Lake to Lake???- Mtbr.com

Thread: Lake to Lake???

mtbr member

Lake to Lake???

Anybody else doing the 50 km Lake to Lake from Port Colbourne to Port Dalhousie on June 20?? Website is at laketolake It's got some single track, some road and some in-between. I think tire selection and weather conditions will be important.
    I went for a 55km road ride on the MTB with knobbies up at the cottage yesterday to make sure I can stay on the bike that long without hurting too much. Felt pretty good.
    Last edited by langford; 05-31-2004 at 01:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'd like too but i'm not sure if the dr would clear me in time to get back into shape. I guess we'll see what the dr says on wed. However i couldn't resist yesterday and went for a short light ride along the main trail (stonedust based) that is out back of my place

mtbr member
    I live down this way and ride the trails this race is held on pretty regularly.

Unfortunately the race is always held on Father's Day and I promised the family I'd be home this year (after the Kelso 24-hour last year).

As for the race, it tends to be a real mud-fest. I would recommend waiting to register until you know what the forecast is going to be like for the week before the event. There's LOTS of singletrack so if it gets wet, you're in for one long, nasty, component-destroying and trail-wrecking ride.

Hopefully they'll get better weather this year.

HOWEVER, anyone else doing the Ride for the Heart on the Gardiner this Sunday?

Dan

They say I have a problem
    I would agree with Dan 100%!! That race can be brutal, that is why I have sworn to never do it again. We did some major damage to sections of the Bruce last year. At points during the race I was dragging my bike because there was so much mud stuck to the wheels that they could not turn freely. Luckily I didn't break anything, but did end up replacing my rear cassette, chain and re-cabling the bike because of the mud.

Now if the race was a little later in the year, say late July....Now that would be cool...Besides the mud, it really is a good challenge...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

bi-winning

Ya, its muddy...

Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    I would agree with Dan 100%!! That race can be brutal, that is why I have sworn to never do it again. We did some major damage to sections of the Bruce last year. At points during the race I was dragging my bike because there was so much mud stuck to the wheels that they could not turn freely. Luckily I didn't break anything, but did end up replacing my rear cassette, chain and re-cabling the bike because of the mud.

Now if the race was a little later in the year, say late July....Now that would be cool...Besides the mud, it really is a good challenge...

Rich
    ...but i plan on doing it for the second time this year. it is junk for your bike, but it is a challenge, and one of the few mtb events that take place in the area. it would be great if it was a little later on in the year...

Moderator Moderator
    I've rode that race twice now, and I'm not going this year. Its too much of a mud fest that completely ruins your bike. The first year I went I was all pumped up for it, the second year I was not so excited because I knew what I had gotten myself into again (as you can no doubt tell by the pic at the start line). The first 40 km are fun, the last 10 km are hell. Just my $0.02
    Last edited by Bikin' Bric; 12-11-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Jan 2004

langford?...are you a paddler?

Quote Originally Posted by langford
    Anybody else doing the 50 km Lake to Lake from Port Colbourne to Port Dalhousie on June 20?? Website is at laketolake It's got some single track, some road and some in-between. I think tire selection and weather conditions will be important.
    I went for a 55km road ride on the MTB with knobbies up at the cottage yesterday to make sure I can stay on the bike that long without hurting too much. Felt pretty good.
    Dude, I noticed your handle, "langford". So, that brings to mind Langford Canoes and Langford's, the store, that sells Langford canoes and Voodoo kayaks.

I have a group of friends who own Voodoo, Sun Velocity Expedition, kayaks, all purchased at Langford's in Ottawa. Three of us were out on the Ottawa River last night around sunset, after a short MTB ride in the bush. The water was like a pool of mercury, dead calm and silver as a mirror. Good ride. Good paddle.

To me, "kayak" = "water bicycle"

Pedal = paddle

Tandem bike = tandem kayak

Downhill bike = whitewater kayak

XC bike = touring kayak

Road bike = racing kayak

A kayak works the upper body on water, while a bike works the lower body on land.

old_dude

mtbr member
    Yer pretty sharp for an old dude! I have a 1975 Cedar and Canvas 16' Langford canoe in my garage waiting to get recanvassed and back on the water. Been too busy with bikes and biking this spring to get any work done on it.

I do mostly flatwater stuff, I have 2 -16' fibreglass canoes too. I keep telling my wife I need a kayak or 2, she just doesn't seem to get it. We don't have much in the way of good rapids around here for kayaking anyways but... I still need a kayak.

Must be nice to be able to do bikin' and yakkin' the same night!

Jan 2004

Sounds like you have a classic canoe...

Quote Originally Posted by langford
    Yer pretty sharp for an old dude! I have a 1975 Cedar and Canvas 16' Langford canoe in my garage waiting to get recanvassed and back on the water. Been too busy with bikes and biking this spring to get any work done on it.

I do mostly flatwater stuff, I have 2 -16' fibreglass canoes too. I keep telling my wife I need a kayak or 2, she just doesn't seem to get it. We don't have much in the way of good rapids around here for kayaking anyways but... I still need a kayak.

Must be nice to be able to do bikin' and yakkin' the same night!
    Cedar and canvas, now there's a classic Langford canoe. Good luck getting it fixed.

Are you near the water? Can you get out paddling without driving? Do you have any local singletrack in your neighbourhood?

You don't need rapids to enjoy a kayak. Touring kayak's give you a terrific symmetrical upper body workout, to go with that lower body cycling workout. They can be lots of fun socially, if you have friends and neighbours who get out with you. Stow a beer or two in the kayak and enjoy.

We bike and kayak on the same day all the time, but that is not saying much, because we bike just about every day in the warm season. It is a lifestyle thing around here. We trade the car for a bike when we get home.

The kayaking is all flat water, but we are on a huge open part of the Ottawa River called Lac Des Chenes (Oak Lake). The flat water is up to 2 km wide and 40Km long. We have multiple paddling destinations, including beaches, islands, wetlands, parks, and so on. We prefer to get out when the water is glass smooth, but we also get out sometimes when there are whitecaps and swells.

Night kayaking is amazing. You can get out on the water when it is glass smooth, there are no power boats out, and all the stars are blazing in the country sky. It is particularly cool to watch the big orange harvest moon rise over the Gatineau Hills and glisten across the water, in the fall.

Some summer nights, we park our butts out a in the middle of the river, about a kilometer from either shore, and raft our boats, in the still darkenss. We sit back, enjoy a beer (or maybe a flask of Black Bush), chat under the stars, and play spot a satellite.

There is some serious destination resort whitewater kayaking, and rafting up river. I have some friends who do that too. I am content with the flat water touring.

Many of our friends also either run, or belong to, the Ottawa River Canoe Club, and are involved in racing. They race canoes, kayaks, and Dragon Boats.

old_dude

May 2004

Muddy - of course

I have been in the laketolake twice, Muddy = Yes. But, almost any mountain biking in the Niagara area is muddy in the spring. It's part of mountain biking here. I have never had to replace parts after the lake to lake, just make sure after the race to wash your bike and lubricate it. The middle part of the race is the muddy part.
    The organizers do a great job, with timing chips, food after the race/ride, water/food stations on course.
    I plan to race/ride it again this year.

There is a fall race/ride in the area call the Squeezer - it is usually the last week of sept. It is usually dry unless it rains just before the race.
    Last edited by Rock2; 06-06-2004 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by old_dude
    The kayaking is all flat water, but we are on a huge open part of the Ottawa River called Lac Des Chenes (Oak Lake). The flat water is up to 2 km wide and 40Km long. We have multiple paddling destinations, including beaches, islands, wetlands, parks, and so on. We prefer to get out when the water is glass smooth, but we also get out sometimes when there are whitecaps and swells.

Night kayaking is amazing. You can get out on the water when it is glass smooth, there are no power boats out, and all the stars are blazing in the country sky. It is particularly cool to watch the big orange harvest moon rise over the Gatineau Hills and glisten across the water, in the fall.

Some summer nights, we park our butts out a in the middle of the river, about a kilometer from either shore, and raft our boats, in the still darkenss. We sit back, enjoy a beer (or maybe a flask of Black Bush), chat under the stars, and play spot a satellite.
    I live in the wrong part of Ontario!

Apr 2004

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! just signed up for the event

Looks like there will be lots of mud after todays rain. If anyone else wants to ride on sunday hurry up. Online registration ends on Friday at 4:00pm .
    Personally I think that's paying $45 for unreversable damage to my bike is quite cheap hehe.

bi-winning

... and if we just ... rkj__ is now registered

Quote Originally Posted by jacek
    Looks like there will be lots of mud after todays rain. If anyone else wants to ride on sunday hurry up. Online registration ends on Friday at 4:00pm .
    Personally I think that's paying $45 for unreversable damage to my bike is quite cheap hehe.
    well, now i am officially registered. personally, i think that 45$ is a little pricy, but i usually only do this and the squeezer each year, so i suppose its worth it. weather looks good for the day of the event. too bad we got that downpour the other day. oh well. saturday is supposed to be nice as well, so that might help to dry up 1 or 2% of the mud . talked to somebody who prerode the course before the rain and they said it was muddy then. i'll definitely have my fenders on for this one. 50km is long by my standards, but i did it last year, so i suppose i'll be alrite. i have been riding so i should not have any major problems. did a 53km ride a week er 2 ago. its ok, i like the torture. i am not overly concerned about how i finish, i just want to finish as fast as i can, hopefully withought mechanical problems or injuries. i'll try to remember to bring the digi cam so i can post some pictures after the event. to everyone else going, good luck to ya, and c u there. it should be fun!

May 2004

I'm in!

I just signed up this morning also.
    I washed my bike last night, I guess that was a waste of time since I will have to wash it again on Sunday night.
    Looking forward to the race, I also have signed up with 3 of my friends.
    I always laugh later in the race, at the beginning of the race I am looking to avoid the mud and water holes, after about 15 kilometers I give up avoiding the water and take the shortest lines

bi-winning

Bike wash

Quote Originally Posted by Rock2
    I just signed up this morning also.
    I washed my bike last night, I guess that was a waste of time since I will have to wash it again on Sunday night.
    Looking forward to the race, I also have signed up with 3 of my friends.
    I always laugh later in the race, at the beginning of the race I am looking to avoid the mud and water holes, after about 15 kilometers I give up avoiding the water and take the shortest lines

i cleaned my bike up too. it's a little embarrasing to show up with your bike covered in mud when most people's bikes are all shiny. it is sorta pointless, but at least the drivetrain will be running smooth for the first kilometer or two

It is kinda funy how we all try to keep our bikes clean for the first little bit when it is so hopeless

attached is a pic of my clean bike took off the reflectors though...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Well, I have my first race under my belt, and did a lot of charcter building today. The race was muddy in spots, extremely slippery in one spot, but generally a nice variety of varying terrain. Everybody was polite and friendly and it was a great ride, but.....
    I got a flat rear tire, while still on the road and still in Port Colborne. My spare tube had a slow leak that I had to stop and pump up 5 or 6 times until about the 25 km mark of the race where I pinch flatted, then had to walk for about 20 minutes. Lucky for me, a nearby resident sold me a tube for $5 and I was able to continue on.

It was a beautiful day for the race, the mud didn't seem to wreck the bike other than getting it dirty, and I had a great time except for the flats and slow leaks. The bars in Port Dalhousie were great, it's too bad we had to drive home from there.

All the riders I passed and were passed by seemed happy with the race, didn't hear anyone complaining.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    i cleaned my bike up too. it's a little embarrasing to show up with your bike covered in mud when most people's bikes are all shiny. it is sorta pointless, but at least the drivetrain will be running smooth for the first kilometer or two

It is kinda funy how we all try to keep our bikes clean for the first little bit when it is so hopeless

attached is a pic of my clean bike took off the reflectors though...

Hey nice ride rkj..! Can't go wrong with a Giant (I have the 04 Rainier)
    Glad to hear that the race was fun and people were in high spirits..!! It was a beautiful day for it too... too bad about the flats though, but I guess it's all in the name of fun..!! MTBing kicks a$$..!!
    b_r

Apr 2004

Good job! Great day for racing

For me it was a great race too. Copule nice down hils with deep holes full of mud on the bottom - hehe. I thought I will be saving my bike but I decided not to after group of riders in front of me when through the muddy water and splashed all that on me.
    I was happy I could climb some of the steep uphills when other guys were walking. Then I was walking when some guys were climbing. There were some girls there - very competitive and fast!, I's sure some of them passed me. I was starting in the wave 3, and it was fun. It was funny when about 100 riders were passing narrow wooden bridge 1 by1 and rest just waiting for their turn that was somewhere in the middle of the course.
    Last 10k was hard because my gears and chain seemd to seized my bike sounded I like a crap and I could feel that my bottom bracket is gone - I hope not.
    I was happy I made it without a flat. I seen so many guys changing their tires even a 1km past start line . My time was 2:14 , the 1st place was something like 1:38 average 30km/h. I;m sure that guy was born with the bike attached to hus butt hehe
    I will post some( before and after ) pics later on .
    Jack

bi-winning

... and if we just ... Race report

Well, the lake to lake classic has come to an end, and i must say that i had an amazing time. The atmosphere at the event was great. It was like a great big bike show too. I love checking out everyone's fancy $$$ rides. There were all levels of riders there. Some people who came from out of town to win, some local racers, lots of locals who dont do a lot of races, and a bunch of recreational riders as well. There were 8 11yr. olds who completed the ~50km course, and one guy who was around 60. The course was surprisingly dry in most areas. The first dirt off of the road had a lot of puddles, and there was one other section that was REALLY slick due to the mud. Overall, fairly dry though. I, riding a hardtail, found the course to be rough in some sections, but that makes it challenging, and what fun would it be if it was all smooth . I was lucky, i had no flats (many people did) and no other mechanical difficulties. The bike held up great . This is my second time doing the lake to lake, and i found this time to be much easier. I'm sure for a number of reasons. I ride more this year than i did last year, more experience overall, and a dryer course. The winning times, as well as mine were a fair amount lower than last year. I finished in 2:12 and i was very happy with that. That time put me 167th out of ~1300 i believe, and 8/51 in the mens 15-18 group. I climbed hills that many walked, and that felt good. I did however walk some sections. Some areas, there was just too much traffic, even if you did want to ride I started in the second wave, and found that to be a good spot for me. I did take a spill, and mildly sprained my wrist. No big deal though. For at least a 15 minute section of the race there were no other riders in my sight. I was starting to get lonely I had a good finish as well. For the last few km i was really duking it out with some guy on a Specialized Hardrock. It was back and forth, back and forth. I ended up getting him at the end though. I put lots of air in my tires, and that really helped on the road and gravel sections. I also sprinted past a rider in the last few meteres. I enjoyed the technical decent by hydro hill. It was fun. Once again, i had a ton of fun! There are not enough events in niagara. But the 2 main ones that we have (lake to lake and squeezer) are always a blast. I stuck around for the awards and such after at My Cottage. They had a band, Amped. They played a few songs, and i thought they were good. The prizes were nothing to brag about. First finisher overall got a coffee maker and a nice little trophy. Others got thermoses, and a bowl full of strawberries . They also gave away 5 bikes. Sounds good, but 4 were raleighs from tim hortons(same ones as for roll up the rim) and 1 $700 Fuji.

All in all, i had a great time I also hope to participate in the lake to lake north in August.

I've got some pictures as well. the size limit is a pain though, i have to resize them all...

1 Eating energy bar before race.
    2 Me at start
    3 1st wave start
    4 Me after race
    5 Amped at My Cottage
    Last edited by rkj__; 06-21-2004 at 04:03 PM.

bi-winning

One more

Just one more pic of me in the race. got it from the Mike Cheliak Photography site. check to see if he got a shot of you if you were in the race.

Apr 2004

some pics

I checked 2 websites where photographers took the pictures.I found myslef on 3 pictures overall. But they have hundreds of pictures there. One was Buffalo Photography http://www.buffalophotocd.com and second was Mike Cheliak if I'm not mistaken you can get link to Mike's pictures from the site I posted above.
    Jack