More Govt. control..bastar@S- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 42 of 42
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    413

    ... and if we just ... More Govt. [email protected]

    Helmet Law Introduced in Ontario Legislature

    Source: Canadian Cyclist

    MPP John Milloy (Kitchener Centre) has introduced a bill (129) to amend the "Highway Traffic act to make it mandatory for anyone using in-line skates, a skateboard or any other type of muscle-powered vehicle to wear a helmet. At present, all cyclists in Ontario are required to wear helmets, but regulations passed by the government exempted individuals over the age of 18 from this requirement. This bill removes the government's power to make such exceptions, making it mandatory for all cyclists to wear helmets. It does, however, provide for exemptions for those who cannot wear a helmet due to religious beliefs."

    The bill was introduced and received First Reading in the Ontario Legislative Assembly of Ontario (Queen's Park) on October 19th. Second reading took place today and has been sent to committee for study..

    I wear a helmet when Im hitting the trails but when Im out on a rail trail or the waterfront trail i have to wear a helmet...BS....
    Maybe Im old school...i grew up riding without a helmet I dont feel its needed 100% of the time...
    Anyone know where I can get a cheap turban

  2. #2
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Anyone know where I can get a cheap turban
    lol.

    What i say is don't worry about it. It is one of those rules they do not often bother to inforce. If i had a buck for every time i saw a kid riding without a helmet, i would be buying a new bike
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    426
    if yeah are shopping for a turban make sure it'll go with the helmet you ought to be wearing over it.

    All it takes is one fall, and in the hospital you go....costing our health care system.You know what they say about car accidents is that the highest percentage of them happen within a couple of km from home.

    Wearing a helmet makes sense all the time. All it takes is one fall

    I agree with the new law

  4. #4
    They say I have a problem
    Reputation: rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    460
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    Helmet Law Introduced in Ontario Legislature

    Source: Canadian Cyclist

    MPP John Milloy (Kitchener Centre) has introduced a bill (129) to amend the "Highway Traffic act to make it mandatory for anyone using in-line skates, a skateboard or any other type of muscle-powered vehicle to wear a helmet. At present, all cyclists in Ontario are required to wear helmets, but regulations passed by the government exempted individuals over the age of 18 from this requirement. This bill removes the government's power to make such exceptions, making it mandatory for all cyclists to wear helmets. It does, however, provide for exemptions for those who cannot wear a helmet due to religious beliefs."

    The bill was introduced and received First Reading in the Ontario Legislative Assembly of Ontario (Queen's Park) on October 19th. Second reading took place today and has been sent to committee for study..

    I wear a helmet when Im hitting the trails but when Im out on a rail trail or the waterfront trail i have to wear a helmet...BS....
    Maybe Im old school...i grew up riding without a helmet I dont feel its needed 100% of the time...
    Anyone know where I can get a cheap turban

    Hey do you live in Hamilton?? That seems to be everyone's thought out here....

    Not wearing a helmet is basically asinine!! I'm sorry if I offend you, but you never know when you are going to take a spill. It doesn't take much to cause major damage to your mellon.

    I'm so flustered right now I don't know what to type....I still can't believe there are people out there who actually think it's ok to ride without a helmet!

    So you rode as a kid and never had an incident....I've been driving for 20 year and have yet to really feel my seatbelt has saved my life...Well I guess I should stop wearing that too, even though there are countless studies that say I should wear one...

    Look, everyone should wear there helmets all the time!! It's called setting an example for people....

    Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

  5. #5

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    51

    I totally agree with the law..

    I don't think it is a bs law.

    I think this law should be enforced considering if you do take a fall on the trail/road or even rail trail you are talking serious injuries that can happen.

    I have fallen going over a bmx bump that was probably about 3' in height. I received a concussion with loss of memory of about 4 to 5 hours of just before the accident, the accident and when I finally woke up in the hospital at around 8pm and . I was wearing a helmet that did it's job and broke with the force place on it from the accident. The helmet broke right at my left temple. So if I didn't have a helmet on I probably either wouldn't be here now or I would have been a vegetable...So even if I am test riding my bike after a tune up I wear my helmet. I don't feel safe without my helmet. In respect to going to the hospital after the accident I was told that I was there for probably 5 or 6 hours having to get transfer to another hospital to get a head scan done and then transferred back to the original hospital. I didn't have to stay over night but I did cost the system some money for tests.

    Three cheers for Helmets...HipHip Horay...

    Shell

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ddakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    443

    Why not?

    It boggles my mind why people 'wouldn't' wear helmets.

    Do they think they don't looking COOL wearing a helmet? Guess what, when people see you riding without one, they don't think you look cool, they think you're an idiot.

    You don't have to buy a $10 giant white egg helmet if you don't think it looks good. There are hundreds of options out there that are nice looking, light, airy and (most importantly) safe.

    Smarten up and wear a bucket!

  7. #7
    TT.
    TT. is offline
    wheeler
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    561
    I'm all for helmets too, but if I'm riding to the gym or a local shop, there is no freekin' way I put a lid on
    I'm sure this is going to piss a lot of roadies off
    I Ride, I Know

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by TT.
    I'm all for helmets too, but if I'm riding to the gym or a local shop, there is no freekin' way I put a lid on
    I'm sure this is going to piss a lot of roadies off
    We ride to a local grocery store with our helmets on and shop with all of our gear on sure you get weird looks but you are still safe on the roads that way!

    Isn't regulation in the TdeF to wear helmets now?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    413

    ... and if we just ... Really!!!

    You NEVER ride without a helmet....wow. I understand the potential danger and for the most part I do wear a helmet but I just cant agree with this one.

    should I wear a helmet to go hiking now, what about skiers?

    do you skiers wear helmets? XC or DH doesnt really matter...

    And since Im on this rant...does being part of a religion make you less likely to get into an accident?

    BAH!!

    sorry if my thoughts are scattered, but I can see this as a waste of court time of people like me going to fight the tickets.(im in Peel region- )As for the strain on the health care system..well i put money into it, so when I do go to ER for an a ligit reason I dont want to be waiting behind a bunch of idiots with a cold in ER..ooh Im sniffling better go to the hospital...

    well im off to bed...better go get my helmet to climb the stairs

  10. #10

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by smiley
    You NEVER ride without a helmet....wow. I understand the potential danger and for the most part I do wear a helmet but I just cant agree with this one.

    should I wear a helmet to go hiking now, what about skiers?

    do you skiers wear helmets? XC or DH doesnt really matter...

    And since Im on this rant...does being part of a religion make you less likely to get into an accident?

    BAH!!

    sorry if my thoughts are scattered, but I can see this as a waste of court time of people like me going to fight the tickets.(im in Peel region- )As for the strain on the health care system..well i put money into it, so when I do go to ER for an a ligit reason I dont want to be waiting behind a bunch of idiots with a cold in ER..ooh Im sniffling better go to the hospital...

    well im off to bed...better go get my helmet to climb the stairs
    Well I know people that down hill ski and yes they do wear helmets...Yes whenever I am on my bike riding I wear a helmet period.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    413

    Tdf

    Quote Originally Posted by Shell_76
    We ride to a local grocery store with our helmets on and shop with all of our gear on sure you get weird looks but you are still safe on the roads that way!

    Isn't regulation in the TdeF to wear helmets now?
    I think for the tour they can take off the helmet if the stage ends with a climb over a set amount of Km's. because you cant fall down going up!!

  12. #12
    They say I have a problem
    Reputation: rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    460
    I'm with Shell on thi one...The instant I'm on a ride I've got a helmet on...Only time I don't wear one is for a quick test ride in our parking lot after making an adjustment...Even then I'll put it on if it's going to be an extended test...All I know is that if I do fall, I want my mellon to be protected...

    I use that brain of mine everyday....

    Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HubbaMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    911

    easy decision really

    if you value what's between your ears then wear one. Obviously you don't since you're willing to take chances with it.
    I don't know about you, but I don't plan out when/where I fall so I'd rather be ready all the time.


    Clem

  14. #14
    Live 4 2day
    Reputation: lot8con8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    117

    Just what we need.....

    "I don't think it is a bs law.

    Three cheers for Helmets...HipHip Horay...

    Shell"


    ........another law which will tell adults on how to be safe. And this makes sense because why?

    By your rationale; all children should wear helmets at the playground, boaters, rock climbers, snow boarders, skiers, mountain climbers, should all wear helments. And maybe full body armour to lessen the injuries when they fall.

    Adults when climbing a ladder at home should require a helment....or when driving the car with our seat belt on...not. Maybe bubble wrap jackets for when we walk out the door.

    My point is the list is long for what you could require to keep one safe.

    "Transport Canada statistics reveal that 60 cyclists were killed in 2001. The number of deaths is down from 106 in 1990 but up significantly from 40 in 2000. Those who never wear a helmet are more likely to be male, under 34, rural, less educated, and lower income earners. Their kids don't wear helmets either. Three-quarters report their children never wear bicycle helmets, and over two-thirds say their children don't wear helmets when in-line skating, skateboarding or using a scooter."

    Stats from CSC. Stats. are easily manipulated. (whole other discussion). But of the 60 killed how much was due to driver error. We need a law banning cars!

    JG

    P.S. I do wear a helment but that is my choice; not the government.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    413

    so Im to stop taking risks altogehter

    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan
    if you value what's between your ears then wear one. Obviously you don't since you're willing to take chances with it.
    I don't know about you, but I don't plan out when/where I fall so I'd rather be ready all the time.


    Clem

    Actually i do value whats between my ears, doesnt mean Im going to stop Skydiving now does it.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    604
    Riding a bike and hiking have different levels of risk. Lot's of people fall of their bike, but not a lot of hikers fall down. Also, falling off a bike has more risk than falling down. Also, riding a bike at high speeds increases the risk of injury.

    I'm fine with the religious thing, it just means that were not all thrown in a pot like the US...if you don't like this, move to another country.

    Although adults can make up their own minds, the law should reduce the # of serious injuries associated with not wearing helmets. Can you imagine if there was no law for adults wearing seat belts...oh, that's why we have the law.

    Lastly, if you're riding slow speeds to a store down the street, and your on a path, I don't think a helmet is necessary. I believe this isn't where the accidents are taking place.

  17. #17
    almost there!
    Reputation: AJ541's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    341

    Freedom or just stupidity?

    I think its in your own best interest to wear a helmet.

    Imagine this situation:
    You're riding your bike from your house to the trail and you're going a good 35km/h and then suddenly one leg of your fork breaks and you loose control and you go head first into light post. And you're not wearing a helmet. You go to the hospital and they tell you have had a concussion and you should take a day or 2 off work just to make sure you're ok. And then they ask you - if you were wearing a helmet or not? You say "no".

    Now if I was in this situation I would feel pretty dumb saying no I wasn't wearing a helmet.

    It's bad enough that WE'RE PAYING for people who go to the hospital for lung cancer because they've been smoking for 30 years AND we have people who have head injuries they could have prevented by wearing a helmet.

  18. #18
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,108
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    lol.

    What i say is don't worry about it. It is one of those rules they do not often bother to inforce. If i had a buck for every time i saw a kid riding without a helmet, i would be buying a new bike

    Just for the reccord i pretty much always wear my helmet when riding my bike. It is stylish. It makes sence. There are very few/no legit reasons not too. But in the end it is ultimately still a choice. Although it is sorta like the seatbelt law... The gov't just wants to keep people safe.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    426
    I think that if you go to the hospital after an accident where you weren't wearing a helmet...you should go to the bottom of the list.... a place reserved for stupidty!

    Do hockey players wear a helmet because its the law...no. They do so because the leagues stipulates the rules and they want to play so they have to wear a helmet. Lets get with the real world and protect what we have between our ears....unless of course your dumb enough to not wear a helmet

    Don't Skydivers wear some types of helmet when jumping out of a plane?

    Rock climbers wear a helmet. Skiers wear a helmet. Snowboarders wear helmets espically if they want to play in terrain parks. You ski down hills that have been pumped with manmade snow that is much denser than natural snow. The hills are groomed by heavy machinery driving up and down the hills. Those slopes are well packed snow and ice. You can receive a nice head and neck injury from wacking your head.

    Studies prove that helmets reduce the number and the severity of head and neck injuries.

    Why would you not want to be smart and reduce the risks associated with injury in any sport so that you could continue to enjoy performing the sport and activities you enjoy
    Makes sense to me

  20. #20
    Live 4 2day
    Reputation: lot8con8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    117
    "skihillguy said:
    Why would you not want to be smart and reduce the risks associated with injury in any sport so that you could continue to enjoy performing the sport and activities you enjoy
    Makes sense to me"

    And therefore you need the government to tell you this as well. Seems like you are an adult arriving at a perfect logically conclusion without the government?

    How many kids do see riding daily without a helment and how many get charged by the police? I would guess I see less than 25% with a law in place that is not enforced.

    Here is some more food for thought:
    CSC stat:
    "About 90 per cent of cycling fatalities are caused by cyclists being struck by motor vehicles. Children usually ride within their own community. Adult cyclists are more likely to ride in heavy traffic . Alcohol use is another factor in adult cyclist fatalities. A study by the Traffic Injury Research Foundation, covering 1987 to 1997, found that 25 per cent of cyclist fatalities had been drinking."




    JG

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    426
    People are generally stupid about there own safety unless legislated. Why do people wear seatbelts because the gov't says so. Why do we have speed limits...because the gov't has decided what it should be in set areas.

    I don't know that I agree with your statistics because most accidents happen fairly close to home...according to one automobile survey i remember. Kids riding a bike in there neighbourhood can be hit very easily by a car or hit a curb..and fall.

    I believe they opught to enforce some of these laws more vigorously


    Quote Originally Posted by lot8con8
    "skihillguy said:
    Why would you not want to be smart and reduce the risks associated with injury in any sport so that you could continue to enjoy performing the sport and activities you enjoy
    Makes sense to me"

    And therefore you need the government to tell you this as well. Seems like you are an adult arriving at a perfect logically conclusion without the government?

    How many kids do see riding daily without a helment and how many get charged by the police? I would guess I see less than 25% with a law in place that is not enforced.

    Here is some more food for thought:
    CSC stat:
    "About 90 per cent of cycling fatalities are caused by cyclists being struck by motor vehicles. Children usually ride within their own community. Adult cyclists are more likely to ride in heavy traffic . Alcohol use is another factor in adult cyclist fatalities. A study by the Traffic Injury Research Foundation, covering 1987 to 1997, found that 25 per cent of cyclist fatalities had been drinking."




    JG

  22. #22
    Live 4 2day
    Reputation: lot8con8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    117
    "skihillguy wrote: People are generally stupid about there own safety unless legislated. Why do people wear seatbelts because the gov't says so. Why do we have speed limits...because the gov't has decided what it should be in set areas."

    People don't always wear seatbelts, people speed, people drink and drive.

    People are not generally stupid as you suggest. People do need to learn to think more on their own and form their own opinion based on what they factually know.

    Here is another important fact to think about:

    In A Globe and Mail letter, Darrell Bricker, president, Public Affairs, Ipsos-Reid wrote
    (regarding Koyoto but the principal applies): "while Canadians may not know the "facts" about these issues, it doesn't stop them from forming opinions" he continues "So, why do the opinions of the misinformed matter? Well, because the misinformed vote, the misinformed write to their MPs, the misinformed boycott products and the misinformed march in the streets."

    Cheers,

    JG

    P.S. Keep an open mind and think about two sides of an issue. In the end you may still have the same opinion, but at least you will have an appreciation of the other side and understand where they are coming from.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    426
    the misinformed are the ones who are going to end up in a hospital with a head or neck injury.

    I can see both sides of the argument , but when it comes to protecting the head and neck from a possible injury I choose to err on the side of caution.

    Take skiing or snowboarding for example, While not legislated to wear helmets more and more people are doing so because they are actually becoming more aware of the possibility of head or neck injury.

    Up until a couple of years ago, I did not wear a helmet, and when i took a couple of hard spills backwards , forwards and every which way while learniong how to snowboard , I realized how seriously injured i could become. That snow on the hills is packed hard.

    I went out and bought a helmet. Wearing it the first night while just skiing someone cut me off and it was either tangle with that person or a snow tower. I chose the other person..and took the worst of the collision...and subsequent tumbles..... but i got up and got the skiis back on and returned to skiing. I could have been injured but fortunately wasn't.

    Even though I'm not forced to wear a helmet i wear it for skiing, biking . I don't need the gov't to legislate sensible thinking but some people do require it for them to wake up and smell the bacon.

    this may not come across right but i'm sure you'll get the idea. I believe it is part of the gov't s mandate to do what they believe is in our best interests. Thats why we elected them to create and enact laws to help society and have them for the best interests of all concerned.

    Are those laws all enforced equally and enforced as they ought to be...No
    There will always be those who break the laws...but that doesn't mean they are right....just means they are the stupid misinformed ones

  24. #24
    They say I have a problem
    Reputation: rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    460
    Well said!!!
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

  25. #25
    Live 4 2day
    Reputation: lot8con8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    117

    You just said it..

    "skihillguy said: Take skiing or snowboarding for example, While not legislated to wear helmets more and more people are doing so because they are actually becoming more aware of the possibility of head or neck injury.

    Even though I'm not forced to wear a helmet i wear it for skiing, biking . I don't need the gov't to legislate sensible thinking but some people do require it for them to wake up and smell the bacon."

    ....you don't need a law to legislate common sense.

    Go back and look at the stats. They have said 60 people have died in 2001. They said that 54 died from motor vehicle collisions; but what they don't say was how many were wearing their helments in any of these deaths. How many of these deaths were caused by cyclists? They don't even know this fact yet they want to pass a law?

    27 kids died of the 60 for which a law already exists. Another 15 were drinking alcohol. In 2001, the population of Ontario was roughly 11.4 million. Which means, the governement wants to pass a law due to an accidental death issue for 0.0003% of the population. 1680 Canadians are killed each year to drunk drivers alone.

    In 1997, falls accounted for 20% of all injury deaths among senior adults age 65 or over.
    (Computations by Injury Section, Health Surveillance & Epidemiology Division, CHHD,
    PPHB, Health Canada. Analysis of Statistics Canada 1997 mortality data.) Should we pass a law that adults over 65 must start wearing a helment in the home?

    Again, this goes back to the simple issue. The police do not have the resources to enforce a helment law which should as you have said boils down to commone sense. The helment law is a "feel good" law flying under the banner of public safety.

    Are the police going to line up and pull over every biker at triathlons, cycle-cross, biking events all next year if this law comes into force?

    JG

  26. #26

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by lot8con8
    "skihillguy said: Take skiing or snowboarding for example, While not legislated to wear helmets more and more people are doing so because they are actually becoming more aware of the possibility of head or neck injury.

    Even though I'm not forced to wear a helmet i wear it for skiing, biking . I don't need the gov't to legislate sensible thinking but some people do require it for them to wake up and smell the bacon."

    ....you don't need a law to legislate common sense.

    Go back and look at the stats. They have said 60 people have died in 2001. They said that 54 died from motor vehicle collisions; but what they don't say was how many were wearing their helments in any of these deaths. How many of these deaths were caused by cyclists? They don't even know this fact yet they want to pass a law?

    27 kids died of the 60 for which a law already exists. Another 15 were drinking alcohol. In 2001, the population of Ontario was roughly 11.4 million. Which means, the governement wants to pass a law due to an accidental death issue for 0.0003% of the population. 1680 Canadians are killed each year to drunk drivers alone.

    In 1997, falls accounted for 20% of all injury deaths among senior adults age 65 or over.
    (Computations by Injury Section, Health Surveillance & Epidemiology Division, CHHD,
    PPHB, Health Canada. Analysis of Statistics Canada 1997 mortality data.) Should we pass a law that adults over 65 must start wearing a helment in the home?

    Again, this goes back to the simple issue. The police do not have the resources to enforce a helment law which should as you have said boils down to commone sense. The helment law is a "feel good" law flying under the banner of public safety.

    Are the police going to line up and pull over every biker at triathlons, cycle-cross, biking events all next year if this law comes into force?

    JG
    The last time I checked any sactioned event for cycling there was a manditory helmet requirement. Right?

    Shell

  27. #27
    Live 4 2day
    Reputation: lot8con8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Shell_76
    The last time I checked any sactioned event for cycling there was a manditory helmet requirement. Right?

    Shell

    And let me guess, everybody was wearing helments.........nope!


    JG

  28. #28
    They say I have a problem
    Reputation: rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    460
    Look bud...

    Forget about the law or if it's a sanctioned event....simply put! If you value your quality of life you wear a helmet...

    Some laws are put in place to protect ourselves from our own stupidity...Then again if people do choose to not wear a helmet we can akin that to cleansing of the gene pool when an accident does happen...

    Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

  29. #29
    1946:2006:2066
    Reputation: FireDog46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,458

    Upset I can't believe some of the nonsense in this thread...

    If you don't wear a helmet and end up in the ER you deserve to be at the back of the line.
    But triage being what it is you will be bumped to the head of the line because of serious
    head injuries.

    I'm 58 and there was a time I didn't wear a helmet...you know, that old school thinking.
    Now I own three, all Giro's, Fusion winter, E2 and an Atmos summer. Notice I don't
    differentiate by application. This past summer the Atmos probably saved my life.

    It happened in the laneway behind my house a hundred meters from my back door.
    A moments inattention and the front wheel of my road bike dropped into an old fashioned
    storm sewer. A hundred meters from home going no more than 10 km/hr and I am
    thrown from bike hard enough to knock myself out, break my pelvis and tear a bunch
    of rib cartilage. If the impact was hard enough to break my pelvis ( note: not the hip,
    but the pelvic hip socket ) what do you think would have happend to my head.

    When I came to I had no idea what had happened. I have no recollection of leaving the
    bike. I could not stand. With the help of three younger dudes I managed to get home.
    Two hours later I realized it was time to go to the ER. Triage being what it is, I was at
    the back of the line. When all the tests came back the ER doc and nurses couldn't
    believe I had done this coming off a bike. AND YES...they asked me if I was wearing a
    helmet. When I said yes, there was a collective sigh of relief. I got lucky. The pelvic
    break was what is called non-displaced. The only treatment is liberal doses of pain
    killers and lots of rest and no walking on that leg.

    That was July 15 and today I still occasionaly need a cane. I haven't been on a bike
    since. Which pisses me off now that the cold weather has arrived. But that's why I
    have the Fusion. My next followup xray is Dec 21 and hopefully the last. The pelvis
    is notoriously slow to heal and I have to know it is completely healed before I do get
    back on a bike since you never know when this might happen again.

    Forgive the lengthy post. But when I hear things like "but I'm only going around the corner"
    my response is "wear your damn helmet, you don't know what's waiting around the corner".

    michael

    PS:
    and any legislation that might prevent one more vegetable from burdening our health care
    system, which is already in trouble, is fine with me ( don't get me started on seat belts ).
    ( sorry...damn typos )
    Last edited by mrdy; 11-10-2004 at 09:00 AM.
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

  30. #30
    They say I have a problem
    Reputation: rbart4506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    460
    Sorry to hear about your accident, but you illustrate the problem exactly....You never really know when something is going to happen....

    Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

  31. #31
    Live 4 2day
    Reputation: lot8con8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    117

    And it could be said...

    Quote Originally Posted by mrdy
    michael

    PS:
    and any legislation that might prevent one more vegetable from burdening our health care
    system, which is already in trouble, is mine with me ( don't get me started on seat belts ).

    ...that some sports burden our health care system as it is. DHing would be considered dangerous to some, probably most outside of the sport. Many times I have enjoyed the sport but many also get injured with and without the proper equipment. People outside the sport would probably say it is a burden on the health care system if asked. So how would legislation prevent it from becoming a burdern when sports such as it run a higher risk.

    Read the stats. on head and neck related injuries in minor soccer from kids heading the ball. Kids have even died in the past from this. And dentists love soccer even more.

    I am sorry to hear about your accident. Being off the bike is tough. I was smoked by a van in 1998 (with my helment on). It was hard getting back on the road.

    I am sure the helment law will get the support in Ontario to pass the two remanining readings. It will however fail to be enforced. Talk to your local police as I have (two are riding buddies). And ask yourself whether you think they have the time or resources to chase down bad ass non-helment wearers or the real crooks that take up the vast majority of their time. Or which job you would prefer the police to do when on they are on the street.

    JG

  32. #32
    1946:2006:2066
    Reputation: FireDog46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,458

    Good job! isn't that the truth....

    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    Sorry to hear about your accident, but you illustrate the problem exactly....You never really know when something is going to happen....

    Rich
    It's not the first time I've crashed but it is the first time it put me in the hospital.
    Thank god I wised up to the benefits of wearing a helmet. Six months off to let
    the pelvis heal is nothing to a lifetime of never riding again. I'm not particularly
    a hard core roadie or mtb'r but life without a bike...that would be hell.

    michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

  33. #33
    1946:2006:2066
    Reputation: FireDog46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,458

    when it becomes law...

    I don't really expect the cops to enforce it. What I think will happen is if there there are any
    insurance claim issues involved the benificiary will receive a reduced payment for not wearing
    a helmet. This has already happened with the seat belt law. I recall something like a 20%
    reduction in payouts since the driver contributed to their injuries by not wearing a seat belt.

    This may seem contentious but it is effective. I had a small insurance policy that essentially
    covered my lost income ( self-employed ). In the absence of a law the question didn't
    come up. I was asked by the ER staff if I was wearing a helmet. With a law the insurance
    company would have asked and if I wasn't I wouldn't have deserved full compensation.

    The simple fact is that helmets minimize head injuries. They don't elliminate them. After
    all I got knocked out. So I have lost 30 seconds of my life. Don't remember leaving the bike.
    But I will ride again. And it will be a nervous moment the first time I'm back on the road.

    michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smiley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    413

    Well said everybody

    Thanks for all your replies, I hope I did not incite too much anger, that was not my intention.

    I have enjoyed reading all the posts and life expierences of my fellow riders and I think the one line out of all the posts that really stuck was from 'MRDY' which was 'imagine life without being able to ride'

    For 29 years I had never worn a helmet, through crashes, spills and thrills, and it was my first ride at Hilton Falls which was the reason for purchasing a helmet and only because it was mandatory for the park. Its been a tough transition to get in the mode of wearing a helmet but I must admit once its on I usually forget that Im wearing it in the first place.

    So once again thanks all and to MRDY hope you get well soon and 'back in the sadle again' cause I could NOT imagine life without riding..

    Cheers all

  35. #35

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    16

    A couple of things to remember

    This is Ontario. It gets very cold in winter & I doubt a commuter or courier could wear a helmet over/under their helmet ai -5 degrees or colder. Second- I thought we were trying to promote bicycling for the average Joe when they do short trips to the local store (No helmet- risk a stupid ticket by a stupid cop? No thanks, I'll just drive there). Third - Why do some people get to break the law just because of their relogion? I thought we were all Canadian? Last- want to reduce a lot more than 60 deaths a year? Lets make helmets mandatory in cars. You would probably save 1,000 lives a year. (what about pedestrians too.) Dalton- GET LOST. Try living up to some of your 100 plus broken promises before you saddle us with your useless & misguided political diversions. By the way My kids & I always wear our helmets.

  36. #36
    A wheelist
    Reputation: Mike T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,991
    What is this law's intent? To control cyclists or to prevent head injuries? If the intent is the latter then it would be much more productive to make motorists wear helmets instead of or as well as cyclists.

    The USA Center for Disease Control & Prevention reports "Motor vehicle crashes are by far the leading cause of traumatic brain injury. Motor vehicle accidents cause 44% of brain injuries; falls, 26%; assaults and firearms, 17%; sports and recreation and other, 13%."

    So seeing that you're twice as likely to suffer head injury from a general fall and over three times as likely to suffer a head injury while in a motor vehicle than while taking part in general sports (not just bike riding) doesn't it make sense for EVERYONE to wear a helmet in normal everyday life?

    But who ever said that politicians made sense? That fellow is just a grandstander trying to make a name for himself. If he had any real guts and credibility he'd push for motorists to wear helmets.

    ** Yes I wear a helmet for ALL my riding.

  37. #37
    I already rode that
    Reputation: SuperNewb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,632
    I think that law they are trying to pass really sucks. Why should I have to ride with a helmet when after all these years riding without one I'm still going strong and such?
    If they do pass it should include everyone religion included, just cause I'm an evil basterd

    For off road I see the point of wearing one even though I have yet to wipeout and use the helmet to save my noggin ( usually need body armor more then anything! )

    Maybe they should start making motorists wear helmets too cause you never know when you might get side swiped or T boned and the front airbag wont save you in that kind of situation. Dont forget to include pedestrians too! some of those curbs in the city are higher then regulations.... and with the way some drivers are, well you just never know!

    You will get cops enforcing it because it is the law but it'll be like jaywalking, you arent supposed to but do cops stop you for it? Hell I cut off a cop car on my bike and they didnt do anything.

    Everyone that shakes their head when they see another rider out on the trail without a helmet needs to sit back and have a wookie or something. I never wore a helmet up till I started racing and the only reason I keep wearing one now is cause Iit feels wierd to ride offroad without it. Although I still ride sometimes without it, my friends might say something but I usually cant hear them because they are too far back

  38. #38
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,968
    I didn't go through all the above posts... but let me just say this.

    What have you got to lose wearing a helmet.


    I think that law they are trying to pass really sucks. Why should I have to ride with a helmet when after all these years riding without one I'm still going strong and such?
    What a stupid point... you obviously haven't fallen on your head before... but what if you do? Your flawless lack of a helmet track record won't save you there.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

  39. #39
    I already rode that
    Reputation: SuperNewb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,632
    I did fall on my head before sorry to burst your bubble but it doesnt make me want to wear a helmet all the time now. Why should I? just because I have a 1 in 100000 chance I might fall off my bike while riding over a sewer and hitting my head?

  40. #40
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,968
    Why should I? just because I have a 1 in 100000 chance I might fall off my bike while riding over a sewer and hitting my head?
    ummm ya?....whose point are you arguing? yours or mine?
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    308

    I wear a helmet and it probably saved my life.

    You know guys, you are kind of going off the deep end here. You talk of needing a lid to cross the street or for climbing some stairs, the application is inherently flawed. As has been mentioned before, risk determines measure. I feel it is a reasonable measure to wear a helmet when I ride my mountain bike. Why? Because I have seen brain injured persons.

    You like riding? Imagine if you pull a header and land on your noggin causing a depressed skull fracture leading to hemmoraging on the brain. You suffer a massive stroke and have to relearn everything. So you sit at home for the first six months as you relearn your bowel and bladder control. Me? I fall down, go boom and buy a new lid. Off I go and enjoy the season. Meanwhile you feel it is a big achievement to talk without slurring your "S"s, or to be able to hold you son or daughter without dropping them. Off I go to hit the K country and maybe with a little luck, head down to do Moab or Fruita. You get tired cheers from your spouse because you can use a walker...

    At first I was going to get all preachy and tell you that you should go to the back of the line and blah blah blah, but you know what? If you take that spill and get FUBAR'd, you are at the back of the line, not for a few hours in ER, but for years. I would hate to see or hear of anybody going down like that. But it is a free world, just remember that in any free society, you live with the consequences of your freedom of choice. Crystal?

    My little tale of woe and humour can be read here... preachiness and all...So I crashed today...
    If you're ever in Calgary, here are the bike shops I like:
    Single Track Cycle
    The Bike Shop
    Calgary Cycle

  42. #42
    1946:2006:2066
    Reputation: FireDog46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,458

    1 in 100000 ... eh

    Take it from one who became that 1. Wear your helmet! Everywhere, all the time!

    michael
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

Similar Threads

  1. need your final advice on xtr dual control......
    By marco in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 08:21 PM
  2. ST-M765 Dual Control Shifters?
    By slick6rick in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 03:02 PM
  3. Dual Control pods
    By Warp in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-21-2004, 09:12 AM
  4. Marta SL/XT rapidfire setup lighter than XTR Dual Control?
    By dawgcatching in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 04:00 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.