My first 24hr: cant wait- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

My first 24hr: cant wait

So I finally got forced into my first 24hr. Email went something like this, "You are officially signed up for the 5 man team, See you then" lol. Im looking forward to it.

Any one been to check out the course? I know the weather has been crappy and its just to far for me to make it down but from looking at videos on youtube of last years, the course doesnt look terribly hard.

Im going to assume it drains well.

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    It generally does. I expect a wet spot or two, but overall with a couple of dry, sunny days before the event, I expect almost perfect conditions for the weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Good stuff. Im loking forward to it. Love riding at night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hard to believe it's been 20 years now since the first 24 Hours of Indiglo.

Anyone else on here partake in the original at Horseshoe in 1994?

Lights are about a billion times brighter and better these days.

Try and juggle yourself in the ride line up to not get the laps form around 2-4am. Those are the ones I personally hated the most. Pack all the riding shorts you own, dry chamois are nice.

Getting really drunk on the Friday night was never the best pre-race strategy but we always seem'd fall into it year after year.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post

Pack all the riding shorts you own, dry chamois are nice.

^^this.

Based on current weather patterns pack lots of extra socks and such. Rain gear of course.

One tip for Sunday. Once the race is done don't be in rush mode to leave. Everyone is leaving at the same time and rushing to get home. Take your time and let the rush leave so you can drive home more relaxed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    From my rough calculations, im on at 2am lol. What I didnt know wont hurt right... good call on the shorts. I dont drino so that should help me out...unless I get taken out by a wobbly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I really hope it doesnt rain, I have no rain gear. Im sure I can borrow some.

Just being wet and cold os t much fun for me. Fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    One tip for Sunday. Once the race is done don't be in rush mode to leave. Everyone is leaving at the same time and rushing to get home. Take your time and let the rush leave so you can drive home more relaxed.
    I could never figure out why people were always in such a panic to get out and home. Relax, have a beer, share stories about the race.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    And just in case....pack soccer cleats and a small kids bike easy to run with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Dont have a kids bike. Could probably take one from a kid when night falls. He wont even miss it. I will return it in tye morning, wait why do I need one?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Dont have a kids bike. Could probably take one from a kid when night falls. He wont even miss it. I will return it in tye morning, wait why do I need one?

About 5 years ago Roger Raincloud showed up unexpectadly with his entire family including distant relatives. It as a level of apocalyptic that would make a English Fell Runner smile with pleasure.

mtbr member
    Rode the course last night in the rain. Muddy and slick like riding on ball-bearings.
    Nice 16 km course with a couple new sections. They did a beautiful job with trail maintenance and marking.

Unfortunately, after doing quite a few of these races, the courses are very predictable. They should do the whole thing in reverse some time.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    They should do the whole thing in reverse some time.
    They did plan to do a good portion of it in reverse this year and add a fly over. Looks like its been removed. I'm not sure why.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Im going to try o make it down tonight for a pre ride. Im stumped on tires right now. I wouls love to leave the renegades on but if its muddy thats not going to happen. I have some Beavers that would do great, or good o'll Ralphs.

mtbr member
    Hard to believe it's been 20 years now since the first 24 Hours of Indiglo.

Anyone else on here partake in the original at Horseshoe in 1994?

Lights are about a billion times brighter and better these days.
    I did that race, and a few more of the 24hrs of Adrenalin that followed. I seem to recall something about a sheep on the course at night. Or perhaps that was some early morning fatigue induced hallucinations???

I was running a 10 watt BLT light with an impossibly heavy water bottle battery that was good for about an hour. Lights are much better now.

mtbr member
    About 5 years ago Roger Raincloud showed up unexpectadly with his entire family including distant relatives. It as a level of apocalyptic that would make a English Fell Runner smile with pleasure.

Nah. This will not be an 11 Hour SS:

Palgrave, Canada 7 Day Weather Forecast - WeatherBug.com
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Yup, was in that one, only got 1 lap in and they cancelled.
    Trailtrash never even got a chance to get his 1st lap. : (

Evil Jr.
    If you can swing it, the best lap is the 6AM one. In endurance motor racing, it's known as Happy Hour. You don't need your lights any more and the sun is up over the horizon. It's really special.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Lemmy Rules!
    ^^^^^This! The last lap of the race is always fun as well. I have drawn it for the past 6 years in a row. Last year I missed the cutoff by 10 seconds (and accordingly to RyanStrive about 10lb).

A couple of other pieces of random advice

1. As others have said, try and have a clean, fresh kit available for every lap. When you finish your lap and have told your team-mates you are back, go on a ride around the campsites to cool down and stretch out your legs. When you are done with that, change out of your bike shorts ASAP

2. As soon as you come in from your last daytime lap on Saturday, put the lights on your bike and make sure they work. I have an older helmet with a helmet mount I always leave on that I use for the night lap so that is a nice option if you have it. You don't wanna be fiddling around with your lights in the dark at 2am before you go out.

3. The course is nice and fun and flowy - there are just a couple of steeper climbs but it is all very rideable.

4. There are a lot of newbs out on the course doing their first race. Be encouraging and be courteous when you pass

5. McChico for breakfast Sunday morning. Trust me.

6. For my team, we would have a system where the person two riders in front woudl wake each person up for their lap when they come in from theirs. ie Rider 1 heads out on night lap, wakes rider 3 as soon as they get back so rider 3 can start getting ready, rider 2 gets back, wakes rider 4, rider 3 gets back, wakes rider 5, rider 4 gets back, wakes rider 1, rider 5 gets back and wakes rider 2 etc etc etc. It's simpler than it sounds and has worked for me and my team for the past 14 years

This will be my first time not doing a 24 hour race since 2000. I am a little sad to be missing it, but I am missing the race to do the Whiteface 100 in Lake Placid and hopefully qualify for Leadville 2015, so I have a good excuse...
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    5. McChico for breakfast Sunday morning. Trust me.
    And put LOTS of the homemade hot-pepper relish on it, especially if you still have a lap left to do...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    This will be my first time not doing a 24 hour race since 2000. I am a little sad to be missing it, but I am missing the race to do the Whiteface 100 in Lake Placid and hopefully qualify for Leadville 2015, so I have a good excuse...
    Go get 'em Barry! Oh yeah, +1 on the McChico......
    RideMFRide

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Good stuff, Thanks guys! There is breakfast ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

4. There are a lot of newbs out on the course doing their first race. Be encouraging and be courteous when you pass
    I've been that newb and now I'm that old, slow and fat guy (and possibly drunk from Friday night). The general vibe around this event is fantastic and I've always had a lot of people encouraging me along on the course. Simply awesome. It's impossible not to have fun at this event.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    I did that race, and a few more of the 24hrs of Adrenalin that followed. I seem to recall something about a sheep on the course at night. Or perhaps that was some early morning fatigue induced hallucinations???

I was running a 10 watt BLT light with an impossibly heavy water bottle battery that was good for about an hour. Lights are much better now.

Those bad boys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Those bad boys.
    Do you still have those? I would love to do a LED project with them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    No one would happen to have an 11-32 cassette laying around that they would want to bring and sell tomorrow, would they? Came across a problem today and I'm skipping under load now.

mtbr member
    Sporting Life has a super-well stocked store set up at the race. I'm sure they'll have one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Sporting Life has a super-well stocked store set up at the race. I'm sure they'll have one.
    Thanks! I knew Shimano was there for emergency support, but wasn't sure if they would sell me one. Good to know there is a vendor there that may have parts.

mtbr member
    Passed through Albion today for the start at noon, as well as tonight as a spectator and wow, I really want to join a team next year, looks like so much fun. Good luck to all MTBR'ers participating.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Internet reports state that Spak's team did well. Does this mean we will see you and Mr Unglued in the Northumberland sand pit in 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Fun race as always. Weather was perfect, ride was great. Getting forced off the trail at 3:30am wasn't fun thought. Either was riding the last 13km with a bent rotor. Overall another fantastic weekend of "camping" and racing with friends.

Lemmy Rules!
    Internet reports state that Spak's team did well. Does this mean we will see you and Mr Unglued in the Northumberland sand pit in 2 weeks.
    Doubtful for me...my family has been super understanding about my racing so far this year so I am taking the next month off racing and paying them back for their support....
    Strava made me do it....

All my faucets is Moen.
    What a great weekend. Our team was not there to chase a podium spot but we did a team preride, had a party on Friday night and got in 3 laps each so things worked out perfect. I even lucked out with a sunrise and sunset lap, wonderful time to be in the forest.

I think it was the minor changes that made the course so fun. Using the trail to come up on the back side of Sugar Shack, the mini rock gardens in HAN and the new/last section of single track.

mtbr member
    Fun weekend as usual. Arrived Friday afternoon, set up camp right along the course (just after the final road crossing). Did a pre-ride, drank some beers, had a fire. Good times.

Race was great. I've invested in the non-nights category the past couple years and I'm loving my returns. While I do miss ripping at night, I don't miss how I end up feeling for the next couple days (yes I'm weak Oggie). The weekend is far more of a social event anyway, so the no-nights makes that a little easier.

We were camped/helping out with the likes of Riotmtb who podiumed in the tag-team category. He and his partner showed some serious ballz of steelz over the duration of the race. And of course, the most liked guy in all of mtbing, Tim.M. putting us all to shame and winning the 50+ solo category. Congrats to them. Rumor has it, Riot was so tired he slept in till 4:30 am this morning.

We also introduced a newbie to the sport. G-nome was having so much fun watching the action course side, he decided to go out for our last team lap.

Straight outta Rossland

I Strava Hamburgers
    Weather was awesome. Beer was cold. Laps were quick!

I'm not sure what everyone else thought, but honestly, to me the course was the perfect mix of everything. No random elevation changes without reward, great singletrack, enough tech to keep you entertained, but not enough to put you in a dark place at 3am and the distance was perfect. Though I call shenanigans on the 5km sign.

A+ Would ride again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post

I'm not sure what everyone else thought, but honestly, to me the course was the perfect mix of everything. No random elevation changes without reward, great singletrack, enough tech to keep you entertained, but not enough to put you in a dark place at 3am and the distance was perfect. Though I call shenanigans on the 5km sign.

A+ Would ride again.
    The 5K sign always seems premature.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Just out of curiosity, I did a quick nerdy analysis on my laps based on my GPS data.

The 5 km sign came at 9.5-9.7km into the 14.4-14.7 km lap. So pretty darn close.

Consequently, I looked at my times passing through the 5km point. My time (very consistent between laps) was ~66% completed at that point.

The data suggests it's all mental.
    Straight outta Rossland

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Congrats Riot on the podium! Tag is so hard.
    Also, congrats to gmstrek who looked strong every time I saw her out there. Strong enough for 2nd solo female!

Oggie ended up on the top of the podium as well. Has Oggie ever raced without ending up on the podium?

I Strava Hamburgers
    cptsydor5kmtogotrollsign.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Was a great weekend! A course that seemed easy during the pre-ride beat the heck out of me after 24 hrs!! Was fortunate enough to end up on the podium for tag-team with my speedy partner FigNewton. And special thanks to the Rock & Road Cycle race team for taking care of me and my bike for the weekend. Everyone racing on that team this weekend ended up on the podium!! Might be a good group to hang out with??

Yes...I did sleep in to 4:30am this morning...

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Fun weekend as usual. Arrived Friday afternoon, set up camp right along the course (just after the final road crossing). Did a pre-ride, drank some beers, had a fire. Good times.

Race was great. I've invested in the non-nights category the past couple years and I'm loving my returns. While I do miss ripping at night, I don't miss how I end up feeling for the next couple days (yes I'm weak Oggie). The weekend is far more of a social event anyway, so the no-nights makes that a little easier.

We were camped/helping out with the likes of Riotmtb who podiumed in the tag-team category. He and his partner showed some serious ballz of steelz over the duration of the race. And of course, the most liked guy in all of mtbing, Tim.M. putting us all to shame and winning the 50+ solo category. Congrats to them. Rumor has it, Riot was so tired he slept in till 4:30 am this morning.

We also introduced a newbie to the sport. G-nome was having so much fun watching the action course side, he decided to go out for our last team lap.

i applaud those with swell nuts who come out and freely admit their weaknesses. takes a big man/woman to own to it. when i grow up, i hope to be like you. though, the prospect of me not ever growing up is pretty huge, according to my wife.

it was another glorious weekend of fun with the friends... managed to pass by Mr. Riot on one of his countless laps... ditto on nuts of steel for him and Fig. Fig deserves kudos just for being able to endure being on the same team with Mr. Riot, who even oxygen deprived while cranking his bike through dangerous singletrack, did not lose his somewhat questionable sense of humour in spooking me into committing a mistake after mistake before he gentlemanly let me by, just as i was getting ready to gently run him over to stop the bleeding... I doubt he slept in after the race.

He'll probably ride 130Km today. Just because he can.

No-nights option is tempting. But not yet.
    Signature

sock puppet

A+ Would ride again.
    agreed on the course layout - probably the most masterfully laid down course ever by Chico... provided for TONS of fun for everyone from beginners to pro's.
    Signature

sock puppet

14stone is mental?
    Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    Was a great weekend! A course that seemed easy during the pre-ride beat the heck out of me after 24 hrs!! Was fortunate enough to end up on the podium for tag-team with my speedy partner FigNewton. And special thanks to the Rock & Road Cycle race team for taking care of me and my bike for the weekend. Everyone racing on that team this weekend ended up on the podium!! Might be a good group to hang out with??

Yes...I did sleep in to 4:30am this morning...
    no blog? it didn't happen!
    Signature

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    14stone is mental?
    Depends on who you ask.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Blog to follow...

And, yes, thank you for not running me over.

sock puppet
    Congrats on your first 24hr race. It was nice to meet you at the event - i am glad you enjoyed it. It is one of the events that i register for - on the first day the registration is open. it is always an epic and unforgettable...

Now - you have to sign up for Crank the Shield.

You will thank me later..

Signature

mtbr member
    May 2011
    When your frame tubes are filled with water, your bike weighs an extra 20 pounds thanks to mud, and you're 3 sets of brake pads in, you will wonder where the joy of Crank the Shield is supposed to be found.

Maybe this year will be different, maybe this year will be dry...

As for the 24, race was great fun. Awesome course, and when the beer is flowing, things are always kept interesting.
    2015 Scott Foil Team Issue
    2015 Kona Process 111
    2015 Salsa Mukluk 2

I am employed by a bike shop.

sock puppet
    Depends on who you ask.
    i trust Captain!
    Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Isn't that the point in every race where some genius thinks it's the right time to start saying things like,

"Your almost there."
    "Not much further now"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Doubtful for me...my family has been super understanding about my racing so far this year so I am taking the next month off racing and paying them back for their support....
    There will be beer and cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by PolishExperiment View Post

Maybe this year will be different, maybe this year will be dry...

Your dreaming.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishExperiment View Post
    When your frame tubes are filled with water, your bike weighs an extra 20 pounds thanks to mud, and you're 3 sets of brake pads in, you will wonder where the joy of Crank the Shield is supposed to be found.
    i found the joy every time when i crossed the finish line and stuck my feet into the cold fountain water, munching on great after race foods provided by the organizer, surrounded by friends who also rode through hell sometime, in order to accomplish something to remember...

Yeah - i see your point too. it is not for everyone. if your expectation is to ride buff hardpack singletrack from start to finish - you may look elsewhere... but if your expectation is to face and conquer unexpected, and see how far you can go (which is ALWAYS MUCH FARTHER than you thought - until you tried) - then this race is the race to do...

I have done every single one of them since the first one. There were times when i was crying in pain (literally) and there were many more times when i was grinning from ear to ear in pure joy.

every time when the registration opens, my name is on it without any doubt...

doesn't really matter if it is dry or wet. it is dry or wet for everyone in the pack. and it is a great pack!
    Signature

All my faucets is Moen.
    i found the joy every time when i crossed the finish line and stuck my feet into the cold fountain water, munching on great after race foods provided by the organizer, surrounded by friends who also rode through hell sometime, in order to accomplish something to remember......

doesn't really matter if it is dry or wet. it is dry or wet for everyone in the pack. and it is a great pack!
    Well said.
    And apart from that I think the course is fantastic. It's hard to think of a section I didn't like. Crank 2012 was pretty dry except for day 1 when it rained. Of course it can rain at any race.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Race results for you perusal and over analyzation.

Chico Racing - 24 Hours of Summer Solstice 2014

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well, That was a blast! Going in I thought I had a good idea how I would feel. I was wrong lol. Did a night pre ride on Thursday, the course was perfect in my eyes. I love tech but any more and I would have spoiled it for a lot of people. What I wasn't expecting was how hard I was going to push myself. My team mates have won and podium'd a lot in the past years so some pressure was on me and the other newb on the team.

Entered in the 200-249 5 person, Normally the team has some "older" fellas on there and from the stories I heard, the toe-to-toe with Oggies team in the past years has been awesome fun. Due to the 2 younger guys (me 34 and the other 17) put us where we were. That cat was dam fast! I pushed race pace every lap and managed some decent lap times. Cramps came on for Lap 4 and 5 and I knew I was goign to get stuck with a 6th so I had to dial it back for those two. I did get the 6am lap, once out of bed and dressed, it was a lap to remember, but I liked my dusk Lap the best.

The 5km sign was always welcome for me as I knew there were only A couple hard climbs and it was rest time. The best lap was the time I thought "5km sign should be soon" only to turn the corner and see the 1km. I was so in my own world I missed it completely! What a relief it was to be that close to the end of the course and not know it.

The worst moment was being woken up for the 6am lap. I was warm and comfy, it was cold and wet out side. that was the only part that would have had me not do it again. but once dressed and in the transition area I was over it.

All in all I can see it happening again for next year. The 200-249 was an incredibly fast Cat. Wish we could have had the same battle the 2 teams in the front had but our 3rd place was well deserved! I pushed my self beyond what I though I was capable of, but I was having so much fun out there it didnt hurt. Im tired today, legs need rest and massage (wife?......probably not lol ). Cant wait to see some of the pics on Apex, OH!, I think they finally got a good pic of me (my sucking wind face doesn't lend it self well to picture taking.

Oggie Good to meet you finally! I've seen you around at the races but you're just too dam popular (busy) at ocups!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    And now for your viewing pleasure.

Lemmy Rules!
    Wow it feels weird reading this after not having been there this weekend. I am glad to
    Hear it was a great time for all concerned. I wish I could have ridden this race.

But the fact that I qualified (and by qualified I mean lucked out in he lottery) for Leadville 2015 somewhat takes the sting out of it...
    Strava made me do it....

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by VVagabond View Post
    Congrats Riot on the podium! Tag is so hard.
    Also, congrats to gmstrek who looked strong every time I saw her out there. Strong enough for 2nd solo female!

Oggie ended up on the top of the podium as well. Has Oggie ever raced without ending up on the podium?
    lol thank you dear... i do remember wondering what it takes to get up there... but the podium is never a goal, it is always the reward... once i realized that, it started to happen...

it was so good to see all the familiar smiling faces...
    Signature

mtbr member
    May 2013
    This was my team's second time at the race. (4 person mixed no nights).

Last year after every lap it was "That was horrible", "I want to die", "who is the sick bastard that but this course together"

This year all four of us were grinning ear to ear after every lap. (we each got 3). I was lucky to get the 6AM and last lap.

Can't wait for next year. We might even man up and go the full 24.

mtbr member
    For those that participated in the event, we have all of the event photos posted at the link below. We are still working on indexing and hope to have that complete by plate number within the next 1-2 days. There's lots of great locations we shot at. Enjoy!

Apex Race Photography :: 2014 24Hr Summer Solstice / 2014-06-21 :: Powered By Zoomphoto.ca
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Just out of curiosity, I did a quick nerdy analysis on my laps based on my GPS data.

The 5 km sign came at 9.5-9.7km into the 14.4-14.7 km lap. So pretty darn close.

Consequently, I looked at my times passing through the 5km point. My time (very consistent between laps) was ~66% completed at that point.

Sean won't mislead us with ill-placed signage. A hard-fought lap will make that 5K seem like an eternity. The 1K is the best sign on the course even after the rerouted section that beat up the knees and elbows.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    What is this "no nights" talk?

Is there really a category for teams to race and not do night laps?

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Yes and it's awesome.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    What is this "no nights" talk?

Is there really a category for teams to race and not do night laps?
    I didn't recall there being that category back when I helped out Circlip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Here it is...

RiotOnRacing: Summer Solstice 24 Hour MTB Relay Race Review

sock puppet

My first 24hr: cant wait

Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    Oh I am deeply honoured. Not since my Olympic endeavors someone plastered me with so many undeserved compliments in a single writeup. But I will humbly accept it and congratulate on your significant achievement. I still don't believe Fig was your partner. But I have been wrong before. We must go for an epic ride soon. Please start planning.
    Signature