map of Ganaraska forest needed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

New question here. map of Ganaraska forest needed

I'd like to go biking in Ganaraska forest (East of Toronto), but can't find a decent map of singletracks online. The one from the official web site is not accurate enough. I read that the forest is huge, so I feel a bit intimidated.
    Do they sell a good map at the park entrance?
    Als, any recommendations for a nice single-track trip?
    Thanks

Aug 2005
    The Rider Mel's Mountain Bike Guide to Ontario has a map and description page for Ganaraska Forest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Your best is to go riding with one of the locals so that you don't get lost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Do a google search for the GRCA & contact them. They were working on a new map in the spring. Also, they've been putting up markers, so w/ a map you should know where you are. A GPS is handy in there.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Apsley, Ontario, Canada

Jan 2004

got one yet?

Quote Originally Posted by stanbike
    I'd like to go biking in Ganaraska forest (East of Toronto), but can't find a decent map of singletracks online. The one from the official web site is not accurate enough. I read that the forest is huge, so I feel a bit intimidated.
    Do they sell a good map at the park entrance?
    Als, any recommendations for a nice single-track trip?
    Thanks
    Hey there...

Not sure if you got a map yet. They do sell a very good one at the Forest Center which is open on weekends. You will get dreadfully lost without a map until you know the forest. You will never find the nice single track without a map either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I got a map of the West forest from the forest center. The map was very good, and I got lost only once (found my way within 20 minutes). Getting lost and claiming the map was good may sound ironic, but the forest is big, lots of trails, and it's easy to get lost.
    Anyway, Ganaraska forest was a totally different experience than what I'm used to (Durham forest, Boler Mountain, Kolapore, Mansfield...). Mostly because there is sand everywhere. At first I was discouraged, but I took it easy (didn't bother attempting climbing up, just walked the bike), and stayed on the trails for 3 hours. I mostly stayed on a dirt-bike-meant single track. Going down along a sandy, partially rooty/rocky trails was quite fun, and overall, the trip was an enjoyable experience.

Jan 2004

try the Central and East

If you head that way again, I'd suggest trying the Central Forest. It is off limits to dirt bikes and is not very sandy i.e. you don't have to walk up any sandy hills. A good map is also available for it and lots of single track, I always ride there. A few hidden recent single track additions are out there but the map has more than enough to keep you busy.

Also, the East forest has a nice single track ride (about 20 km) accessible from parking lot E2 (south of Millbrook)...which can also be reached from the central forest (long ride).

I have never ridden the West Forest mainly because a map just became available for it...but I want to try (I have heard it is alot sandier than the central and east though).

I understand the whole getting lost with a map. They should likely have warning signs at the entrance warning against going in without a map...it is pretty easy to get turned around and lost with a map. I think it is a great place to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chomp
    If you head that way again, I'd suggest trying the Central Forest. It is off limits to dirt bikes and is not very sandy i.e. you don't have to walk up any sandy hills. A good map is also available for it and lots of single track, I always ride there. A few hidden recent single track additions are out there but the map has more than enough to keep you busy.

Also, the East forest has a nice single track ride (about 20 km) accessible from parking lot E2 (south of Millbrook)...which can also be reached from the central forest (long ride).

I have never ridden the West Forest mainly because a map just became available for it...but I want to try (I have heard it is alot sandier than the central and east though).

I understand the whole getting lost with a map. They should likely have warning signs at the entrance warning against going in without a map...it is pretty easy to get turned around and lost with a map. I think it is a great place to ride.
    When I went there I didn't know which of the three sections to do. I gave up on the central, because 90% of the trails on the map were NOT single track. Sounds like the Eastern forest might be a good choice.

Jan 2004

Don't be so sure about the Central

When I went there I didn't know which of the three sections to do. I gave up on the central, because 90% of the trails on the map were NOT single track. Sounds like the Eastern forest might be a good choice.
    There are some main forest access roads and township roads to steer clear of (black ones on the map)...they mostly run east/west--very sandy and crappy. The others marked as ski trails (Orange) are classified as double track, but are not really forest roads. I'd classify a lot of it as really fast single track If you stick to the outer loop (one of the orange trails) and hit what is marked as single track (green) it is a great ride, like I say, there are some unmapped portions of single track (3 that I can think of) that are fantastic...if you follow along the orange you will find the unmapped single track because they are ridden a lot. Stick to the Orange and hit the green single track of it (according to the map) and I guarantee that you won't be disappointed. Not overly technical, but it has a lot of climbing and fast decents, overall a great ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    , there are some unmapped portions of single track (3 that I can think of) that are fantastic...if you follow along the orange you will find the unmapped single track because they are ridden a lot. .
    Would you be able to plot the approximate layout of these singletracks on the attached map? (downloaded and compressed from: http://www.grca.on.ca/ganfor.htm)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jan 2004

...I will try

Would you be able to plot the approximate layout of these singletracks on the attached map? (downloaded and compressed from: http://www.grca.on.ca/ganfor.htm)
    The first time I was there I was going to use that map...Man would I have been lost and bored because I would have been stuck on crap trails...anyhow, I can try to indicate where stuff exists...do you have the Central Forest Map? The good one, sounds like you have the good one for the West?

If you do, I can outline where the unmapped sections are on the attached image and use the Central Forest map as reference...I'd use the checkpoints on the map CF12, CF15, etc for reference points...If you don't well...I can try my best!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The first time I was there I was going to use that map...Man would I have been lost and bored because I would have been stuck on crap trails...anyhow, I can try to indicate where stuff exists...do you have the Central Forest Map? The good one, sounds like you have the good one for the West?

If you do, I can outline where the unmapped sections are on the attached image and use the Central Forest map as reference...I'd use the checkpoints on the map CF12, CF15, etc for reference points...If you don't well...I can try my best!
    When I go to the Central Forest, I'll buy the good map too. So the ouline on the image above and checkpoints should work well. Thanks.

Jan 2004

...ok

When I go to the Central Forest, I'll buy the good map too. So the ouline on the image above and checkpoints should work well. Thanks.
    Headin' out for the weekend...I will consult the map and try to illustrate/describe the optimum route...how many kms is a good ride? I wonder too if the new map might have some of this stuff marked...

Hey, if you want to find out where the trails are, there is a race there next weekend (Sept 24) called Paul's Dirty Enduro...15, 30, 60 and 100 km...none of them loop around twice...yes, the 100 km is one loop...

Not back till Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    20,30 or 40km? I don't know, it depends mostly on how hot it is...
    I'm not much of a racer, and I don't think I would come on Saturday, although riding along a marked loop is tempting.
    cheers.

Jan 2004

ok...

20,30 or 40km? I don't know, it depends mostly on how hot it is...
    I'm not much of a racer, and I don't think I would come on Saturday, although riding along a marked loop is tempting.
    cheers.
    Hey there...

That 'race' on Satruday is only sort of a race. It is more of a fundraiser. Anyhow, I have never done it either...think about it lots, but never go through with it...

As far as the map goes...I always forget how HORRIBLY USELESS that other one is until I look at the good one. They should have a disclaimer on their website or a warning to not use that map for cycling. There is no way I can help you with that one. If you have access to a fax machine, I will fax you the GOOD map (most of it) or I will photocopy and snail mail it outlining where the unmapped portions are and optimum routes.

Let me know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks, I sent you a PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I went to the Central Forest yesterday, and had a chance to check these extra single tracks recommended by chomp. I'm so happy he chimed in, because there are only a few marked-on-the-map singletracks in Central Forest, and I would have found the ride a bit boring otherwise. Didn't manage to do the whole Central: went all the way North from the Forest Center, but ran out of steam at some point and gave up the longer single track in the Eastern part. I'll do it next time.
    Honestly, I don't know why there are so few single tracks in the Central forest. There is lots of space to lay down new tracks without making it overcrowded with trails, and the $10 admission fee should give the owner stimulus to make the ride more mountain bike friendly. There was another race out there yesterday morning, and looks like this place is super profitable. Shortage of single tracks is probably because the trail system was developed mostly with cross country skiers in mind.
    My overall impression is that it's a great forest, with the large size making it an adventure trip, but the trail system is not geared towards mountain biking. I'm sure I'll go there again, but considering a fairly high admission price and shortage of single tracks, I wouldn't rate this forest as a top-notch biking destination in Ontario.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Now I feel like I was too critical in my trail review above. It's a great place, only slightly less biking oriented than other places I know.

Oct 2005

There's loads of trail in the Central

There's loads of trail out there to be riden. The past 3 years I've been helping to clean/mark trail for the race chomp posted about, Paul's Dirty Enduro, and there's way more trail out there then you think. I have the race map from this year still, it's more detailed then the one they give out, show's other bits of single track, also has the CF reference points mapped out. I'll take a scan of it and send it to you if you'd like. I might also be riding up there some weekend in the next month or so. The only problem that the Gan has is that it's not marked, you have to ride with someone who knows the trail or you'll get lost, because the east/west roads don't really have signs. But when you get to know the cross roads it's alot better cause you can take that other single track you haven't been on and find your way back by road if you have to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduro_Man
    There's loads of trail out there to be riden. The past 3 years I've been helping to clean/mark trail for the race chomp posted about, Paul's Dirty Enduro, and there's way more trail out there then you think. I have the race map from this year still, it's more detailed then the one they give out, show's other bits of single track, also has the CF reference points mapped out. I'll take a scan of it and send it to you if you'd like. I might also be riding up there some weekend in the next month or so. The only problem that the Gan has is that it's not marked, you have to ride with someone who knows the trail or you'll get lost, because the east/west roads don't really have signs. But when you get to know the cross roads it's alot better cause you can take that other single track you haven't been on and find your way back by road if you have to.
    I bought the high-quality map of the CF, so there is very little danger of me getting lost; even if I do, I should "recover". Chomp faxed me a map with a few singletracks not marked on the official map (big thanks to him!). If you know more I would be grateful if you could get me some info.
    And the scenery of this forest is awesome - might as well be the coolest forest I have ever ridden.

mtbr member

E2

I used to ride E2 in the late 90's and it was great. I stopped there in 03 and part was being logged. Is it back to it's former glory?
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Sep 2005
    Why not buy a membership? It only cost $40 for the year(alot cheaper than hardwood hills) I used to live on the edge of the Ganny. Try starting at other places like Garden Hill( just follow the road beside the pond and park at the end), or try staring west of MillBrook. There is enough single track through the whole forest to keep you lost for a day. Buy a couple of topo maps and study them, go exploring. This is the only way yo will learn the forest with someone guiding you. Besides it's more fun this way. Wish I could ride the Ganny, but now I live in Thunder Bay where the is no trail system this extensive.

Jan 2004

Enduro Route Map

Hi there,

I would love to see the map of the Enduro Race if you could scan one. I know the Central and East Forest pretty well, have no clue about the West Forest. I find new single track sections every couple years it seems. I have been riding there for about 5 years now.

I would really like to see where the race takes you, and see if there is anything out there I am missing!

Hope you can post it or I can provide an e-mail address.

Thanks!

Oct 2005

Race Course Map.....finally

Ok I'm a dumb ass for taking so long. I was just in the middle of packing up to head south, but now I'm back, with the map none the less. Hopefully you're still keepin' an eye open.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Enduro_Man; 01-13-2006 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Re-do Pic

Jan 2004

Sweet...

Thanks a million. Thanks to Stan I have a map of the West (the enduro didn't go over to the East?) and it helps a great deal to have a good route to follow!