Looking for a recommendation for cyclocross tires- Mtbr.com
    Lemmy Rules!

Looking for a recommendation for cyclocross tires

Hi all. I recently acquired an ultegra wheelset for my cyclocross bike, which I am looking to set up over the next little while and as the title of the thread might suggest, I am looking for a recommendation for tires. Here are my criteria:

1. Tubeless compatible
    2. Reasonably light
    3. UCI legal (I believe that means narrower than 33, but I stand to be corrected on this one).

The tires will see use exploring rail trails around the cottage, late and early season road training, races like the Paris to Ancaster, Kawartha Rube'eh, and Tour of Pelham, and some actual cyclocross racing too, albeit at a pretty amateur/weekend warrior level right now.

I guess that means I am looking for a good all-round tire that wears well, rolls smooth on the road and on rail trails, but that is not completely useless in wet or muddy conditions. Thanks in advance for your suggestions...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Tubeless limits your options. I ran Hutchison Bulldogs in P2A with stans on Ultegra wheels this year. But it would be a stretch to say they 'roll smooth' on the road. I think the Piranhas have a drier-conditions tread, but still not pavement-friendly.

Dry years in P2A I've run Vittoria XN file treads, which are a very fast-rolling tire around town and in the Don as well. But they are not tubeless, and if I took them past 60 PSI with sealant I bet they'll blow off the rims.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

sock puppet
    i would say tubeless is for skinnies... weekend warriors, me included, are better off with tubes... one of the best all around cyclocross tires are michelin mud2.

mud2 is important as the original mud is not nearly as fast as mud2. the thread pattern reminds me of good old mtb tires - michelin xcr dry.

you can definitely find faster rolling tire or better mud tire, but if you want one do it all tire - i'd give my vote to michelin mud2.

i used it on my rear wheel this year at p2a and was quite pleased with overall performance. had racing ralph in the front.

Lemmy Rules!
    @ ghettocruiser, I am running Bulldogs right now and they work for me just fine. I understand them not to be UCI-legal, though, because they are 35mm

@Okosolo - others have told me the same thing, but after the 5-flat debacle at this years P2A, I am a little leery of using tubes on the cross bike.

As far as I can tell, no-one seems to make a UCI legal tubeless-ready cx tire, which I find very hard to believe...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Not to be the guy to point it out but the 5 flat's had a little something to do with the rider... not the tubes

"Go till I blow..... chunks"

sock puppet
    I have been doing P2A for about 10 years now... had 1 flat total over that period of time.

at 195# i am pretty close to your weight...

at this time - i am not even thinking about TLR or tubular.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    As far as I can tell, no-one seems to make a UCI legal tubeless-ready cx tire, which I find very hard to believe...
    Competitive CX racers frequently use tubular tires. Those who don't probably wish they did, but can't afford investing in another set of wheels.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued
    Not so strange, given that the UCI changed its regulations right at the start of CX season. Wankers. Mr. Monster actually spent an evening in front of the TV cutting off side knobs from his Ralphs with calipers in hand, just in case they decided to get anal (they never did in the lower categories). Also, worth remembering that the specs the tire manufacturers give don't always match the actual width, given that it changes with pressure, rims etc. The pros will use tubulars rather than tubeless. As the season gets closer, you might see a wider selection appearing as manufacturers make new molds.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by misconceptionz
    Not to be the guy to point it out but the 5 flat's had a little something to do with the rider... not the tubes

Yes, but if I had tubeless, I would not have screwed up fixing the flat in the first place....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I've done P2A 13 years in a row without a flat, running tubes. This year, just for the hell of it, I thought I'd try tubeless. I had a mediocre result unrelated to any tire issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser on dropmachine last week

Taking the mud tires (set up tubeless with stans) off my road wheelset two weeks after Paris-Ancaster I find this:

An embedded stick the size of the valve stem. Never even noticed it during the race. It broke off flush on the outside and was visually just a little brown circle on the tire casing. Never would have noticed.

That would have been my race. I'll be tubeless again next year.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Lemmy Rules!
    @ Ghettocruiser - Are you happy with the Ultegra wheelset for cyclocross- as I said at the top of this thread, that is the wheelset I now have. I was planning on using it as a cx wheelset, but if I cannot find anything to run tubeless that is UCI compatible, I may use them on my road bike, and use my Fulcrum Racing 7's with tubes on my cross bike (although I am starting to reconsider that, based on your most recent post...)
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Not much insight, all I've used it for so far is a few commutes, P2A, and two or three Donut rides.

The rear got knocked a bit out of true in P2A, let me see how easy it is to true and get back to you.

Members who have read this thread: 0