LBS prices now better than on-line!- Mtbr.com
    Muskoka

LBS prices now better than on-line!

I've noticed this season that my LBS of choice is giving me prices at least as good as, and more often than not better than, on-line retailers such as JensonUSA etc. Anyone else finding this? If you are automatically buying on-line 'cause you assume it's cheaper option, better do some comparison shopping first!!
    Makes me feel good to buy local too!
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

Evil Jr.
    Are you talking about your new rig or just odds and ends?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Muskoka
    I'll say both although Jenson doesn't list 2011 Altitude 70 RSL so can't compare & they wouldn't ship Canada anyway. Suffice to say I got ~34% off MSRP from LBS so was quite happy! Odds and sods where I could make direct comparison, yes for sure cheaper

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    I found the reverse if we are talking the same LBS but I didn't buy a bike there?

mtbr member
    seeing the same face coming in to support the shop says a lot, and not coming in thinking that you DESERVE to get a discount also goes a long way.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Near north View Post
    I found the reverse if we are talking the same LBS but I didn't buy a bike there?
    different spelling but they could be in the ice cream biz?

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    I've noticed this season that my LBS of choice is giving me prices at least as good as, and more often than not better than, on-line retailers such as JensonUSA etc. Anyone else finding this? If you are automatically buying on-line 'cause you assume it's cheaper option, better do some comparison shopping first!!
    Makes me feel good to buy local too!
    I can't say that I have seen this. And I often shop at a couple of different locations. I am currently doing a rather extravagant build plan that I would say I have definitely found significantly lower prices online either through E-Bay or Pricepoint. While I would love to support a local shop, it's really hard to justify what is often up to a 40% delta in pricing. They unfortunately lose out with the distribution model we have in Canada.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Having gone through a new build this past winter, nothing wierd (Hope hubs/Arch tubleless, Shimano drive, Ritchey post/stem/bar, Hope brakes) I have found that in most cases my LBS (and there are a number of them) don't carry unique parts (for example - NoTubes and Hope brakes - hardly unique) but will order at a unbelievable price. OK I could have used something more common say Avid or Shimano disk brakes - but the prices are out of the park... Even when looking for stem spacers - 4 spacers (no name black alloy) they wanted 20$ !!

I support when I can - I look after 8 bikes (not all mine! 8-) ) and I do spend $$ on products that these stores sell at other times of the year - but most shops are only interested in selling a complete bike and servicing such from the standard product line (Trek, Spec, etc..) Ok I can buy that - but when I need spare parts and the manufacturer says " see our US rep" and the US rep says "see the Can rep" and the Can rep says "see your LBS" and the LBS says "it's not worth my time to order what you need, I haven't got a big enough order" I can't help but order online.
    Even 'standard' or small parts from the usuall suspects SRAM and Shimano are a pain because unless they can make a big enough order - they won't bother. I even have asked for them to ship and I will pay the Fedx - seems to be to much effort.

Oh well...

mtbr member
    Ok then different bike shop, I do buy from him then, but not because of price.
    Very nice person it's hard to be competitive with your hands tied by OGC, Lambert or Norco
    I thought you bought you bike one Rocky south of there.

mtbr member
    Very nice person it's hard to be competitive with your hands tied by OGC, Lambert or Norco
    I should also say I like the staff from the other Rocky dealer as well. but price not so much.

Muskoka
    I should also say I like the staff from the other Rocky dealer as well. but price not so much.
    I did get a quote there but not even close !!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    On the past 2 parts purchases he has been cheaper once shipping from on-line is factored in. And not just by a buck or two. On the one quote he was outright cheaper even b4 shipping was considered.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Muskoka
    Always awkward in a small towns setting with multiple shops and everyone in the riding community knows everyone else. I try to rotate my dollar(s) through them all and in making this one rather substantial purchase decided to get quotes from each, not play one off against the other, and then just go with whomever gave me the best price. Seemed to be the fairest thing to do all around, including for me.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Kudos to you for being fair (and loyal), but I've found that LBS prices aren't even close.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Kudos to you for being fair (and loyal), but I've found that LBS prices aren't even close.
    And typically that is the norm. I have been surprised otherwise more than just once recently and was wondering if others are finding the same thing. Based on your and others' responses, the answer is no.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    And typically that is the norm. I have been surprised otherwise more than just once recently and was wondering if others are finding the same thing. Based on your and others' responses, the answer is no.
    Maybe your shop just happened to have a line on the exact stuff you were looking for. Was it in inventory or special order?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Maybe your shop just happened to have a line on the exact stuff you were looking for. Was it in inventory or special order?
    Special order. One item is still back ordered actually.

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    I have bought stuff at that bike shop for very good prices but usually high end things can be sourced at much lower price(not their fault) definitely better pricing than a certain other bike shop in town

mtbr member
    For complete bikes the shop is hundreds cheaper than anything online.

Biting my tongue on tire prices.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

bi-winning
    When shopping for lower value items, like an 8 speed chain for your beater bike, your LBS is a great place to stop. You might be surprised to find prices on some items are very comparable.

However, when pricing out high end stuff like XTR / XX, you better have a strong relationship with your LBS if you want to get close to some of the online deals.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

I dd what you see there.
    You should comparison shop for everything, everywhere.

When I bought my truvativ stylo OCT crankset, they were going for around $220-$240 on ebay (shipped but no tax/duty). At one LBS they quoted $320 (plus tax as per "the book") and a week to get it in. At another LBS their original quote was "the book says $320 but I'll work with you and I could probably get it down around $300" and it would be there the next day so I ordered it. When it came time to pay, I guess his quote included taxes because he only wanted $300 even.

That's the one reason I like LBSs - I'm impatient! I like the fact that the 2nd LBS made the sale happen and it only took a couple of days until I had the parts in my hands, whereas I've found online sometimes people either don't bragain at all or if they do, then I worked overtime today and he was away the next day, etc etc., so the bargaining can take up to a couple days alone and then you have to wait a week or more for shipping etc.....

Hack Racer
    Chris King Sotto Volce Black 1 1/8" headset

LBS: 220 + HST, best price 210 + HST (1 week order). Full payment required before order placement
    Performance Bike / Aspire Velotech / Universal Cycles: $135 USD MSRP, in stock.

Universal had extra 10% off because of VIP10 coupon. I ended up going with Aspire Velotech as it was free ship.

CAD dollar 2.5 weeks ago was 1.05X CAD to USD. It ended up costing me 147 CAD (including tax by canada customs and USPS/Canada post handing fee).

147 CAD versus 237 CAD and same wait time.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheers! View Post
    Chris King Sotto Volce Black 1 1/8" headset
    Does CK still exercise those super-strict price controls?

mtbr member
    I wish I could just buy everything from my LBS,
    He lives just up the road from me but I can not...
    Good old CK has lots of competition these days times may be changing...I'm liking my I 9's a lot!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'm in the middle of building up my dream bike and the majority of the prices that my LBS has been quoting are at most, a couple dollars more than the cheapest I've found on line. Most have been slightly lower, even before factoring in shipping. This would be for Hope X2 discs and Pro2 hubs and the frame. For a Thomson stem and post, not so much though.

On a slightly related note, has anyone else noticed the number of new shops opening up in Toronto in the last year or so? There seems to be a bunch opening along Queen West (besides the rebuilt Duke's) and also along College. Not all are catering to commuters either.

Carl

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I got a pretty good deal on my bike from the LBS. I bought a Giant. Giant doesnt put pedals on their bikes anymore, so I obviously had to purchase some. I will say that it really ticked me off that the shop wouldnt take a penny off the price of them. Then they want to charge me full price for everything. They dont even come close to MSRP on most things. I have told them that I want to support them many times, but the prices stay sky high. Other than warranty, I dont think I will do much more buisness with them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloorwestSiR View Post
    I'm in the middle of building up my dream bike and the majority of the prices that my LBS has been quoting are at most, a couple dollars more than the cheapest I've found on line. Most have been slightly lower, even before factoring in shipping. This would be for Hope X2 discs and Pro2 hubs and the frame. For a Thomson stem and post, not so much though.

On a slightly related note, has anyone else noticed the number of new shops opening up in Toronto in the last year or so? There seems to be a bunch opening along Queen West (besides the rebuilt Duke's) and also along College. Not all are catering to commuters either.

Carl
    Well that is some great news, I hope that more bike shops can do it, this shows it can be done.

If this is true I think it's only happening because of the on-line pressure.

I did a bike this winter and the majority of it had to come from many different places. The U.S. was not that great for small parts the frame and the fork did come from there but the rest was from all over.

Evil Jr.
    A funny analogy came to mind last night while I was talking to a friend. He's retired and spends his days buying and selling high-end stereo equipment. He's forever going on about relays and tubes and whatnot and I just glaze over when he gets into this mode. I figure, if I want a new stereo, I'll just go to Best Buy and get something suitably shiny.

I probably sound about the same when I talk about where to buy bike parts to most "normal" people. Syntace post, Crank Bros. wheels, Syncros stem, blah, blah, blah...

I think the vast majority of people are just as happy walking down to a LBS and buying something suitably shiny.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    A funny analogy came to mind last night while I was talking to a friend. He's retired and spends his days buying and selling high-end stereo equipment. He's forever going on about relays and tubes and whatnot and I just glaze over when he gets into this mode. I figure, if I want a new stereo, I'll just go to Best Buy and get something suitably shiny.

I probably sound about the same when I talk about where to buy bike parts to most "normal" people. Syntace post, Crank Bros. wheels, Syncros stem, blah, blah, blah...

I think the vast majority of people are just as happy walking down to a LBS and buying something suitably shiny.

That's so very true.
    I've got that look many times. On running night it usually means change the topic .