Montreal area logging - Bromont- Mtbr.com

May 2004

Montreal area logging - Bromont

So, I was up at Bromont a month or two ago, snowshoeing the XC trails. Turns out Bromont is logging a large section to make way for... you guessed it. Condos. Coupled with increased logging up north, I'm running out of good stomping grounds close enough to drive to after work during the week. What's left, besides Ste-Anne-du-Lac and Rougemont?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If Bromont is builted for condos, does this mean XC trail is gone forever ?

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    If Bromont is builted for condos, does this mean XC trail is gone forever ?
    No, the XC trail is still there, but around the bottom they're logging a lot. There's still going to be a lot of trail, but getting to it is going to be hard. It looked like they took a big chunk out of #5 (the good climbing trail).

Apr 2005

Upset

I was there this past weekend. Most of the Extra Légère has been destroyed (many trees were cut down, and more to come). In addition to all the freaking new condos, Bromont is building a new ski lift next to the existing bump (aka Mont Brome). I really don't get it, Bromont is such a dump for skiing, why even bother?

May 2004
    I hear ya. I'm pretty unimpressed with the whole thing... but I guess we XC'ers don't produce enough revenue to be worth it. You're right about Bromont for skiing... I don't honestly know why anyone even bothers. Do you know anywhere else within a reasonable drive from the city worth going to?

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by xcdemon
    No, the XC trail is still there, but around the bottom they're logging a lot. There's still going to be a lot of trail, but getting to it is going to be hard. It looked like they took a big chunk out of #5 (the good climbing trail).
    Yes, unfortunately, the infamous boulder section near the end of the Bromont XC course is gone. I loved that section, especially at the World Master's, where you could just "wow" the crowd by taking the not-so-obvious left line along the trees. That section was also notorious for huge, rock-smashing crashes....ouch!

RIP.

M.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

May 2004

what?!?!?!

The Flintstones are gone?? Are you kidding me?! I'm outraged. What are they going to put there? That is infuriating. So can I assume you've been out and ridden? skibromont.com says the trails are still closed, but they say a lot of things, and not all of them are true.
    I'm going to be fuming all day now.
    Thanks for the update...

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by xcdemon
    The Flintstones are gone?? Are you kidding me?! I'm outraged. What are they going to put there? That is infuriating. So can I assume you've been out and ridden? skibromont.com says the trails are still closed, but they say a lot of things, and not all of them are true.
    I'm going to be fuming all day now.
    Thanks for the update...
    I haven't been up to Bromont since the Canada Cup there last summer. From what I heard (and this was from multiple sources) this was the last time for the Flints. The day following the C-Cup, the Flints were being demolished to make room for condos. Again, I haven't been up there since last May (I missed the Worlds last summer).
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

May 2004
    when was the Canada Cup? I was out there in September and they were still there, but there was a fair bit of building around it. That's a crying shame, I was just figuring out how to make it through there (line to the left be damned!). I was looking forward to being "that chick" at the 12 hour this year who doesn't eat it in the flints.
    Have you found any other regular stomping grounds around here? I usually go North, but as I'm working on the South Shore now, I was really expecting to be at Bromont on a regular basis this summer...

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Oops, my bad. The Flints are still there....it's the boulder section at the end of the XC course that's been demolished to make condos.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

mtbr member
    I'll be heading there for the whole week of May 9th - gotta love work trips sometimes. I'll let you guys know what it looks like.

Anyone know if the trails are open that week? According to their website, it appears to be open for xc, but the lifts don't run until the weekend. It better be open, or I'll have brought two bikes for nothing.

Mar 2004

Lifts open on May 20?

I'm pretty sure the lifts open only on the May 24 weekend, which is when I'm heading there. I'll be interested to hear how the east side of the hill (#5, #7 etc.) has been affected by the condo development mentioned above. Though I ride the DH there, parts of "Extra Legere" and "Bing Bang" are my favs. Would hate to see them, or any sections, f*#ked by bulldozers. Scope it out and post back.
    G
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill
    I'll be heading there for the whole week of May 9th - gotta love work trips sometimes. I'll let you guys know what it looks like.

Anyone know if the trails are open that week? According to their website, it appears to be open for xc, but the lifts don't run until the weekend. It better be open, or I'll have brought two bikes for nothing.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lambhead
    I'm pretty sure the lifts open only on the May 24 weekend, which is when I'm heading there. I'll be interested to hear how the east side of the hill (#5, #7 etc.) has been affected by the condo development mentioned above. Though I ride the DH there, parts of "Extra Legere" and "Bing Bang" are my favs. Would hate to see them, or any sections, f*#ked by bulldozers. Scope it out and post back.
    G
    I doubt they'd touch Bing Bang: it's too deep in the mountain to make it really prime condo real estate. It's the outside trails that are the problem... ie extra legere and le centuaire (or however you spell it).
    Definately waiting to hear the details. I was supposed to go, but it rained so much that it would have just been cold and soupy and crappy, so we skipped it...