New bike - advice/ recommendations - wheel size, etc.?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

New bike - advice/ recommendations - wheel size, etc.?

Great, Thanks! So I have a few weeks to make a decision on a new bike. Would it make a big difference choosing 29 or 27.5 wheels for a newbie if I was planning on learning on these trails and maybe the don trail? Or should I go whatever feels better?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by herder View Post
    Great, Thanks! So I have a few weeks to make a decision on a new bike. Would it make a big difference choosing 29 or 27.5 wheels for a newbie if I was planning on learning on these trails and maybe the don trail? Or should I go whatever feels better?
    Oh dear, that question is a loaded one! I'm sure you will get just as many opinions as there are bikes!

I ride a 29' Carbon Hardtail set up as a 1x10 but have been riding for years and can clear everything in the forest except for one root-Fested off camber 120deg R hand turn that had a 1' step down! (Pain in my ass!!)

I like my 29'er, wouldn't go back to 26' and have not ridden 27.5 so can't say. Regardless of the bike you will have nothing to compare it to so in a sense it will all be new, no preconceived notions.

29 rolls a bit faster, rolls over obstacles a bit easier, doesn't turn quite as fast, but with some of the new bikes and geometries I'm sure that is changing. 27.5 would be a tad slower, accelerate a bit faster And turn a bit quicker, but again without riding them back to back you'd never know.

If you haven't purchased as yet and are considering brand new, unfortunately Pedal Performance has gone out of business and are having a bankruptcy sale, all bikes were 25% off. When I was in there Sat afternoon they had a bunch of Scott mtn bikes still, No idea their stock now.

Here is the link from last week on the sale:

Bankruptcy Sale ? Pedal Performance

D

P.s. Realized I didn't answer your last question... I'd say whatever feels best!
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I was actually planning on going by to see, I purchased my caad 10 from them. Unfortunately my budget is not to high. It looks like I will only be able to grab something with a suntour fork. Hopefully it will hold up on the trails?

mtbr member
    I'm thinking end of April this year around the GTA except for excellent draining places like Turkey Point. As to the bike, it is really dependent on your body frame as well. Certain 29ers feel really tall and would not be as comfortable for a smaller rider. I ride a full suspension carbon Tallboy. The Santa Cruz bikes fit a little bit smaller. I have had no issues with tight single track. I primarily ride the very rocky terrain of the Agreement Forest and prefer rooty and rocky places. I am also on the other side of 50, so full suspension keeps me rolling longer. For Durham and the Don, I would think a rigid bike would work quite well. I rode a rigid 26er for most of my riding life, and it did not hold me back too much. I still love my Santa Cruz Chameleon. I don't think you are going to notice that much of a difference between a 27.5 and 29 bike and as pointed out. You will have to go and sit on a bunch of bikes and see how they feel and fit. I envy your soon to come bike shopping experience. I am not sure where you live, but I would recommend the guys at either location of Cycle Solutions. They have been awesome to me for many years. The Beaches location has way more inventory.
    Burnt Norton

No. Just No.

New bike - advice/ recommendations - wheel size, etc.?

Creating new topic here with posts moved from the Durham Forest conditions thread.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Creating new topic here with posts moved from the Durham Forest conditions thread.
    Thanks, I knew it was starting to get off topic.
    Dennis
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    My opinion. Go with what feels right. Try out the different wheel sizes, different bikes.

There has been enough arguing for the past 5-7 years about wheel size to only suggest that for the casual, average mountain biker, it makes little difference.

In the past 4 years I've been on 26, 29 and now 27.5. I can't say I've had no more fun on one versus the other. I've settled into 27.5 as I've found it's the best fit for me and I like the balance of benefits/negatives compared to the extremes, though it's primarily fit.

It's a pretty good time to get into a used 26er for cheap. It's a buyers market. If you are comfortable with selecting a used bike, might be worth looking into if you feel its not a big issue for you.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm more concerned about the fork. Would a cheaper fork (Suntour xcm or xcr) hold up okay in durham or don valley? I didn't want to spend too much at first. I do a lot of road riding and just want to give this a try this summer.

I'm not the most comfortable buying used. I wouldn't know how to judge the forks condition.

mtbr member
    My advice is to consider wheel size last. There are a lot more important things than wheel size, especially because there are both 29 and 27.5 inch bikes that work great.

mtbr member
    With a limited budget I would really look around at PinkBike and Kijiji for a used hard-tail. My brother bought a used Norco 29er last year with decent components for cheap. If you have a few things lined up, the folks here can help you get sorted out.
    You can try Facebook MTB Parts Finder and put in a WTB add.
    Burnt Norton

Lemmy Rules!
    It also depends on how tall you are. But yes, if possible try before you buy.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    component level is more important to me, on the MTB, than my road bike (unless you are serious racing). The road bike can run all day with two gears but try riding your mountain bike up a steep section when your derailler won't change to a lower gear. And it is a lot more fun if you have a decent fork not a pogo stick. Fit is also very important to me. Wheel size comes down the list. How much you spend is important, better components seems to me to up the fun factor.

And I would be down to Pedal Performance in a minute, hopefully first in line.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I just came from the Vaughan Pedal Performance. Nothing really left. Really busy. They had a Scott Scale 740 for $1430. Still over my budget

mtbr member

Scott scale 740

too bad it is out of range as that looks like a really good price. It probably has XT crank and rear derailleur, Fox fork maybe rocket ron tires. Nice package.