Kolapore- Mtbr.com

Thread: Kolapore

Mid Pack
    Jul 2005

Kolapore

I was wondering if Kolapore is still a ride able place . I use to go their at least 5 times a year but that was 6 yrs ago

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Still awesome!
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

mtbr member
    Ride report???
    I gotta get over there this year

humber river advocate
    haven't been there in a while. wonder how overgrown all the trails are?

if you head up there i suggest you check out this place also. top notch...

Home
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post

Home
    Do they have a specialty?

mtbr member
    Shouldnt' be, the trails get a lot of riders through. Haven't been this year but last year we had some great rides at Kolapore.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Near north View Post
    Do they have a specialty?
    nope, what they cook is what you get. the owner has been voted as having several stars by the "michelin guide" (in other words very good)...
    broadcasting from
    "the vinyl basement"

build trail!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007

Home
    When checking out the Highlands Provincial course, we happened on this place by chance. Didn't have time to stop for a meal, but bought some tasty baked goods. Looks amazing - another Stadtlander project. Can't wait to go back.

Live Free or Ride!

Kolapore

I was @ Kolapore bout 3 weeks ago. Majority of the trails were good, some were quite overgrown. I guess b/c of the rain this year the grass is huge, so even if the trail itself is clear the grass along side is 3ft high. Good ridin tho. try three stage or Blue.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have also been to Kolapore a handfull of times this year. Always great riding!

banned
    Mar 2005
    nope, what they cook is what you get. the owner has been voted as having several stars by the "michelin guide" (in other words very good)...
    You eat there? I have, as well as his first place at the farm a few miles away in the back country. He caters mostly to the rich and jaded that live in those million dollar homes and condos in Mulmur and the Collingwood area. A nice alternative to the private golf and ski club dining rooms. But so-so food at stupid prices, the bakery sucks...his son used to sell stuff at the Creemore Farmer's Market last year but got kicked out because he didn't care about sanitation. The kid looked bored silly, the baked goods were slimy and covered in flies.

Last time I ate at his place I needed to make reservations 9 weeks out.

If you're into that kind of dining up here, you get more bang for your buck and much better food at The Beild House (my favourite place) in Collingwood. It's owned by Mr. Christie's (the cookie guy) grandson, or try Chez Michelle in Creemore or FUD in Edenvale.

Jeez, even the places at The Village at Blue offer better stuff...

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post
    You eat there? I have, as well as his first place at the farm a few miles away in the back country. He caters mostly to the rich and jaded that live in those million dollar homes and condos in Mulmur and the Collingwood area. A nice alternative to the private golf and ski club dining rooms. But so-so food at stupid prices, the bakery sucks...his son used to sell stuff at the Creemore Farmer's Market last year but got kicked out because he didn't care about sanitation. The kid looked bored silly, the baked goods were slimy and covered in flies.

Last time I ate at his place I needed to make reservations 9 weeks out.

If you're into that kind of dining up here, you get more bang for your buck and much better food at The Beild House (my favourite place) in Collingwood. It's owned by Mr. Christie's (the cookie guy) grandson, or try Chez Michelle in Creemore or FUD in Edenvale.

Jeez, even the places at The Village at Blue offer better stuff...
    Interesting review! We got raisin-walnut buns there, which were very good (not covered in flies), but they were $5 a pop, which I considered pretty dear. (What's in them, bourbon??) The guy behind us was ordering a pizza, which sounded like it was going to be $20. The chatty intern-type at the counter said they had two German chefs doing the food.

Evil Jr.
    Ya, everything there was priced a bit on the high side ($8 granola, $3 coffee...) And they might want to reconsider it but I'd still give the pizza a shot.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Those buns were tasty! They were also rather dense, so the price-to-weight ratio may come out favorable in a comparison test.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Interesting review! We got raisin-walnut buns there, which were very good (not covered in flies), but they were $5 a pop, which I considered pretty dear. (What's in them, bourbon??)
    Oh, to keep on topic - I finally rode Kolapore for the first time in my life a couple of weeks ago. Loved it!!
    Jouko

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Ya, everything there was priced a bit on the high side ($8 granola, $3 coffee...) And they might want to reconsider it but I'd still give the pizza a shot.
    Stay away from the smoked mozzarella/beef tongue pizza...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    A revised management structure for the trails will be announced soon with a new Board of Directors. The board will have a newly expanded mandate from the MNR and Grey county to address summer time usage. Please continue to support this excellent trail system!

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Interesting review! We got raisin-walnut buns there, which were very good (not covered in flies), but they were $5 a pop, which I considered pretty dear. (What's in them, bourbon??) The guy behind us was ordering a pizza, which sounded like it was going to be $20. The chatty intern-type at the counter said they had two German chefs doing the food.
    Yep, he has quite the scam...there's a line-up of chefs from around the world waiting to do a three month internship, just to get him on their resume. Nothing like free help to reduce the overhead.

If you're up this way, try the bakery in Glen Huron.

In Toronto, I used to get my baked goods at Thuet's, on King W. But I hear that he now has several locations and he's baking for many of his outside customers...The Healthy Butcher used to carry his stuff, best croissants in Toronto.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    A revised management structure for the trails will be announced soon with a new Board of Directors. The board will have a newly expanded mandate from the MNR and Grey county to address summer time usage. Please continue to support this excellent trail system!
    The province needs to redefine the "bicycle" Ever since McGuinty include e-bikes in the definition to show us how green he is, I'm seeing a lot more motorized bikes, not only on the side-walks (legal because of the small wheels), but on the bike paths and XC trails.

They go up to 34km/hr and are still considered bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Mr. Christie's (the cookie guy)
    The Christie's own a beautiful little tucked away farm in Mulmur. They've owned it for decades. Easily one of the most secluded and beautiful properties in all of Mulmur. Super nice people.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    The Christie's own a beautiful little tucked away farm in Mulmur. They've owned it for decades. Easily one of the most secluded and beautiful properties in all of Mulmur. Super nice people.
    Stephanie and Jim?

Who knew?

But yes, they're great. The hospitality at The Beild House is outstanding, as is the food.

Anyone wanting a great experience when biking up here, they need 24 hours advance notice for dinner with your menu selections, but it's BYOB with no corkage charge, I usually bring some port and cognac for after dinner (Steph likes her port) and we go until after 11:00 PM, then grab a bedroom upstairs if no one wants to be a designated driver...

They're on Pine St and Third in Collingwood.

Beild House Country Inn & Spa - Gallery

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Stephanie and Jim?

Who knew?
    I just know it as the Christie farm, my grandfather farmed the land for as long as I can remember and some relatives maintain the property.

Evil Jr.
    Disclaimer: This is not bickering - strictly information, I swear!

I didn't think Michelin had rated anything in Canada yet so I popped over to their website (made me look, ) and found this in the FAQ:

Quote Originally Posted by michelintravel.com
    Which North American cities have Michelin Guides available? What are your expansion plans in North America? Do you have any plans to expand into Canada?
    The Michelin Guide collection in North America currently includes the Michelin Guide New York City and the Michelin Guide San Francisco, Bay Area & Wine Country. Our plan is to expand to other North American cities over the next several years. We have received many inquiries about Canadian cities, and these are certainly among the destinations we are considering.
    That's not to say that he isn't highly rated. Eigensinn Farm has been rated as high as the ninth "best" (whatever that means) restaurant in the world. Not too shabby!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    I just know it as the Christie farm, my grandfather farmed the land for as long as I can remember and some relatives maintain the property.
    Nice area...my sister owned a couple of farms on the west side of Airport Road, around Concession 21 ( up the Escarpment behind Foxy's) sold the last 50 acres at a stupid price last year but she's keeping her membership at Mansfield.

I had an offer in for that farm on the NW corner over the hill from MOC (Concession 20?...the road to Terra Nova) a few years ago, but the vendor wouldn't negotiate enough to make it happen.

So we bought the farm at Craigleith, the property behind Georgian Peaks on Concession 7, across the road from what's now the Georgian Bay Club.

mtbr member
    Excellent ride !!
    Take off that third ring& replace it with a rock ring & have fun !!!