in Kingston On. area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

New question here. in Kingston On. area

I'm looking for new places to ride in the Kingston ON. area. I live right next to the Collins Bay trail, so I ride that all the time. I've to to the Brock Tel - loved it, but I'm looking for something new. Any suggestions?

Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jlooman
    I'm looking for new places to ride in the Kingston ON. area. I live right next to the Collins Bay trail, so I ride that all the time. I've to to the Brock Tel - loved it, but I'm looking for something new. Any suggestions?
    I am not from the k-town area but my fav trail is right next to you in Picton(I take the ferry instead of the 401)) the trails are in some sanctuary/park...mccausley mountain.....something like that. can't remember the name but it is easy to find in the trail reviews on this site. This is smooth trail not the usual east coast rock and root fest. That shouldn't deter you though because this is some pretty fun singletrack. particular attention should be paid to the trail called groovy tuesday, which is all twisty and kinda banked, you will fly. The ride should start with a quick stop by the trail map by the pond because this is a trail system not a loop. you will see what I mean when you get there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I rode McCauly mountain a few weeks ago. I found it to be a bit boring. The bottem was okay, but not very challenging and too short, the mountain itself was just crazy - straight up and straight down. I don't mind downhils but there has to be a bit of a point to it!

Oct 2005

Attention all Macaulay Mountain riders

I think this maybe the thousandth time I've had to tell people this one. Macaulay is not short, full of roots and rocks and off-chamber. One of the problem is that nothing is signed, and the cause of that is local f*ckwad kids tearing them down. The other is that it's such a small piece of land that trail is packed into with intersections everywhere, making it hard to keep track of where you are. It's a system that you either need to ride a bunch of times with a map, or ride with the locals. Which can be done 3 times a week with someone from the Bloomfield Bicycle Company (http://torontocyclist.com/bbc/6club.html) about their club rides. (http://torontocyclist.com/bbc/macaulay.html) a little bit about Macaulay. As the name suggests they're in Bloomfied (Next town west of Picton 7km). They'll hook you up with a map, and/or suggest some trails. Or if you're coming down send me an e-mail or a PM, and if I'm free I'll come and show you how rocking Macaulay is. I live 3 mins away and have been riding their for 3 years.

Here's what someone had to say about the trails.

"Tough, demanding climbs, fast downhills, steep gnarly descents, challenging technical sections, Superior bike-handling skills required. Strong tolerance for pain an asset. Sense of humor necessary.

Singletrack
    Hardpack with soft, rooty sections
    Hard to extreme
    Unmarked network on the bottom, top and slope of an escarpment 40-meter (131 foot) forested escarpment
    Lookout platforms, hemlock stands, varied terain, 80 different birdhouses
    Engaging creation

When the Bloomfield Bicycle Club began reclaiming old trails at Macaulay Mountain Conservation Area in 1996, the club members & other local riding enthusiasts gathered religiously on-site, Tuesday nights, to create a highly stimulating singletrack playground.

The conservation area encompasses a 40-meter (131 foot) escarpment in the shape of a question mark. Its slopes are covered in mixed forest, hemlock stands, and cedar groves with the exception of a few cleared streaks in the east where tubing and tobogganing are offered in winter. Threading the park are 11km (7miles) of hiking and cross-country skiing trails. Three main routes stretch the length of the escarpment: along the bottom, the top & middle.

Essentially, Bloomfield Bicycle Club developed up and down transitions between main trails, along with a tightly wound ball of track through hemlock the the bowl of the escarpment's question mark. Bridges were built, traverses were reinforced, and a windchime of bicycle tubes was hung along a series of hairpin turns they call Groovy Tuesday.

While the main trails, which have been around for years, are singletrack challenges in their own right,with roots, rocks and serious climbs, the new trails are nervy. Transitions are steep and deep with gnarly narrow traverses. The maze of track in the hemlock bowl twists over a rattle of roots with quick drops and climbs among handlebar-width tree trunks. Get to the top and you're on a flat, gravel-strewn ridge run though maples to platforms over-looking Picton Bay.

And a later update can be found at http://torontocyclist.com/bbc/articles/maint2000.html

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just getting tired of people bashing my local trails that I help build and maintain just because they can't find there way around.

Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduro_Man

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just getting tired of people bashing my local trails that I help build and maintain just because they can't find there way around.

hear! hear! these trails are some of my favorites and I don't even live in ontario.

SASQUATCH!
    My in-laws have a cottage close to the trail system and my wife has often suggested that I take my bike along when we visit. Having read the somewhat uninspiring reviews that you mentioned, I always figured it was too much bother for so-called "boring" trails.

Next time I'll be bringing the bike.

Thanks for the heads-up Enduro!

Oct 2005
    Yeah bring your bike and explore. It's such a small area that you can't get lost, so take different turns. As I said a map in hand while on the trails is really worth it, and can be picked up the bloomfield bicycle Company. They sometime have some photo copies of the map in the building by the parking lot if they're open. As i have mentioned in other posts, if you're coming down to the area e-mail me or PM me, and if I'm free i'd be more then happy to show anyone the trails.

Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by big_olly
    Next time I'll be bringing the bike.

Thanks for the heads-up Enduro!
    earlier in this thread i mentioned a trail to try out called groovy tuesday but I think it may be called ruby tuesdaay.... not sure but it has tuesday in the name either way it is a short section of trail that is fast and twisty with these sort of natural berms... two great decriptions of a trail IHO

Jul 2006
    Head to J & J cycle, plunk down $100 for a jersey and you can ride on their private trails. I here they are good.

Jul 2006
    Make that "I hear they are good." Damn, I can't speeel.

mtbr member
    I used to live in Belleville and Trenton. Mcauley Mtn was one of my favourite places to ride. Not the longest trail system but incredibly fun.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you do that can you ride other than on Wednesdays? I always seem (or rather one of my kids) to have something going on Wednesdays so I can't do the rides J&J holds?

Jan

Members who have read this thread: 0