Long Sock Classic- Mtbr.com
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Long Sock Classic

Long Sock Classic Ganaraska Forest Center

In for the 37k.

Let the tire argument commence.

Moderator Moderator
    I'm going to do the half marathon again this year. Was a tough / fun ride last year.

Ardent 2.4 front / 2.25 rear

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Word is 14 Stone will be trying to do this on his Fatbike.

Dan posted on FB about how this will be the cleanest podium ever.......why do people tempt fate with this stuff?

I Strava Hamburgers
    HAH.... .. maybe.

mtbr member
    I'm in this one as well for the half-marathon. This is my first shot at it.

I imagine I'll build some character...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DrugStoreCowboy View Post
    I'm in this one as well for the half-marathon. This is my first shot at it.

I imagine I'll build some character...
    The Ganaraska is....Character Building.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 05-13-2015 at 05:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately I cannot do this race. I cannot recover from an 8 hour solo in a week. I will be lucky to recover by the next O-Cup on May 24.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Lemmy Rules!
    Full marathon - was an awesome race last year but Serious is right - it's impossible to do this and an 8 hour solo a week apart and do well at both, as I demonstrated last year....
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Full marathon - was an awesome race last year but Serious is right - it's impossible to do this and an 8 hour solo a week apart and do well at both, as I demonstrated last year....
    So....will this be a training event or a actual race for you? What has your coach instructed?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Right or wrong....I registered for both...and will be doing the full marathon this weekend.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    Right or wrong....I registered for both...and will be doing the full marathon this weekend.
    The warning order has been sent to RCAF 424 Squadron. A SAR team will be standing by.

mtbr member
    It is never wrong, but it is gutsy.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

I Strava Hamburgers
    Full Marathon, and after the mechanical at Mansfield, I'll be looking to put in a good time.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    So....will this be a training event or a actual race for you? What has your coach instructed?
    It's actually both. I will go out and give it my all. Which might not be much as I did a long MTB ride on Saturday - rode from Caledon to Albion hills (27km), rode every trail at Albion (25km) and then rode back to Caledon (and it seemed like it was uphill all the way). I might as well have done the Epic 8 solo, now that I think of it...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Is going from 50km to 70km at ganaraska tough? I'm undecided about half or full. I've only worked up to 50km so far.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg View Post
    Is going from 50km to 70km at ganaraska tough? I'm undecided about half or full. I've only worked up to 50km so far.
    First question would be...how much time have you spent riding Ganaraska? Have you done Paul's Dirty Enduro there?

mtbr member
    I've been there once but with a couple of out of shape buddies so I rode real easy with them for like 12km. Never did pauls. I've ridden on sandy trails a few times in my local area but definitely not 70km worth.

Lemmy Rules!
    There's really only one way to find out, isn't there?

Seriously, there always has to be a first time for riding a longer distance than you ever have before, so why not go for it? It's a pretty supportive environment and there are feed stations to stop at - you won't get that if you just go out for a ride.

In terms of what to expect, there is a fair amount of climbing, and a lot of twisty single track, so you might be surprised how tough it is on your upper body. That said, the Ganny is an awesome place to ride and there is some great flow to the trails so it will be worth it. And if you can ride 50k, I have no doubt you can ride 70.

You may have to pay a little more attention to nutrition and fuelling during the ride, and my suggestion would be to try and hold back 10% from your usual race pace during the first lap, so you can finish strong after the second lap. If you ride with a heart rate monitor, maybe pay attention to keeping your HR out of zone 5, ride one gear easier on the climbs, and pay attention to your average speed and setting a consistent pace. And if you get tired, just keep moving forward at whatever pace you can. You will get there eventually and will know what to expect next time.

Or alternately, just go as hard as you can as long as you can. It's all good...
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    There's really only one way to find out, isn't there?

Seriously, there always has to be a first time for riding a longer distance than you ever have before, so why not go for it? It's a pretty supportive environment and there are feed stations to stop at - you won't get that if you just go out for a ride.

In terms of what to expect, there is a fair amount of climbing, and a lot of twisty single track, so you might be surprised how tough it is on your upper body. That said, the Ganny is an awesome place to ride and there is some great flow to the trails so it will be worth it. And if you can ride 50k, I have no doubt you can ride 70.

You may have to pay a little more attention to nutrition and fuelling during the ride, and my suggestion would be to try and hold back 10% from your usual race pace during the first lap, so you can finish strong after the second lap. If you ride with a heart rate monitor, maybe pay attention to keeping your HR out of zone 5, ride one gear easier on the climbs, and pay attention to your average speed and setting a consistent pace. And if you get tired, just keep moving forward at whatever pace you can. You will get there eventually and will know what to expect next time.

Or alternately, just go as hard as you can as long as you can. It's all good...
    Listen to Inglued.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your thoughts. Its always hard holding back during a race. Especially during the first few thinning kms when all you think about is the inevitable single track log jam up a head. I think I might go for the full. But I'm also at the tail end of a cold. Oi.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Ganaraska is raw, sandy, hilly and somewhat relentless in all 3.
    It is also IMO, some of the best riding we have in southern Ontario.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Ganaraska is raw, sandy, hilly and somewhat relentless in all 3.
    It is also IMO, some of the best riding we have in southern Ontario.
    Says the guy who skipped last years Paul's.😉 So that is why your going to ride the singlespeed fat bike to increase your penance.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    It's actually both. I will go out and give it my all. Which might not be much as I did a long MTB ride on Saturday - rode from Caledon to Albion hills (27km), rode every trail at Albion (25km) and then rode back to Caledon (and it seemed like it was uphill all the way). I might as well have done the Epic 8 solo, now that I think of it...
    I will be treating this as a "training" event with Paul's anniversary event the A event.

I Strava Hamburgers
    hah, we'll see bout that

Dog Slow
    I made a quick little video of my day at the LSC with the Lapdogs and friends

Lemmy Rules!
    Thanks for your thoughts. Its always hard holding back during a race. Especially during the first few thinning kms when all you think about is the inevitable single track log jam up a head. I think I might go for the full. But I'm also at the tail end of a cold. Oi.
    So how did it go? Did you do the full marathon?
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Review of the race from my perspective. Rocket Dog...FYI...I put your video in my review....hope that is OK!

RiotOnRacing: Long Sock Classic - The Race Review

mtbr member
    Thanks Riot for the report. Wish I was there. Maybe I should have been there. Instead I was at Kelso testing my bike's anti-crash feature. It does not work. I crashed very badly when I slammed into a stationary rider (I went wide out of a turn and he was too close to the trail) and flew over the handlebars. I have a bruised left kidney and a messed up back now. So frustrating, because this was at the very end of my ride.

So maybe no Kelso O-cup for me. :-(
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    So how did it go? Did you do the full marathon?
    I decided late friday night I wasn't ready for 70km yet and didn't want to risk reinjury. Its a 3.5 hour drive for me one way and I didn't think 7 hours of driving would be worth a 2 hour ride. So I didn't do it. I went for a 60km ride instead and that seems to be my limit now so I'm glad I didn't risk something longer.

Dog Slow
    Review of the race from my perspective. Rocket Dog...FYI...I put your video in my review....hope that is OK!

No problem man, glad you liked it

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Thanks Riot for the report. Wish I was there. Maybe I should have been there. Instead I was at Kelso testing my bike's anti-crash feature. It does not work. I crashed very badly when I slammed into a stationary rider (I went wide out of a turn and he was too close to the trail) and flew over the handlebars. I have a bruised left kidney and a messed up back now. So frustrating, because this was at the very end of my ride.

So maybe no Kelso O-cup for me. :-(
    Wow, that sucks! Heel up man...need you there to kick my arse!!
    I'm guessing the other rider was fine?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Dog View Post
    No problem man, glad you liked it
    Excellent, thank you!

mtbr member
    Wow, that sucks! Heel up man...need you there to kick my arse!!
    I'm guessing the other rider was fine?
    He seemed to be fine. I certainly hope he is OK. Right now I don't see myself racing on Sunday. But I am talking this one day at a time. We shall see.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member

Once again, you speak the truth!