Mechanics familiar w/Freeride setups (TO)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Mechanics familiar w/Freeride setups (TO)

Aight,

Here's the deal...I'm building up a FS freeride frame this winter (still hemming and hawing over which one). Now, I am comfortable putting most stuff on my bike (I've taking "advanced" repair courses at an LBS where I used to live), but there's some things I'm not comfortable with. Things like pressing in a headset, wheelbuilding (thought about giving it a try since I theoretically know how to do it and can true a wheel pretty well, but I'd like to see it done or at least know someone to ask questions to when I **** up), and possibly hydro brakes (looking at Hope M4's or possibly the new Hayes El Caminos, depending on if they live up to the hype). Also things like internal fork adjustment (probably getting a 170mm 888) which I've never done.

So, in short, I'm looking for recommendations of mechanics/shops who are well versed in the world of big bikes. I've seen more than a couple mechanics who have done questionable work on my g/f's bike (warranty), and I don't want to deal with someone who's never seen a triple clamp fork or a 1.5 headset before. Also, looking for a shop that won't mind me bringing in a component and partially assembled bike, neither of which I bought there, and put it together (yes I know they get labor fees, but some shops aren't keen on doing that).

Sorry about the long email...I suck. Anyway, any suggestions would be much appreciated. Oh yeah, I guess it would help to say that I'm in midtown TO.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Terry at Trailblazers on Danforth is a Marz whiz ... I'd pass him the fork for sure, also had him do some headset work for me.

I've had wheels built at Duke's with no problems but they're usually very busy and it can be a pain to schedule it in.

Mar 2004

Cyclepath Bloor West, nuff said.

Sean or Brent or any of the mech's there will hook you up and steer you right. I take all the stuff I can't do myself to these guys. It's my local shop and I stand by 'em...you won't get 'tude like you do at Dukes either. Bloor and Dufferin...go there, mate. Oh yeah, they don't care that I didn't buy either of my bikes from them, but I have been going there for years for parts. Either way, they are well versed in big bikes, dual crown forks, FR/DH rigs etc etc. I trust them implicitly with my 4000$ Cove or my equally as valuable Intense. Cyle Solutions on Parliment and on Kingston rd. are great shops too though I don't know much about their service department. They sell plenty 'o FR bikes and parts, and seem to be knowledgable about the goods. I buy stuff from them all the time. Don't tell Cyclepath. If yer worried about hitting up a new shop you could mention to Cyclepath that I refered you via the internet. It's not like I'm the King of Kensington or anything but I do have a great relationships with all the guys there, especially the owner Pete. Try it, can't hurt.
    Gabe
    Gabe
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    Aight,

Here's the deal...I'm building up a FS freeride frame this winter (still hemming and hawing over which one). Now, I am comfortable putting most stuff on my bike (I've taking "advanced" repair courses at an LBS where I used to live), but there's some things I'm not comfortable with. Things like pressing in a headset, wheelbuilding (thought about giving it a try since I theoretically know how to do it and can true a wheel pretty well, but I'd like to see it done or at least know someone to ask questions to when I **** up), and possibly hydro brakes (looking at Hope M4's or possibly the new Hayes El Caminos, depending on if they live up to the hype). Also things like internal fork adjustment (probably getting a 170mm 888) which I've never done.

So, in short, I'm looking for recommendations of mechanics/shops who are well versed in the world of big bikes. I've seen more than a couple mechanics who have done questionable work on my g/f's bike (warranty), and I don't want to deal with someone who's never seen a triple clamp fork or a 1.5 headset before. Also, looking for a shop that won't mind me bringing in a component and partially assembled bike, neither of which I bought there, and put it together (yes I know they get labor fees, but some shops aren't keen on doing that).

Sorry about the long email...I suck. Anyway, any suggestions would be much appreciated. Oh yeah, I guess it would help to say that I'm in midtown TO.

Thanks
    Last edited by lambhead; 10-28-2004 at 09:45 AM. Reason: more info

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sweet. Thanks a lot guys! Yeah, I've browsed around Duke's once, didn't much care for the guys I talked to. Cyclepath is a bit closer for me, so I guess I'll try them out first.

Cheers!

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    Sweet. Thanks a lot guys! Yeah, I've browsed around Duke's once, didn't much care for the guys I talked to. Cyclepath is a bit closer for me, so I guess I'll try them out first.

Cheers!
    Terry at TrailBlazer's is a god amongst mortal mechanics. He is a factory pro rider for Mountain Cycle and has been wrenching for a long time. When I was on the Trail Blazer Cycles team he always worked on our bikes and never failed to impress. He builds the best wheels I've ever owned, bleeds brakes the best (the Ontario Hope rep goes to him to get work done), and does custom work with forks including Marzocchi's, Manitou's, and Rock Shox. I don't ride for Trail Blazer's anymore but I still take my stuff to him when I need a professional's touch. Honestly, if you go to him you will not be dissapointed - he really knows his ****.

If you do go to him, tell him Miko sent you.

T.Dot Represent
    cycle-solutions have been great to me, they even have 88r's in stock aswell s other forks and tires etc

416-972-6948 s their number, awsome store
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

Members who have read this thread: 0