    Ok wait until the special goes live so you can book in under that...$109 room, $12 breakfast and $25 weekend ticket.
    sweet! i'm going to do the zip line also... and mini putt helmet cam!
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    My gripe with this thing is the fact it's banked and made from dimensional lumber.

    It's going to be slick and unpredictable when wet. Traction paint won't be enough to combat the dirt that will get dragged onto it.

    A dirt hip would have been a better option.

    But it's hard to spray paint sponsor logo's on dirt.
    I think I would value the opinion of someone who has rode it, then someone just looking at a low rez pictures of it and making a lot of assumptions. Or heaven forbid, go and try this feature myself and not talk about it online!

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: raganwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    913
    This just in: My understanding from a friend who went to Blue for the weekend is that the feature has been closed. Anybody able to corroborate this?

    Update: further down the thread, others are reporting various possibilities including the possibility that it needs some tweaks.
    Last edited by raganwald; 08-26-2011 at 05:00 PM.

  45. #45
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    This just in: My understanding from a friend who went to Blue for the weekend is that...

    The feature has been closed and will be removed.

    Anybody able to corroborate this?
    Wow, if that's true, it would be remarkably short-lived for a legit feature!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanb View Post
    Have you ever built a dirt hip that size? Just curious; It's a huge pain and effort and the dirt can be uncontrollable due to it being on an angle and you would lose the lip daily. Cost is also a factor as well as legacy costs; the wood will last MUCH longer and be more durable.

    Wood makes sense; not saying their design is wrong but I see what you mean, it WILL be slippery when wet, but I'd assume that feature will be closed when it's raining.

    Ours is steeper, made of rough cut lumber and even has traction adders and it's still closed when wet...not worth it to keep it open and expose to potential customer harm.
    I have not specifically built an all dirt hip of that size, but I've worked on some wood/dirt combo features that are about equal in size to the "drop" portion of that feature. I've also worked on all wood features with a bigger drop than that.

    If it's going to be closed every time it rains is it a good allocation of resources?

    It's bermed because they built it at a corner. The berm is going to be the main reason why it needs to be closed when wet. Could something with the same amount of resources have been built that would not need to be closed when wet? And be equally as fun? It's a pretty big amount of wood for a relative small amount of air time.

    re: traction adders. If something needs traction adders it's going to rack up costs over time. All traction adders I've ever seen wear our.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Devinci luvr View Post
    I think I would value the opinion of someone who has rode it, then someone just looking at a low rez pictures of it and making a lot of assumptions. Or heaven forbid, go and try this feature myself and not talk about it online!
    What is wrong with healthy discussion about trail building and feature design?

  48. #48
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    What is wrong with healthy discussion about trail building and feature design?
    Outside ideas and suggestions are evil in Ontario. Opps I mean, far to often it's less about creating solutions and more about turf wars and who thinks they have more power on the trails.

    Classic line heard in 2010 in this regard..." This isn't the shore so no ladder bridges can be used as a solution."

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Classic line heard in 2010 in this regard..." This isn't the shore so no ladder bridges can be used as a solution."
    Current trend on "the shore" is to only use wood for water crossings or to deal with problem wet areas and elevate the trail above. Not too many wood features being built just for the sake of having a wood feature. New features are incorporating dirt and the natural terrain as much as possible.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    My gripe with this thing is the fact it's banked and made from dimensional lumber.

    It's going to be slick and unpredictable when wet. Traction paint won't be enough to combat the dirt that will get dragged onto it.

    A dirt hip would have been a better option.

    But it's hard to spray paint sponsor logo's on dirt.
    Personally, I love the sound of rough split timber structures over dimensional lumber. It feels more natural and rustic. I find it sounds very much like driving a car on cobblestones.

    Trails at Blue are pretty much closed if they're wet. The clay dries out slowly. I expect the wood will be dry before the trails are dry enough that they open them.

  51. #51
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I have not specifically built an all dirt hip of that size, but I've worked on some wood/dirt combo features that are about equal in size to the "drop" portion of that feature. I've also worked on all wood features with a bigger drop than that.

    If it's going to be closed every time it rains is it a good allocation of resources?

    It's bermed because they built it at a corner. The berm is going to be the main reason why it needs to be closed when wet. Could something with the same amount of resources have been built that would not need to be closed when wet? And be equally as fun? It's a pretty big amount of wood for a relative small amount of air time.

    re: traction adders. If something needs traction adders it's going to rack up costs over time. All traction adders I've ever seen wear our.
    Blue is generally closed every time it rains anyway; so it's a moot point.

    Resort building is different than just throwing stuff up in the forest...Wood makes sense because it is long-lasting, relatively cheap and durable. With something made out of dirt you need to allocate resources to always be re-packing, shaping and dealing with general wear and tear.

    Personally, I'd always default back to building wood features, especially larger ones simply because once they're up, they stay up with minimal maintenance.

    As for traction adders; I think you are splitting hairs here...The cost of old shingles, sand in pant, chicken wire etc. etc. is minimal and needs replacing every couple of seasons.

    Trail building, just like bicycling is heavily based on preference and builders can argue all day about the right way to do stuff; but I find it's all situational and should be taken on a case-by-case basis.

    In this specific case, I think wood was the right call.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

  52. #52
    namagomi
    Reputation: electrik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,884
    Old shingles! they accelerate rot and the forest will be covered in nail and shingle quickly.

  53. #53
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Old shingles! they accelerate rot and the forest will be covered in nail and shingle quickly.
    We don't use them, but it's just an example. Thanks for letting those who didn't know, know!
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    This just in: My understanding from a friend who went to Blue for the weekend is that...

    The feature has been closed and will be removed.

    Anybody able to corroborate this?
    Thats the first I've heard about it being closed......the bike patrol guy I asked about it just said management decided to close it "indefinitely". Who knows at this point though. They should've thought that might happen before they put all the effort into building it so it could be closed 2 days after its opening lol.

  55. #55
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    To anyone wondering...

    The feature is just getting massaged. After opening it to the public it was observed that some tweaks need to be made to the design so they are going to get that out of the way and re-open it.

    No biggie.
    Last edited by stefanb; 08-26-2011 at 07:53 PM.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

  56. #56
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    This just in: My understanding from a friend who went to Blue for the weekend is that the feature has been closed. Anybody able to corroborate this?

    Update: further down the thread, others are reporting various possibilities including the possibility that it needs some tweaks.
    yes it is closed, was there today. they did get alot of rain the day before. the wall, squeaker and the sleaze where closed also. my fav trail "grab bag" was ridable, but you had to take it slow due to the wet clay and roots.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  57. #57
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Current trend on "the shore" is to only use wood for water crossings or to deal with problem wet areas and elevate the trail above. Not too many wood features being built just for the sake of having a wood feature. New features are incorporating dirt and the natural terrain as much as possible.
    Basically what ladder bridges started off ass- crossing creeks and large fallen logs.

    The one's I mentioned where being put in to solve problems- 3 creeks and some problem wet areas. And one to help getting over a big ass fallen log.

    Now after the individual has gone through and ripped the bridges out.. the creeks look a mess.

  58. #58
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    back today, looks like conditions will be very good at all dh venues
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: raganwald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    back today, looks like conditions will be very good at all dh venues
    Thanks for the updates!

  60. #60
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,095
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanb View Post
    I don't know exactly what they are bringing, but we did shoot a 29er that was part of their demo fleet, so I assume yes there will be one there.
    Sorry for off topic: We are definitely going to attend the Oct 1 venue at Horseshoe. We might even try the zip line (never done that before!)
    If Norco has the 29er tester I would like to ride it dh and report my findings. I've never ridden a 29er so I am very curious how it handles dh style... so much to do so little time

  61. #61
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    back today, looks like conditions will be very good at all dh venues
    lol....sweet!

  62. #62
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    wow lots of riders out on sunday, ran into a couple of people we knew. conditions where very good though a strong wind made getting enough speed for the table top tough. the village was packed also.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  63. #63
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Sorry for off topic: We are definitely going to attend the Oct 1 venue at Horseshoe. We might even try the zip line (never done that before!)
    If Norco has the 29er tester I would like to ride it dh and report my findings. I've never ridden a 29er so I am very curious how it handles dh style... so much to do so little time
    I'm looking forward to your 29er report too. It's always interesting to see people's first impressions on them.

    Oh and you're going to love the zip line. I took one down from the top of the Great Wall near Beijing and "woohooed" all the way down.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  64. #64
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    a big problem about using wood in wet areas around here is that the ice tends to rip/shift everything out. even on the side of hills you can get a below ground spring freezing and moving to the surface. so you really have to pick and choose where you place structures.
    even in the town (bolton) sometimes they pull out the large trail bridges to prevent damage. every area is different and you have to listen the locals.


    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Basically what ladder bridges started off ass- crossing creeks and large fallen logs.

    The one's I mentioned where being put in to solve problems- 3 creeks and some problem wet areas. And one to help getting over a big ass fallen log.

    Now after the individual has gone through and ripped the bridges out.. the creeks look a mess.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    450
    Todays trail status for Blue:

    Enjoy the riding! The North Face feature on Haole is currently closed for construction.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    450
    This morning the trail status said the feature was closed. This afternoon it does not. Hopefully they have finished their modifications.

  67. #67
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    This morning the trail status said the feature was closed. This afternoon it does not. Hopefully they have finished their modifications.
    hopefully we will get one good day of riding this weekend...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    543
    so I rode the revised version today.....basically they put in a massive amount of dirt below and around it so if you fall of the side its less than a foot to the ground. The landing is REALLY built up so its only like a 1.5ft drop now

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    166
    does anyone know which trail(s) will be closed for the race on Sunday ?

  70. #70
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1 View Post
    so I rode the revised version today.....basically they put in a massive amount of dirt below and around it so if you fall of the side its less than a foot to the ground. The landing is REALLY built up so its only like a 1.5ft drop now
    Thanks for the update. We will be up at blue Saturday (weather permitting). Plan to check out the jump.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dhpunk~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by Norcoshore1 View Post
    so I rode the revised version today.....basically they put in a massive amount of dirt below and around it so if you fall of the side its less than a foot to the ground. The landing is REALLY built up so its only like a 1.5ft drop now
    thats honestly unfortunate.....
    assuming there were 3 choices....demo all, build a hand rail because its 2'+ height or build up the surface profile....

    North Face advertising = 1
    progression = 0
    FAQ YOU

  72. #72
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by dhpunk~ View Post
    thats honestly unfortunate.....
    assuming there were 3 choices....demo all, build a hand rail because its 2'+ height or build up the surface profile....

    North Face advertising = 1
    progression = 0
    it's all depends where you land... i'm happy blue is building and thinking
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  73. #73
    GAME ON!
    Reputation: saturnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,964
    i was at blue yesterday and this feature was closed. it was being tweaked. also, i rolled the filter on waterfall and burped my tire, causing an epic bail. that said, when i got back on, i cleared the run. it was my first time at blue and definitely my first double black. i think these features are fine for those who know they can clear them. for others it should be use at your own risk (but blue basically is anyway.)
    RIP Adam Yauch

    "M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

  74. #74
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by silverstick View Post
    does anyone know which trail(s) will be closed for the race on Sunday ?
    Big Sleaze and Squeaker
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

  75. #75
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanb View Post
    Big Sleaze and Squeaker
    also grab bag and the wall... was there today, though was real moist out. got pics of the work done. great job blue!
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  76. #76
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    also grab bag and the wall... was there today, though was real moist out. got pics of the work done. great job blue!
    As was I. Saw you and Judy, but did not have a chance to catch up as I was buried in that lift line...

    So hot! Ugh!
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

  77. #77
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391


    here's the feature and riders for scale...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  78. #78
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    14,095
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanb View Post
    As was I. Saw you and Judy, but did not have a chance to catch up as I was buried in that lift line...

    So hot! Ugh!
    It was the busiest Ive seen it all summer. Hope you had fun on the runs. If you're racing hope the weather holds up. We're going back tomorrow.
    Yes it was really humid!

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    450
    It looks like there's a lot of tire marks from riders coming off the inside. Maybe the modification was really needed.

  80. #80
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    It looks like there's a lot of tire marks from riders coming off the inside. Maybe the modification was really needed.
    If you give them the option, they'll take it. My guess is people just ride off it because they can.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

  81. #81
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    the whole thing is rideable with all kinds of lines you can take. kinda fun actually
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

  82. #82
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,859
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    It looks like there's a lot of tire marks from riders coming off the inside. Maybe the modification was really needed.
    Maybe that's why they decided they needed to tweak it. We were mostly thinking people would stuff it coming off the end but maybe riders were eating it left, right and centre!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  83. #83
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,302
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Maybe that's why they decided they needed to tweak it. We were mostly thinking people would stuff it coming off the end but maybe riders were eating it left, right and centre!
    Not really surprising. One has to factor in that some won't hit it with enough speed.. need a few tries to figure it out. Then add in those who will like the wall ride aspect but don't want to hit the drop at the end... mentally they feel better about taking basically the bail line.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,831
    Got a picture of the full wall ride with the entrance? So the wall replaced the banked drop?

  85. #85
    humber river advocate
    Reputation: singlesprocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,391
    it's not a wall ride, everything is still there.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

    build trail!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-22-2011, 09:45 PM
  2. New Feature!
    By Dominator13 in forum Knolly
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-04-2009, 03:03 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 09:40 PM
  4. Wasn't there a feature?
    By pacman in forum California - Socal
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 01:30 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.