Laundry question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Laundry question

Is there an easy remedy for laundering a jersey, so they smell clean when needed to be worn again. I have a problem lately where the jersey has gone through a full wash cycle, air dried and is sometimes downright nasty smelling, hockey equipment bag type odour. I have started to soak them beforehand in a dilute solution of vinegar and water with much better results, but once in a while it does not pass the sniff test. Repeated washings seem t have no major impact on the problem.

We have a front load HE washer here, and I am not a fan as they need to be fully loaded to use, you can't just toss a small load in. I don't use fabric softener, as it is suppose to harm the moisture wicking properties of the synthetics.

Steve

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Super easy solution. Stop wearing poly based fabrics. Merino wool ftw.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Super easy solution. Stop wearing poly based fabrics. Merino wool ftw.
    I wear a fair bit of merino wool items for hiking in the summer, and for base layers in the winter. I have never seen much for cycling. Any good sources for merino jerseys in the GTA that won't cost an arm and two legs?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    General reason tech fabric type jerseys stink so quick is..... the detergent. Most people use the liquid detergent. One of the ingredients is animal fat. Every time you wash it some of that fat stays stuck in the little "pores" of the jersey.

Add in body heat and a 30 degree day... ..... bleach.

mtbr member
    I asked this question several years ago in the women's forum & received lots of helpful responses

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...highlight=funk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've been using 2x ultra Sunlight cold water liquid for a few years without any funk issues. Sometimes I've left a few layers sitting in a plastic bag or a pile for a few days and it smells downright rank. Comes out of the wash smelling just fine. No pre-soaking, no bleach, no additives.

I dry them outside when it's nice weather for an extra fresh smell when I have the opportunity The UV in sunlight (not Sunlight) can kill a lot of bacteria that can cause odors.

mtbr member
    I always do a pre-wash and an extra rinse anytime I wash my bike gear. Works like a charm every time, even gets the stank out of the chamois.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudhead View Post
    I wear a fair bit of merino wool items for hiking in the summer, and for base layers in the winter. I have never seen much for cycling. Any good sources for merino jerseys in the GTA that won't cost an arm and two legs?
    Icebreaker came out with the GT line this year that is bike specific. It's all I want to wear now. It is more expensive, but my experience with merino is that it will last twice as long as the man made fabrics and it's way more comfortable.

As for the other problem, put a cup of vinegar in the wash. I have been using this for about 3 years now and it seems to work really well. It is also the easiest, since there are no extra steps involved.
    If it's really bad, you can pre-soak in vinegar, baking soda and detergent. I've heard this will get out the nastiest smell including a skunk flavored dog.

sock puppet
    sport suds detergent

front loader HE washer here as well. I use sport suds for EVERYTHING now and am extremely satisfied...

http://www.sportsuds.com/customertestimonial.htm

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    merino wool all the time.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainKat View Post
    Icebreaker came out with the GT line this year that is bike specific. I...
    O rly... suddenly

merino chamois.. interesting.

X-Ray Guy
    i used to use tide and sunlight before for my cycling clothes and noticed they were fading faster and not getting as clean. I switched over to Woolite and have noticed my cycling clothes to smell nicer, wick better and not fade.

More than a little slow
    Switch to wool. Not much in local shops so I go online. EWNR is good, Sugoi stuff also seems ok.
    Cheers, Dave

livin' large
    swobo merino jerseys are very good, and can actually go a few rides between laundering and not stink unlike synthetics. MEC also has merino base layers and t-shirts which are pretty good and quite reasonably priced.
    it tied the room together man!

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    Anyone reccommending Icebreaker for anything, should be applauded!

mmmmmm icebreakery goodness makes me happy.

Icebreaker and merino wool product will lead you to the next question.

Q: So the wool doesn't stink but my deoderant is ruining the colouring in the pits, what should i do?
    A: Go to the health food store and buy a natural mineral crystal deoderant, costs same as that Axe crap and lasts 8 times as long.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Once in a while, a bit of vinegar in the wash. About once a month.

Worked for me for years

KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    ...and did you know Vinegar will also stop your jeans from fading as fast too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainKat View Post
    ...and did you know Vinegar will also stop your jeans from fading as fast too.
    And it's great on fries too.

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    sport suds detergent

front loader HE washer here as well. I use sport suds for EVERYTHING now and am extremely satisfied...

http://www.sportsuds.com/customertestimonial.htm
    I have sent my request for a sample of the Sport Suds.

Thanks to the others that have suggested wool jerseys. I will try to find an affordable jersey before summer ends, and for after that I have my Icebreaker base layers to wear when its cooler out.

Steve

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Thank you Mudhead for asking, and Oggie for the sports suds suggestion! New life for my cycling clothing! I am astounded that one little scoop of this stuff can be as effective as it is. Very cool.

All my faucets is Moen.
    The comments below were posted on the Shorthills fourm. Haven't tried the stuff myself.

I think everyone has a favorite pair of shorts that you keep wearing and wearing cuz they are so comfortable ... but because they are a tech fabric, they start to take on this Funky smell. I have been looking for a tech fabric wash in Canada and finally found something at the Super Store in St Catharines.
    It is a Presidents Choice product call "MAX SPORT" it has eucalyptus oil in it and it seems to take the FUNK OUTTA YER SHORTS.

FYI- They don't have the MAX SPORT for H.E. washers yet.

mtbr member
    I did a bit too much pre-soaking of nasty gear and got a funk going in my washer.

Blank load with some bleach seems to have fixed it.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Evil Jr.
    President's Choice just came out with a new detergent they call Max Sport that claims:

"Formulated with eucalyptus oil for maximum odourfighting action perfect for washing activewear and sports gear with active oxygen to help fight tough stains."

We bought a bottle and just finished our old suds so we'll report back. It smells nice enough!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Is there an easy remedy for laundering a jersey, so they smell clean when needed to be worn again. I have a problem lately where the jersey has gone through a full wash cycle, air dried and is sometimes downright nasty smelling, hockey equipment bag type odour. I have started to soak them beforehand in a dilute solution of vinegar and water with much better results, but once in a while it does not pass the sniff test. Repeated washings seem t have no major impact on the problem.

We have a front load HE washer here, and I am not a fan as they need to be fully loaded to use, you can't just toss a small load in. I don't use fabric softener, as it is suppose to harm the moisture wicking properties of the synthetics.

Steve
    I have a front load also and it doesn't matter what size of load I put in. It senses the amount of clothing in it and adjust the water accordingly. I thought they all did that as that was one of the advantages of it..
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    I have a front load also and it doesn't matter what size of load I put in. It senses the amount of clothing in it and adjust the water accordingly. I thought they all did that as that was one of the advantages of it..
    We must have a cheap HE model here. Would be nice to the have a smaller load capability you describe.

I did order a sample of the Sports Suds, but I am still waiting for it to arrive. If there was a store selling it, I would have taken a chance on the product as the customer comments praise it so highly. Until then its a vinegar and water pre-soak for my stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Running Free (Running Free Canada) sells Sport Suds and another product that I have been using in my front loader as well "No Sweat" which also works well, actually their Markham store sells 3 or 4 different products for this.

I have also been using Icebreaker clothing for a while now and am very pleased with it. But, my last 2 rides/runs I have found them to be rather odorous which I find very strange. All my athletic wear gets washed with the No Sweat but on reading the instructions the large squirt (it is a liquid) I have been using is not enough, the instructions say 2oz alone or 1oz with regular detergent.

I may try the vinegar as well though as I am real close to the bottom of the bottle.

D

p.s. - Running Free also carries Icebreaker and I know the Ajax store has the shorts.
    Last edited by osteo; 08-09-2011 at 04:46 AM.
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    We must have a cheap HE model here. Would be nice to the have a smaller load capability you describe.

I did order a sample of the Sports Suds, but I am still waiting for it to arrive. If there was a store selling it, I would have taken a chance on the product as the customer comments praise it so highly. Until then its a vinegar and water pre-soak for my stuff.
    What happens when you only put a small load in it?
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have good results with either sports detergent like NikWax Techwash or baking soda instead of detergent.
    Baking soda seems to work best in warm water, I use ~ a heaping tablespoon per wash.

The baking soda has the advantage of being cheap and readily available.

mtbr member
    I have just been simply using the base wash from nixwax once every few months, but I also just though my stuff in the dryer with a dryer sheet and it comes out smelling fine. I know it is not the most environmentally friendly thing using the dryer in the summer but I do like to have my clothes smelling nice. Is there any other problems throwing this stuff in the dryer that I don't know about?? I have been doing it for a long time with all my tech stuff from camping stuff to biking stuff.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrastories View Post
    Is there any other problems throwing this stuff in the dryer that I don't know about?? I have been doing it for a long time with all my tech stuff from camping stuff to biking stuff.
    We hang dry all out tech stuff, especially the wool. I've always been a bit leery about "cooking" the Lycra in the stretchy stuff.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    What happens when you only put a small load in it?
    The spin cycle is never balanced, and quite a racket. Our landlord had to repair the washers drum once since we have lived here and blamed it on small loads. I don't know how much truth is in that, but I have read that the HE's cleaning action is partially due to the the friction of the wash items against one another.

mtbr member
    No HE machine here, been using this stuff and it works fine:

Costco - Nellie

No pre-soaking of any of my stuff, but I do wash the bike gear separately to keep everyone in the family happy
    Jerseys & socks are washed after every ride, gloves + shorts every 5 rides or so and camelback/helmet liner every 10. I hang up anything that is not being washed after a ride to let it air dry. Used to spray my armour with a mix of alcohol & water which removed any smell when it dried.
    In the summer months I wash the other gear more frequently based on the amount of riding and the temps.

I've got a bunch of different jerseys and don't have smell issues at all once washed. The merino stuff sounds great though ...

mtbr member
    I add sodium bicarbonate with the clothes in the washing machine in addition to the regular laundry soap. It effectively help removing odour.
    Guillaume

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HubbaMan View Post
    No HE machine here, been using this stuff and it works fine:

Costco - Nellie

No pre-soaking of any of my stuff, but I do wash the bike gear separately to keep everyone in the family happy
    Jerseys & socks are washed after every ride, gloves + shorts every 5 rides or so and camelback/helmet liner every 10. I hang up anything that is not being washed after a ride to let it air dry. Used to spray my armour with a mix of alcohol & water which removed any smell when it dried.
    In the summer months I wash the other gear more frequently based on the amount of riding and the temps.

I've got a bunch of different jerseys and don't have smell issues at all once washed. The merino stuff sounds great though ...
    +1 on Nellie's...I started using it this year and have been happy with the results.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2019 Scott Foil 10 Disc
    2019 Norco Search XR Steel
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6