MTB Park in Mississauga- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

MTB Park in Mississauga

Source: theride.ca

Just thought Id pass along the info, winter will be over soon!!!
    Cheers,
    Smiley

Mississauga MTB Park Is Official

Source: OCA/Joanne Uhlmann

We here at the OCA are pleased to announce that after a lengthy negotiation process, the plan for a mountain bike "Challenge Park" in Mississauga is officially in the works.

The hydro corridor, which will be the location of the park, is 8.4 acres and is located on the north side of Highway 403 between the railroad tracks and Culham Trail.

The goal is to have this project underway by July with the help of some community cyclists and qualified trail builders who will be developing a design over the next couple of months.

IMBA will be doing a Trails Solutions 2 day course April 2 & 3 with Forestry and Parks assisting in terms of equipment, raw materials and small machinery.

If you wish to get involved, please contact either Luc or Jamie at Cyclepath or Joanne Uhlmann.

Jamie at Cyclepath:
    Phone: 416-875-7313

Or

Joanne Uhlmann,
    Sports Administrator
    City of Mississauga
    300 City Centre Drive, 2nd Floor
    L5B 3C1

Phone: 905-896-5346

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Wha?

Holy Crap! Someone actually reads my website!?

Too cool.
    this space left intentionally blank

May 2004

What kind of riding??

Is this going to be mainly XC trails??? Will there be some obstacles/stunts??
    Does anyone know?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrazo
    Is this going to be mainly XC trails??? Will there be some obstacles/stunts??
    Does anyone know?

My understanding is there will be man-made and natural "stunts".
    this space left intentionally blank

mtbr member

well it's about time

that someone takes this on in Ontairo, I hope it works out for them ... coolio!

Clem

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004

Good job!

SOLID...right in my back yard ... I guess building **** in erindale park helped push the burocrats of the fence and realize that we're NOT going away
    can't wait to see this happen... GOOD NEWS
    I Ride, I Know

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    which cyclepath is involved in this
    I Ride, I Know

mtbr member

im guessing the burnhamthorpe location

Quote Originally Posted by TT.
    which cyclepath is involved in this

im guessing the burnhamthorpe location, cant think of any closer ones

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004

Good job!

yea, I guess so.. the 416 # threw me off, plus I never met Jamie... it's been a while since my last visit
    awsome bunch of guys BTW, I've been buggin' em for years to get involved in the erindale park trails
    I Ride, I Know

livin' large
    That's great, apparently some folks are attempting to do something similar here in Georgetown.

Feb 2004

bike park

wow interest is growing in this. Thank you to all interested in the park. To answer a few questions yes it is the burnhamthorpe cyclepath that is involved (im the guy with the stretched ears). The park will feature north shore styled drops and ladders, a dirt jump section that will hopefully have a small and medium sized rhythym sections, a table top in a natural bowl area and a trials section. There will be an xc loop around the park that will link up with the chatahm trail as well as some trails in erin dale park for the xc guys. The focus of the park is aggressive riding and will hopefully provide fun and challenging sections for riders of all skill levels. To all interested in getting in on the building e-mail me at tuggie40(at)hotmail.com or stop by the shop.

Thanks
    James Reid

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's so awesome, I'd definitely like to help out building something like this. I sent you an email, Jamie....

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    what's wrong with yer ears bud
    I Ride, I Know

Feb 2004
    its more of a joke at the shop, some customers know me only as the guy with the stretched ears, and when people are reffered to me theyre usually told to find the guy with the big ears. Sorry to any one who hasent recieved an e-mail from me but I will have more information later in the week after a meeting with the city representatives. After that I'll send one explaining where we are with the planning, designing, materials etc. Thanks for all the interest and plaese spread the word. The more volunteers the better the park.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

... and if we just ...

Are you guys going to teach people how to build everything, i dont know about everyone else but i havent a clue how to build bike stunts. but when its done i cant wait to try my new sasquatch on it

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Challenge Park update

An information sharing/gathering meeting was held last night with Jamie (Cyclepath) and Joanne (Mississauga Parks ). Im guessing around 30 like minded people showed up, and to my amazement not just local riders.

There plan is to build something for everyone within the hydro lot, from an XC loop, dirt jumps, some freeride, a trials section

My thanks out to Jamie and Joanne (and all others involved) for getting the ball in motion

The point that came across is the park will only be as good as you/we make it. Im sorry, I forget some of the names but there was a lot of riders with previous trail building experience in many different disciplines and others who just want to be a part of something really cool

If you were there last night, what did you think?

If you were not there last night, I.M.B.A is holding a trail buiding day April 2nd and 3rd, I would encourage all to come help build. Or if you can contribute other ways, please get involved. Ideas on what you want to see/ride at the park, drawings of stunts (teeters, drops/jumps whatever!)

History in the making....

Cheers

Jun 2004
    I'm in Niagara so can't come out there...though i would like to - i have friends in Mississauga so i'll be riding the trails out there occasionally...i'd like to see a nice XC loop... for all us XC riders out there

Aug 2004
    sweet! ont need some good mtbing!

Jun 2004
    most of the places to go biking are a fair ways away out..this will give us somewhere local thats good to bike..in niagara we have some decent riding in shorthills

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    looks like May 7th for the next build day... but hey floppy..I mean tuggy, lemme know if ya wanna head out earlier...build some off the wall smit
    I Ride, I Know

Feb 2004

floppy

lol, floppy? werent you on a road bike the other day? hows the spandex treating you? lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TT.
    looks like May 7th for the next build day... but hey floppy..I mean tuggy, lemme know if ya wanna head out earlier...build some off the wall smit
    "Next build day"?? Was there a first build day?? In that case, so much for signing my name, giving my email address and volunteering... Why was there a meeting of volunteers held then if in the end not everyone interested is notified??

Arek

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    me... on a road bike....wearing spandex....... NEVAH'
    damnit... are my wheels ready... I need to hit the dirt
    I Ride, I Know

Feb 2004
    Im sorry you werent contacted regarding the first build days on april 2nd and 3rd. Im sure it was just an oversight on either Joanne's or my behalf. No one is being excluded and please dont feel that showing up to the meeting was a waste. The next build day is May 7th. You can contact Joanne too make sure youre informed of any upcoming work on the park [email protected].

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It was fun and the park is lookin spiffy. once mores stunts are built it will be wicked cool.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I signed up to help too, but didn't hear back. Too bad...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    Yeah, I signed up to help too, but didn't hear back. Too bad...
    Yeah, Shibby, thanks for chiming in. I was waiting for someone else to say that. I wonder how many more people are out there who put down their name/email, but were "accidentally" not contacted, for neither the walkthrough (which was to take place just days after the meeting), the IMBA trail building course, or the first build day?...

I'll say now what I thought about this from the very beginning, as the first meeting at Tim Hortons unfolded. By the second part of the evening, after all present participants had introduced themselves, I noticed a shift from the whole thing having the initial feeling of this spontaneous, all-ideas-and-suggestions-being-welcome thing. Unfortunatelly, it seemed that Joanne from the City of Mississauga kind of took a a step back before long, and that's when I noticed it getting kind of weird. James from Cyclepath started talking in a small circle with (surprise, surprise) folks that had something concrete to bring in to the table - a backhoe, other heavy equipment, extensive trail building experience, dirt jump expertise... etc... - in a word, with people that HAD to be involved to get this thing going.

All that would be fine, and I understand that they were key people there, but my feeling was that all of as present there should have been included in the conversation, and any initial plans/ideas. And many of "non-key" participants had something to offer, whether it's ideas, some experince, or a pair of hands and a hammer and a shovel.
    It seemed that it quickly became apparent who are the people that you absolutely CAN NOT do without; the rest of the "normal" riders were kind of left outside the discussion, looking in from behind.
    Instead of emphasizing the importance of everyone's presence there, and appreciation for voluntary involvment, what unfolded in my eyes was a quick selection of who's on "THE IN TEAM" and who's not...

I'll say the harshest thing in this rambling so far now, and God forgive me if I'm wrong and misjudging here, but the overall impression I got by the end of that night is that the whole park idea will end up being James' pet project, and he wants to make sure that noone else takes as much credit for the involvment as he will... Sure, more people may be involved after the general image of the whole build will take shape. After all, you need man power to carry wood, clean up brushes, and shovel the dirt...

James, forgive me if I'm totally wrong in my assesment, but that's exactly what it looked like, and I wasn't alone in seeing it like that. A few others that were close to were I was sitting expressed similar observations. And now the fact that we were not contacted, only reassures me in that position.
    And exactly how did it happen that we (I now know of 3 people) were never contacted with details of the walkthrough, planning, or the first build day?? I and a friend that came with me were the first 2 names on the list, and put down all the contact info. I even asked James later on, when it was clear that there won't be anymore general, all-inclusive discussion, how was he going to contact us with the dates and info (since it was Joanne who collected the names for the IMBA course purposes, I suppose - which none of us were notified about either, BTW), and he assured me that he will get the emails from her.

Somehow, by then I knew it wouldn't happen. I said that to my friend who came with me, and he initially said that I'm jumping to conclusions, and reading into it.
    Seems that there was something to it after all though, unfortunatelly...

James, perhaps you could chime in and explain your position in a bit more detail than your previous post.

Also, I'd really like to hear from others who feel they were left out of the process. At the beginning of the whole thing, I was really enthusiastic about the project, and wanted to help out, but unfortunatelly the bubble burst for me, and I feel a bit bitter about it. I can find other ways to spend my energy than being there just for labor, with no real imput in what's happening. Cause that's what I though was the idea from the beginning. Guess I was wrong...

Arek

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I didn't hear about this park untill just recently but, I feel sorry of all those that wanted to help but where never given the information they needed to be a part of it..

With that said, I have a few simple questions,

is this park open for riding?
    if not when is it planned to open?
    will there be an entrance fee?
    is there a website for the park where we can follow the progress, get directions etc?

mtbr member

open space

Quote Originally Posted by Turt99
    I didn't hear about this park untill just recently but, I feel sorry of all those that wanted to help but where never given the information they needed to be a part of it..

With that said, I have a few simple questions,

is this park open for riding?
    if not when is it planned to open?
    will there be an entrance fee?
    is there a website for the park where we can follow the progress, get directions etc?
    Its an open field (Hydro cut) north of 403 off the Culham trail. To call it a mountain bike park is a little misleading. Its not that big of an area.

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    jeez... instead of typing an essay, just pick up the phone and call someone to get the info yer looking for
    keep in mind...these ppl have full time jobs, and they're doing this in their spare time for US (local riders)...The shop isn't exactly low volume either , and with the customer support those guys offer it's amazing James even has time to sleep. I'm sure Joanne is just as busy... We should appreciate that she even allowed this to happen this is still city owned, so it' s not going to be anything off the wall (trust me... I tried convincing him ) and with mofo's like Peeon "the ambulance chaser" running around and sueing ppl, it's prolly for the best...
    according to the Mississauga news, there were plenty of ppl who showed up for the first build, so the messages must have gone out....
    May 7th is the date...hope to see everyone there
    Last edited by TT.; 04-13-2005 at 07:55 PM.
    I Ride, I Know

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hmmm, I didn't get the email about the meeting in the first place. There's a good chance it got lost in a Hotmail filter or something. I would still like to help out with building though, I'll probably stop by the shop and get some info...