Liberty Bicycles 12 Mile Summer Series- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Liberty Bicycles 12 Mile Summer Series

Anyone hear of more news on this. Says it starts May 18. Not too far off. Very interested in it.
    Eric

bi-winning
    People hear what L!B says. The current line is that things will be made official soon.

http://www.libertybicycles.com/12mile/
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Here's the only news you need to know: L!B is awesome and so is their race series. Can't FREAKING wait!
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Just got that from Facebook:

Liberty! Bicycles
    ‎12 Mile Series Update
    We are working toward opening Registration for Saturday 30 April 2011.
    Pricing as follows...
    Full Series: $61.95 + HST (= $70)
    Full Series for ages 12 and under: $39.82 + HST (= $45)
    Single Day Entry for all ages: $17.70 +HST (= $20)
    42 minutes ago

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sign me up. That is going to be great!

mtbr member

Finally...

In-Store Registration is now open at L!B

All my faucets is Moen.
    Well.....are we finally going to get underway tonight?

Three days of heat and wind and the trails are still a mess? Arrrrgh!
    Clay trails suck.

Actually I'm optimistic and can't wait to get this series going again. Its been to long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    First post! woohoo!

I'm bummed it's delayed again... I'll be out later with paper towels trying to soak it up

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Too bad on race cancellation. They have to error on side of caution. Rode the tremont trails up to Brock and some down my 12 mile river. They were good, little bit of mud. Don't think those are in race. Need dry weather to next week.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by thebrooder View Post
    HA! those little kids were ripped! I've only been off cigarettes for 4 days now. I hear in about 2 weeks the black will be coughed up, but I felt 10 times better yesterday than I did last week that's for sure. Hoping to see a steady progression during the 8X12 races, and the course is tough for me so BRING IT ON all of you, but watch out for me at the end of the summer cuz I'll be like a lazer out there on my POS bushpilot. Cheers, see you out there
    Don't be hatin' on the Bushpilot.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

gay

Yay, more rain this morning! The 8X12 is turning into the 6x12. I think we need a designated trail for wet conditions, because this is rediculous. Kind of glad I didn't invest $3000+ on a bike this year that i'd never get to use.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Actually none of the races have been canceled, just rescheduled so we can still get all 8 in.

Rode the course last night and it was superfun. A nice big climb right in the middle that is going to put the hurt on. But don't worry, it ends with a fast twisty descent of awesomeness.

With the clear skies and heat scheduled to hit us for the next 24hrs the rain this morning won't have much of an effect and we should be good to go tomorrow.

Just a word of caution, keep your head up. There are a few ruts that will take riders if you aren't careful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I rode it too last night, 4 of us....was I with you? I was the one who couldn't keep up on those hills that seemed to go up forever, but it's still my first year so it can only get better. Ole' black lungs here will catch you guys one day.....

All my faucets is Moen.
    Ha. I guess I was with you. Don't worry Black Lung, you did just fine. Especially for your first year. Some people just set an unreasonable pace. Including me at times I suppose.

We'll get you running laps like those lacrosse kids, whip you into shape.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    HA! those little kids were ripped! I've only been off cigarettes for 4 days now. I hear in about 2 weeks the black will be coughed up, but I felt 10 times better yesterday than I did last week that's for sure. Hoping to see a steady progression during the 8X12 races, and the course is tough for me so BRING IT ON all of you, but watch out for me at the end of the summer cuz I'll be like a lazer out there on my POS bushpilot. Cheers, see you out there

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Good race last night. Flatted and crashed into thorn bush. Will be back for more. Way more climbing than I orginally thought. Niagara has some good riders.
    Eric

All my faucets is Moen.
    Thornbush eh? That must have been you I was talking to after the race with the 3 punctures. Ouch. I'm sure next week will be better for ya.

When I got to the top of that big climb my race was over, I burnt every match to get there. Doesn't help when the 7 fastest riders get away together before anyone else is on the bike. They must have practiced that.

Oh well, I reached my goal, top 10 and a great training ride for Albion O Cup.

Brooder, how'd you make out I didn't see you after the race. Did it make you take up smoking again?

RESULTS

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nope, still no smoking... I made it up every hill too, after that practice run Monday I was hoping to finish under 1:30, I finished at 1:06 with a few stops to make sure downed riders were ok. I'm thinking I'll crush that time next week. Those ruts on Suzannes put me down 3 times!!! Good job on the top 10, impressive. How do we see pictures if we don't use facebook? Good race, lots of fun, still have a thorn stuck in my leg too.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Joel Smith Photography took a few on the on the gravel path and last bit of road section.
    http://joelsmith.zoomphoto.ca/event/14599/

I don't know of any others though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    That's awesome, Thanks

mtbr member

how can I register for tomorrow night??

should I call Kurt at the shop?

mtbr member
    You can try but I would call first thing 9a.m. It says no day of registration.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Good race last night. Dry conditions. Paid for a slow start. Very hard course to pass afterward. Looking forward to next one.
    Eric

All my faucets is Moen.
    Yes, awesome race last night. And I didn't crash yay!

Somehow I actually managed to be 5th into the singletrack and stay on jcr1's wheel for about 2k after. Then I could hold no more. A few stronger riders caught and passed me but I finished with my best time yet knocking off 8 minutes off last week.

Yes passing is tough, I even accidentally drove into a ditch when I let DeCal by. Kid wouldn't stop b1tching Possibly cost me one spot. Usually find if you call it they'll let you get by. if they don't keep ridiculing them until they do.

Next 12 Mile race will be my first SS race. Can't wait, already found a rival.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Next 12 Mile race will be my first SS race. Can't wait, already found a rival.
    What what what? Singlespeed???

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    What what what? Singlespeed???
    Just converting my current bike to see if I enjoy it before I buy a proper SS bike that I might not want to ride. So we'll see.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Just converting my current bike to see if I enjoy it before I buy a proper SS bike that I might not want to ride. So we'll see.
    The first couple of hills will make you feel like your head is going to explode. Remember - sometimes hills are totally walkable, and that's no shame on a SS. What gear ratio?

All my faucets is Moen.
    I知 not exactly sure. I値l have a 32t on the front and right now I plan on an 18..I guess. The other SS弾r agreed to run 32:18 for the next 12 Mile Series race but I知 thinking that could be a bit light.

My conversion kit has a 20, 18, 16, 15 and 14 (I think), so I have a few options. A 32:16 (2:1) might work best for me. Trial and error to start.

Evil Jr.
    I知 not exactly sure. I値l have a 32t on the front and right now I plan on an 18..I guess. The other SS弾r agreed to run 32:18 for the next 12 Mile Series race but I知 thinking that could be a bit light.

My conversion kit has a 20, 18, 16, 15 and 14 (I think), so I have a few options. A 32:16 (2:1) might work best for me. Trial and error to start.
    Are you putting that on your Jamis or an older bike? I'd say that's a good starting point for a 26er but might be a bit much on a 29er (for starters).
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

All my faucets is Moen.
    That sounds like a challenge.

Edit: What does Team Monster run?
    It might be to soon to call but has this thread officially been hijacked?
    Last edited by thedumbopinion; 06-16-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Evil Jr.
    That sounds like a challenge.

Edit: What does Team Monster run?
    It might be to soon to call but has this thread officially been hijacked?
    Don't get me wrong. I'm a total cream-puff. On my "summer" Misfit, it's 32:18 all day, every day. (Mrs. is 32:20, which is where it's at on my "winter" Misfit.)
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Does anyone have garmin gps data they want to share from race? Neat to see elevation gain, speed and route. Got to get one of those.
    thanks in advance

dirt roadie
    Sure...here is mine. It's not all that accurate but will give you a good idea http://connect.garmin.com/activity/92691967. There's also a few extra mini laps at the beginning and end

All my faucets is Moen.

First Singlespeed Race!

Heck it was my first singlespeed ride.

This is not the race for SS as it starts with a flat ~2km gravel path and moves to trails that are very tight and difficult to pass in. So after spinning my legs off I got jammed up in the trails. Ended up running a few hills with people spinning their grannies.

You should have seen my 120 rpm attack in the park. Got my speed up to 22km/hr at max HR and passed someone on the flat.

Had a blast though. The SS is a ton of fun and a good challenge.
    But I think 32:18 is to light for this area. My rival ran a 32:16 and pulled a head right from the start. It was a veteran move.

Evil Jr.
    But I think 32:18 is to light for this area. My rival ran a 32:16 and pulled a head right from the start. It was a veteran move.
    On Tuesdays, Sean always makes us start up a hill so I don't normally run into this problem. Glad you had fun though!

Members who have read this thread: 0