Need new XC bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Need new XC bike

Hi,

Sorry if this question is redundant, but it's hard finding a bike for my size (I'm 5'2)

My bike was stolen out of my garage mid last summer so I'm jonesing to get another bike. Not riding for the rest of last summer has made me crazy.

Where can I find great deals on bikes?

I'm looking to spend around $1000 on a hard tail, but will, over the course of the year(s) will upgrade. I just can't toss down $3 grand right now for a good good bike.

As long as I get a good frame.. parts are upgradable.

I'm a pretty good technical rider and don't really need a women's specific bike, unless if there is something i don't know.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Amy!

Apr 2004

Used

TO bike shops tend to be a bit of a rip - I'd say buy used. You can get a really nice used bike for a grand. Check out the buy/sell forums here. Theirs also another Canadian site that I can't quite remember right now that has a decent sellers forum. Maybe someone else will know. The bulletin board down a MEC always has a few rides for sale as does the forum on the website (www.mec.ca). MEC itself also has really good prices on new parts if your looking at building something up.

I already rode that
    Quote Originally Posted by 12XU
    TO bike shops tend to be a bit of a rip - I'd say buy used. You can get a really nice used bike for a grand. Check out the buy/sell forums here. Theirs also another Canadian site that I can't quite remember right now that has a decent sellers forum. Maybe someone else will know. The bulletin board down a MEC always has a few rides for sale as does the forum on the website (www.mec.ca). MEC itself also has really good prices on new parts if your looking at building something up.
    Is that other site Canadian Cyclist? I know that site has a pretty good buy/sell section and has more local stuff then the others seem to.

Apr 2004

yeah, canadian cyclist is it! NM

nmnmn

Jan 2004

hardtail

If your looking at buying a new bike for $1000 CDN you can get a good hardtail that is worth upgrading later down the road. The new Giant Iguana has not the best forks Man Six sport, but does include disc breaks. My wife has last years model and has really liked the bike. I went with a Norco Bigfoot which I was able to get for $860 discounted at %25 off last yr stock deal. I plan on upgrading the forks, and drive train as it breaks. But Giant gives you a good bang for your buck. Garry Fisher Tassajara, it may be bias but I also feel Norco gives a good bang for the buck also.

So you have many options. You still may get lucky and be able to find a 2003 model at
    30% off which is even better if you can get that. MAKE SURE ITS FITS THOU. But if your looking to buy new, IMHO you can get a decent entry/int level ride that can be upgraded as you break/wear components. If your only spending $1000, I would really recommend you stay away from buying a FS bike! It will not be good for that kinda money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My last bike was bought used from Silent Sports. It was ****ing awesome and I upgraded the forks once.. and the handle bars and seat. Spent $1200 intially on a used bike that was hardly used.

Just wanted to know good shops that sell used. Sports swap... silent sports.. what about Cyclepath?

I used to work for MEC and yes they do have SOME good parts for cheap.. but mostly cassettes.. pedals... chains...rear derailleurs. Not much else. Like I guess if I upgraded.. it might be the forks.. or rims.. things that will be a bit more expensive, so I'll have to get those later in the year.

I'll have to check their message boards tho.. totally forgot about that!

Thanks all!

If you hear of anyone selling a GOOD 14 inch/ small frame.. Lemme know.

mtbr member

Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacebabe77
    Hi,

Amy!
    I would suggest the bike shows that happen in Toronto in the spring and fall. You missed the spring one and the fall one happens... well... in the fall. If you could wait until the fall you could probably get a good deal for your size.
    To be honest you've picked the worst season to go bike shopping if you want to save money. Lots of stuff is available but it's also not on sale.
    Silent Sports has a few bikes swaps coming up that you might be able to pick something up at. There was a complete Truth at the fall swap for 1200 with a dent in the top tube the wheels were probably worth that much new. I almost bought it for the wheels but decided not to do it.

Silent Sport Swaps.

Sat/Sun April 17/18 2004
    Sat/Sun May 15/16 2004
    Sat Sept 18 2004

I'll probably be getting rid of an 2000 18" M2 Specialized Stumpjumper frame (scratch on top tube because of stupid bike rack), a 11/32 XT cassette (used six rides max. last year), seatpost for the M2 Frame, front derailleur from the same frame and the bottom bracket at the May 15 swap.
    Unless somebody wants to offer me some money for the above now.

Looking for Adventure

Devinci's are good buys

Look at various bike shops for last years Devincis, both hard tail and full suspension.
    I bought a very good deal on a Devinci Saugaro, a 4 bar full suspension frame with half decent components (and bearing vs. bushing pivots), for my daughter. Paid $900 at Silent Sports just north of Toronto. They had another model or 2 left.

Devinci is very good at the lower end of the price scale, as well as Giant.

Good luck!

mtbr member

Good job! i have a porter 14.5inch i might be selling(NOT SPAM)

its a cuztom made hardtail, 2000 model made in new brunswick by john porter. 14.5inch 6061 aluminum frame, sid sl with l/o, king wheels, sram 9.0vbrakes, raceface headset, xt 8 speed shifters, xtr front and rear derailers, ti xtr cogs, xtr brake levers, ct2 post, ct2 monkey lite riser bar, raceface NEXT cranks with newer rings, brand new chain and pulleys, raceface bb, choice of pedals, icon grahpite stem, bike weighs in at around 21 to 22 pounds. my lady frineds 5 foot 2 and it fits her great. email if you want some pics and definalty try to buy one used you can get a great deal.
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacebabe77
    Hi,

Sorry if this question is redundant, but it's hard finding a bike for my size (I'm 5'2)

My bike was stolen out of my garage mid last summer so I'm jonesing to get another bike. Not riding for the rest of last summer has made me crazy.

Where can I find great deals on bikes?

I'm looking to spend around $1000 on a hard tail, but will, over the course of the year(s) will upgrade. I just can't toss down $3 grand right now for a good good bike.

I'm a pretty good technical rider and don't really need a women's specific bike, unless if there is something i don't know.

Amy!
    Used are a possibility, but they are also a minefield... may potenetial problems if you're not careful.

Spacebabe77, drop by The Bike Zone and ask for Brian or Bill. I'm sure we can find you a decent ride around that price range. We sell Marin, Brodie, Devinci, GT, KHS, Santa Cruz, Airborne, Yeti, Turner, Ellsworth, etc

-Brian-
    this space left intentionally blank

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    how does full XTR small GiantXTC sound. I mean full XTR, hubs and all. front fork is a sid xc.

let me know if you're interested. PM ur email address, I will send you pics and my number.
    I Ride, I Know

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    Brodie, GT, Santa Cruz, Turner, Ellsworth

-Brian-
    YUM!

GT... I used to love them for their design, but I thought they were finished.. or just bought out?

Are they still any good?

Amy - Been out of bike loop for awhile now.

mtbr member
    I found that if I was buying a bike I really wanted to invest time/effort and many years into then new is the only way to go. Just aim for the best frame and fork you can afford. That's how I bought my present ride, the rest came down to how much $$ I had at the time to complete the build. In the two years I've had it, I've changed over 75% of the components.

You'll have to be pretty confident to buy used. You can get great deals and I have several friends that only buy used equipment but they can come with their fair share of headaches.

New is more money in the end but I think it's a more personalized route as well, you get to create a bike that suites you perfectly.

Clem

Mar 2004

... and if we just ... Devinci is definitely a good company or Gary Fisher

Hi Amy,

I had a cameleon and now have a gary fisher marlin and the marlin fits me like a glove. I found the small in the cameleon was a little long in the top tune for me and the small in the marlin was perfect because I was use to the genisis geometry that fisher offers in the sugar. Pm me if you have any more questions...

Shell