local race series is driving me insane- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    LBS Manager
    Reputation: Johnny Hair Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    local race series is driving me insane

    The tuesday night race promoters at coulson hill for some reason feel the need to block the trail that are not on their course with logs branches and metal drums. They wedge the branches between trees sometimes at chest and head hight. On saterday a girl was pitched over the bars because half way down a hill they had one of there road blocks that she could not avoid in time. If the racers cant follow the big yellow arrows they also put up then they shouldnt be racing in the first place. I dont see why they cant revome any road blocks they feel the need to put up after the race is over it whould save me the truble. As it is I go in there and knock them down ever time I ride there. I complained about this to them last year and it has not stoped this is great place to ride if you dont have to stop every 5 min to take down a road block. What do you guys think of this?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    604
    If someone puts up a road block and doesn't take it down they're pretty stupid. If I was that girl and the road block didn't naturally fall there, I would discuss with a lawyer.

    They don't do this at Albion (I think Chico runs this) for their race series.

  3. #3
    LBS Manager
    Reputation: Johnny Hair Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,918
    It defintly did not fall naturaly it was some sort of tripod thing. I have almost hit some in the past comming around corners. They are dangerous and the guys putting them up only seem to care about the peple who follow the race course which by the way avoids some of the best single track.

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    62
    that sounds pretty irresponsible. are you sure it's the race crew and not some pissed off hikers???? which group runs the race???

  5. #5
    LBS Manager
    Reputation: Johnny Hair Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    Not hikers

    It is definatly the race organizers I spoke to one of them last year about this but nothing changed they say people need to practice on the course. I said cant they follow the arrows and got no resonse after that. It was cyclepath Newmarket that did it last year but I think they have gone out of buisnes.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Braids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    The tuesday night race promoters at coulson hill for some reason feel the need to block the trail that are not on their course with logs branches and metal drums. They wedge the branches between trees sometimes at chest and head hight. On saterday a girl was pitched over the bars because half way down a hill they had one of there road blocks that she could not avoid in time. If the racers cant follow the big yellow arrows they also put up then they shouldnt be racing in the first place. I dont see why they cant revome any road blocks they feel the need to put up after the race is over it whould save me the truble. As it is I go in there and knock them down ever time I ride there. I complained about this to them last year and it has not stoped this is great place to ride if you dont have to stop every 5 min to take down a road block. What do you guys think of this?
    They're doing this again?!??!? I thought they stopped last year.

    That place is managed by The Simcoe County Forest Service and the Ontario Cycling Association they are the people YOU need to complain too. I don't ride there anymore because they were leaving freak'n tape up and blocking trails and it was very dangerous.

    I think I know who is doing the races but I'm not 100% sure I'm not going to state it here. If you do know 100% sure who is doing the races I suggest you cc them on any communication to Simcoe County Forest Service and the Ontario Cycling Association. You could even go to the bike shop in person or the woman who fell could have her lawyer go instead. This is a tort and the shop and the Simcoe County Forest could be sued and then taxes go up, we lose access, more places close, you know the cycle. I just think the shop should be sued but you'd probably have to include the forest management too.

    I believe the races are held on Tuesday night but they may have been moved to Wednesday. If you were pissed off enough I would suggest going and talking to them in person.
    Last edited by Braids; 07-13-2004 at 12:52 PM.

  7. #7
    LBS Manager
    Reputation: Johnny Hair Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    I agree

    If I didnt work tuesday nights I would go and give them a pice of my minde but I cant. I dont think law suits are the answer because like you said the whole place will get shut down. I would just like to see them act responsibly and clean up after the race is over as far as people needing to practice the course ITS NO THE OLYPICS.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Braids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    If I didnt work tuesday nights I would go and give them a pice of my minde but I cant. I dont think law suits are the answer because like you said the whole place will get shut down. I would just like to see them act responsibly and clean up after the race is over as far as people needing to practice the course ITS NO THE OLYPICS.
    So you will be taking pictures and sending them to Simcoe County then?
    If I head to Mansfield this weekend from Toronto I may stop at Coulson's on my way back just to take pics and complain. The more people who care though the greater the chance something will be done about it!

  9. #9
    LBS Manager
    Reputation: Johnny Hair Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    that scares me

    I am a little afaid that going to simco county to complain, they might take the easy way out and close the place to bikes but I guess there is not much else that can be done. This place is alot of funn to ride and dont whant to loose it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Braids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    I am a little afaid that going to simco county to complain, they might take the easy way out and close the place to bikes but I guess there is not much else that can be done. This place is alot of funn to ride and dont whant to loose it.
    As far as I know, there is to be no motorized traffic in there at all. Do you think that's enforced? I'm also not sure if hunting is allowed in that forest. Do you notice the blinds up in the trees while you ride there? I've actually ran into some yahoos rabbit hunting with their dog and firing guns IN THAT FOREST!
    The only thing they will do is take permission away from that store from doing their weekly races or they'll clean up after themselves. Having the people putting on the races actually clean up after themselves will actually help us (mountain bikers) in the long run because if we're annoyed you can imagine what some of the non-cyclist users feel.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    If someone puts up a road block and doesn't take it down they're pretty stupid. If I was that girl and the road block didn't naturally fall there, I would discuss with a lawyer.

    They don't do this at Albion (I think Chico runs this) for their race series.
    Good advice...talk legal action right away. Then the races stop and the county close off access to the forest, to avoid future liability. I am sure there is a better way, but people do love to sue

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    604

    ...

    If the girl was really hurt and it was because of neglegence (sp?) then it's her right. If it was your friend or family member who got injured you may have the same opinion (especially if this should've already been dealt with).

    It sounded like people already tried to deal with this (last year) and the problem wasn't corrected (I have no information on this and have never been there, just giving my opinion on what I've read).

    Why don't you go for a ride there on a Wednesday and break your neck...but don't sue because your riding buddies will be pissed at you

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut
    If the girl was really hurt and it was because of neglegence (sp?) then it's her right. If it was your friend or family member who got injured you may have the same opinion (especially if this should've already been dealt with).

    It sounded like people already tried to deal with this (last year) and the problem wasn't corrected (I have no information on this and have never been there, just giving my opinion on what I've read).

    Why don't you go for a ride there on a Wednesday and break your neck...but don't sue because your riding buddies will be pissed at you
    I actually did ride there on Saturday, for the first and probably last time. I didn't see any problems, other then the trails are fairly boring. There were some barriers setup but they were easy to go around.

  14. #14
    LBS Manager
    Reputation: Johnny Hair Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    I took them all down

    If you didnt see any road blocks thats because I have been going in ther and removing them every chance I get.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Braids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    819
    FYI: to those who care this race series is happening again this year. Contact information for person doing this event is available on www.ontariocycling.org (OCA) under the race calendar. The race series starts May 3, 2005 and I hope it's different organisers or they've learned to clean up after themselves.

  16. #16
    LBS Manager
    Reputation: Johnny Hair Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    I couldn't find it

    I would send them an e-mail directing them to this thread if I could get the info.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Braids's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    I would send them an e-mail directing them to this thread if I could get the info.
    http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_pa...nfo.php?ID=215

    That is a link to his contact info. I really think the conent of this thread is really negative and I personally would not forward the link to him. If I ride there this year and see the same issues as previous years than I will email him. I'm not sure if it is the same organiser as last year or the previous years because I do not see any obvious shop association with the series now.

Similar Threads

  1. 29ers at our local race yesterday
    By ncj01 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 07:22 PM
  2. Cranky Monkey race series in northern VA
    By Northern Virginia Rider in forum Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 09:42 PM
  3. Coyote Classic race report
    By glenzx in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 01:31 PM
  4. 2nd round Ga state series xc race roday (pics)
    By Duckman in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 04:26 PM
  5. Kelso race series
    By 2wheelsgood in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-26-2004, 01:29 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.