My 29er is on its way....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My 29er is on its way....

Finally, some news about the new bike, which I will have ready for the chico summer soltice 24 hour event...
    Parts, I've already got, rear wheel built up with speedhub, mavic 719 rim, schwable little albert 29 X2.1 tire..
    What I'm waiting for...
    Spot 29er frame, sky blue paint job, matching rigid Dekerf tuning fork, front wheel/tire.
    Still haven't decided yet on the brakes, I've some older hayes discs with the old lever design which I might put to use, but I really like the hope minis,

In the end, will I sell off all 26" stuff, probably not, but will definately thin out the bike collection

Vern

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon VernDog
    In the end, will I sell off all 26" stuff, probably not, but will definately thin out the bike collection

Vern
    i've got 10$ that says you do...

now will spot'y be made in Canada or the US???
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

spoty will be

This is probably one of the last frames to come outta BC, the frame was already made prior to the owner change, just wasn't painted and the extra cable guides put on yet...$10.bucks says I will sell off the 26'' stuff, now where do I begin???

Vern

Misfit Psycles
    This is probably one of the last frames to come outta BC, the frame was already made prior to the owner change, just wasn't painted and the extra cable guides put on yet...$10.bucks says I will sell off the 26'' stuff, now where do I begin???

Vern
    one of the last cdn...adds to the charm.

ya i've got 10$ that says you hold a yard sale by year end. i haven't been able to go back.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

wher do i start

where do I start with the 26" stuff..
    frames?
    forks?
    wheels?
    xt/xtr drivetrain bits? (8speed of course)!!

I"ll see what I can unload at the chico 24 hour event...
    Surely someone will be in need...

VernDog

mtbr member
    where do I start with the 26" stuff..
    frames?
    forks?
    wheels?
    xt/xtr drivetrain bits? (8speed of course)!!

I"ll see what I can unload at the chico 24 hour event...
    Surely someone will be in need...

VernDog
    Weeeeell, not that I condone the actions of non-profit spamming for MTBR ..... so I won't.

Some people like to take inventory, clean and ensure operation of parts, set a price either flexible or firm, then make a mailing list, or sometime's a P.M.-ing list. Other's sell here on MTBR, some on E-Bay, some on PinkBike or Craig's List ..... lot's of place's you can advertise.

Can you sell stuff at the 24H event???? (clueless - never been ..... but will this year)

You should start with wheels.

To be - congrats on the new ride. Looks like you're bit bigtime! The 29er bug consume's yet again. Looks like the SS bug was picking up the leftover's.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No Spamm intended..

Nope, not trying to spam, which is why there is no price, pic, link or for anything of the matter for parts, etc..

Fairly new to the ebay thing and have tried listing stuff on other sites, just getting of scammers trying to buy your stuff with some sorta stupid check cashing idea.

I go by the word of mouth on my stuff, my idea was to just throw some parts, eta. in the truck and have stuff avaiable at the 24 hour events.
    as for the function/reliablity of everything, well, what can i say, stuff is all good..

As for the 29er thing, well, I've raced/ridden 7 and 8speed drivetrains (2 rings up front, hence 14 and 16 sp.) and dedicated singlespeed and fixie off road for quite a few seasons,
    having used the rohloff speedhub now for a while, time to build up something new.

whilst patently waiting for everything to come in!!!

VernDog

Misfit Psycles
    whilst patently waiting for everything to come in!!!
    VernDog
    It wont kill you to keep the 26" set up for a few months after the 29 is up and running. while i still bet that you will get rid of the training wheels, you may wish to ride a few months to do an accurate comp.

ebay (despite a lot of bad press) is probably safer than the online classified, unless you complete the classified transaction in person. with ebay you (and the seller) are reasonably protected from fraud, particularly if you use paypal. values can be low and shipping high, so take warning!

i suggest selling the bits to friends and really taking them to town on price...that is what they are there for...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

29er pics

Verns 29er bike build up, pics, Rigid=pain!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Winston the bike guy
    Vernon

Are you from Cambridge? I saw a car with a custom plate that said verndog around the corner from my house when I was walking my daughter to school a few weeks ago.

Sweet build. I've got a rigid and suspended 29"er single speeds and a fisher mount tam before that. I haven't ridden 26" wheels in 5 years and don't ever picture myself going back.

mtbr member
    Hot DAMN!!!! Vern, that looks awesome! Excellent pics and parts pics, too. Is that a Rohloff back there?

Very slick stuff indeed.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies. :D

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

licencse plate

Holy crap,
    My plate is vrn dog, at the time I could only get 6 digits or letters when I wanted to get 7, hence verndog,
    Not from the cambridge area, but I've been to the hydrocut and chicopee a few times, going to get the bike a good work out next weekend at the 24 hour event,
    should be sweet

VernDog

Bored
    Riding Rigid just takes a while. Lower air pressure. I'm almost 200lbs (yes, I'm a fat pig right now) and run about 32psi. You will get used to picking your line and trying to ride smooth and light. It comes with time. Suspension has made us lazy.

Also, as a tip to loose rotational weight, I run 26" ultralite tubes in my 29" wheels.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    I'm almost 200lbs (yes, I'm a fat pig right now)
    he is...damn...i think he ate the pig in question...

rigid 29 is night and day better than rigid 26...soft 2.3 tyres help too.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

bi-winning
    That looks like a sick application for a speed hub. Nice build. Though not anything like what i ride, i can see that bike being a lot of fun.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

chico 24 hours

I going to ride the 29er at the 24 hour event, should be sweet...

Definiately lower the the air pressure down, pending course conditions,
    I'm running little albert tires, which look like a 1.9 width, as opposed to the claimed 2.1,

I just finished giving the bike a tune up,
    being new, everything loosens up and settles in.
    still will checking it over after each lap

I'll keep a look out for other 29ers, If you see me on 'big blue" say hi

VernDogger

Bored
    yeah... try getting some fatter tires like nano's, or Exi's from Peter.

I've been using Maxxis Ignitors for a while.

Where do you ride Vern???... I'm dying to try that speedhub out (please!!!!)
    MTBR is serious stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Riding areas..

Usually ride around fanshawe lake (london),
    the Pines (woodstock)
    Hydrocut (kitchener)
    waterdown (hamiltion)
    Kelso
    Hilton Falls
    and thursday nites at Bolermountain (race series)

I'll be up at the 24 hour race this weekend, been waiting for this all year!!

VernDogger

Bored
    any updates and changes? How is the bike treating you now?
    MTBR is serious stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

big wheelin,

Well, where do I start,
    I haven't been back on the "little wheels" since I've built this badboy up!
    The rigid front end really showed how lazy we've become with suspension forks,
    Gotta just plow thru but ride the front end light, (more selective with the lines)'
    My hill climbing has really improved, I've noticed quite a difference, really lean and carve thru the singletrack, the big wheels just carry more speed and roll better, The 24 hour race course was really starting to get washboarded in some sections so I was really looking for a outside line on the trail, to help carry some speed thru the singletrack.

Prolly heading up to waterdown or the hydrocut this weekend to give the bigwheels a try.

VernDogger

Space for rent...
    Well, where do I start,
    I haven't been back on the "little wheels" since I've built this badboy up!
    The rigid front end really showed how lazy we've become with suspension forks,
    Gotta just plow thru but ride the front end light, (more selective with the lines)'
    My hill climbing has really improved, I've noticed quite a difference, really lean and carve thru the singletrack, the big wheels just carry more speed and roll better, The 24 hour race course was really starting to get washboarded in some sections so I was really looking for a outside line on the trail, to help carry some speed thru the singletrack.

Prolly heading up to waterdown or the hydrocut this weekend to give the bigwheels a try.

VernDogger
    I love the "minimal" look you have going, even though you have a full range of gears at your disposal. Sweet looking bike.

A couple of questions.....
    How do those big wheels accelerate? I've read that because of the larger mass, they are not as quick out of the gate. On the flip side, once you get them going they carry speed well through the rough sections. Did you find this? I would also be interested to hear your impressions on how those big hoops roll over the rough stuff. Are they "that" much different to regular wheels?

Is this your first time with the speedhub? I've heard that once you run one, you will never go back to clunky derailleurs again. Do the 14 gears have the same spread as a 27 speed set-up?

Sorry for all questions, but I thought we could get away from the ossy/nogears love-feast. I think they are falling for each other
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

big wheel effect

Only really notice that it takes a little longer to bring the wheels up to speed (start up at a race), but once there a rolling, the big wheels just roll over just about anything, well haven't been up to Kelso/Hilton falls yet, so.... I find that I really lean a little more in the turns compared to 26'' wheeled bike, through I haven't been back on the 26' wheels for nearly a month, That will feel weird again, kinda like riding a bmx bike again,
    The speedhub is my third hub, I've been ridding on the first hub for nearly 5 years (2001) which is still running better than new, only bike witha derailler now is my road bike, which might be getting the first speedhub put on (since non disc)

Vern

Space for rent...
    Only really notice that it takes a little longer to bring the wheels up to speed (start up at a race), but once there a rolling, the big wheels just roll over just about anything, well haven't been up to Kelso/Hilton falls yet, so.... I find that I really lean a little more in the turns compared to 26'' wheeled bike, through I haven't been back on the 26' wheels for nearly a month, That will feel weird again, kinda like riding a bmx bike again,
    The speedhub is my third hub, I've been ridding on the first hub for nearly 5 years (2001) which is still running better than new, only bike witha derailler now is my road bike, which might be getting the first speedhub put on (since non disc)

Vern
    I tried Hilton Falls on my rigid SS, and it kicked my ass. With no suspension to soak up the hits (and trust me, there are lots) I eventually lose momentum and stall-out. It will be interesting to hear how those big wheels perform.
    It's only pain......

Bored
    I've riden my rigid 29'er at Hilton a few times. Its great in the rocks. You don't get stuck in the "holes and cracks" as much. I find that when I watch other riders, they try and plow through things. I try and "float" a bit more. Ride the front end light. Also try and ride the tops of the rocks, instead of through them.

As far as accelerating my 29'er... it's a non issue. After riding the 29'er for a while, I learn that I can trust the bike in corners and not have to brake as much. Hence, less need to accelerate the bike back up to speed.

To help the wheels with rotational weight, I use 26" ultra lite tubes, which saves almost 100gm per wheel over conventional 29" tubes.
    MTBR is serious stuff.

Misfit Psycles
    I've riden my rigid 29'er at Hilton a few times. I am slow as crap and people laugh at me frequently, but on my two rides this year I rocked the casba.

As far as accelerating my 29'er... it's a non issue. How fast can you accelerate with your feet flat on the ground anyway???

To help the wheels with rotational weight, I use 26" ultra lite tubes, I cut the valve stem and plug with silly putty which saves almost 1/100th gm per wheel over conventional 29" tubes. then i pluck my leg hair (not wax) b/c it gets a greater % of the roots too! (another fraction of a gramma. all this allows for three more mid ride tim bits...mmmm donuts....
    ok big boy, very enlightning post...

vern do you have an affinity for that rubber? i know the flag matches the paint but allow me to force my personal pref on you...it is mtbr afterall. give the WTB Exi Wolf a try on the front. @ 2.3 wide and high volume, they really suck up a tonne of the bumps with very little weight penalty. traction? whoooa mama!

29er tubes? they make such a thing?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rubby Rubby...

NO. not really, just really like how well made and increased traction difference there is with any european made tire/compound, be it Michelin, Conti, Hutchinson, schwalbe tires, Thats just my preference based on many years of riding/racing xc, For a while, I'll I used were conti crosscountry 1.5 which is a very fast tire, I will give the exipro's a try, but I want to get some conti vapors 29 x 1.8 or 2.1, running a big fattie up front would mean more resistance (slower) would I notice it, dunno, haven't tried that yet, I usully have before run a wider tire up front say a 2.1 and a narrow 1.8 to 1.95 in the back, however, I don't get caught up in tread patterns/designs, I'ts the compound of the tires which is what I look into first...And I'm still using 100 plus year technology, The basic inner tube...works well enough for me

VernDogger

Misfit Psycles
    running a big fattie up front would mean more resistance (slower) would I notice it, dunno, haven't tried that yet
    the larger volume/patch (probably) adds resistance to be sure BUT it also adds comfort and greater traction, both increase my average speed - not to mention comfort. i usually match it up with a 2.1 wtb nano in the back.

keep me posted on the various rubber you try too, actual live trail tested reviews for southern ON are few and far between...we could be here all month waiting for timmy turtle to give us insight...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    the larger volume/patch (probably) adds resistance to be sure BUT it also adds comfort and greater traction, both increase my average speed - not to mention comfort. i usually match it up with a 2.1 wtb nano in the back.

keep me posted on the various rubber you try too, actual live trail tested reviews for southern ON are few and far between...we could be here all month waiting for timmy turtle to give us insight...
    I went from 2.1 Panaracers (front/rear) to 2.24 Mutano Raptors and noticed a huge difference. Even though I run the 2.24's at a much lower pressure (30/33 versus 42/45), they roll faster. Don't know if it because of the closer block pattern, or just the shape of the tread. Once I get on the rough stuff, they blow the Panaracer away in terms of grip (except wet rocks/roots )

As you say, the higher volumes REALLY make a big difference to comfort. Rigid/Aluminum can make for a rough ride, but these tires have helped soften the vibration considerably. Now only if they could help me climb better
    It's only pain......

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    keep me posted on the various rubbers you try too, I've been waiting here all month waiting for timmy turtle to touch me inside...
    Wow onegearqueer.. How very liberal of you...

(if this post doesn't get me banned, I don't know what will)....
    MTBR is serious stuff.

Bored

Tire thing

Its a misconception that a narrower tire is always faster. The wider a tire is, the lower air pressure is required to keep the tire from deforming. Therefore, a 55mm tire at 32psi will actually have less deformation than a 45mm tire at 32psi. The tire with less deformation will end up rolling faster. That's why crap magazines like MBA keep pushing for tires with more volume.

BTW.. try Maxxis Ignitors. They roll fast, corner well, have great volume, and are not much smaller than an Exiwolf.
    MTBR is serious stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bigger tire

Might just have to try a bigger (front ) tire on the 29er, though my frame and fork are steel which is more forgiving then aluminum, but I wasn't going to go Ti for a fork, based on others experience (flex, breakage,etc).

The trails are very dry and dusty, turning to sand, we need some rain bad...

Quote Originally Posted by SSteve F
    I went from 2.1 Panaracers (front/rear) to 2.24 Mutano Raptors and noticed a huge difference. Even though I run the 2.24's at a much lower pressure (30/33 versus 42/45), they roll faster. Don't know if it because of the closer block pattern, or just the shape of the tread. Once I get on the rough stuff, they blow the Panaracer away in terms of grip (except wet rocks/roots )

As you say, the higher volumes REALLY make a big difference to comfort. Rigid/Aluminum can make for a rough ride, but these tires have helped soften the vibration considerably. Now only if they could help me climb better

Misfit Psycles
    Its a misconception that a narrower tire is always faster. The wider a tire is, the lower air pressure is required to keep the tire from deforming. Therefore, a 55mm tire at 32psi will actually have less deformation than a 45mm tire at 32psi. The tire with less deformation will end up rolling faster. That's why crap magazines like MBA keep pushing for tires with more volume.

BTW.. try Maxxis Ignitors. They roll fast, corner well, have great volume, and are not much smaller than an Exiwolf.
    mmmmeeeeeowwww. but true...crap mags...funny butt true.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tire changing

Soon with all the 29 er tire choices, I'll end up like with what I have in shed now, a bazillion 29er tires to choose from, already have a sh--t load load 26'" tires sitting in there..
    Everything from farmer johns to maxxis dh rollers

I agree with your (wider) tire theroy, from my Ford ranger , I'd fit the fattest tires that would fit on the rims (low Profile) say a P225 70R 15 to a 255 60R 15 whilst still maintaining (close to) the same overall demension (O.D.) and would get way better handling and control, drivability if you will...

So, when it comes time to swap out tires, I'll definately will try out the others to see what works and what doesn't...

Don't get caught up in that semislick (preworn) tire fad, Marketing fad....geehs..

Members who have read this thread: 0