My Great Eastern Canada Adventure - places to ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My Great Eastern Canada Adventure - places to ride?

I'm 90% sure the lady and I will be taking a nice 2 week-ish trip through eastern Canada in a week or so. I'd love to bring my bike and ride a few days. Can't be my focus because she is with me. But this means I'm looking for lots of other recommendations!

Starting in New England we plan to head to: Montreal-QC-Gaspe-PEI-Cape Brenton-Halifax-back to New England.

Vallee-bras-du-nord is on the list, that is about it.

What are some other must hit places along that route? Prefer to hit really epic stuff that locals consider their best.

Also, free camping. I'm use to finding NFs and other less legal places to crash for the night, where can we find some free camping along the way?

What do folks recommend to do? Montral and QC will be filled with seeing the old cities, Gaspe/Cape Brenton lots of sight seeing. Great hikes? Breweries? Food? Beaches? Something cool you would recommend?

Many thanks.
    Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades.

mtbr member
    Free, and Canada don't go together. You may have some luck if you are way out in the boonies and don't get caught. I have done this, but with sleeping in the vehicle.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Free, and Canada don't go together. You may have some luck if you are way out in the boonies and don't get caught. I have done this, but with sleeping in the vehicle.
    My girlfriend's brother did this when he traveled through NS. I do this a lot in the states. But typically just when I need to get somewhere and want to be cheap. With her along for vacation I'd probably want to set a tent up. Good to know, thanks.

Ah yes, Mont-Sainte-Anne, forgot about that. I'm likely going to have the rigid plus, so DH is probably out of the question because I'm too cheap to rent. But I should probably see the world famous site.

mtbr member
    Lots of options - should be a fun trip!

Bromont is a great stop, both the trails on the mountain and the local trail network off Shefford road (which I prefer - great bakery at the trail head).

The Eastern Canadian National Cycling Centre is also in Bromont and have super cheap rooms for rent. Check out the '96 Atlanta Olympic Velodrome on site while there. They have a full BMX park and fun pump track.

Park de la Gorge is an ok afternoon stop.

Trailforks.com is a great resource for scoping out other cool spots. Post some pics & reviews when you're back.
    www.ottawavelo.com - MTB & Gravel lifestyle in Eastern Ontario

mtbr member
    Once you enter the Maritime Provinces (NB/PEI/NS), Fredericton area is by far the MTB and Beer capital, though unfortunately not the most highly desirable tourist area. You won't find any 'epic' stuff in terms of length. Most trail sets across the Maritimes are 1-2.5 hour rides for non-locals without the intimate knowledge to really link stuff together.

Best riding area for diversity of trails and ease for a non-local in Fredericton (and Maritimes) is MVP (Marysville Place) on Trailforks. Everything from fast, flowy machine built trails, right down to Rocky, Rooty, practically trials riding, which is typical of most Maritime stuff.

Craft breweries are Trailway (hoppy/unfiltered ales), Grimross (Belgian inspired), Picaroons (most generic, original craft brewery, the roundhouse is a good place to eat/drink/be on the waterfront), Graystone (The trendy downtown place, but the Patagonia Pale Ale is my favorite), Maybee Brewing (all types and out of the way). If you can catch Trailway when they have Milda's woodfired oven Pizza on site, can't be beat.

Beyond that, Fundy National Park has a great combination of hiking, scenery and there are even a couple trails that are open to biking. I've never been, but apparently Whitetail pretty fun (machine built 'flow' trail).

If you are coming from Gaspe, Sugarloaf Park in Campbellton NB has lift access riding (you can rent), good camping on site and some XC stuff, though not extensive.

In Halifax, its worth checking out Fight trail. Though not long, some of the most unique, technical trails you'll find. But you have to go with an open mind and trailsforks. It can be hard to navigate.

The Valley (Kentville area) has some great riding as well (The gorge). Plus good camping i the area (Blomidin) with nice hikes (in the Park, or head up to Cape Split ideally).

Not any National Forest type camping, but you can camp anywhere on crownland, which is very abundant in NS/NB. Meaning you can pull onto any forest road and pitch a tent essentially, which is fine in a pinch. If you are chatty. Pull into small local towns and talk with the locals and I'm sure they'll direct you to good spots to pitch a tent on a lake or river for free.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Happy to report back that Quebec was freaking awesome! Highlights include:

• Quebec City, by and large one my favorite cities I've ever visited.
    • Vallee-bras-du-nord, only spent one night and rode the Shannahan sector, but dannng.
    • The Gaspe, damn I have to get back there.
    • The dollar doing well, haha, had to include, made my life easier.
    • Getting to practice my French, except (most) everyone knows English so when I mess up you just switch for me.

Seriously; rode MSA, VBN, Matane (Igloo), and Gaspe (Lands End).

MSA was definitely rough (only did XC), it was raining and we camped so the access was sweet. Spiral pissed me off.

VBN, come on, classic.

Matane was low on the fun factor, I was on a bike so I was happy, I loved the nordic skiing club/bike club model. I can see folks take pride, but it was a system I would hit as a visitor again.

And Gaspe, wowwww. Freaking loved those trails. Really great work being done there. Also only sunny day so that helped.

Hit Saguenay, Gaspesie, and Bonaventure (the lady loves birds). Need to go back to the first two, did not spend enough time.

I also indulged heavily in poutine and your good beer selection. Thanks for a great time!

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by iceboxsteve View Post
    Happy to report back that Quebec was freaking awesome! Highlights include:

• Quebec City, by and large one my favorite cities I've ever visited.
    • Vallee-bras-du-nord, only spent one night and rode the Shannahan sector, but dannng.
    • The Gaspe, damn I have to get back there.
    • The dollar doing well, haha, had to include, made my life easier.
    • Getting to practice my French, except (most) everyone knows English so when I mess up you just switch for me.

Seriously; rode MSA, VBN, Matane (Igloo), and Gaspe (Lands End).

MSA was definitely rough (only did XC), it was raining and we camped so the access was sweet. Spiral pissed me off.

VBN, come on, classic.

Matane was low on the fun factor, I was on a bike so I was happy, I loved the nordic skiing club/bike club model. I can see folks take pride, but it was a system I would hit as a visitor again.

And Gaspe, wowwww. Freaking loved those trails. Really great work being done there. Also only sunny day so that helped.

Hit Saguenay, Gaspesie, and Bonaventure (the lady loves birds). Need to go back to the first two, did not spend enough time.

I also indulged heavily in poutine and your good beer selection. Thanks for a great time!
    Nice! Can you elaborate on the trails you rode on the Gaspe? Have been wanting to get out there too. And agreed, the trail building being done at VBN is impressive!
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Trailforks lists the trails but has the club info wrong, seems they recently changed names. (https://www.sentiersduboutdumonde.com/en/)

Out of the parking lot there is a really nice climbing trail. Well built, mostly machine from what I could tell. But the turns and grades make climbing to the top pretty fun. There are a variety of ways to play from there. From flowy, machine built downhills to more traditional singletrack.

It is signed pretty well and everything jives nicely. A well thought out and well constructed trail system.

Trailforks lists 10km I think but its more than that, I did 16 and rode the climb twice and did different ups and downs from the top.

"Old School" is as you can guess a traditional handcut line, very fun. "Lumbersexual" is listed as double black on maps but signed as single, starts with some steeps but the end has cool terrain. "Le sirop d'erable" is a blue off the top, nice and pumpy.

The views rocked, I enjoyed the town as well, all made for a nice scene.

I'm a trail nerd so I love seeing how different trails are planned, designed, constructed, and the models to sustain them. I love the community ski slope and bike trail model. And its obvious they are doing a good job designing and slowly building out, not just hacking stuff in and going willy-nilly.

The website talks about how they are hoping to make a destination and increase mileage. There is another sector they discuss, but being with the girl I had to limit my riding.

Honestly, Gaspe was the best after VBN. And because I actually had sun that day I had a great time (not to say Neilson in the light rain wasn't fun).

Muskoka
    ^^ Thank you! Quebec is doing an impressive job supporting and resourcing mtbike trail building throughout the province! Sadly not in Ontario

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    2 best places for mountain biking by a mile in New Brunswick is #1 Edmunston , and #2 Hillsborough (15 minutes outside of Moncton , you will need a guide for Hillsborough though 45 minute climbs and nice 15-25 minute descents)
    I raced throughout my youth and seen just about every area in the province ....honorable mention goes to Campbelton "Sugarloaf" if you're into bike parks.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by maclgallant View Post
    2 best places for mountain biking by a mile in New Brunswick is #1 Edmunston , and #2 Hillsborough (15 minutes outside of Moncton , you will need a guide for Hillsborough though 45 minute climbs and nice 15-25 minute descents)
    I raced throughout my youth and seen just about every area in the province ....honorable mention goes to Campbelton "Sugarloaf" if you're into bike parks.
    This Hills is the best. Try and hit Fundy Park, they just cut 3 new trails.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    This Hills is the best. Try and hit Fundy Park, they just cut 3 new trails.
    Any more intel on this? I have ridden the trail out to Goose River, and also White Horse ( I think that was the name )
    a few years back

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Trail Fork (download the app) has all the trails in Hillsborough mapped out (well almost) ... signal can be intermittent though.

Fundy only has the Whitehead trail mapped out, and just outside of fundy "alma" has the GreenSnake trail.... but honestly i would spend most of my time in Hillsborough (if you like trail/all mountain type riding)

BTW fundy and Hillsborough are 30 minutes from each other
    Last edited by maclgallant; 09-21-2017 at 11:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    just found out that Fundy Park is developing a pretty sweet trail system.... no idea on the ETA. They just finished building a pump track

Pumped at Fundy: Bikers' pump track nears completion at park - New Brunswick - CBC News

Muskoka

Nice

...to see national parks starting to jump on the mtbiking bandwagon. Finally waking up after all these years! This is a beautiful, very scenic part of the east coast and we have been here twice. The one downside has been limited mtbiking in and around Fundy so 30K of new trail would be a huge improvement over what they have and make this area even more appealing! Pics from our last visit...

https://goo.gl/photos/YkBqi3YMczya8hzK9

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Any more intel on this? I have ridden the trail out to Goose River, and also White Horse ( I think that was the name )
    a few years back
    They added a couple more trails in and on the White Tail trail a connecting Trail to the Black horse. Goose River is getting worked on now adding some single track and a nice trail from the bluff down into Goose River. Don't forget about Marvin and Chambers Lake Trail and if you don't mind hike a bike a little bit over to Bennett Lake Trail.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    They added a couple more trails in and on the White Tail trail a connecting Trail to the Black horse. Goose River is getting worked on now adding some single track and a nice trail from the bluff down into Goose River. Don't forget about Marvin and Chambers Lake Trail and if you don't mind hike a bike a little bit over to Bennett Lake Trail.
    Black Horse was a fun trail, wishing it was 3 or 4 times the length though!; I think it was about 5 K loop and we went around twice just to make it worthwhile!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Keep on Rockin...
    Tuned in.