Mountain biking in the Georgian Bay Area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mountain biking in the Georgian Bay Area?

Hi! I'll be in the Georgian Bay Area first week of June with 3 roadie friends. I'm wondering if I should bring my mountain bike and hit some mtb trails in the area as well... I was looking on trail fork and it seems there's some trail in this area. If anyone can point me in the right direction...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2017 Devinci Hatchet Carbon
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport
    2019 Ibis Ripmo spring '19...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Where exactly are you going? Lots of riding to do, but Georgian Bay is a big area... :P

mtbr member
    I'm not sure... My friend (who's the worse mountain biker of history)was there last year so he as some local knowledge. He said road riding was good around Collingwood (Blue mountain?) but the town was not the best place to stay? We might sleep in different hotel depending on where we are riding, or rent a RBNB house in a central location...
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yeah the road riding around Collingwood/Blue Mountain area is pretty good, probably best in the area. Lots of big hills, some views and curving roads. Weekend traffic can be hectic though.

For mountain biking there are lots of options, depending how far you want to drive. I'd say Barrie is the best central location to them all. And barrie has lots of hotel options and a half decent patio bar night life. Water might be warm enough to swim at the beach in June too.

Mountain biking in the area can range from easy mellow riding to fast and tight to tech and rocky.

Out towards Collingwood you have 3 Stage (aka Pretty River Valley). Variety of trails and some tech stuff going down the escarpment with big climbs.

You also have Kolapore Uplands nearby; I'd say this place is all advanced trail. The entire place is littered with rock and has big climbs and fun downs. Both 3 Stage and Kolapore can be treacherous when its wet because of the clay.

Collingwood also has Blue Mountain which is lift accessed DH. Though not DH like out in Quebec...

South of Collingwood and West of Barrie you have a spot called Dufferin Forest. This place is fun. Not much of anything technical, but great flowing and fast trails. It is sandy here so can be ridden in the wet or rain.

To the north of Barrie you have a few spots; Copeland Forest/Horseshoe Valley, Simcoe County Mountain Bike Club trails, Hardwoodhills, Buckwallow and Porcupine Ridge.

Copeland Forest and Horseshoe are across the street from each other. Horseshoe is a small ski resort with short lift accessed DH; not worth the visit in my opinion. Copeland is across the street and has some of the best trail riding in the area. Long climbs (compared to other places in area) and long descents. Nothing is signed and it is a spider web of trails, but it's all on TrailForks. Lots of variety in there. Just a ton of fun.

Simcoe County Club trails are down the road from Copeland and are more mellow, mostly signed and flowing trails. Nothing spectacular, but they are fun and long trails.

Hardwoodhills is not too far again from the Simcoe club trails. It is a pay per day spot and features XC trails mostly. I don't ride here, so can't really comment. Personally I think the other local trails are just as good, if not better. But it's a good option for a spin if you don't want to plan anything.

Buckwallow and Porcupine Ridge are a little further North, but off some of the most technical riding in the area. They both feature lots and lots of rock riding on the canadian shield. Buckwallow has everything from family friendly trail to super duper tech rock trails. Tons of fun. Costs a few dollars to ride here, but the guy that's owns the place keeps it in absolutely perfect condition. Porcupine Ridge is all tech riding, I'd say all advanced. But is similar to Buckwallow; rocks and tech and roots. Porcupine is reopening this summer after being in limbo for a while, so who knows what it'll be like.

I would get TrailForks. Except for the Simcoe County club trails, almost everywhere is mapped out on TrailsForks. Some are better mapped than others, but it's a good reference point.

Hopefully that helps a little! Lots of mountain biking in the area for sure.

mtbr member
    Wow! Thanks for your time... I think I'll bring my mtb! I'll have a new bike so it would be hard to leave it home anyway. I don't mind paying for riding, here in Quebec City I only ride paying trail systems (VBN and SDM)
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    some great suggestions in this thread, but
    ...... you can come now and ride ON Georgian Bay😉

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TT. View Post
    some great suggestions in this thread, but
    ...... you can come now and ride ON Georgian Bay
    Nice!!! But I have something similar a little bit closer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain biking in the Georgian Bay Area?-img_5970.jpg  

2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    amazing, where is that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TT. View Post
    amazing, where is that?
    Montmagny, banks of St-Laurence River near Quebec City
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Thanks Canadmos! I had a great time riding Buckwallow! You surely earn every km there! So much turn and tech stuff, no time to relax! I might ride Dufferin later this week because it's gonna be a cold, windy and wet week... Not that good for road riding
    2015 Salsa Blackborow 1
    2009 Spec Tricross Sport

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisQC View Post
    Thanks Canadmos! I had a great time riding Buckwallow! You surely earn every km there! So much turn and tech stuff, no time to relax! I might ride Dufferin later this week because it's gonna be a cold, windy and wet week... Not that good for road riding
    Sweet, glad you had a good time.

Dufferin can be ridden in the rain, so it'll be a good one!