New To The Area: Ottawa and Ontario: Trails?- Mtbr.com
    CMo

Jul 2008

New To The Area: Ottawa and Ontario: Trails?

I am new to the Ottawa area...Ontario for that matter. I have moved here from Nova Scotia and am looking for some freeride oriented trails. I ride a Santa Cruz Bullit as well as a Brodie Holeshot depending on the trail and the flavour of the day. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some areas worth checking out, maybe some local publications outlining the local trails, or the best website resources around. Thanks a bunch. Cheers.

mtbr member
    your best bet locally would be Camp fortune, nice tech DH riding there, steep and rocky with some wood work

Calabogie is about 1hr away, another DH place with really fun trails. A nice mix of rock & dirt with some good jumps thrown in from time to time.

check out http://www.mtbkanata.com for more local resources.

Kanata Lakes is for wicked trail riding, a great place to spend an afternoon, lots of dirt with large shield rock to make it interesting and challenging in spots.

Have fun

mtbr member
    Locally fortune is a lot of Fun, Also if you don't mind driving a little make a trip out to Bromont (an hour south of Montreal). I would vote it as the best riding this side of the rockies, and one of the best lift access hills in Canada.

CMo

Jul 2008
    Thanks for the ideas guys. Also, is there much of a street scene around here...I haven't seen many street rides out and about. I am used to HFX where they seem to everywhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I ride some street *very* occasionally on my .243, and I have got a few compliments on the bike so street riding is not totally unknown around here. However, there seems to have been a steep decline since the re-opening of Camp Fortune several years ago, possibly coupled with other factors that have drawn riders away from the mtb street scene.

I like riding urban/street in Ottawa becuase the city is small enough that you can cover a decent area of it in an afternoon of just cruising around. The "community" must still be around though, because we have a Gatinueau bike company called Dobermann that's making some really sick frames. Also, check out the store called Phat Moose Cycles, they are pretty community oriented guys and sell great bikes for all disciplines but especially freeride and DH.

For technical XC I love to ride South March Highlands (Kanata Lakes). Go to ottawamba.org for trail maps and ride planning, etc. If you don't mind pedaling, there is crazy stuff on trails like Outback; very rocky with short steep climbs.

Members who have read this thread: 0