http://travel.nationalgeographic.com...r-2011-photos/

bring your bike
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

Ottawa
    May 2011
    By NatGeo nonetheless....NICE!

We have a cottage just north of Huntsville. Great area for all things outdoorsy!

mtbr member
    i bet all your awsome posts swayed the vote BCD

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash
    i bet all your awsome posts swayed the vote BCD
    Ha!!... thanks for that!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

sock puppet
    mmmm... progressive trails...

platform pedals.... buckwallow... taboo...

ok, time to wake up... dammit, i am still in toronto...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    They've cast a wide net with calling Algonquin or Georgian Bay in the Muskoka's.

"unplugged pace that’s a world away from Canada’s largest city" - This describes the Georgian Bay area I grew up cottaging, but none of the Muskoka I've visited.

sock puppet
    don't be jealous now that you left us...

mtbr member
    Muskoka's getting pretty busy but you can still find a quiet spot if you know where to look.

I do all my camping in the kawartha lakes now, there is still lots of escaping to be had there within a couple hour drive.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by akura
    Muskoka's getting pretty busy but you can still find a quiet spot if you know where to look.
    Exactly, you have to get off "the beaten path". The put-in for this Muskoka canoe trip is within minutes of home, yet the only people we saw once we portaged out of the 1st "cottaged" lake was the dude with the float plane who flew into one of these lakes for an afternoon of fishing...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Evil Jr.
    That's quite cool. I would have loved to have the job of coming up with that result though! (Minneapolis at 4 is a bit of surprise. I'm there like twice a month these days and it ain't THAT great. )

I can't believe they didn't mention a single thing about purple Pugleys!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    I can't believe they didn't mention a single thing about purple Pugleys!
    Yea that's right!...they just don't KNOW!!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Since BDC is posting canoe trip pics in the Muskoka area, I'll play along as well (namely cause I just finished packing all my gear for a 3 day trip this weekend, yippee).

This isn't the classic 'Muskoka' (outside the 69/11 corridor), but well within what people classify as cottage country and less than 2 hours from Toronto (and likely in the approximate region as BDC). As with what BDC said, after portaging out of the first lake with cottages, it was freedom.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Beautiful pictures BCD. I noticed the Optimus 8r - haven't seen one in a long time, what a great little stove, I used one for many years.

[/QUOTE]

mtbr member
    First of all amazing photos, amazing boats, and amazing adventures I'm sure.
    Second now I really want to go canoe tripping again, I led trips in northern ontario and eastern Manitoba for a few years and it was amazing, the pictures of miscoka remind me a bit of quetico large sections of Canadian shield and amazing forests.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy
    Beautiful pictures BCD. I noticed the Optimus 8r - haven't seen one in a long time, what a great little stove, I used one for many years.

I notice in this shot too that you're filtering your coffee. Our version of "camp coffee" is somewhat less gear-intensive. We just just boil the grounds in the water and then "shock" them down to the bottom with a cup of cold water. You have to pour carefully (and you might have to spit a ground or two) but it tastes like nothing else on earth!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy
    Tommy, it's actually the 111-B and I have had it close to 40 yrs(time flies)!! Repainted the case once and I have to replace the leather pump washer every 4 seasons or so. You are absolutely right, I have tried numerous stoves over the years, and keep coming back my Optimus
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 05-05-2011 at 09:38 AM.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    I just finished packing all my gear for a 3 day trip this weekend, yippee).
    Hmmm, early MAy, ice just out...chasing speckles?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    Hmmm, early MAy, ice just out...chasing speckles?
    Maybe, just maybe.

Mostly for the canoe trip, but I have a rod and trout kit packed.

Muskoka
    I notice in this shot too that you're filtering your coffee. Our version of "camp coffee" is somewhat less gear-intensive. We just just boil the grounds in the water and then "shock" them down to the bottom with a cup of cold water. You have to pour carefully (and you might have to spit a ground or two) but it tastes like nothing else on earth!
    I LOVE camp coffee, and when with a group always make it. Usually have one guy spinning around with the pot to spontaneous clapping, singing, & foot stompin' to settle the grounds

But when it's just Bonnie and I (she doesn't drink coffee) I have found filter method works best for just one cup. The filter holder fits inside the smallest pot of my nesting cookset.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    I don't drink coffee, but rumor has it, this has been shoved into the bottom of a pack to sip on over the campfire.

Looking for Adventure
    Always knew it. Not sure if it really needs any more publicity. Getting a little retarded these days with all the new rich money; big mansions, manicured lawns, big boats, luxury cars, big egos, and all the high brow attitude.

You now have to work a lot harder to get away from them!

Much prefer the Lake of Bays and Haliburton area. Much more sanity!

BCD, just keep those photos under tighter wraps so the uber spender crowd doesn't see them...
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Always knew it. Not sure if it really needs any more publicity. Getting a little retarded these days with all the new rich money; big mansions, manicured lawns, big boats, luxury cars, big egos, and all the high brow attitude.
    If all the hubbub is getting you down, you can scoot just another hour or two further north and all the ruggedness you might want is just at your doorstep. Both the Sudbury and North Bay areas offer a lot of the same awesomeness with a way more blue-collar atmosphere.

Looking for Adventure
    If all the hubbub is getting you down, you can scoot just another hour or two further north and all the ruggedness you might want is just at your doorstep. Both the Sudbury and North Bay areas offer a lot of the same awesomeness with a way more blue-collar atmosphere.
    Doesn't have to be blue collar. What ever happened to the old moneyed folks who would arrive quietly in their old model high end SUV, sit on the dock and read or quietly listen to music. The ones that would be out there in white water on their Hobie Cat or Laser sailboat, or exploring in their gorgeous hand crafted canoe, or slowly cruising the lake in a nice but moderate sized runabout. The ones that would have an amazing BBQ on their deck and invite folks over for some good conversation and wine. And then disappear the next day for a full day hike with friends.

Not many of those left in Muskoka

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've done a lot of skiing in the area of Gibson/Six Mile Lake, but haven't canoed the area since my days at summer camp. I'm guessing Turtle Lake, Brotherson Lake? Great photos as always.

My supervisor cruises Lake Rosseau in a handbuilt electric runabout with displacement hull. Similar to a Ditchburn for style, but slower. His grandfather bought and built the original property.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    I don't drink coffee, but rumor has it, this has been shoved into the bottom of a pack to sip on over the campfire.

I don't often drink coffee but when I do, it's Glenmorangie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thank you for the beautiful pictures BCD, i'll have to put Muskoka on my very lengthy to do list.
    Life is about the journey, not the destination

09 Trek EX8
    10 Trek 4500D

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay.
    I've done a lot of skiing in the area of Gibson/Six Mile Lake, but haven't canoed the area since my days at summer camp.
    Are you with the Five Winds?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Temagami - Lady Evelyn area is our preferred destination. But when we want to be close to home we have found far more solitude and fantastic campsites in Muskoka as compared to say APP, just by getting off the mainstream routes and exploring into "canoe-access-only" lakes. Not a lot of people consider portaging to be fun, and even fewer own floatplanes.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

FeelIng Cranky!
    I love the Parry Sound Area. It's one of the most beautiful places ever. I have never seen a sky this this elsewhere at 10:45 pm in July

mtbr member
    Hmm, this is in the same list as Minneapolis (#5) and I know there are hundreds (if not thousands) of places I would like to travel too before Minneapolis for a vacation. But Muskoka is definitely a cool place!
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by jrastories
    First of all amazing photos, amazing boats, and amazing adventures I'm sure.
    Second now I really want to go canoe tripping again, I led trips in northern ontario and eastern Manitoba for a few years and it was amazing, the pictures of miscoka remind me a bit of quetico large sections of Canadian shield and amazing forests.
    Thank you! In the last 2 years (for several reasons) we have also not been able to wet our paddles as much as we would really like. I hope we can begin to rectify that this year.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Looking for Adventure
    Yeh, amazing how the increase in latitude makes an amazing difference in sunset times during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck50
    I love the Parry Sound Area. It's one of the most beautiful places ever. I have never seen a sky this this elsewhere at 10:45 pm in July

humber river advocate
    traffic is a nightmare to get up there and back if you are coming from any where below barrie
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    Temagami - Lady Evelyn area is our preferred destination. But when we want to be close to home we have found far more solitude and fantastic campsites in Muskoka as compared to say APP, just by getting off the mainstream routes and exploring into "canoe-access-only" lakes. Not a lot of people consider portaging to be fun, and even fewer own floatplanes.
    used to do alot of hunting/fishing in the temagami river/red cedar lake area back in the day. i hated coming in on a float plane, was always a bit touchy. i would rather load the decoys/dog/camping gear on a zodiac i had with a 20 merc... put on the parka and go in from highway 64.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Muskoka
    Nifty little coffee maker right here...
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/23423134?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="450" height="253" frameborder="0"></iframe>

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Members who have read this thread: 0