Meet The Mayor [o]- Mtbr.com
    Muskoka

Meet The Mayor [o]

So I recently sold off the Pugsley that I had been riding for almost five years, and was shopping for a new ride. Unlike back in the day when you couldn't even buy a complete build, today there is a lot of choice, with many brands at every price point well represented here in Muskoka. I had it narrowed down to between the RM Blizzard and RSD Bikes The Mayor. The Mayor won, and sweet it is...

With Bud/Lou plus pedals..31.6 lb on the bike shop scale. I will swap out the RACEFACE saddle with my spare fi'si:k Nisene, which is a personal favourite. And I will also swap out the trigger shift for grip shift at some point soon, another favourite especially for winter riding. Everything else is just fine! 8-)

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Looking forward to seeing it in person and maybe taking it for a spin. If you find yourself in the vicinity of TO, I'll give you a guided tour at the Agreement Forest. I think you'll enjoy it. I think I owe you at least one. Specially for introducing me to the Barrens.
    Burnt Norton

Muskoka

Night Ride...

Swapped out the trigger shift for grip shift. Also went to a 30T chain ring from the stock 32T. Coming from a 2x9 Pugsley that would climb a tree, I can see me needing a 42T cog if I want to effortlessly spin up steep & long climbs on snow.
    The LBS is recommending a Hope 40T, saying the transition shift will be smoother without such a huge jump from the 36T. Their concern too is how well the X7 derailleur would do with shifting onto a 42T.
    I would appreciate feedback from anyone having a 42T with a SRAM X7 derailleur. I would prefer to go to that if it works well. At the time the price jump going to 1X11 on this bike seemed excessive but in hindsight if I was doing it over I would go that way if adding a 42T to the 1x10 is a problem! Or maybe a 40 and a 42 are close enough that I wouldn't notice a lot of diff??

ps: Before someone asks (they always do) the orange/blue thing clamped to the frame is my Running Dog BikeTowLeash
    Dog Lead Leash | Dog Bike Leash | Bike Dog Leash | Bike Tow Leash

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Nice bike, nice car. I just ordered the 2015 Crosstrek and I am a bit nervous about my choice. Not only is it the flashy tangerine version, but it is manual to boot. I hope I don't regret it. Please tell me you like your car.

Here is what mine will look like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meet The Mayor [o]-image.jpg  

My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Nice bike, nice car. I just ordered the 2015 Crosstrek and I am a bit nervous about my choice. Not only is it the flashy tangerine version, but it is manual to boot. I hope I don't regret it. Please tell me you like your car.

Here is what mine will look like.
    There are several tangerines in my area, they look fine! The colour is flatter than in that pic in person, which has obviously been colour saturated. Wouldn't be my first choice, I like the DGM colour best obviously but everybody likes something different. There are several white ones around and they are very nice and would probably be my second choice. Mine is manual also, I wouldn't have it any other way. Of course if I lived in a city and drove stop & go traffic I might think differently.

I also test drove the new Forester but I liked the Crosstrek better. Coming from a WRX this is not near as much fun of course but I wanted the extra ground clearance because I was also looking for a small camper trailer for boondocking and wanted to be able to get well off the road...

The car has grown on me more and more the longer I have had it, which is a good sign imo. I liked the interior layout right from the get go, and also the jeepy sort of drive compared to the WRX. The Crosstrek is also very comfy, I drove 14 hrs straight coming back from Bay of Fundy in pouring rain pulling the camper and was not butt sore at all. Same driving to Allegrippis Trails in PA pulling the camper was almost 9 hrs and I only stopped for gas and to pee...again not fatigued at all! I think its a great car for the money year round, and up here with snow tires on it is an AWESOME car from November to April!!! 8-)

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Thanks BCD, I appreciate the information. It is good to know that you like the car. I currently drive an Acura CL Type S, 6 speed manual and 260HP, so I expect a big difference, but I want something different now that I am older.

That bike still rocks.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Muskoka

more crack..

For sure going to order the Oneup 42t/16t kit for the cassette 8-)

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Thanks BCD, I appreciate the information. It is good to know that you like the car. I currently drive an Acura CL Type S, 6 speed manual and 260HP, so I expect a big difference, but I want something different now that I am older.

That bike still rocks.
    Thanks! Took me a bit to get onto the clutch release/ throttle engagement on this car. It is different than my WRX was, maybe it's partially due to the hill holder technology. I'm good with it now but it threw me off at first and I have been driving stick forever. So don't freak if you find that too. That said, the one thing I like better about the Forester was the 6 spd tranny. Not because it was 6 but that it felt closer to my WRX in engagement. Mine is a 2013, do the 2015 come with 6 spd yet? They should have same as Forester IMO

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member

Meet The Mayor [o]

Nope they still have the 5 speed. I test drove the Impreza manual (no Crosstrek could be found) and found it very nice and easy. Hopefully the Crosstrek will be similar. But I will get used to it. I have never driven anything automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Muskoka
    Nope they still have the 5 speed. I test drove the Impreza manual (no Crosstrek could be found) and found it very nice and easy. Hopefully the Crosstrek will be similar. But I will get used to it. I have never driven anything automatic.

I think you will be happy. I was getting 9.4L/100K on the St Lawrence south shore pulling my camper and 2 bikes up top if I kept speed to ~100K. Mostly flat going there. In New Brunswick with higher speed limit and big hills I was~ 11.5L/100 K doing 110K or better. I can get under 7 L /100K commuting to and from work keeping speed ~100 also, and that's with roof racks up top. Not too shabby for a full time AWD vehicle.
    BTW...if you get the OEM hitch rack be ware that some bike racks do not fit. The hole for the locking pin in the receiver is very close to the end compared to most. I cannot use our Kuat rack on this car, but the Yakima Holdup works great.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

humber river advocate
    nice fatty, very clean lines.
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    nice fatty, very clean lines.
    Yep I like it. Didn't even know this Toronto based brand RSD Bikes existed a month ago! I have some very specific criteria which eliminates
    quite a few brands. My dog leash has to clamp to the frame so the chain stay to seat stay angle can't be too wide and the brake caliper can't be mounted inboard. Carbon frame is out for same reason. Needs to be grip shift compatible and fit Bud and Lou. Needs to be reasonable price for something I mostly ride a few months each year. This Mayor fit those criteria really well. Only thing I would have done different maybe in hindsight is go for 1x11 version instead of 1x10. Was quite a price jump to do that though, I'm going to do the Oneup 42t conversion and see how that goes

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

9 lives
    Sweet bike bcd!

Hope to get a fatty, one of these days. Meanwhile I'll keep riding (as usual) with a few modifications
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Yep I like it. Didn't even know this Toronto based brand RSD Bikes existed a month ago! I have some very specific criteria which eliminates
    quite a few brands. My dog leash has to clamp to the frame so the chain stay to seat stay angle can't be too wide and the brake caliper can't be mounted inboard. Carbon frame is out for same reason. Needs to be grip shift compatible and fit Bud and Lou. Needs to be reasonable price for something I mostly ride a few months each year. This Mayor fit those criteria really well. Only thing I would have done different maybe in hindsight is go for 1x11 version instead of 1x10. Was quite a price jump to do that though, I'm going to do the Oneup 42t conversion and see how that goes
    Wait till you try the fat bike in the single track. My 2013
    altitude had most of the summer off.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member

Meet The Mayor [o]

Damn it, I may have to try one of these funny bikes.

My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Wait till you try the fat bike in the single track. My 2013
    altitude had most of the summer off.
    Really!!!? Then I should set some money aside for a Bluto and summer wheels? The LBS told me that Stans is coming out with a great wheel set that is much lighter than the Rabbit Holes and perfect for tubeless!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Sweet bike bcd!

Hope to get a fatty, one of these days. Meanwhile I'll keep riding (as usual) with a few modifications
    Thanks! Yep...I think you are due, I hope SS is working on it!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Damn it, I may have to try one of these funny bikes.

Isn't this your "learn to xc-ski winter" ?? Actually its good to have both skiing and fat biking, they complement each other in the sense that ideal conditions for one are the opposite for the other

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    I used my fat bike a lot this summer too. The Dillinger tires I am running are excellent in themselves for summer riding without changing tires. You can try out those V rubber 8's I have next summer and see if you like them BCD. I ran into two guys at Kelso in the summer and they are both running ghetto tubeless. They used Gorilla tape and Stans on their Darryl rims, one with the V rubber 8's and the other I could not remember and neither had issues. Fat biking in the Agreement Forest in the summer is awesome. Don't get a shock. The thing I love the most about the fat bike is the whole different experience you get doing it fully rigid. I do all the tough rocky trails with it. I did Buck this summer on the fat bike and loved it. The climbs on Bear Bluff and Dew Drop In were tough but manageable. All the other stuff was just plain fun. I had my shock serviced on the 29er this summer and rode the fat bike exclusively for almost 3 weeks.
    Burnt Norton

Rocking on a Rocky
    Really!!!? Then I should set some money aside for a Bluto and summer wheels? The LBS told me that Stans is coming out with a great wheel set that is much lighter than the Rabbit Holes and perfect for tubeless!
    I got the 65 mm Nextie rims the Stans were not out yet, thinking about the Bluto.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I used my fat bike a lot this summer too. The Dillinger tires I am running are excellent in themselves for summer riding without changing tires. You can try out those V rubber 8's I have next summer and see if you like them BCD. I ran into two guys at Kelso in the summer and they are both running ghetto tubeless. They used Gorilla tape and Stans on their Darryl rims, one with the V rubber 8's and the other I could not remember and neither had issues. Fat biking in the Agreement Forest in the summer is awesome. Don't get a shock. The thing I love the most about the fat bike is the whole different experience you get doing it fully rigid. I do all the tough rocky trails with it. I did Buck this summer on the fat bike and loved it. The climbs on Bear Bluff and Dew Drop In were tough but manageable. All the other stuff was just plain fun. I had my shock serviced on the 29er this summer and rode the fat bike exclusively for almost 3 weeks.
    In the rocks and roots the traction is awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nice bike and build!! I also did not know that there was a Toronto based frame/bike builder! I have a sneaky suspicion Santa maybe making Fat Bike plans for me this Christmas (or some such bike plan) but if not, I may be making a purchase and doing a build myself.

On another note, if you are going the 42T OneUp might I suggest you consider their 16T sprocket as well. I did the 42T on my bike and at the time they did not have the 16T sprocket, but when it came out I figured nah... no need, I can adjust. Well... I can adjust but there have been times that I really could have used that 16T (long steady climbs) instead of the jump to 18, or too low at 15T (or whatever it is).
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Isn't this your "learn to xc-ski winter" ?? Actually its good to have both skiing and fat biking, they complement each other in the sense that ideal conditions for one are the opposite for the other
    Right, forgot about that. The sad part is that the snow is not coming. :-(

At least I started alpine skiing at Mount Saint Louis-Moonstone last weekend and it was fantastic, even if it all was man made snow. I shall carve me some more turns this weekend.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    Nice bike and build!! I also did not know that there was a Toronto based frame/bike builder! I have a sneaky suspicion Santa maybe making Fat Bike plans for me this Christmas (or some such bike plan) but if not, I may be making a purchase and doing a build myself.

On another note, if you are going the 42T OneUp might I suggest you consider their 16T sprocket as well. I did the 42T on my bike and at the time they did not have the 16T sprocket, but when it came out I figured nah... no need, I can adjust. Well... I can adjust but there have been times that I really could have used that 16T (long steady climbs) instead of the jump to 18, or too low at 15T (or whatever it is).
    Thanks! The 16T comes with the 42T as a package now...should arrive early next week! Hoping my chain is still long enough...looking at the pic by the wood pile, my derailleur is just past vertical while on the 36T. And when I'm on the 11T the derailleur is straight out back and chain is a bit long imo. I don't think the LBS changed the chain length when I went from 32T to 30T chain ring which now may help me with the Oneup.

ps: - was also told by my LBS that The Mayor is all sold out as of early December, so whatever a dealer has in stock or coming in is all that's available.
    Good show for a noobie bike brand!!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka

Oneup Conversion

Really surprised to have my Oneup 42T&16T package delivered to my door on a Sunday morning!!! Perfect timing though... a drizzly day so got right on it. Easy conversion for SRAM X7 - only adjustment needed was the B limit screw, and I still have a few turns left before that screw bottoms out!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Really surprised to have my Oneup 42T&16T package delivered to my door on a Sunday morning!!! Perfect timing though... a drizzly day so got right on it. Easy conversion for SRAM X7 - only adjustment needed was the B limit screw, and I still have a few turns left before that screw bottoms out!
    Looks pretty sweet!
    On my XTR I found it was not super smooth shifting so ordered the RAD cage all reviews said it smooths it out by realigning the cage just a tad. It was supposed to be a 20min switch, but one of the bolts that hold the clutch together on the XTR was over loctited and ended up not wanting to come out, and that was after all manner of persuasion... so I ended up sending it back

You'll be pretty happy once you get outside though!!!

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

Muskoka
    Yep...from the bit I have read, this conversion goes better with SRAM than Shimano.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Nice! Looks like the chain just made it too. With 30:42, you should be all set for some ugly climbs.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Muskoka

Trail Test - OneUp Conversion

So with Xmas out of the way I was finally able to trail test the OneUp 42t/16t Conversion I added to my 1x10 Mayor. No doubt this is one of the best improvements one can do to the stock bike for anyone riding mostly on snow. Now I can easily spin up the steeper climbs without fear of blowing out a knee! This along with Grip Shift and 30T chain ring has the bike pretty much how I like it and I'm happy as a clam! All we need now is more snow...

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member

Meet The Mayor [o]

So with Xmas out of the way I was finally able to trail test the OneUp 42t/16t Conversion I added to my 1x10 Mayor. No doubt this is one of the best improvements one can do to the stock bike for anyone riding mostly on snow. Now I can easily spin up the steeper climbs without fear of blowing out a knee! This along with Grip Shift and 30T chain ring has the bike pretty much how I like it and I'm happy as a clam! All we need now is more snow...

Looks like it is dialed in. :-)

My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    I love it when I get a bike all sorted and everything is just like I like it. That looks like a perfect set up.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    cant wait to get out on mine!

humber river advocate
    it's a good system, had no problems with my set up
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    BCD

I'm wondering what the difference between the Pugsley and the RSD is/was?.. what was the change you were looking for that you found with the RSD that the RM or Pugsley (or others) didn't have..?

Also why the CrossTeck instead of the Forester? I have a 2012 Fosi and and looking for feedback on the Crossteck (maybe as a replacement for our van)

Best Wishes

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by db9 View Post
    BCD

I'm wondering what the difference between the Pugsley and the RSD is/was?.. what was the change you were looking for that you found with the RSD that the RM or Pugsley (or others) didn't have..?

Also why the CrossTeck instead of the Forester? I have a 2012 Fosi and and looking for feedback on the Crossteck (maybe as a replacement for our van)

Best Wishes
    Early last winter I looked into upgrading the wheels and tires on my Pugs to lose some rotational weight and improve traction and float. Both shops seriously into fat bikes in Muskoka (A/O and M/O) came in ~$800+tax to do that. And I would still be more or less limited to a 4" tire, at least on the rear. I balked...just didn't seem worth it to me at the time. We had such a heavy snow winter up here last year that I only skied and snow shoed until almost spring anyway, so forgot about it. This winter I took a different tack...try to sell the Pugs, and with the proceeds plus not that much more additional monies than I was quoted for the upgrades I could buy a new state of the art ( ie more mtbike, less touring centric) bike with lighter wheels, 5" rubber, carbon fork etc. So that's what happened, I got my asking price for the Pugs and was all set to buy the RM Blizzard. I have some specific criteria that eliminates a number of frames. One is budget, I'm not going to put out $3-4K for a bike that I ride only on some weekends (as said, I also ski, shoe, and work full time) for 4 months of the year and very occasionally for the rest of the year. My BikeTowLeash for my dog has to fit into the frame where the seat and chain stays join, a lot of frames have a very wide angle there. Carbon is out for the same reason. As are inboard mounted rear brakes. And I wanted to buy local in Muskoka and preferably Canadian brand.
    The RM Blizzard met these criteria, as did The Mayor. The Blizzard is a very tight fit for Lou in the rear, too tight imo. Also I started to read about numerous rear hub failures on the RM too. The Mayor had a slightly better price but because it also came with SRAM it was cheaper also to switch to Grip Shift, which is another must have for me. The RM comes Shimano so I would have had to replace the derailleur too. I had not seen The Mayor but had seen the Blizzard. I thought the Blizzard was a much better looking bike until I saw the Mayor. Pete at Muskoka Outfitters knew what I was looking for, built up The Mayor on a Thu night knowing I was coming in on the Fri. The bike looked fantastic, and after a test ride just to verify fit I was sold! So the Mayor weighs under 32 lb with pedals and 5" rubber, my Pugs weighed over 35 lb without pedals and 4" rubber. If I was doing it again I might pay for 1x11 but at the time I didn't think it was worth the $400 extra! I have since added the Oneup 42t/16t for $100 and it is doing exactly what I needed on the steeper climbs! Also Pete swapped out the 32T chain ring for a 30T for me at no cost.
    The other bike briefly on my radar was the Specialized Fat Boy just because it comes stock with SRAM Grip Shift. But I don't like the name Fatboy (zero imagination there) or the look (derivative) and couldn't get past that lol!

Regarding the Crosstrek. I want the smallest vehicle possible to do what I need it to do, smaller vehicles are just more fun to drive imo. I test drove both as they both were candidates. It came down to two or three things. First was seating position. The Forester has classic van or SUV seating, ie higher seating like sitting on a chair. I don't like that, I find it tiring and uncomfortable on long trips. I prefer lower to the floor seating, like in a sports car or sports coupe with the legs more stretched out. I can drive all day in that seating position. Also the Forester drove and felt pretty much like any other SUV, whereas the Crosstrek somehow has a more rugged, jeep like demeanor on the road that appealed to me right out of the gate. I only tested MT in both, has to have stick shift to be on my short list. And finally I just like the look of the Crosstrek, its a bit sporty and rugged looking all in one whereas the Forester styling is pretty much like any other SUV.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka

Happy New Year!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    BCD
    Thanks for the info and great pic's as always..