Minising bike trail in Algonquin- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Minising bike trail in Algonquin

Has anyone here ridden this trail? Is it dangerous? Bear factor?

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Is it dangerous? Bear factor?
    Not dangerous, but definitely a bear factory.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Unless anything has recently changed the trail is in pretty bad shape. From really rough rooted washed out stuff to dense overgrown sections.

And yes, can confirm, bears.
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Not to mention the fact that it would be tough slugging right about now!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Do you guys recommend only hiking the trail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Do you guys recommend only hiking the trail?

Given the awesome hiking close by along HWY 60 I've never considered hiking that trail. There are many trails there with beautiful landscapes, some with look outs, of varying lengths and difficulties. There's usually booklets at the trail heads full of interesting facts and history of the area. LMK if you'd like further details on their hiking trails, I know them fairly well.
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I hiked part of it over 10 years ago (did a loop) when I was camped @ 1 of the Canisbay paddle in sites. We were on the west shore & it was a short trek thru the bush to the trail. Used the MTB trail & the portage between Canisbay & Polly lakes to make a loop. I was up the 'west' side of the loop either last spring or in '15 & there was a lot of trees across the & I mean big trees. And the surface isn't that great (lots of baby heads on the east side). Nothing really 'flowy'. Does it ever really dry out in the damp sections?
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
    I hiked part of it over 10 years ago (did a loop) when I was camped @ 1 of the Canisbay paddle in sites. We were on the west shore & it was a short trek thru the bush to the trail. Used the MTB trail & the portage between Canisbay & Polly lakes to make a loop. I was up the 'west' side of the loop either last spring or in '15 & there was a lot of trees across the & I mean big trees. And the surface isn't that great (lots of baby heads on the east side). Nothing really 'flowy'. Does it ever really dry out in the damp sections?
    I too rode it years ago, but everything I've read here lately suggests it's been more or less abandoned by the park. I do see from their website that the northern half was not officially opened for business last summer, with no word on whether or not it will be cleared for next summer. I've long had the impression that the park management has minimal interest in day-use mountain biking, but all the recent activity in bike-packing has got me wondering if that might be the way to get the park more interested in bikes. Bikes that are laden with camping gear have reduced range, and perhaps some cycling detractors might view the activity as less overtly 'athletic' and more attuned to the natural environment. From what we've recently heard, the former cn rail line is more or less open and rideable, while of course the OAPS route is even more attractive but would require more work to open. The minnesing trail then tacks on as a nice side trail to the OAPS route.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Are there trails for biking?

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    I too rode it years ago, but everything I've read here lately suggests it's been more or less abandoned by the park. I do see from their website that the northern half was not officially opened for business last summer, with no word on whether or not it will be cleared for next summer. I've long had the impression that the park management has minimal interest in day-use mountain biking, but all the recent activity in bike-packing has got me wondering if that might be the way to get the park more interested in bikes. Bikes that are laden with camping gear have reduced range, and perhaps some cycling detractors might view the activity as less overtly 'athletic' and more attuned to the natural environment. From what we've recently heard, the former cn rail line is more or less open and rideable, while of course the OAPS route is even more attractive but would require more work to open. The minnesing trail then tacks on as a nice side trail to the OAPS route.
    Indeed it has been neglected for the past decade and overgrown. To the point were friends told me the outside loop was almost unrideable. BUT...most recent intell I got on Minnesing from last summer/fall was that the lower and middle loop were now "brushed out" and that they were working on the big outside loop also and hoping to have it completed shortly. No first hand knowledge however, last I rode Minnesing was probably ~ yr 2000.
    Suggest the OP call the Algonquin Park Info line this summer and get an update. Without the outside loop being open it's not worth the trip
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    I rode it about 4 years ago on my fat bike. The inner loop was fine, the outer loop was not. Someone had punched through with an ATV. I had to walk through a few sections. These trails get used by campers who happen to have their bikes with them. When mom or dad says let's go mountain biking and give it a try, it is most likely their first attempt at it. Hence the other loop never sees traffic. It was a frustrating ride for me.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)