Kelso Race series anyone?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Kelso Race series anyone?

So this will be my second year racing and I am looking forward to it. http://www.conservationhalton.on.ca/...fm?itemid=9430 for anyone interested

mtbr member
    I have never been to Kelso, but I think I will sign up this year!

mtbr member
    I'm in for sure. I made it to one of the weekly races last year and it was a blast.

I can't wait to get out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber495
    I have never been to Kelso, but I think I will sign up this year!
    If your a good hill climber then u should be fine, and the people are really nice.

mtbr member
    Last year was tons of fun! I'll be back for sure!!!

As far as hill climbing ability, if you don't have it at the start of the series, you certainly will have it by the end of the series!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by langford
    Last year was tons of fun! I'll be back for sure!!!

As far as hill climbing ability, if you don't have it at the start of the series, you certainly will have it by the end of the series!!

I am ok with hills. Perhaps at the end of the season I will no longer be a clyde

Loving Life
    I'll be doing this series again this year, gotta defend the title . It's a great way to get some top end in during the week and have some fun. With the start time being a bit later it's easy to do some pre ride hours before the race as well. I'd recommend for anyone who's new to racing to definitely come out and try it, there are different categories for different skill levels and everyone's nice.

lookin forward to it!

mtbr member
    What is the typical course length for the different categories?

Loving Life
    it's basically a choice between 1, 2 or 3 laps and I think they name them beginner, sport and expert if I remember correctly. Each lap is about7-8km and they're fast laps. The first rider in the 3 lap category will come in at roughly 50-55mins.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've done a few of races the last two years and it's a great time. Singing up for the series again this year and with any luck I'll actually do most of them

Loving Life
    I rode the course yesterday, it's about 6km and took around 16mins to do at a light tempo pace. It seems a little short and fast compared to last year but that could be because it's the first course of the year. I'd like to see them switch up the courses more often this year, last year we would use the same course3-4 weeks.

Keep in mind that the rock section of Fire has been shifted a bit so climbing that section has changed and will probably surprise you at first. It's still easily ridable, just different from last year, I think a couple of rocks has been moved around. I'd definitely recommend riding it before the race so the bottle neck effect doesn't get you

mtbr member
    A reminder! Show up next Tuesday May 17 to register for the series, save some $$$, iinfo below from CH website:

Pricing & Registration Info:

Pre-Registration Night is May 17th - PLEASE come out to complete your paperwork and take advantage of some great savings opportunities.

Cost for the ENTIRE series is $70 + HST (only $5 a race!) and we are encouraging everyone to do this. Even if you are going to miss a few this is the best way to go.

For those that just can't commit, cost for individual events is $13 + HST.

As always, everyone will need a valid trail pass during the race. These can be purchased daily at the gatehouse for $6.25 inc HST but a better way to go is with a Conservation Halton Annual Pass which gets you in to all the parks for 365 days.

An individual pass goes for $90 + HST but if you purchase on May 17th or at the Toronto International Bike Show with your race registration we'll take $15 off so you get the whole package for $165 inc HST. Sweet. (sorry, we can't rebate anyone that has already purchased their pass)

Or even sweeter: purchase the family/car pass, which usually goes for $115 + HST, on May 17th or at the Bike Show, along with your race registration, and we'll take almost $20 off so you get this package for $190 inc HST. Do your racing pals a favour by getting the car pass and get them into the parks for nixie: it's sure to pay off in that special way friends say "thanks"!

These deals are only available each day of the Toronto International Bike Show (4th, 5th and 6th March) or at the Pre-Registration Open House on 17th May at the Sunset Day Lodge, Kelso. After that, normal prices apply.

Bottom line is that you want to be a part of this and you want to tell your friends too.

So, a quick re-cap:
    Bike Show/17th May Package #1 (Individual Annual Pass)
    Race Series Fee $79.10 incl HST
    CH Individual Pass $85.90 incl HST (usually $101.70)
    Total $165

Bike Show/17th May Package #2 (Family/Vehicle Pass)
    Race Series Fee $79.10 incl HST
    CH Family/Vehicle Pass $110.90 incl HST (usually $129.95)
    Total $190

Individual Race Entry (only available for purchase at race events)
    Race Entry $13.75 incl HST
    Park Entrance Fee $6.25 incl HST
    Total $20

mtbr member
    I will be there on the 17th. Gonna save some $ and shred some trail. I will hopefully be there in the morning/noon time so maybe we can do some mock racing and ride as a group. I'm gonna be riding a dark blue Rocky Element 30, my buddy will have a white Rocky Element sport. Hope to see some of you there.

Loving Life
    I'll be there around 4:00. Hopefully there will be some other people to do a couple race pace laps with. The forecast isn't great but the rain is supposed to be under 1mm so it should be fairly ridable.

mtbr member
    Fresh news frrom Roger hisself (chief dispenser of Scottish race information @ Kelso):

Hello Everyone – greetings from the Kelso Mountain Bike Race Series team.

A wee reminder that that we are hosting a registration / Open House on Tuesday 17th May from 5:30pm to 8:00pm which is now in the Main Chalet. (Not Sunset Day Lodge as previously advertised; there is no access to the bridge while they install a new elevator).

Enter the park through the Main Gate at Kelso Road. You don’t need to pay to get in, but if you intend to ride after registering, then please place your annual pass receipt on your dashboard. Please park in the small lot on the left when you reach the Learning Centre ski/snb slopes. Go through the tunnel and into the Main Chalet. Head up stairs to complete the race registration form, annual pass form and waiver, and then go down stairs to pay (cash, credit, and debit accepted) and receive your number plate. Full pricing info (including savings) is on Series web page (link is below my signature).

On the 17th, as well as reps from MEC and Jamis hopefully offering some demo bikes to try, there will be a few race staff around to chit chat with and hopefully the weather will dry up, so you can try out the first course.

The course is already marked with blue and white markers and the route is posted on the website (click blue link below). The loop is 5.6km. The easiest way to find the Race Series web page is to click the Take it Outside Park Events button (pink) on the home page of the Conservation Halton website. Although the course will be marked, the actual races don’t begin until the 24th May.

There are three race categories, each completing a different amount of loops – to choose from:

Expert – 3 loops
    Sport – 2 loops
    Beginner – 1 loop
    We’ve also got the free Kids Course, which uses a 2km loop around the bottom of the slopes.

By registering and buying your annual pass on the 17th May, you will save some money, and save the hassle and stress of trying to register on the eve of the first race.

Races begin weekly on Tuesday 24th May running until the end of August. Each week registration is open in the Sunset Day Lodge from 5:30pm to 6:30pm and the races begin at 6:45pm. At around 8pmish – when the last racers finish, we will hold the weekly raffle giving away some sooooperb bike store swag.

I’m in the process of putting together some tunes, but we welcome your playlists as well – so long as there is no colourful language! Does anyone have some Boney M?

Check out our magnificent 2011 sponsors below made up of MEC in Burlington, Bicycle Works in Waterdown, Via Ciclante in Streetsville, Brant Cycle in Burlington, Jamis Bicycles – everywhere, Cyclepath in Oakville, and Freewheel in Dundas. Their support helps make this a top quality race series, so please offer them some cheers when you visit their stores or see them at the races.

I will still be the regular contact for any Series related enquiries, but all other Kelso mountain bike related matters should be directed to Simon Holden, Manager of Programs and Services ([email protected]; 905 878 5011 ext. 245). My family and I are moving back to Scotland in September to take over the family farm (and cut some trails!!), so I am no longer working as the Snow School Manager or Mountain Bike Coordinator, but I’m still going to help run the race series.

That’s it for now. Hopefully see you all on Tuesday.

Has it stopped raining yet?

Roger Howison

Mountain Bike Race Series Kelso Conservation Area t. 905 878 5011 ext 243 www.conservationhalton.ca www.gleneden.on.ca

mtbr member
    Got registered and my number plate

mtbr member
    me too!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am registered for the series too. In reading the rules I signed up to do 2 laps. I am in horrendous shape at the moment, just getting back into racing, but wondering if they would ever give the option on a particular night to do the 3 lap race? or would you need to move up to the level permanently? No likely to happen, but might be something to work towards. Since the loop is about 5km....one might be able to get in 3 laps in just over an hour?

Loving Life
    You can move up or down when ever you want you just need to make sure that you tell them and they will give you a different number plate for that race.

Most of the races are7-8km in length, the first course for the the first couple weeks is usually a little more tame and shorter to help ease into things. Don't hesitate to try and move up, there's no minimum speed you have to ride so if you're not sure how you'll do then just start in the back and set your own pace.

I signed up today as well. I was out riding the trails until it starting pouring, so my ride turned into hill repeats up ascension, until I tore a knob and flatted. Called er quits went home and finished the ride on the trainer. Hopefully next week will be a little dryer...

mtbr member
    How long does it typically take for Kelso to dry out after the rain? I have never ridden the trails, but would like to check them out this Saturday without causing any damage.

mtbr member
    well its not gonna dry up anytime soon as is will be raining for the next couple of days.

mtbr member
    I heard trails were pretty mucky last night, best to stay off them - Kelso used to close the trails at the first sight of rain, this year they stay open, will be interesting to see how that works out...
    Usually a couple of sunny or windy dry days and things are fine - the new budlight lime green weather network forecast says dry, warm and light winds til Sunday, trails might be ok for Saturday.....

mtbr member
    Well, I signed up for the series. My Tuesday commitments finally ended and I figured it was a better deal (financial and motivational) to sign up for the whole thing.

After a pretty dismal may/early June, I'm starting to pull everything together and last night was the best I've felt on a bike since early April. T

The course was fantastic. 2 pre-laps and 3 race laps and I wanted to do more (well, maybe not the climb up, plus Langford had a beer waiting for me at the line).

Tried not to push my way to the front off the start given my recent racing results, so I just hung back. Got a little tied up on the first climb, but managed to slowly pick people off and felt good the entire race.

Note: I'm not the strongest on the flats but I felt like a old Chevette with a Corvette chasing me down when those 29'r folks hit the double track. Gotta try one of those.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 06-22-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0