Looking for a vacation spot near the ocean- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Looking for a vacation spot near the ocean

What's up you Hosers? Im from central New Hampshire and im thinking I would like to take my wife and drive up to for some kind of mtb trip in eastern Canada near the ocean. A few years ago I watched some great video of some beautiful trails up along top of a sea wall. But I totally for get where they were. Even if the trails aren't right on the ocean I would like spend some time exploring the coastal towns and areas some where. The trails can't have any mud or bugs on them JK we love a good DH but aren't afraid to climb for it. We both have trails bikes and a few to chouse from depending on the trail. We aren't afraid to do some exploring but would love a tour and would glady buy beers or donate a bottle of scotch. We also could give a tour of our local trails. I live 20 mins north of highlands bike park and have a number of local networks from shuttle to XC, no HABS fans! Jk

Thanks for your help ah
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Also, here is a GPS file for an event I put together last year.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/9250213

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vice grips View Post
    What's up you Hosers? Im from central New Hampshire and im thinking I would like to take my wife and drive up to for some kind of mtb trip in eastern Canada near the ocean. A few years ago I watched some great video of some beautiful trails up along top of a sea wall. But I totally for get where they were. Even if the trails aren't right on the ocean I would like spend some time exploring the coastal towns and areas some where. The trails can't have any mud or bugs on them JK we love a good DH but aren't afraid to climb for it. We both have trails bikes and a few to chouse from depending on the trail. We aren't afraid to do some exploring but would love a tour and would glady buy beers or donate a bottle of scotch. We also could give a tour of our local trails. I live 20 mins north of highlands bike park and have a number of local networks from shuttle to XC, no HABS fans! Jk

Thanks for your help ah

Here's what I know of.

Cape Split, north of Wolfville/Kentville will give you some dramatic views. I haven't ridden it in years and when I did, people generally rode in early or late season to avoid the hiking crowd.

Beyond that, I'm not aware of other dramatic ocean view rides, except what Yanner has mentioned.

Most of NB, NS and PEI are all within an hour to two at the most of the ocean, so I'll highlight the best riding areas that I know of.

Rockwood Park, near St. John NB.
    Hillsborough, just south of Moncton, NB
    Kentville has a few sets of Trails in NS (beyond Cape Split), the area is very nice as well
    Halifax has a couple good spots to ride as well
    There are also trails in Miramichi NB, Edmunston NB, Truro NS, and I'm sure small sets in other places as well.

I know very little about PEI and if you are willing to travel to Newfoundland, hopefully one of the locals will chime in.

In saying all that, Fredericton probably has the strongest MTB scene of Atlantic Canada, but it's not on the ocean. If you are passing through, I could give you a tour of one or two of the trail systems.

All the local trails are on Trailforks.

In general, not too much elevation around here, most of the trails are undulating and relatively technical.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Thank you so much for your responses!
    I've taken a look at some of the trails in and around St John, that exactly what we are looking for. I've always wanted to go to NL. I spend a lot of time on the coast of Maine. There's nothing in the area that is mind blowing single track but it's totally different than the trails that i ride every day. I just love the ocean too, and to eat what's in it but not get eaten by what's in it. I really wish it was closer. Unless we fly it's going to take two very long day of travel by car and ferry. Which only leaves us a few days of riding after a day of rest or two. My back is not what it was used to and sitting is one of the worse things for it. It does look like it would be a great trip over there. Thanks for your help. Any other idears would be very appreciated. please if you'd like to take a trip to the south, and 1.25 hours south of KT trails look me up
    Once you go slack, you never go back!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm a St. John's, NL local so if you do decide to make your way up here shoot me a message and I'll hook you up with the proper information and perhaps take you out for a ride as well. Most of the trails with great ocean views are part of the East Coast Trail which is "officially" off limits to MTB. That said, the trails are on crown land so they have no means of enforcing that in any way and we've been riding parts of that trail system since before the ECT was even a thing so we're not likely to stop now. There's not enough traffic on the trails to be concerned about it and I've never had any sort of confrontation with hikers up there. Besides those trails there are 3 well developed trail systems within 10 minutes of downtown 2 of which are essentially MTB specific (White Hills and Petty Hr. Long Pond) and one that is officially shared use (Pippy Park). The PP trails are the easiest of the bunch and there are some nice views available.

White Hills is more technical but Subnet is a must ride. There is one MTB-specific and sanctioned trail at White Hills(Oceanside) that runs along the cliff edge and offers some spectacular views but you'll need to stop to enjoy them because the trail demands your full attention. There are also a few (very) gnarly DH-ish trails that go down to the water on the southern flank of the hill. The view from the top is pretty awesome. I often do a loop of Subnet and then go ride Oceanside or one of the DH trails (Long Way Round, usually).

Petty Hr. Long Pond is even more technical than Subnet and is the rawest, most natural trail system in the city. There are a few different routes up there but the main one runs right along the top of the hill. It's mostly wooded but there are nice views in a few spots along the way.

I think you could hit most of the trails around St. John's in a couple of days, including the ECT bits (Torbay to Flatrock, Shea Heights to Fort Amherst and Cape Spear) but you could ride most of the trails multiple times without getting bored. Hell, I ride PHLP several times a week and have been for years and rarely clean it.

There are also lots of places to ride on the west coast. Corner Brook has some well developed trails and there are a bunch of trails in Gros Morne National Park that now allow MTB. You can get a ferry from NS that docks about an hour's drive from the city but you'll miss the spectacular west coast if you do that.

Mud? There's no soil in St. John's so there's very little mud and most of the trails stand up to wet weather riding. Bugs? Bring Muskol or you'll be eaten by black flies and mosquitos.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Hillsborough has some of the best trails in the east and try Fundy National Park.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    You are getting some great responses, but I wanted to mention the Charlevoix region of Québec, north-east of Quebec City. There's no ocean, but you're getting the Saint-Laurence
    River and the mountain biking at Sainte-Anne would be top-notch. You could also visit Québec city, which is a pretty special city.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you'd like to consider adventure via rail trail, this goes through my neck of the woods, it's one of the ways I ride and from work

Plenty of sights and culture to take in, as well as opportunities to go off the beaten path.

A bicycle and a view - Saltscapes Magazine

Celtic Shores Coastal Trail, Inverness County Trails | A scenic cycling and shared use Coastal Trail in western Cape Breton, Nova Scotia

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamfromCanada View Post
    You are getting some great responses, but I wanted to mention the Charlevoix region of Québec, north-east of Quebec City. There's no ocean, but you're getting the Saint-Laurence
    River and the mountain biking at Sainte-Anne would be top-notch. You could also visit Québec city, which is a pretty special city.
    Beautiful region. They need to build a bike park at Le Massif!