Mountain bike lessons / clinics- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Mountain bike lessons / clinics

I'm looking for anyplace in the central Ontario area that offers lessons, clinics camps etc. I mainly do XC riding. I've searched online and haven't found anything lined up for this year. Ideally a wmeekend 2 day course would be great.

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sacred rides offers excellent clinics I took one at Buckwallow last year it was great

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

mtbr member
    wowmtb.co also does great clinics, they tend to just do private ones now, but if you know a few people that are interested they could work something out for you...

Evil Jr.
    +1 for both Sacred Rides and WOW. We've benefitted a lot from some really well-run clinics.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Sacred Rides runs weekly clinics in the Don as well as more in-depth weekend clinics.

If you're lucky enough to be a lady, the Trek Store has women's clinics. Also, Rosepedals offers women's coaching.

For racing, Chico offers learn-to-race clinics early in the season.

You can also arrange private lessons through Joyride150.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by badger2071
    I'm looking for anyplace in the central Ontario area that offers lessons, clinics camps etc. I mainly do XC riding. I've searched online and haven't found anything lined up for this year. Ideally a wmeekend 2 day course would be great.
    What type of skills you wanting to improve?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I want to impove all my skills as my mountain biking experience is fairly limited. I want my wife to do some more biking too as she has even less mountain biking experience than me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    +1 for both Sacred Rides and WOW. We've benefitted a lot from some really well-run clinics.
    Did you do one of the weekend Buckwallow / Hardwood clinics?

Also, on the Hardwood link I see that Hardwood offers 2 hour lessons in three different experience levels. Has anyone tried anyone of these lessons?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I want to impove all my skills as my mountain biking experience is fairly limited. I want my wife to do some more biking too as she has even less mountain biking experience than me.
    Clinics are a good especially as you have someon watching you and making adjustments

But keep in mind alot of the skill development occurs on your own. Basically get out and ride your bike. Not getting frustrated when you don't get it.

One thing you can do now is working on your balance. Go to a parking lot and rid the painted lines. Trying to keep the tires on the paint. An a you get better you can move up to riding curbs with the goal of getting farther along each time. Practice your left and right turns. See how tight you can make them.

Skills especially technical skills take alot of practice to develop. But by putting in the time you will be rewarded with beter trail rides in the future.

If you can get it Art of Trials DVD breaks the skills down. And are transferable to the trails.

And of course the other developer of skills. Simply riding with people who are more skilled then you.

Th two books of skills are Mastering MTB Skills and the new one The Mountain Bike Skills Manualn by Clive Forth out of the UK. It's kind of sad how little in the realm of cycling books there is on skills. It's all about builing a beter engine. But without the skills a better engine is useless.

mtbr member
    The Mountain Bike Ontario Festival at Kelso July 16th will have Sacred Rides Skills sessions for beginner to advanced. We haven't worked out all the details yet but, it will be approx 90 minute sessions focusing on 1 or 2 skills and at a great price. Its not a 2 day clinic but, it will give you a good taste of clinics and what Sacred Rides can offer. I took their course at Buckwallow last year and it was good but, really depends on your instructor.

The Norco Silent DH team is also doing FREE clinics (spots limited) at the Festival. We will also have guided rides for all levels including women's and kids rides by GORBA, HCC and DMBA. There will be a pump track, Jump Air Bag and Joyride 150 is building a big skills park, so its a great opportunity to test your skills and learn with a bunch of other people. One of the focuses of the Festival is a environment where you can improve your skills so try and come out.
    Defiant MTB

2008 Yeti 575 Carbon Team Turquoise

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    Clinics are a good especially as you have someon watching you and making adjustments

But keep in mind alot of the skill development occurs on your own. Basically get out and ride your bike. Not getting frustrated when you don't get it.

One thing you can do now is working on your balance. Go to a parking lot and rid the painted lines. Trying to keep the tires on the paint. An a you get better you can move up to riding curbs with the goal of getting farther along each time. Practice your left and right turns. See how tight you can make them.

Skills especially technical skills take alot of practice to develop. But by putting in the time you will be rewarded with beter trail rides in the future.

If you can get it Art of Trials DVD breaks the skills down. And are transferable to the trails.

And of course the other developer of skills. Simply riding with people who are more skilled then you.

Th two books of skills are Mastering MTB Skills and the new one The Mountain Bike Skills Manualn by Clive Forth out of the UK. It's kind of sad how little in the realm of cycling books there is on skills. It's all about builing a beter engine. But without the skills a better engine is useless.

I second the Art of Trials DVD and Mastering MTB skills book. Internet is also a good resource for tips and skills. Check this out:

No substitute for time practicing on the bike though, something I need to put into practice myself =)
    Defiant MTB

2008 Yeti 575 Carbon Team Turquoise

Evil Jr.
    Did you do one of the weekend Buckwallow / Hardwood clinics?
    We did the Buckwallow one four (?) years ago. Tons of fun and instruction was available at a wide-range of levels!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I took 2 lessons with sacred rides, and they were little more than guided tours at Don - pretty useless. Took a lesson at Hardwood - that was better, but not great either.
    Best bung for the buck for me was that "Mastering MTB skills" book.

Members who have read this thread: 0