Lake to Lake 2011- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Lake to Lake 2011

Hello to all - surprised there isn't a thread?

Any local knowledge about the route or route changes.

For me, this is like an annual physical - If I survive the day, then I get to live for another year, as there isn't anything I'll do where I challenge myself more than in this race.
    Last edited by pikester; 06-03-2011 at 01:23 PM.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Actually there has been zero chatter about this amongst the locals.
    I suspect the muddiest race ever.

They now have cash payouts now if you pay the $75 entry. Not sure if that will draw more people or not.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=thedumbopinion;8111953]

I suspect the muddiest race ever.

no no no, don't say that.

There have been too many mudfests, slide down into the ravine, crawl uphill on yer belly, sort of mudfests. Let's leave the jury out a least another week or so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    As of yesterday, riding my bike on ATV trails the trails are flooded... went through a "puddle" that turned out to be 3ft deep... but looking forward to my first Lake to Lake either way

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    If your bike is in need of a new drivetrain, this race should do it. Those ruts are so deep and full of water that somebody could dissapear in them. Preregistration is pretty low and $75 for the Elite wave is ridiculous. Just race the marathon series the day before and you will get a way better bang for your buck.

bi-winning
    I stopped doing this race several years ago. I don't miss it.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    I have a new drive train thanks to Paris to Ancaster.

People sound a little off of this race.

Nothing better than sitting in Lakeside Park post-race thinking about what you've accomplished.

Unlikely those ruts will dry?

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by pikester

Nothing better than sitting in Lakeside Park post-race
    Actually, several times I've showed up to Lakeside Park post race just to hang out. You can still get the best part of the race, without paying.

I'm in Niagara Falls, so it's not far.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Dont they re route or attempt to repair any of the bad sections ?
    How long are we talking ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy View Post
    Usually no re-route or any attempt to repair anything. That is what turn alot of local off about this race. The finish in the park is great and for sure is the best part of this race

Maddog
    Jan 2010
    I've always had fun at this race. Compared to the Paris to Ancaster, I think the course and scenery is a lot nicer. There are lots of sections of trail that are fun. There are some steep climbs but the course is more downhill than uphill. The trails that are rutted by ATVs can be treacherous. Usually you can ride between the ruts on "skinnies" but on race day unless you are at the front of first wave, they become greasy and hard to ride. For me, it is kind of a Father's day tradition. 4 or 5 of us from our family do the race , hang around the after race at the beach at Port Dalhousie for a while and then go back home and do the father's day thing.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    The repairs, blow-down removal and water drainage for last years L2L course was done by the ShortHills Cycling Club.
    Those in the Club that did this trail work last year don't seem so willing to tackle it again this time around.

The L2L race route will be very muddy this year and you might expect some of the worst sections in Dain City and Welland to be rerouted to the Canal Service Road, but who knows...

Registration for this race is very low right now and there just does not seem to be very much local interest in this event any longer.
    Sad because with the participaction levels dropping every year we might just see this race die.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Sounds a bit more encouraging.
    I'm up for a bit of "tough", but not "stupid" - so I hope a bit of re-routing is considered.

There is one steep ravine that I ski-ed down in my shoes - then found a friggin rope on the other side to pull myself up.

Skinnies between the ruts - I remember falling off and landing my whole hand and arm in a puddle.
    One minute later it was like I had a cast on my arm!

This has become a Father's Day ritual for me as well.
    If this attrition keeps up I have a real shot at the top 400!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My dad rode this for the first time 2 years ago after he started getting into riding. Busted 3 tubes during the race (had one spare, got another from a fellow racer, and rode to Canadian Tire for the third) and still finished!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    When I lived in st kitts I used to go sign up at bikefit on scott. I haven't done this race in a couple years so can someone confirm?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Can you only register online? I'm in st catharines and would rather sign up at a LBS if I could

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by doesnotcompute View Post
    When I lived in st kitts I used to go sign up at bikefit on scott. I haven't done this race in a couple years so can someone confirm?
    As far as I understand it Race Registration is ONLY available online through the OCA's registration system. It been that way for the past several years.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member

anyone have a report on conditions so far?

It could be dry this week but it sounds like there is still going to be a lot of the trail that is gong to be pretty muddy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am looking for tire set-up help for this years Lake to Lake.I have 2 wheels with Maxxis Igniters and second set of wheels with racing ralph on front and a specialized fastrack on the back .I have not done this race since 2008 so any input would br greatly appreciated.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    It could be dry this week but it sounds like there is still going to be a lot of the trail that is gong to be pretty muddy.
    We have pretty much had some rain everyday and not much has really dried.
    A steady soaking rain in Port Colborne over night.

The double track stone trail running through the Robin Hood area has a few large puddles along the route (as usual). Where that trail exits to run along the paved bike path there is an open section that has been the site of some construction. It is very rutted from heavy equipment tracks and wheels, this will be a tough section to cross especially with 26" skinny tire bikes. Expect a major slow down once the pack of riders hits that section, be prepared for it.
    I would recommend saying to the far left and keep your speed up.

A trail report from one of our club members.
    He tried to ride the Lake to Lake route from Port Colborne heading north on the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Report
    Too summarize, the trails are #*@t or missing under the waist high grass.

Definitely no one using these trails due to the constantly wet weather this year, the dirt bikes are staying as well so it looks like gravel road up to the trail tracks this year.
    Nevermind the squiters and ticks we disturbed on this ride today.

From Port Colborne, thru Dain City up to the Townline Tunnel, trails are good and that is where good ends.

1st trail section that runs from old Netherby back to the gravel road - overgrown and difficult to follow the path. From the ditch over a bump in the middle of a field and back to the gravel road wasn't all that bad.

Next section of trail from Ontario street - so overgrown we couldn't continue, the dirtbike ruts and ponds were hidden from view, turned back. Further down we took a trail back up and rode up to Lincoln street, growing in but manageable, just needs some care.

Lincoln Street up to the Main Tunnel - again, again overgrown and water filled tire tracks, can get around them but its slow.
    The wooden skid bridge is kaput.

After the main tunnel, trail looks good up to the golf course then all of a sudden the trail disappears in the weeds, really wet in spots, a few spots you had to dismount and jump across.

Mosquito alley - couldn't even see the entrance it was so overgrown so we didn't bother with that trail since it is wet on the driest of years.

The track between ES Fox and the Port Robinson Ferry - three really deep quad pits at the top, cannot get around them and they were full of water.

Hopefully Roundup becomes a race sponsor or they will neet some farm equipment equipped with bush-hogs and sprayers to make the south end ridable.

Turned back at the ferry - east side trails were awesome.
    One tick discovered.
    I'll be sitting this one out, it will be the first Lake to Lake I've missed in 8 years.

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Lake to Lake - I'm in again

I had thought about skipping this years edition due to the mud and personal fatness but re - thought the decision after my kids told me that I have to because they love the finish.

I'm registered and I'm excited to do the L2L again. I've only missed one year since 2000.

I don't understand some of the negative comments. I've always thought the race to be a fun, well organized event.

While it's true that this event is aimed at more of a recreational rider than the O-Cup series, I think that anytime you can get hundreds of Mountain Bikers together to play in the mud on a Sunday it has to be good for the sport.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Wow, after that report, and with no riding buddies able to make it, I'm really on the fence about this one.....

Maddog
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ganu View Post
    I had thought about skipping this years edition due to the mud and personal fatness but re - thought the decision after my kids told me that I have to because they love the finish.

I'm registered and I'm excited to do the L2L again. I've only missed one year since 2000.

I don't understand some of the negative comments. I've always thought the race to be a fun, well organized event.

While it's true that this event is aimed at more of a recreational rider than the O-Cup series, I think that anytime you can get hundreds of Mountain Bikers together to play in the mud on a Sunday it has to be good for the sport.
    I agree. I've always had fun. I ride a lot of groomed mountain bike trails but I also like riding the less groomed trails once in a while. It is more like an enduro race like the Paris to Ancaster but with the off road sections being more fun. Also going from one point to another makes you feel like you are going somewhere. I don't like the idea that some of sensitive mountain bike trails get damaged but I believe the only trails that they will be taking us on that might be sensitive are the ones down the escarpment that have pretty good drainage??? The rest of the off road is either gravel trails or trails that have been made by ATVs and dirt bikes

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    RACE REGISTRATION CLOSES JUNE 15th.

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This is always a fun event! I'll be at Port Dalhousie cheering and drinking Probably more of the latter!

mtb wipeout king
    i will be there, my kids like spending the day waiting on the beach for when i get there. conditions can't be worse then this years' P2A lol, at least it won't be snowing.

sock puppet

now you jinxed it...

Quote Originally Posted by Frosti View Post
    at least it won't be snowing.

mtbr member
    Just entered - in the end I just couldn't miss the L2L.

Felt confident about it not snowing ( see above)

After reading above about one person's attempt to pre-ride I hope this isn't a giant hike-a-bike race.

See ya Sunday - look for the Thin Blue Line with more paint chips that Benjamin Moore!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    According to the confirmation list there will only be 4 waves inlcuding the new Elite wave 1. I didn't want to pay the extra $$$ so I'm in wave 2, does anyone know what the time is between waves ?

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    According to the confirmation list there will only be 4 waves inlcuding the new Elite wave 1. I didn't want to pay the extra $$$ so I'm in wave 2, does anyone know what the time is between waves ?

Directly from one of the race organizers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake to Lake Events Inc.
    The Elite Wave will go first, with a five minute gap between waves 2 and 3.

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    How did you find the registration list?

How do you know you're in wave 2?

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by pikester View Post
    How did you find the registration list?

How do you know you're in wave 2?
    OCA Website
    http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_pa...prereglist.htm

mtb wipeout king
    is there any update on course conditions. I am trying to figure out my tire selection for the day.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosti View Post
    is there any update on course conditions. I am trying to figure out my tire selection for the day.
    Well most of the first half will be gravel path and all the regular singletrack trails in St. Catharines are bone dry. The stuff in between? Well its mostly ATV trail so people don't ride it much.

I would recommend something with very low rolling resistance and suffer through the muddy spots. Where there is mud it will be bad enough that everyone is suffering regardless of tire so...

Here's the latest from the organizer.

Went out this morning to take a look with Chris Lech. Mosquito Alley is rough, but dry, so we are putting that it. Whoop-D-Doo section is also in good shape, did a bunch of trimming and we will need to remove some old trees which are waist high across the trail, but it's still fun and fast.

The Elite Wave will go first, with a five minute gap between waves 2 and 3.

Remember number and T pick-up in Lakeside Park from noon to 4 on Saturday, as well as the last chance to register. If anyone would like to lend a hand setting up the finishing chute, we will begin at 4:30.

As a group of 5, we have definetly decidided this is our last L2L, so even if you are just spectating, come out and enjoy the day

mtb wipeout king
    ty , and it will be a shame if it is the last lake2lake, but we understand. i think i should have put in for wave 2, but picked wave 3 because i haven't trained as hard lol but still looking forward to the dip in the big pond at the end of the day.

TY also to those that did work on the course

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    That was last Lake to Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake to Lake Events Inc.

We have had alot of fun over the 13 years, and again thank-you to all who have helped us put on such a quality event.
    Of course you will see us at the Tour of Pelham and perhaps a modified Pond to Pond, but the Lake to Lake is officially finished.

Steve Bauer, Steve Bourne, Chris Lech, Jens Knof and Tim Lefebvre have left the "beach"!!

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member

so it is official. Thank you for all of the races over the

ten years that I have raced. Congratulations on pulling everything together yesterday. It was a great course, loved the single track. From what I was hearing before the race, I thought there would be a lot of mudholes, long grass but it was clean course all the way through. Thanks again for a great job.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My 6th year & this was the best I've seen this course, almost no water, very fast & lots of fun. Too bad it's the last year, it may have been my farourite race each year. Finally reached the podium with a 1st place in the 50 & up cat. (22nd overall)

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    This was my 3rd year. This was a great, fun race each year, regardless of the conditions. Thank you to all the organizers. Hate to see it go. I wish we had more point to point MTB races.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Well 2 weeks ago I predicted muddiest race ever. Oops. Actually it was the driest race ever.

I got asked to fill in on a team the night before was very very glad that I did. Such a fun day. Working hard with teammates, winning our category, beers on the beach, prefect weather and tons of friends to share it with.

Its been a while since I had so much fun while riding the race. Usually its so painful, and it definitely was at times, but yesterday was great out on course. I had my legs with me for most of it, some good laughs and teammates around to block the wind. Thanks guys.

The L2L went out on a high note. I'm actually going to miss it now.

BTW - Nice work Jackattack. I was glad to see you on the podium as I was the rider in the black jersey working with you in the final stretch.

mtb wipeout king
    I quite enjoyed myself this year (except for my spill at the bottom of brock hill), the single track was quite flowing. Wished I did better but not much i could do with bleeding on my leg and a swollen knee. TY again to the crew that put this together.

mtbr member
    What a great race / course !!!
    Wish I had done more of them .
    Is there a more detailed map of the course ?
    I want to know the aprox distance of those canal roads and
    where those sweet single track trails running down the hills in the forrest
    by St Catherines is .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lake to Lake 2011-dscf0486.jpg  

Lake to Lake 2011-snippet.jpg  

Lake to Lake 2011-dscf0499.jpg  

All my faucets is Moen.
    where those sweet single track trails running down the hills in the forrest by St Catharines is .
    I made you a MAP

The section rode in the L2L was...

off Decew Rd. to the west of Merritville Hwy. We took the gravel road around Lake Gibson and cut back across the small bridge to get in.

Then we took the trail to the area North of Brock University. That was the section with the sweet descent down the escarpment.

Next we took the trail all the way down the East side of the 12 Mile creek to the 406 and headed west.

However if you come ride in St. Catharines you must check out the areas on the west side of the 12 Mile Creek. You can explore. There are easier trails on the bottom of the ridge and some sweet singletrack up on top.