Kelso up a buck +- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Kelso up a buck +

Conservation Halton just kinda snuck this onto their website (no press release), but for 2005 it'll set ya back $7 for a day of mountainbiking.

Mountain Bike Fee (includes admission & trail tag) - $7.00

Daily Mountain Bike Trail Tag - $1.00

The real killer is the new $1.00 a day sticker fee for mountain bikers who have bought season passes. Still cheap, but.....

They say I have a problem
    That kinda sucks, but hey we have to do our part to finance the area or we will lose it...Now the question is will there be new interesting trail there or just old stuff they have now...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

LBS Manager

Thats fair

Its alot cheaper than what Hardwood Hills takes you for. I never liked Kelso anyway one big climb at the start then its flat for the rest of the trail. I like rolling hills more like Albion hills conservation area. I guess the downhill run isn't bad if thats what your into though.

They say I have a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy
    Its alot cheaper than what Hardwood Hills takes you for. I never liked Kelso anyway one big climb at the start then its flat for the rest of the trail. I like rolling hills more like Albion hills conservation area. I guess the downhill run isn't bad if thats what your into though.
    I'd have to agree that it is cheaper then Hardwood, but you have way more trail at Hardwood...And Albion definitely is fun...I'll have to hit both places this summer...I'll probably skip Kelso this year since I use to live in Milton and ride it at least twice a week...
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

TT.
    wheeler
    Feb 2004
    they better be cutting some more trails then... and allow us to ride the east side of the mountain too ... the price has been going up each year..do we get more trails??? NO (well they cut some lame shortcuts and smit and called them trails) $7....whadda joke
    I Ride, I Know

Bike Junkie

Eroded

I used to ride Kelso a bunch of time. Last year I did it just once. In 2003 I found that the trail was getting way too eroded and the trail closed a whole bunch of times when it was a little wet. I understand that conservation angle; but I found it more worth while to drive to Ravenshoe or Albion Hills especially.

And like the other poster said, there's one BIG hill and the flats all around. And if you start at the back entrance the whole ride is a cake walk. I admit the extreme trail is fun to ride 3-4 times though.

I agree that HH is expensive; but they put up a good show.

Too bad about Dagmar it had some of the toughest hills climbs and technical terrain you can get in the outer rim of the GTA.
    See You On The Trails!

mtbr member
    Aside from the price going up (which doesn't surprise me), what I find ridiculous is the extra $1 fee you have to pay each time even though you have season pass?!? WTF is up with this?? That's the most blatant money grab yet. Don't sell me a season pass at one price, and then tell me I have to pay more each time I want to use it! A "daily mountain bike trail tag"?!!? It's a bad joke, not even funny...
    What I want to know is whether Hilton Falls will go the same route?... Last year I had one season pass for both Kelso and HF, so I wonder if that rule (and/or fee increase) will apply in HF too.
    Now, on the trail closure issue that plagued Kelso for the past few seasons, I totally understand the sensitivity of the area, and that it's a Conservation area first. What bothers me though, is the fact that when you pay for a season pass there, you really don't know how much value will you be getting for your money, it seems that for every open trail day there was one day of closure last few seasons. And now they raise the entry fee, and I imagine the season pass price too, AND tack on that ridiculous 1 buck "trail tag" charge on top of it?!
    And it's not even like we're being spoiled with anything new there, except for new shortcuts resulting from some trails being closed for various reasons (i.e. regrowth, erosion etc.). To the contrary, Halton Conservation authority decided to destroy a big chunk of the hillside where the Defibrilator climb used to be, to put in a snow tube slide (?!?!)...
    Bottom line, Kelso is starting to piss me off more and more. They say some things, and then their actions contradict that. One thing is for sure, there's no real commitment to mountain biking there (IMO). I like riding there, and it's one of the 2 only locations (HF being 2nd) that I can get to during the week after work, as I live in Mississauga, so it's really frustrating when you see what's happening there.

Arek

mtbr member

all Halton areas affected

Quote Originally Posted by Arek
    Aside from the price going up (which doesn't surprise me), what I find ridiculous is the extra $1 fee you have to pay each time even though you have season pass?!? WTF is up with this?? That's the most blatant money grab yet. Don't sell me a season pass at one price, and then tell me I have to pay more each time I want to use it! A "daily mountain bike trail tag"?!!? It's a bad joke, not even funny...
    What I want to know is whether Hilton Falls will go the same route?... Last year I had one season pass for both Kelso and HF, so I wonder if that rule (and/or fee increase) will apply in HF too.
    Now, on the trail closure issue that plagued Kelso for the past few seasons, I totally understand the sensitivity of the area, and that it's a Conservation area first. What bothers me though, is the fact that when you pay for a season pass there, you really don't know how much value will you be getting for your money, it seems that for every open trail day there was one day of closure last few seasons. And now they raise the entry fee, and I imagine the season pass price too, AND tack on that ridiculous 1 buck "trail tag" charge on top of it?!
    And it's not even like we're being spoiled with anything new there, except for new shortcuts resulting from some trails being closed for various reasons (i.e. regrowth, erosion etc.). To the contrary, Halton Conservation authority decided to destroy a big chunk of the hillside where the Defibrilator climb used to be, to put in a snow tube slide (?!?!)...
    Bottom line, Kelso is starting to piss me off more and more. They say some things, and then their actions contradict that. One thing is for sure, there's no real commitment to mountain biking there (IMO). I like riding there, and it's one of the 2 only locations (HF being 2nd) that I can get to during the week after work, as I live in Mississauga, so it's really frustrating when you see what's happening there.

Arek
    I called HRCA and they have said for all Conservation Areas there will be a $1.00 trail tag
    Even if you have a Annual Pass there will still be a $1.00 'added' fee. Ive asked for a 'press release' which I will post here. (Left message with Carol [email protected] 905-336-1158)
    to clarify (justify-should be more like it!)
    Wonder if they charge the XC skiers an additional fee.
    Arek, im with you, I live in Oakville and Kelso and Hilton Falls are on my places to go right after work. Hilton more so than Kelso, just because it never seems to be as busy, ride for hours without seeing anyone
    At the very least they should honor their Annual pass holders (mine is good until Nov.05) and not charge them the extra fee until their renewal...

Cheers

I already rode that
    Yeah they should "honor" the current trail pass holders and not charge them the dollar each time they want to ride there.
    Think I'll stick to Durham and the Rouge...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb
    Yeah they should "honor" the current trail pass holders and not charge them the dollar each time they want to ride there.
    Think I'll stick to Durham and the Rouge...
    I thought the Rouge was closed to mountain bikes?

I already rode that
    People ride there but occasionally you do get disgruntled hikers telling you shouldnt be there (upper parts) the lower parts is ok to ride. My friend showed me how to ride from the rouge to seaton so sometimes I'll do that. The Seaton is closed off to bikes but I never had any disgruntled hikers or anyone else there tell me I shouldnt be there. I know I know I'm evil

livin' large
    And they wonder why people sneak in through the back without paying! Thats ridiculous as a 4 year pass holder I'm pissed, The pass price has been steadily going up for years with no real value added. It seems most pass holders are mountainbikers, or rock climbers (for rattlesnake, nemo, and kelso) or both.

I have yet to see anyone checking trail passes, and know of many ways to avoid the gates at these areas, but I pay to support the trails and be a good mountainbiker/climber.

I may just have to ride the miles of other free trails in the area and not bother with boring Kelso (which hasn't changed in years)
    it tied the room together man!

rad to the power of sick
    Sigh... 7$ for kelso? You can only ride the same trail so many times. Considering the fact that the single track is wide and uninspiring i really don't see why i should pay 7$.

Waterdown yeehaw!

Cheers
    Aaron
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

I already rode that
    That pass also lets you ride across the road at halton unless that was changed as its been like 3-4 years since I rode at either. Which isnt that far a bike ride away from Kelso.

suck it trebeK
    Albion Hills rose their general entry fee slightly too, I think to 4.50 (not a big deal, only .50cents). When you look at HH, Albion Hills is a real gold mine.

Anyone know what will happen to the trails at Dagmar? Are they just for hiking now or something?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    WOW.. I remember back in the day when Kelso was free.. we parked on the streets for free... we rode for free...

As much as I like two of the runs at Kelso and the climb.. I probably will be spending more of my riding time at Durham forest, Glen Major and Ravenshoe.

I'm finally getting my bike in mid April!!!!!!

YAHOO.. finally getting back into the saddle again.

mtbr member

Compromise..for now!

Just got a letter from Conservation Halton....

Re:Cycling Tag

"...As as result of our review and considering the concerns of our customers, we will be honouring all passes that were purchased in 2004 and that expire in 2005. What this means is that for those cyclists who present an annual pass that expires in 2005, the $1.00 fee will not apply...Staff are also proposing a seasinal tag for the balance of the year. This proposal will be going before the board for approval on June 2nd.
    In closing, I would be interesred in your thoughts about a yearly cycling pass. What priviledes should it provide to the cyclist? What is a reasonable fee? Should it allow access to other Conservation Areas for hiking, cross country sking, etc? Should the pass only be for cycling at Hilton Falls and Kelso?...."
    Ron Kindt
    Conservation Halton

For me, Im happy that they have decidied to honour thir passes...as for the next step, I would prefer a full accesss pass, which includes biking,hiking, XC skiing at all consrvation areas.
    It would make sense to have different passes for different folks....
    Full access pass
    Cycling Only pass
    maybe a sport pass...Cycling and skiing?

I dont mind buying the annual pass to help conservation lands...at least I know the money is being used to protect the land for future users.

What are your thoughts? "What is a reasonable fee?"

I'll wait for some feedback here before responding to Ron and I thank him and Conservation Halton for responding to me

Cheers

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    I kind of like the idea of a cycling only trail pass being available.

There are probably quite a few annual pass holders who only use the parks that have bike trails in them, and aren't really getting all the value of the membership that they paid for.

If they had a reduced price membership for cycling only, say $50 or so, they might cut down on the number of people who come in through the "back door", and actually capture some of the lost revenue that necessitated the increase in price for a trail pass in the first place.

Just a thought.