My first 2012 ride.....

Printable View

  • 01-08-2012
    Bikin' Bric
    My first 2012 ride.....
    Finally got out for my first ride of 2012 on the new CX bike. Did a nice 40km loop down to PD, along the lakeshore, hit some singletrack on the CX bike, then back towards home.

    Looking out towards the Long Point bay area from the PD lighthouse.


    Conservation Area with a closed up camp ground, there be singletrack in there....






    The pond is starting to freeze up


    It was damn cold, started snowing while I was out as well but its the best January I can remember for riding.....
  • 01-08-2012
    langford
    Nice pics RA, my first ride of 2012 was a Red Hill Valley ride this morning, tried to get out before things melted, trails in the sun were starting to get a little mushy in spots. Here's a pic near Buttermilk Falls. Saw 3 urban deer a little later in the ride!


  • 01-08-2012
    rkj__
    Looks great.
  • 01-08-2012
    J.R.B
    1 Attachment(s)
    Nice bike and pics RA. I loved my cyclocross but couldn't stand going back to canti lever brakes after being spoiled by discs. Perfect bike for all the rail trails around the area.

    Took my new 29er out to Hardy today and found a new trail that a couple of hard working locals cut. My fitness was terrible and had to hike a bike some climbs and stop lots to catch my breath. Luckily my trail partners didn't mind waiting for me. Couldn't get them to sit long enough for a pic though!
  • 01-08-2012
    saturnine
    my first ride of 2012 was a 6-hour joyride at joyride on saturday. first time at joyride, first time on my 5 spot and first time on my dj setup. i had a blast.
  • 01-09-2012
    Bikin' Bric
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by J.R.B View Post
    Nice bike and pics RA. I loved my cyclocross but couldn't stand going back to canti lever brakes after being spoiled by discs. Perfect bike for all the rail trails around the area.

    Took my new 29er out to Hardy today and found a new trail that a couple of hard working locals cut. My fitness was terrible and had to hike a bike some climbs and stop lots to catch my breath. Luckily my trail partners didn't mind waiting for me. Couldn't get them to sit long enough for a pic though!

    Luckily the new Norco has BB7's on it, excellent brakes for this bike.

    What kind of shape is Hardy in? Any low mucky spots or is it pretty good? Might take the Cdale out there this week if its looking good.
  • 01-09-2012
    J.R.B
    I got out in the afternoon so the trails were a bit soft. Everything was rideable and the mud wasn't too bad. The tires I was running didn't want to shed the mud though. Was like running slicks at times.
  • 01-09-2012
    HubbaMan
    I ended up at Ravenshoe on an ice ride from heaven, or hell, depending on if you had studs or not, luckily I did :D

    Conditions were cold crisp, lots of sun and either hard pack snow or mirror surface ice covering which made for so much fun. Can't wait to go back, winter riding like this, I could do anytime!!

    Good number of other riders in the lot as well, all but one had studs and unfortunately he was leaving with a hand injury from a fall. Given the specific conditions of the day, studs were pretty much mandatory to enjoy a ride.
  • 01-09-2012
    ol-crank
    am curious about the rear hub. I am thinking of builidng
    [QUOTE=RatchAttack;8893090]Luckily the new Norco has BB7's on it, excellent brakes for this bike.

    a disc CX but am concerned about the rear hub spacing. If it is 130 there seems to be only a couple of options. Is your rear hub spacing 130 and if so do you know who's hub Norco has chosen.
    thks
  • 01-09-2012
    ccaddy
    Hey "freshly married man" .... where'd ya get the money for a cross bike ??
    Keeping secrets from her already :p
  • 01-10-2012
    Bikin' Bric
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    a disc CX but am concerned about the rear hub spacing. If it is 130 there seems to be only a couple of options. Is your rear hub spacing 130 and if so do you know who's hub Norco has chosen.
    thks

    The stock hub is just a formula, I'm actually not sure of the rear spacing, I'll have to measure it up.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Hey "freshly married man" .... where'd ya get the money for a cross bike ??
    Keeping secrets from her already :p

    Actually the wife convinced me that I should buy it, I was on the fence about a CX bike. Even though she has no interest in riding I'm glad she understands the addiction and has no problem with me blowing cash on bike stuff.
  • 01-10-2012
    Bikin' Bric
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by J.R.B View Post
    I got out in the afternoon so the trails were a bit soft. Everything was rideable and the mud wasn't too bad. The tires I was running didn't want to shed the mud though. Was like running slicks at times.

    Cool, maybe if we get a nice freeze on by the weekend I'll head out to Hardy then.
  • 01-10-2012
    ol-crank
    I found out the two frames I am interested in are both
    [QUOTE=RatchAttack;8896547]The stock hub is just a formula, I'm actually not sure of the rear spacing, I'll have to measure it up.

    135 mm so I can use any mtb hub no problem. Thanks though.
  • 01-16-2012
    cdmef
    Nice rides! My first ride was an xc in the snow and got a concussion. Not so nice.... H ada blast up until then though haha!