A little sad...- Mtbr.com

Thread: A little sad...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

A little sad...

I'm a little sad. No more pre/post Solstice banter? Last I looked there were almost 2500 riders there. Where is osokolo getting in really good jabs on every topic? Has everyone gone into a political career and have given up on MTB-ing?

mtbr member
    It's a bit weird isn't it? I swear this sub was busier last winter. Guess that just means people are out, riding.

I had a pretty good time at the Solstice. Second year doing it for me. Thought the routing of the course was great. Love the backwards sections. The sand and dust though were really brutal. Couldn't breath right for a couple days.

Anyone ride at Albion since the race? I think the trails got pretty damaged, sandy and washed out, wondering if it's getting back to form, but we haven't had much (any?) rain since.
    ..now just tinker with our bikes and feed the cats. - oldbear52

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_o View Post

The sand and dust though were really brutal. Couldn't breath right for a couple days.

Anyone ride at Albion since the race? I think the trails got pretty damaged, sandy and washed out, wondering if it's getting back to form, but we haven't had much (any?) rain since.
    I was out on the weekend, and wondered about that. Some of the corners looked to have been quite widened out. There had been one night of fairly substantial rain, and for the most part the riding was excellent. Every year the roots come out a little bit more, but that is quite a slow process. It was mostly just some of the corners where the dirt had been thrown wide and piled up into berms. Reminded me of moto-bike trails somewhat. Could be they'd been built up like that on purpose and not just from the race, I don't really know. Other than that, what I presume were actually a few new sections which wouldn't have had time to settle much anyway were pretty soft. But considering how few people I ever see riding there on a normal weekend, I'm guessing something like 80% of the annual usage is probably the solstice event plus the tuesday race.

mtbr member
    Yeah there were some new sections added prior to the race:

New path on Live and Learn that avoids the small rooty drop that was getting a bit sketchy, Hot August nights got a lot of attention too, many of the roots were removed and I think part of it was rerouted as well. Probably more that I'm missing here. These new sections were very sandy and loose to start with, and quickly degraded.

I'm looking forward to getting back there to see the condition of the trails. I'm complaining about sand here but I still love the place and the efforts of Chico for their work on the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    It was my first solstice and my first race ever. Not a big racer, I ride for fun. Our team, while wanting to do well, was mostly there for fun.

I had never ridden Albion, so I didn't know what to expect. We did I pre-race lap Friday night, and I was thinking it was a pretty good course, and the climbing that I was concerned about was not going to be a problem. I liked the end of the course through what I think was hot August nights. Not sure on trail names. I looked forward to the rock garden with the 3 lines though it every lap.

Sat by the fire too late Friday night and didn't get a good sleep. Our team of 6 had a pretty good flow going with most running sub hour laps, and others just a bit over an hour. By my third lap I was struggling on those climbs that I thought would be no problem. I also had trouble in the loose sand sections. The one in particular was a switchback climb that was all sand. Couldn't find a line that I wouldn't spin out on.

I had trouble getting any sleep in between laps, which led to me passing my fourth lap to a teammate that was only going to be doing 3. Earplugs will be a must for next year! I also learned that I wasn't interested in cooking between laps. Next year I plan to just buy food instead of planning on cooking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Had a great race at Solstice this year, as usual! Course was very good, very fast...but holy cow the icing sugar like sand was brutal and just got worse! Won't complain though, A+ conditions compared to a couple of the brutal mud fests we've had in the past.

New team this year, great group of guys, worked out awesome!

First time racing SS...and it wasn't planned to be. Packing up my gear that Friday morning and found a crack in the rear triangle of my FS bike. Baptism by fire! Turned out better than expected...god some of those climbs were painful on the SS, but made it happen anyways. HTFU.

Solstice is always one of the highlights of my year. Still mourning the demise of Hot August Nights, sigh.

mtbr member
    we had a fun race despite the dusty sand and heat.
    would have preferred more single track thrown in but still lots of fun seeing lots of familiar faces again.
    we ended up in 4th in our category, we knew 1st was out of the question with Osokolo's (oggie) team in the same cat.
    it was probably good we had so much double track so the single track didn't get mangled up with these extreme dry conditions
    Team Van Go

the older I get the better I was

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Solstice was great! So hot...so soft and sandy. And the sand just kept getting worse every lap...(that soft switchback at the top of Rock n Roll!). Bit of a shame how they smoothed out Hot August Nights though. I pre-rode Friday too...thought the hills (or lack of) were great too...and shouldn't be a problem...by lap 10 or so though (I raced solo) I was feeling them...by lap 15 I was dying.

I too, am rather sad about the lack of banter from all of the usual suspect this season...is facebook taking precedence over MTBR??

I wrote a series of 3 blog posts about the event...
    Riot On Racing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post

Riot On Racing
    Had already read your blog posts, love em!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    We had two teams entered from my work. Sandy conditions challenged everyone. There were many stories of otb and washing out into the forest the new riders. Veteran's just seem to deal with it better. One of new guys broke 2 chains on Specialized demo bike on one lap. That must be a record! Those bikes take a beating. I have big admiration for the solo riders like Riot. That was very tuff conditions for 24hrs. Where did the bike lake go at Albion hills? I guess it dried up too.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    Solstice was great! So hot...so soft and sandy. And the sand just kept getting worse every lap...(that soft switchback at the top of Rock n Roll!). Bit of a shame how they smoothed out Hot August Nights though. I pre-rode Friday too...thought the hills (or lack of) were great too...and shouldn't be a problem...by lap 10 or so though (I raced solo) I was feeling them...by lap 15 I was dying.

I too, am rather sad about the lack of banter from all of the usual suspect this season...is facebook taking precedence over MTBR??

Riot On Racing
    I too read all of your blog posts! Great job at the Solstice. You and Ond are certainly super-human.

Members who have read this thread: 0